One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-12 18:55:48

Matbat

What would a city of 50 people look like?

Imagine some day OHOL gains traction over a series of quality updates or sudden popularity and the BS2 starts to average hundreds of players daily.
To consistently support 50 players in a city what would be needed that's different from what is currently done?

Some of my thoughts:
Two Bakeries
Large sprinkler farms (kind of necessary)
Well Building (Building to house the well, for consistent protected production of water)

Last edited by Matbat (2020-08-12 18:56:24)

#2 2020-08-12 19:37:25

jinbaili83

Re: What would a city of 50 people look like?

It will need janitors working for whole their lives . Bussy towns turn in to garbage dumps fast. Random seeds, bones of ancestors, misplaced items, all will cover every inch of town and make living in them miserable.

#3 2020-08-12 22:47:41

DestinyCall

I have been in towns of 50+ players before ... but the majority of the population was starving babies at the time so it wasn't much fun to play.

To make a functional town with 50+ people is technically possible, but frankly not worth the effort, because of the way that iron/oil/water work.   Even if the player population was high enough to create a mega city, the infrastructure required to keep a town that size alive in the long run would be astronomical.

Because of homelands, we can't create multicultural bell towns anymore.  Yet we are reliant on oil to keep a town alive past mid-game, so all three races need to be involved to sustain the town.   More people means more water/iron gets used, which means more oil is needed.  Fresh oil deposits are further away and harder to find.   Coordination between villages is slow and challenging.

Everything basically depends on veteran players using mods  or discord to communicate with people living in different places so what needs to happen actually gets done in time.

Ultimately, if we had a larger population, it would make more sense to split us up into multiple small villages, rather than encouraging players to keep mega cities alive.

The end-game is just a dead end right now.

#4 2020-08-12 23:08:29

Guy

To be honest, Not too good. Not sure if any of them where 50 players but I've seen some hell holes. Before homelands multiple families could live in one city, Belltowns could have most of the server in them. Another time was when the game first came to steam, Non stop babies who where mostly new players.

My ideal setting would be lots of players but spread out into lots of towns. Though realistically there would just be tons of abandoned villages and a megacity of each race. I suppose leaders would more useful for such big cities.

Last edited by Guy (2020-08-12 23:09:42)

#5 2020-08-13 02:12:25

antking:]#

I don't think we will ever get a mega town the best we can hope for is that three race eves decide to settle in a triangle around a central well that would become a main water hub consuming oil, rubber and exporting water to those three main towns which all would need to support each other by providing food and materials

this system would IN theory work but their would be to many moving parts for something this complex to last unless thier were a constant flow of vets pumping and distributing water, operating sprinklers, paving roads, and mining oil

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#6 2020-08-13 05:04:09

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Back in the rift we had a town of 50 people. It was one of the final rifts where it only allowed us to have 2 wells. It was a really nice town considering rift times. It was like 4-5 families all living there working together. It is one of my favorite towns of all time. Here's a screenshot

dsdsds

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#7 2020-08-13 15:41:18

QuirkySmirkyIan

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Back in the rift we had a town of 50 people. It was one of the final rifts where it only allowed us to have 2 wells. It was a really nice town considering rift times. It was like 4-5 families all living there working together. It is one of my favorite towns of all time. Here's a screenshot

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … wn-153.png

95% chance im the eve in that pic

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#8 2020-08-13 19:32:27

ahead

Nword
nah we can't have those it'd be too fun

Sorry, nothing

#9 2020-08-13 20:08:09

Spoonwood

In addition to previous comments, BS2 is currently set to handle something like 120-130 players.  After that, excess players get sent to server1 (or the other servers if server1 were to fill up theoretically also).  I don't recall precisely, but I do remember a number in that range from a Github issue a while back.  4 families for 130 players is an average of 32 or so people, so 50 isn't likely to happen for very long on a server.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2020-08-14 00:41:08

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

95% chance im the eve in that pic

It was you. We recognized each other actually when I was your daughter.

Last edited by DiscardedSlinky (2020-08-14 00:41:24)

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2020-08-16 07:03:14

pein

There was several of them

First I remember was West town, the first city ever to create likee 100 berry bushes
it just got neeerfed and it was very rare before having so much so it lasted a long time, the pop was around 40-60 all the time

Then it was clayton family, we still were on the eve spiral, it was a weird looking town, was there quite early but people were blocking each other a lot
we couldn't manage to make proper setups
the pop was 95 at onee time
we tried to dig out bushes and starve some girls but the noobs didn't let us
the forge was near a snow pile and snowball kills were still a thing, so we killed around 10 idiots to be able to make tools
nobody cared cause it was just too much

I remember I was somehow able to make a cart and upgrade with rubber wheels, that was the highest tech in town, and I got killed for mentioning that I made that, it was a mess. there was a stupid berry line 4x3x3, they even planted it together, we managed to dig out some, then make roads between but then they planted more, eventtually was like 8x3x3 and wasn't enough, and was so hard tto maintain when there was no compost and no waatter. and people were still dumb for sheep so itt was hardcore crazy

In the rift, the best town was mine, it was before the oil was on grid, so it had 2 near each other
it was the 8 day rift, first I settled NE and fixed up a town before people could move in and survive, took me like 3 full lives. then some people stole stuff and moved 200 to left, when It decayed I was an eve and just moved 40 to the right and made new well, fortress, around 25x20 fence. the raiders got my fam, I was coming back as my own grandkid and I was the sole survivor of that massacre. I saved a black eve who instantly had 5 kids. it was a small setup but everything inside, pen, well, oven, some space for the forge. still got 2 photos of it. the next ay was still going strong, fenced up, engine made, oil made. eventually I had to scavenge 7 cities for all thee broken tools to make new engine, to get oil, to get iron from mines. I dropped 200 iron on the 6th day when jason was on the vacation. it was crazy stupid at the end, people cut everything, killed everyone several times. eventually everything was full of corpses, bears, locked buildings and no fire.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer