Gomez

We got roads....paved roads.

So who is joining the road paving crew? tongue

#2 2020-07-11 13:16:56

Gogo
Banned

Re: We got roads....paved roads.

I can, once I figure it out.

Edit: lol, we need... yellow paint for it. xD Give yellow paints to all families.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-07-11 14:03:44)

#3 2020-07-11 14:39:09

mrbah

i traveled to the other town and found them paving the road towards a third town.
spent a lot of years shoveling away stuff and clearing trees for the machine, but I assume that you need the black family to remove stuff in the desert and gingers to remove the snow obstacles.
Does anyone know if you can stand on the asphalt and instruct the machine to go around ( while the machine is on non-hospitable terrain)?

#4 2020-07-11 17:03:36

Ruben

mrbah wrote:

Does anyone know if you can stand on the asphalt and instruct the machine to go around ( while the machine is on non-hospitable terrain)?

It did not halt when I was standing in front of it, nor will it change its directions without the markers set on the ground.
Before letting it loose on foreign terrain, the track needs to be set in order to plow through.

#5 2020-07-13 19:25:59

Gogo
Banned

I saw yellow pigment at gingers, also a plow (need crude oil tho). Blacks are near gingers (they're 0.5 N-E from ginger town), junglers also (my bb ride to their town and came back soon) - so it's good time to start roads. smile

Last edited by Gogo (2020-07-13 19:27:26)

#6 2020-07-13 21:44:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I just did a little VOG survey, and I didn't see any paved roads.

#7 2020-07-13 22:02:58

Lava

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yea sadly there’s very little people making and getting oil right now.

#8 2020-07-13 22:04:38

Legs

So the recipe for a paver requires yellow paint, which is biome-locked by the jungle specialty. Mango leaves decay rapidly so you can't stockpile them. You need a jungler personally present to produce the paint. It also requires an entire tank of crude oil, which is very rare and valuable. Realistically, the circumstances required to run a paver will virtually never happen. Even without family specialties paving roads would be difficult and expensive. I'm not surprised that nobody can manage to do it.

Loco Motion

#9 2020-07-13 22:16:07

fug

Lava wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Yea sadly there’s very little people making and getting oil right now.

To be fair who the hell wants to do oil?

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#10 2020-07-13 22:23:28

Eve Troll

fug wrote:

To be fair who the hell wants to do oil?

I love doing oil. Its my favorite part of the game. It wouldn't be a big deal if rubber production was more efficient.

#11 2020-07-13 22:46:38

Twisted

The paver is really cool but it's incredibly expensive to run (240+ water, yes it runs infinitely which makes it good but it's still very expensive to get it going), it requires cooperation from all families, and it's the most advanced tech item in the game in a time when the game is brutally difficult. I'd love to try it out but I've yet to live in a town where I had the possibility. Also, I heard that the auto-run doesn't work when turning.

#12 2020-07-13 23:26:14

wondible

jasonrohrer wrote:

There has only been one 4425-Running-Paver-West on the map, which I understand to be start of it's activity. I did see one road, perhaps look near where the paver was.

Others seem to be covering "why" more haven't been attempted.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#13 2020-07-14 03:25:52

Gogo
Banned

Instead of making roads I can prepare all necessary stuff. I brought crude oil to gingers (Hoppers), stashed it with yellow pigment inside property.

#14 2020-07-14 06:12:24

Dodge

jasonrohrer wrote:

In a game where "big" civilisations last a coupls of hours or a few days at best and making long roads would be a waste of time and all efforts disappear fast so pointless to make it's not surprising nobody makes them, why would you engage in something really long term when you know it's gone the next day?

After the content is not fresh anymore the only players that would think about making long roads would be new players that still believe that they are actually advancing civilisations with a bigger picture in mind and ironically they wouldn't know how to do it, more experienced players that know that it's not true will make them every now and then sure but only because "bored and nothing else to do".

If you knew that an asteroid would hit earth and completely destroy it tomorrow or in a week would you still engage in something long term?

The truth is most activities would become pointless and you would stop doing them.

This game's model is based on churn and burn and constantly needs and influx of new players that dont know, it's basically an asteroid hitting every couple of days, very short term.

It solves the problem of being boring by constantly resetting the game to give you an impression that the game is interesting and that there is something to do instead of actually making the game interesting long term and that's obviously not a good solution.

So every content long term based is actually screwed since there's no reason to do it except "i'm bored so i'll guess i'll do that" which is very poor gameplay, also the model of the game makes every advanced type content more and more unreachable, have to be in a town that has engine, paint, oil etc.

You're working on advanced content at the moment but because of how the game is short term based, you're working on dead content.

#15 2020-07-14 06:55:22

Arcurus

Twisted wrote:

The paver is really cool but it's incredibly expensive to run (240+ water, yes it runs infinitely which makes it good but it's still very expensive to get it going), it requires cooperation from all families, and it's the most advanced tech item in the game in a time when the game is brutally difficult. I'd love to try it out but I've yet to live in a town where I had the possibility. Also, I heard that the auto-run doesn't work when turning.

240 plus water sounds extrem.

Currently roads are only good to mark a direction of something. For that flat stones are enough.

Under the current conditions i see no economic incentive to build roads except for fun of building it.

#16 2020-07-14 07:30:18

fug

Arcurus wrote:
Twisted wrote:

240 plus water sounds extrem.

Currently roads are only good to mark a direction of something. For that flat stones are enough.

Under the current conditions i see no economic incentive to build roads except for fun of building it.

Also doesn't mention roads don't work properly which doesn't help them one bit.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#17 2020-07-14 15:19:23

fug

After actually working with people with a paver I'd like to point out that this is generational work done correctly vs having to fence shit.

Even when I was doing the work it required multiple people and even people from different generations helping out. Someone started the paver who passed the job onto my cousin, who then passed the road work onto me, and then I passed it on to another team. It was a pretty cool experience where it wasn't one person doing the work, and it continued on down the line. This was the trans generational work done right compared to "muh fences and muh engine."

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#18 2020-07-14 16:22:10

JonySky
Website

fug wrote:

After actually working with people with a paver I'd like to point out that this is generational work done correctly vs having to fence shit.

Even when I was doing the work it required multiple people and even people from different generations helping out. Someone started the paver who passed the job onto my cousin, who then passed the road work onto me, and then I passed it on to another team. It was a pretty cool experience where it wasn't one person doing the work, and it continued on down the line. This was the trans generational work done right compared to "muh fences and muh engine."

And just like Dodge said ... all that work will be lost in 2 days ...
This is only used as an alternative to boredom.

I think Jason is abusing breed limitations.
It's okay to create some objects "collaboratively" with other races ...
But, creating an object with 20 composite pieces, and 5 of these pieces need to be created with different races ... it is excessive

Last edited by JonySky (2020-07-14 16:30:02)

#19 2020-07-15 07:35:27

DestinyCall

Race restrictions should be removed.   It is just not good for gameplay.

#20 2020-07-15 10:02:52

Gomez

I've used the two stretches of roads paved quite a bit tbh. 

One of them is quite long they potentially open up range for oil exploration as does the car.  Also makes salvage runs easier.

Believe one road connected like 3-4 families, it was pretty cool actually to zip down the road and hit three different towns. Hitting the turns a lil hard but that should get fixed....again car stupid fast on road.

#21 2020-07-15 12:27:39

Arcurus

cant you next time kill the snakes near by when you build a road.... broke nearly my leg falling down from the horse after it was scared from the snake on the road....

Not to talk about this annoying Moskitos which got me on the road... jungle should be forbidden for roads....

#22 2020-07-15 13:48:40

Mr.XIX

Arcurus wrote:

cant you next time kill the snakes near by when you build a road.... broke nearly my leg falling down from the horse after it was scared from the snake on the road....

Not to talk about this annoying Moskitos which got me on the road... jungle should be forbidden for roads....

Yes, and also make some food stations on the way, and make sure they are stocked because maybe I will run out of food.

And please don't make too many corners, because that makes me all dizzy and stuff.

And when you are at it, also make some nice trees for shade.

Please add some fires on the way so my temperature doesn't drop.

#23 2020-07-15 14:04:00

Arcurus

Mr.XIX wrote:
Arcurus wrote:

Yes, and also make some food stations on the way, and make sure they are stocked because maybe I will run out of food.

And please don't make too many corners, because that makes me all dizzy and stuff.

And when you are at it, also make some nice trees for shade.

Please add some fires on the way so my temperature doesn't drop.

yes, some shade especially in deserts would be nice!

There was one road side house, could be a food shop, or a fuel station, but there was nothing in.

These road builders these days....

#24 2020-07-16 13:29:18

Gogo
Banned

For anyone who wanna know how to build roads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvUFDNFWO_Q

Nice, I was happy to see this. smile

Last edited by Gogo (2020-07-16 13:32:21)

Board footer