One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-31 20:57:08

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

A Peace Emote that makes it so you can't kill

So I just had an idea of how to make trading, and co-existing work. Add an emote to the game where if you have it on you can't draw a sword or a knife or bow.

People will actually trust you, and not kill you on sight.

"Well couldn't you just change your emote and draw a weapon?" Well I'd say make it unchangeable for at least a minute. This gives people time to actually trust you and realise you're not a threat.

Having this will make encounters easier, and might possibly let us actually trade and live together.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#2 2019-07-31 21:06:41

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: A Peace Emote that makes it so you can't kill

This is a good idea!

Though the sword is clearly visible in the backpack, so that's already handled.  Leave your swords outside, please.

So this is more for intra-family violence, I suppose?

What I will be adding soon is this:

If you speak the word PEACE in another family's language (or if you are bilingual b/c of learning as a BB), then it unites the families in peace, and the war sword simply doesn't work anymore (it behaves as if you are one big family).

This is similar to how cursing works now, where if you know their language, you can curse them.  If you know how to say PEACE, you can make peace with them.

This makes a clear distinction between true strangers (potential raiders, etc.) and people from different fams who are coexisting in one village long-term.

(And this does not affect knives and bows).

#3 2019-07-31 21:29:35

Lum

Yes yes yes

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#4 2019-07-31 21:52:20

Saolin

jasonrohrer wrote:

What I will be adding soon is this:

If you speak the word PEACE in another family's language (or if you are bilingual b/c of learning as a BB), then it unites the families in peace, and the war sword simply doesn't work anymore (it behaves as if you are one big family).

This is similar to how cursing works now, where if you know their language, you can curse them.  If you know how to say PEACE, you can make peace with them.

This makes a clear distinction between true strangers (potential raiders, etc.) and people from different fams who are coexisting in one village long-term.

(And this does not affect knives and bows).

Seems interesting. Curious to see how it works out.

#5 2019-07-31 22:55:09

Thaulos

I'll be the odd voice in favor of war on this one. I believe this is a terrible idea.

You guys are equating lineages/families to villages. That might have been true before the Rift but no more. Families will more often than not be divided in multiple towns spread around the map. They might not even have that much contact with each other.

Today during the Eis-Slinkers war multiple towns were raiding other enemy family towns. But there was also a peaceful town where both families lived. Just because one town wants to be peaceful it shouldn't be able to impose magic peace on all the other towns.

It's just boring.

Edit: What if I write PEACE on paper and give it to someone on an enemy town? Can I just type back whatever they say and achieve peace forever?

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-07-31 23:09:28)

#6 2019-08-01 00:19:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, Thaulos, I suppose you could trick them in that way.  If they want war with you, they probably won't read your note, though, right?

Hmm... maybe the PEACE saying stuff has to go BOTH ways before it works?

That means you can override the warlike tendencies, but you have to find one peace-nik on the other side who will help you.  I'll do that, I think.

This is a feature in flux, of course.  We'll have to see how it works.  I'd like to have consensus-based peace instead, but that's quite a bit more complicated.

This change comes along with a return to the endless Eve spiral when there are no available mothers for the next baby.  So there will be new, strange families around again.

If one family is split up into two towns, should they be able to use the war sword against each other?  They currently can't, right?

#7 2019-08-01 00:23:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, maybe only old people from the fams can be the ones to make peace?

Like, 55+?

So not just any pair of young idiots can "grief PEACE" to end a perfectly good war.  The town elders have to come together and agree about it?

#8 2019-08-01 00:29:17

FeignedSanity

jasonrohrer wrote:

Like, 55+?

So not just any pair of young idiots can "grief PEACE" to end a perfectly good war.  The town elders have to come together and agree about it?

Yeah, I can support this idea. Besides, I like the idea of elders having specific things only they can do.

Also amused me to hear someone lament the end of a "perfectly good war" while not having villainous intent.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#9 2019-08-01 00:38:22

Thaulos

I figure this feature will at most disable usage of war swords. I don't see how it could possibly "ruin" the game in any sense. So not that big of a deal at the end of the day.

I personally think peace should be something enforced by the players individually and not enforced by game mechanics.

The Eis family currently owns 6 towns or so. One dude on each family isn't a consensus.

Regarding the war swords being able to be used inter city instead of inter family, I actually like it a lot. I got to wonder if that is something that can even be coded to work consistently though.

Having some sort of diplomatic system between towns/settlements instead of families could be a great addition. And would fit well with the enforced peace feature. If an elder could go to the other town and declare peace somehow then it would make a lot of sense. Other towns could continue warring at will.

I would love to see towns emerge as official entities but I don't even know how one would go about coding this properly tho.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-08-01 00:39:32)

#10 2019-08-01 00:39:50

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Try saying it with nobility lock-jaw:

What a shame to end a purrrrfectly good war, dahling.

#11 2019-08-01 01:22:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, war between towns that are of the same family is kinda out of scope for now.

So I will limit the treaties to elders.

I guess (since war is the default state), once PEACE is established bi-laterally between elders, it should be able to be removed later by elders as well, right?  So if some elders (different ones perhaps) both say WAR to each other, it's ON again.

Elders say PEACE to each other to make a treaty, and WAR to each other to break it.  It can be different elders that break it later.

#12 2019-08-01 05:11:19

Psykout

jasonrohrer wrote:

Like, 55+?

55+ is pretty old. I'd say anyone past 40 is a step. It's  past baby age and for your typical person not giving out good vibes they are gone by then. 45 plus maybe?

#13 2019-08-01 08:29:14

Baker

How about a white flag instead of an emote, As long as you are holding it you are protected from swords but you can't load up your cart with our iron without giving up your protection.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#14 2019-08-01 10:08:00

RodneyC86

I'm not about to fight a war a 55 year old declared and he dies a minute or two later. 40 plus is plenty old to be a village elder

#15 2019-08-01 12:40:46

Lum

40 is still fairly young. Make it 50 and it's old enough that you'd really care about your village and family, and young enough that people will actually have time to declare peace before they die. Old people can't travel to another town that easily.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#16 2020-08-02 01:32:59

DailyNightmares

so i just had a instance where this didnt work and im confused because i was a ginger who travlled 1600 spaces to get to another group and the game had updated 8ish hours ago and id been in that town all day the one that i travlled 1600 to get too so when i was a ginger and came to the town ive been in all day so i got there and said peace with someone who was also old yet it didnt work do i have to be leader for it to work.

#17 2020-08-02 03:09:25

DestinyCall

Did you say "peace" in their language or your own?

#18 2020-08-02 03:26:16

DailyNightmares

thats what im saying is for some reason we already knew there language even though i was a ginger and they werent and i know for a fact that no body else was there to do it cause i was at the civilization all day. also incase you played it today they were naras i was schuler(gingers)

#19 2020-08-02 09:17:33

ahead

this is horribly confusing
what was wrong with keeping it simple, and just having peace be something that players made...
using words...
and not magic...
and war being you know, just people going to war...
and killing other people...
and stealing stuff...

Last edited by ahead (2020-08-02 09:18:15)

Sorry, nothing

#20 2020-08-02 17:13:28

DestinyCall

For anyone who did not notice, this is a necro'ed thread from some time last year.    The War/Peace mechanic was already added to the game and it basically works, but it really only matters if you want to stab someone with a war sword.    People rarely use it, but if you ever see an announcement that says something about two families being at peace or going to war, that's what is going on.

#21 2020-08-03 05:45:39

pein

I dont mind necroed threads as long as it's somewhat relevant.

the main problems here:
-as long s you need others, peace is always better, there will be some trolls or meme wars but it will not be anything of interest to most people
-too hard to see why you are at war or if you are at a war
-no goals to archieve, no resources to steal, no way a war would be profitable
-you can steal stuff anyway
-families dont't have an identity and everything looks the same
-you would rather have war with similar colour people than others
-whites are useless

instead of meme mechanics that are overly complicated and don't reflect reality, we need proper game mechanic based rules and features.
meme score hardly reflects the skill at the game, most leaders are fairly dumb, and that's because you don't need much brain for meme score farming, just patience and luck. I don't even want to take part in this followers mess cause I can't see it trough.
there is no real reason to be a leader.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer