One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-08 00:24:49

Eve Troll

Real Talk About Gene Score

I've noticed some disturbing trends surrounding genetic score cultivation and the playstyles associated with it.

Main root issues: Score heavily influences player's accessibility to the game. By ignoring the system and the playstyles it encourages you are punished with restrictions (less tool accessibility and an inability to play as eve).

Playstyles I see actively:

- Die as eve before you have any children to maintain score and avoid points lost.

- /Die immediately when born into a family below 5 generations. Typically you lose more points from difficult lives than if you simply /die.

- Run away from town to avoid having children to reduce the risk of losing score.

Why this is an issue: Besides the obvious these playstyles have a trend of damaging or weakening the stability of a family. Eves that have the guts to start a family are heavily punished score wise and often not even given a chance with the amount of people who die to avoid losing score. People leave established families to avoid having children, limiting spawns, and weakening the family as a whole. Eves dying immediately force the spawn onto someone else who will likely lose score and be punished for attempting one of the more difficult parts of the game.

My take: Gene score felt like a response to the degree people that would /die in order to spawn how they wished. Often to either plays as eve or spawn into a specific family. As much as this did weaken some families when the community played favorites it also bolstered others in a strong way. It feels like biome specialization was another attempt to discourage the playerbase from picking favorites and force them to value all families, except whites, equally.

Long story short: gene score felt like an attempt to discourage selfish playstyles, discourage people from abusing the spawn system, and reduce SID babies. In response to it the player base has gravitated towards an equally selfish and even more destructive form of play. It forces a mold players must adhere to and limits the overall diversity of lives and playstyles. Its a serious shadow that looms over the game and should be seriously considered for a rework.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-07-08 00:35:03)

#2 2020-07-08 10:53:47

Arcurus

Re: Real Talk About Gene Score

Eve Troll wrote:

- Run away from town to avoid having children to reduce the risk of losing score.

yea genescore currently has many "shadows"...

Giving a live a cost of 0.5 gene score if you reach three would make in average having more offspring a positive thing not a negative like it is now.

With a fix some week(s) ago if you run now away your nieces are also counted as women if you hadnt a child when the niece was born.

In away, for boys all nieces count, why shouldnt they for women too?

#3 2020-07-08 11:22:30

JonySky
Website

Now you understand why they call it memescore

#4 2020-07-08 11:32:37

Eve Troll

What happens when they all run out of town? No nieces or nephews then and everyone gains points. Families are disposable. Meme score is forever. Honestly its beyond rancid at this point.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-07-08 11:35:09)

#5 2020-07-08 11:35:52

Gogo
Banned

I'm not sure how it works now, but Eve's shouldn't have kids before making a well site, so they can prepare more or less stable home. Or they shouldn't be punished so hard for starving people (in generation 1).

Last edited by Gogo (2020-07-08 11:36:22)

#6 2020-07-08 15:45:53

DestinyCall

Gene score is rubbish and has been since it was introduced.   Attaching important things to it, like Eve spawn and leadership has done little to make it better.  It just ties important game features into a broken system and pushes more people to play the game in a selfish way.

#7 2020-07-08 18:38:18

Spoonwood

Eve Troll wrote:

Besides the obvious these playstyles have a trend of damaging or weakening the stability of a family.

People just not playing also doesn't lead to families continuing.  Accommodating the players as much as possible would be the reasonable solution.  But, if you saw the changes to genetic score involving aunts and uncles, it appears that the game designer would rather shoehorn players into his desired playstyle instead of adapting to their needs/desires.

The issue here is and has been a lack of game design trying to adapt to player preferences and appreciating players making their own choices.

Eve Troll wrote:

It forces a mold players must adhere to and limits the overall diversity of lives and playstyles. Its a serious shadow that looms over the game and should be seriously considered for a rework.

The game's design philosophy would have to be compatible with diverse playstyles in different people and even in the same player for that.  It's not in the ballpark for that and never has been.  And it likely never will be, since this hasn't been a game designed to accommodate people, but rather one designed on the insecure basis that the game designer knows what people enjoy better than what they say and what their behavior indicates.  Games with different modes from the start that the player can choose such as Oxygen Not Included or Rimworld, or the original M. U. L. E. where different characters had different abilities and the player could choose them, are more along those lines.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2020-07-08 18:42:29

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Gene score is rubbish and has been since it was introduced.

It's a pretty shallow concept, since it's only about time survived of the player or their relatives.  You played longer a game than someone else?  So what?  The other person might have had an emergency come up, or just got bored.  Time played is a very weak measure of skill.  On that I happen to remember a few years ago a post of some guy having played civ II for hundreds of in game years with a neverending world war III scenario complete with constant nuclear war.  Some other people analyzed it and thought the game winnable centuries earlier, and it probably was.  And winning the game earlier probably would have been more epic than never ending nuclear war.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2020-07-10 01:56:59

Erudaru

I was just born to an Eve, died of old age and fell from place 17 on the leaderboard to 300-something. I will for sure /die anytime I get born to an Eve again.

#10 2020-07-10 03:13:17

unoriginal artist

I refuse to eve, about an hour ago i got brown eve and i  do what i always do as an eve, i run into wolves but as i was bleeding i immediately birthed 3 kids in a row now! I get i ruined their scores  but i REFUSE to fucking eve cause i spend WEEKS farming gene score only to it be ruined by one life or by an eve run, eveing is NOT worth it, fams die to easily with all the water and food nerfs its NOT worth it to farm gene score for that long only for it to tank and have maybe 1-40 gens, last time i kept getting eve i finally decided to live and made a family but they died at gen 5!!!!!!!!!!!! and my score tanked to the 100s EVEING ISNT FUN OR WORTH IT TO ME! I like to be a leader in a semi made town and protect resources like rubber or an engine while hauling water or farming yum food while teaching any noob berry munchers i find in the fields. NOT ruining my score for a fam that dies in less than a day! AND IT PISSES ME OFF HOW I FIGHT FOR A SPOT ON THE LEADER BOARD! I fought trying to get to first place against the person with a gene score of 54 rn and i was at 53 points until that eve life now im tanked at 47 points which will take me days if not a week to climb back up to.

Last edited by unoriginal artist (2020-07-10 03:19:44)

#11 2020-07-10 03:14:03

pein

I liked running away and made sense too

some lives you focus on tech and building up the score is way harder than sitting afk

more forcing to the boring parenting is bad. lot of people don't even use slots so they don't complain. it was a hard hit for everyone who enjoyed tech and working and organizing.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2020-07-12 12:46:28

Mr.XIX

You should never be able to lose 12 points from playing eve while you only climb with 0.2 - 0.4.

Veterans get punished way too hard by new players dying early.
New players get a boost to their score by veterans playing, which makes there score an inaccurate display of their ability to survive.

For some reason the score starts at 30 when you start playing.
People at low ranks (with an average lifetime of around 11) still have a score of 21.

The best way to get rank 1 is buy a second account and keep on dying to other players.

#13 2020-07-12 15:30:22

QuirkySmirkyIan

Mr.XIX wrote:

You should never be able to lose 12 points from playing eve while you only climb with 0.2 - 0.4.

New players get a boost to their score by veterans playing, which makes there score an inaccurate display of their ability to survive.

People at low ranks (with an average lifetime of around 11) still have a score of 21.

The best way to get rank 1 is buy a second account and keep on dying to other players.

OMG this is so true last life the leader didn't know how to smith! I know how to do everything and I can easily survive to old age but I never get above 46 or 47 because of new players which means I almost never get leader.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#14 2020-07-12 16:08:05

Arcurus

Mr.XIX wrote:

for sure new players should start with 10 or something....

#15 2020-07-12 16:23:49

Karrots

Eve Troll wrote:

My take: Gene score felt like a response to the degree people that would /die in order to spawn how they wished.

Long story short: gene score felt like an attempt to discourage selfish playstyles, discourage people from abusing the spawn system, and reduce SID babies.

I disagree. We had the precious life update for that. If you die too much, you run out of lives and become unable to play until you get more.

#16 2020-07-12 16:45:58

Erudaru

I'd love to get punished for not making enough food or not teaching new players well enough, but it just doesn't work like that. It doesn't reflect skills (it isn't supposed to I think) nor does it reflect how much I tried to provide for my family and play as a team. It's just pure chance, that's how it feels. I get punished for being born into a certain family, and that's all. Oh well, I guess that's how real life works too, it's unfair, but I don't think that was the concept.

#17 2020-07-13 20:56:50

Eve Troll

Precious life and life token were a complete failure. People still behaved exactly how they did before. You could /die until you got into the family you wanted with full confidence you had a number of lived to /die with. Life token literally serve no purpose now with gene score at play. If you use the tokens you shoot yourself in the foot and score punishes you.

I can agree that the precious life update was an attempt to "discourage people from abusing the spawn system and reduce SID babies" but it never worked, gene score actually worked and effected how people play on an extreme level. Life tokens just dont compare.

#18 2020-07-17 01:18:12

Gomez

Well most eves do a cold smithing start just to advance tech and jump start the village and get knife to knife asap.  You can do a swamp start and go straight for stew and the punish is much less on gene score. Most Eves just rush smithing and well a lot of people starve when you do that.

Problem with that the swamp start is you need to birth a competent founding smith...most people never have to make bellows or the kiln so they aren't adept at quickly throwing that stuff together.  Consider every town you spawn in....the bellow was like made by the eve, who founded the original site.

So with a swamp start yeah people don't starve but by gen 5 they've eaten all the soup not made more and probably have only made ax, shovel, knife blank and file blank....seriously.

Last edited by Gomez (2020-07-17 01:20:07)

#19 2020-07-17 13:27:05

StrongForce

I don't care about my gene score and I almost never get limited by tools slots.

It will be fixed at some point but I don't feel like it's a priority. I love the recent updates let's keep it this way for as long as possible.

Baby dance!!

Board footer