One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-22 10:12:20

pockywocky

New Laptop Slow Mo

Hi, I just bought a brand new gaming laptop, specifically:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0863DFMV7/ref … 00_TE_dp_1

I just installed OHOL and for some reason, I experience a ton of lag (seems to be frame rate lag) when I play it, like the kind that makes it unplayable. This is really puzzling, since again, this is a brand new laptop and it ran perfectly fine on my last one. I've tried everything that I can possibly think of, have updated my graphics drivers and other drivers, tried several links that people have linked me, such as:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8044

I tried the options in that thread but nothing seems to work...

I'd really like to play OHOL on this laptop since I will be migrating to it fully and putting aside my last one.

Can someone please help to resolve this issue? I don't know what else I can do.

Last edited by pockywocky (2020-05-22 12:32:41)

#2 2020-05-22 12:32:48

Twisted

Re: New Laptop Slow Mo

Since it's a 120Hz laptop the first thing that comes to mind is that it's some kind of framerate issue. Go into the game's folder, and in there you'll find a settings folder. There's a bunch of files in there, you can open them with Notepad and edit them that way, just remember to save the changes. Don't worry, you can't mess anything up - and even if you do, redownloading will fix it.

Try setting the targetFrameRate file to 120 (or change it to 60 if it was on 120 already)
Try setting skipFPSMeasure to 1 (or 0 if it was 1)
Try setting halfFrameRate to 1
Try setting countingOnVsync to 1 (or 0)

I am fairly confident that one of these (or a combination of one of these) will fix your issue. That being said I'm not a game developer or programmer, I'm just a layman that wants to help.

#3 2020-05-22 12:54:48

pockywocky

I've tried that and while it improves it somewhat, it's still pretty slow and difficult to play the game with...

I'm not sure what else to do. I tried reading threads describing similar problems to mine and fiddling around with the files you've mentioned and while it's a little bit better, it still shouldn't be like this. I'm just confused because I really don't see a reason for this to not work. My laptop can run other games, like Overwatch and Red Dead Redemption 2 like a charm but it can't run OHOL lol.

Thank you for your help though. I hope someone or eventually I can figure this out, but I'm not very smart when it comes to this sort of thing ahha.

Last edited by pockywocky (2020-05-22 12:55:26)

#4 2020-05-22 13:54:11

Alterior

I'm a game developer.

You have to keep lowering your targetFrameRate setting till you're at a framerate your graphics card can keep up with during play (use the tutorial as a test). Probably don't go below 30 fps.

I don't know Jason's engine, but it sounds like he's drawing a lot of pixels (like, more than you are seeing on-screen at one time - because of overdraw I'm guessing). Games like Overwatch and Red Dead are optimised in other ways, so, despite looking prettier, they don't work the same ways this game does when there's a framerate mismatch.

Think of it like the game goes "Okay, it's been half a second, you've got all 124 million of those pixels drawn, right Pocky's PC?" and your PC is like "Nah man I'm only at like 60 mil, but I swear I've drawn like 90 mil. Are you making me draw over some of these two or three times?" and the game is like "Yes I am actually. Okay, these animations are going to play slower if you can't keep up with the speed you promised me." and your PC is like "fml bro, just let me only draw pixels Pocky actually sees." and the game is like "I don't actually know which ones he sees till you're done drawing, so, I can't do that for you actually." and your PC is like "Overwatch hardly ever makes me do this." and the game is like "Yup. It gives you a bigger brush too... Paint faster or promise me less frames per second and I'll skip some of these animation frames for you. Then Pocky can have a smooth feeling experience."

Then you come along and are all like "This makes no sense, Overwatch is way prettier and runs way smoother than this game. It's even in 3D!" and your PC cries.

Berry bushes are weeds, tear them up, set them on fire. Corn is the food of the gods.

#5 2020-05-22 14:00:45

Alterior

Actually no wait, better analogy. Overwatch is like "Here Pocky's PC, put up this series of posters real quick. Just use this glue and this roller" and your PC is like "No problem, even have time to spare." and One Hour One Life is like "So I need you to paint this entire wall, often painting over your own work using this tiny paint brush and easel. Problem?" and your PC is like "Actually yes." and One Hour One Life is like "Weeeeelllllllllllllllll IIIIII'LLLLL ggggoooo ssssslllllllooooowwwww aaaasssssss IIIII cccccaaaaannnnnnn ffffffooooorrrrrr yyyyyyoooouuuuuuu."

Berry bushes are weeds, tear them up, set them on fire. Corn is the food of the gods.

#6 2020-05-22 14:03:42

DestinyCall

Poor computer ...   That story hit me right in the feels.

#7 2020-05-22 14:06:50

Don Holm

Twisted wrote:

Since it's a 120Hz laptop the first thing that comes to mind is that it's some kind of framerate issue. Go into the game's folder, and in there you'll find a settings folder. There's a bunch of files in there, you can open them with Notepad and edit them that way, just remember to save the changes. Don't worry, you can't mess anything up - and even if you do, redownloading will fix it.

Try setting the targetFrameRate file to 120 (or change it to 60 if it was on 120 already)
Try setting skipFPSMeasure to 1 (or 0 if it was 1)
Try setting halfFrameRate to 1
Try setting countingOnVsync to 1 (or 0)

I am fairly confident that one of these (or a combination of one of these) will fix your issue. That being said I'm not a game developer or programmer, I'm just a layman that wants to help.

Use the same method above but change targetFrameRate file to 30 instead and it will work

#8 2020-05-22 15:34:51

Coconut Fruit

You can write /fps in the game, if you have less fps than what you set that means you should lower it because slowmo is happening. You can lower it to just a little bit less of how much fps you have. Hopefully you don't have too little fps.

I have a very good pc and 144hz monitor, yet I had to set my fps to 50. This game is weird in this case.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#9 2020-05-22 17:36:10

pein

Check your nvidia panel and set vsync to 0
also change wait for vsynch to 0 in settings
set possible fps values to your monitor fps so 120, 60, 30
target frame rate to 30 or 60

Vsynch is a vertical synchronization
its a preference but you probably would like it turned off, i had issues with pro evolution soccer, since its emulated so its kinda weird in some ways

vsynch on means: you got the animations played but when your pc cant handle it, it will delay them, in reality they already happened, so for a game like pro evo, you will still see how you failed but your reaction time wont matter
vsynch off will mean that when you fall behind, you will skip some animations but your reaction time will be on point from there on, so for pro evo means that they tackled you, you won't see how but you can take back the ball right away

for ohol in some cases, it can be a looong wait just to see you are shot, and you sit still while others run in screen, shot you and you gott nothing to do about it
without vsych, someone might appear near your with a bow out of nowhere but you can react to it after (pvp is removed so it doesnt matter as much now)

I'm fairly certain that skipping some info is better than waiting for something that already happened

half frame rate helps when you got low RAM, made the game work on 2gb, its not the case for you so you shouldn't do it, basically paints every second frame and things can change location often without you seeing how

outputallframes=0 i guess that is 0 by default, you better off with some variables than a delay

overall im pretty sure is better to go for reaction time so turn off vsynch everywhere

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2020-06-02 19:40:12

pockywocky

I've tried to do all these suggestions above and nothing seems to work... The game is always either too fast or too slow when it runs, and it just isn't playable. I'm rather disappointed since this was a game I really liked to play casually. Is there any way anyone could maybe add me on Discord and I can screen share and we can try to fix it? Whatever I'm doing, it doesn't seem to be the right fix.

EDIT: To add me on Discord, please just let me know and I'll give it to you.

Last edited by pockywocky (2020-06-02 19:42:38)

#11 2020-06-03 06:00:17

Dodge

Yeah OHOL is weird in how it works, sometimes when the game freeze/lags it will "replay" everything to catch up to the point you are, what game does that??? lol

Anyway maybe it's not even possible to fix this issue on your end and Jason might need to look into it, not sure.

Can you try launching the game on a virtual machine like vmware to see if it works.

#12 2020-06-03 10:15:17

Arcurus

OHOL is pure piece of art.

#13 2020-06-04 06:00:28

DestinyCall

OHOL is a pure piece of ****

#14 2020-06-04 12:39:48

pockywocky

I just want help running it, but thanks. I agree it can be cruddy.

EDIT: I tried it on a virtual machine and it runs the same way.

Last edited by pockywocky (2020-06-04 12:44:16)

#15 2020-06-05 01:02:20

pockywocky

Can someone please help me?

#16 2020-06-05 04:25:12

Coconut Fruit

So, how many fps do you have? Have you tried /fps in the game?

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#17 2020-06-05 09:28:24

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Have you tried emailing Jason? He gives out tech support. He is on vacation right now though so I'm not sure how fast he'll respond.

Sorry I wish I could help more.

Here's his email jasonrohrer@fastmail.fm

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#18 2020-06-08 18:49:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

So... for a BEAST of a laptop like that, there should be no problem running OHOL at any frame rate.  OHOL runs at 60fps on ancient, non-gaming laptops.  It can easily run at 800 fps on a powerful gaming machine.

I'm helping this person directly by email, but I just wanted to post something here for other people who might have the same problem.

First, you should check out what framerate you are actually getting when you're alive in the game.  Type /FPS in the chat box (after hitting ENTER to open the chat box) to see an FPS graph.

If that framerate is high, there might be some kind of measurement mismatch between the true framerate and what the game is expecting (what people are suggesting here in this thread).

But I don't think that's the problem....

I think if you run /FPS, you will see a LOW framerate.  Probably, the framerate was measured at 120 or 60 on a black (empty) screen, and that's your vblank rate.  HOWEVER, the game is rendering way slower than that, and is probably hitting 10 or 20 fps or something, when it's drawing sprites.

The reason for this is probably something wrong with your OpenGL driver for your GPU.  Maybe OpenGL isn't even installed or something, causing it to render the game in software mode.  I.e., drawing all the sprites using the CPU, instead of the GPU.  This will indeed be slow.  The fact that it is possible at all, even at 10fps, is a testament to how powerful modern CPUs are.

#19 2020-07-25 22:30:37

pockywocky

Hate to revive this, but I still haven't fixed this. Is there anyone willing to screenshare with me over Discord in order to try to fix it? Please help!

#20 2020-07-25 23:06:28

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Alright so from jason's message above I'm thinking that the game isn't being processed by your GPU. I have no clue if this is going to work, so don't expect much from it. I'm just thinking of a way you can force the EXE to use your GPU. Again, no idea if this will work.

(Also i'm assuming you have a nvidia card?) Right click your desktop and open NVIDIA control panel. Click "manage 3d settings", go to "program settings" click Add, Browse, now click your OneLife.exe and select open. Scroll down and find OpenGL rendering GPU and change it from "use global setting" to your actual GPU.  Hit apply.

If that doesn't work I don't know. Try emailing Jason again, AGAIN he's on vacation this week so emails might be slow.

I also /blush.

#21 2020-07-26 02:01:17

pockywocky

Holy moly, that actually worked! Game is running great now. Thank you so much, Slinky!

#22 2020-07-26 02:11:34

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Wow! I can't believe that actually worked. That's a trick I use for my Wii U emulator. I'm so happy for you! Hope to see you in game <3

I also /blush.

Board footer