One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-08-02 15:07:17

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Re: Notice about account details shared publicly (account pools, twitter)

Dodge wrote:
Lava wrote:

The myth that slinky is the one that made whatever leave is simply a myth. It wasn’t her fault, and both parties in the situation have resolved it between them so please don’t start unecessary drama that you have practically no involvement in.

I never said that but since you mention it, if you are aware of an on going situation and dont do anything to stop it then you are as much responsible, not doing anything is also doing something, you choose to not take action and turn a blind eye on what is going on especially if you are the person that introduced them.

Anyway it's a shame for the mod users that get punished for the stupidity of some people.

You're right dodge I didn't stop the initial instigation. I am to blame for that. I didn't know how far it was going to go obviously, but I should've told my boyfriend to stop immediately before they both started fighting and he took it too far. I appreciate that you are informed about what happened and aren't just flat out blaming me for attacking him, which I never did.

Just to add to it, I didn't introduce them. Whatever was in a private discord with me and my boyfriend for almost a year. Whatever even used stuff I talked about in there to attack my boyfriend (which I don't blame him for, my boyfriend started it) so they knew each other beforehand.

It's a really unfortunate situation and I wish I could make it right, but I'm in the same situation as everyone else and can't talk to him.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#27 2020-08-02 18:29:27

Dodge

DiscardedSlinky wrote:
Dodge wrote:
Lava wrote:

The myth that slinky is the one that made whatever leave is simply a myth. It wasn’t her fault, and both parties in the situation have resolved it between them so please don’t start unecessary drama that you have practically no involvement in.

I never said that but since you mention it, if you are aware of an on going situation and dont do anything to stop it then you are as much responsible, not doing anything is also doing something, you choose to not take action and turn a blind eye on what is going on especially if you are the person that introduced them.

Anyway it's a shame for the mod users that get punished for the stupidity of some people.

You're right dodge I didn't stop the initial instigation. I am to blame for that. I didn't know how far it was going to go obviously, but I should've told my boyfriend to stop immediately before they both started fighting and he took it too far. I appreciate that you are informed about what happened and aren't just flat out blaming me for attacking him, which I never did.

Just to add to it, I didn't introduce them. Whatever was in a private discord with me and my boyfriend for almost a year. Whatever even used stuff I talked about in there to attack my boyfriend (which I don't blame him for, my boyfriend started it) so they knew each other beforehand.

It's a really unfortunate situation and I wish I could make it right, but I'm in the same situation as everyone else and can't talk to him.

You are owning to it and i respect that, we all learn from our mistakes, yes it's unfortunate hopefully the situation will get better is some way.

P.S. I never suggested "the rift" if Jason said he was going to restrict the map to a tiny box surrounded by some ugly barrier i would have obviously said it was a terrible idea which i probably did but obviously got ignored, please stop spreading that misinformation thanks smile .

#28 2020-08-02 20:15:01

Jojigirl

Mr.XIX wrote:

Quick and easy question:

Are other people allowed to play on my account when I enter the username and key for them?

(therefore not sharing my account details)

If not, why?

I don't think the problem is with letting your brother, sister, child play the game.

The problem is with the public being able to play his game for free.

That's more than just one or two family members. Two different situations.

#29 2020-08-02 21:44:32

pein

lol when jason introduced the rift with 256x256 or whatever size I told him it won't work, he said 'wait and see first', didn't lasted 3 hours and was changed

I think a size of 6kx6k would have been better, or some ways to gett trough barriers, I liked rift for one reaosn: getting back to old places
butt it had too many problems from the small size and ron renewable resources. also going back to places was weird cause people blocked me out from my own city i built for 3 hours before letting the public use it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#30 2020-08-03 02:04:31

Grim_Arbiter

Jojigirl wrote:

I don't think the problem is with letting your brother, sister, child play the game.

The problem is with the public being able to play his game for free.

That's more than just one or two family members. Two different situations.

"If the secret details of an account are shared publicly in any way, that account has officially "escaped" into the wild, and has been abandoned."

You can literally give them your info, as long as it's private.

He's stating any account info that is in public space is fair to be deemed "escaped". Makes perfect sense.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#31 2020-08-03 08:04:39

Mr.XIX

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Can I give everybody that asks me in Discord through a Private Message my account info?

That is private right? Since I still choose who can get access and who not?

#32 2020-08-03 12:40:24

DestinyCall

Mr.XIX wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Can I give everybody that asks me in Discord through a Private Message my account info?

As long as you can trust everyone you share your info with to NOT share it publicly, of course.

#33 2020-08-03 13:03:19

picado

Mr.XIX wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

The concept of public can be widely found in existing legal situations.

The behavior you said is well known for being public since you gave it random guys from public world, without censoring.

Thus if you share songs and movies randomly in your way, you will get accused obviously.

And one thing more, unlike computer code, in legal code, intention matters.
Court is the place where they judge what was your intention behind what you did.

The right to access main server is not same to the copyright, but at least you should become not confused with the concept of public.

Obviously no one of us are legal experts, so if you seriously have decided to sue jason for fraud, never trust any advices in this forum.

#34 2020-08-03 14:15:18

Catfive

I think the hilarious meme solution is just put all such accounts in perma donkey town. Then they keep their access to the server but not access to the rest of the playerbase.

#35 2020-08-03 15:09:34

Mr.XIX

picado wrote:

The behavior you said is well known for being public since you gave it random guys from public world, without censoring.

I don't think this is public? Since I choose who I give access?

Me and my 10 friends on discord are not the same as "public", right?

#36 2020-08-03 16:03:01

Jojigirl

Mr.XIX wrote:

So you think it is morally right for your 10 online friends to be able to play the game for free?

You think it's ok that Jason loses $200 because you want your 10 online "friends" to play his game for free?

You don't think he's worked hard for that money? It is his creation, his servers, his work, his job.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-08-03 16:03:38)

#37 2020-08-03 17:45:25

Mr.XIX

Jojigirl wrote:
Mr.XIX wrote:

So you think it is morally right for your 10 online friends to be able to play the game for free?

You think it's ok that Jason loses $200 because you want your 10 online "friends" to play his game for free?

You don't think he's worked hard for that money? It is his creation, his servers, his work, his job.

I'm not asking what is morally right, I'm asking what is allowed.

(In any case, these 10 friends also bought the game, some even more then once. No need to take the moral high ground here.)

#38 2020-08-03 17:54:28

Cantface

Yeah money shouldn't even come into it, there are SO MANY ppl who bought the game and just never play it again. That's a lot of money for accounts barely being used.

It's just a safety/privacy issue more than anything. It's why you shouldn't give away any personal info online. Simple easy to understand stuff.

Breasticles

#39 2020-08-14 17:45:10

jasonrohrer
Administrator

To clarify:

You can privately share your account with other people without abandoning it.  Just like you can share your car keys with your friends without abandoning your car.

But if you park your car on the side of the public road with the keys taped to the windshield and a big FREE sign on it, you have abandoned it.

And even in the case of houses and other real property, adverse possession laws allow other people to take over your property---for free---if you aren't using it for some number of years (in California, it's 5 years).

But obviously, comparisons between accounts and real-life property are strained.

#40 2020-08-14 19:30:38

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

To clarify:

You can privately share your account with other people without abandoning it.  Just like you can share your car keys with your friends without abandoning your car.

But if you park your car on the side of the public road with the keys taped to the windshield and a big FREE sign on it, you have abandoned it.

And even in the case of houses and other real property, adverse possession laws allow other people to take over your property---for free---if you aren't using it for some number of years (in California, it's 5 years).

But obviously, comparisons between accounts and real-life property are strained.

I'd think that person owns their own account in reality, and thus their account is their property in reality.  So, I don't see how any sort of comparison is strained.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#41 2020-08-14 20:12:41

fug

Spoonwood wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

To clarify:

I'd think that person owns their own account in reality, and thus their account is their property in reality.  So, I don't see how any sort of comparison is strained.

Can you not for once in your life? The issue at hand was someone specifically trying to set up a system which allows people to play + trolls be able to avoid the system completely.

Having an essentially cracked version of the game going out might help short term to boost numbers but lets face the music. The game is in a bad spot right now and even some of the most hardcore players don't even enjoy it.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#42 2020-08-14 22:42:34

Spoonwood

fug wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

To clarify:

Can you not for once in your life? The issue at hand was someone specifically trying to set up a system which allows people to play + trolls be able to avoid the system completely.

Honestly, I don't think Jason's claim here correct.  I would think that legally speaking a person's account is their personal property.  After all, they paid for it, and have personal ownership immediately after buying it.  Jason's claim seem like no more than him blowing smoke.  Seriously, if he had a leg to stand on that was solid, it would make sense for him to cite some decision or law, instead of just talking.  After all, he's the one interested here.  But, he hasn't done any such thing.

fug wrote:

Having an essentially cracked version of the game going out might help short term to boost numbers but lets face the music. The game is in a bad spot right now and even some of the most hardcore players don't even enjoy it.

So what?  That's not relevant to the claim made by Jason.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-08-14 22:43:31)

Danish Clinch.

#43 2020-08-16 01:43:48

Cryoes

The way this is worded makes me laugh.

So if your DB is compromised and all the keys are leaked than what you can ban everyone?.....

Also the TOS that was agreed to upon purchase mentioned nothing about this...

You like to mention you are in your 30's.. than you should understand that you might want to just update your TOS instead of making a post like this..

You should also understand that these changes cannot be made on a forum for your game.

Currently if you ban someone for this than you are in violation of your TOS.

We both know you can easily get away with this.. who is going to waste their money fighting this in court.. no one. The only thing you would even have to worry about is a class action suit .. but I mean how many people who get banned are going to get together and sue you right?

I guess all that can be done is this issue can be raised to Steam customer service to inform them that you are violating your TOS.

So I will be informing them.

#44 2020-08-17 07:23:33

mrbah

Jason's motivations are sound.
"This account is for your use, sharing the accounts is not supposed to happen (outside of a small circle, which we will let slip)."
But his reasoning doesn't sound that sound "if you drive faster than 100 mph, you have abandonned your car, and we will take it from you, as you are clearly not using it any more".

It's almost if all the hindering legal concepts are annoying but ultimately there for a reason.

#45 2020-08-17 10:30:50

Dodge

If only there was a law of common sense, "internet lawyers" would tone it down. But usually these type of people lack of it anyway...

It's pretty obvious that the goal is to avoid any random person to be able to play on the servers for free, in these situations friends and families are usually accepted the same way you would lend a physical copy of a game to a friend or let a family member play the game.

Now if you upload that same game and make it available to anyone to dowload and play for free then you cross the line obviously

"So if your DB is compromised and all the keys are leaked than what you can ban everyone?....."

Yes exactly he's going to ban everyone that sounds totally like a reasonnable solution to that issue...

#46 2020-08-17 11:44:55

mrbah

if jason showed that in case of someone getting access to your email adress or something and you referred to him he would give you a new accoutn while deactivating your old account, he'd display some general goodwill.

Just a simple policy of "don't share your stuff with strangers online, don't make it accessible to the general public, if your account got compromized in other ways I will try to resolve this with you" would work pretty well imo.

#47 2020-09-01 02:05:56

Villas

Totally agree with Jason.
Also, he will block you from the mainserver, you will still own the game and you can play alone or in another server. He will not take the game away from you, you won't have access to the mainserver though.
If you could sue him for blocking you from the mainserver, then you would sue him when the server gets down forever.

If you buy a ticket to the cinema and start to yell at people at the middle of the movie, they can kick you without refund even if you paid and didn't sign ToS or whatever. The judge isn't a robot, they are humans and they will judge you without using straight instructions, if you bought a license to play on a server and is making it available to anyone for free, I doubt you would win the cause. The same way people can kick someone from a pool club if they start to purposefully poop in the pool. I'm not an expert, but some things don't to need to be written somewhere to be respected, they are kid of common sense.

#48 2020-09-01 14:34:40

Spoonwood

Villas wrote:

If you could sue him for blocking you from the mainserver, then you would sue him when the server gets down forever.

When the server goes down forever, that is the end of the server's life.  There is a 'lifetime account' referenced.  So, no what you wrote above doesn't follow.

As of when I write this, the website where you can purchase the game says the following:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Includes a lifetime account on the main game server and access to all future updates.

https://archive.is/ufjfw

Danish Clinch.

Board footer