One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-08 01:13:58

Gomez

Appears global fitness going down...

care to comment spoon?  One change is me not cooking and flying off the handles lmfao

seems my usual guard duty at night has been replaced with donkey town whenever the towns consolidate. even when im not pure salt i end up in donkey town when this happens.  then the towns are poorly defended when population lowest.

I'd say using curse for personal spats hurts fitness.  I know it a tough pill to swallow.

I'd say not cursing suicide babies hurts fitness.

Cursing people based on verbal data from others hurt fitness....some people lie.  Observe for yourself before cursing I'd say.

Prolonging minor spats into large drawn out conflict definitely hurts fitness.

Unwillingness to compromise with other village members hurts fitness.

unwilling to learn hurts fitness.  i.e. yum

Rudeness definitely hurts fitness.  lul

I'd also say grief squad likely more active due to success at night recently.

Anyone got anything else?

Last edited by Gomez (2020-06-08 01:24:40)

#2 2020-06-08 02:47:12

x_Raiema_x

Re: Appears global fitness going down...

i SID constantly so that prolly hurts fitness lmfao. ive been choosing specific towns to dedicate my lives to because they all die out so quickly. Sid babies are good for the community because they typically are making plans and building societies. on top of that, if you know youre going to be outside of town with your plans, itd be better to be born a male. it shouldnt affect gene score imo

I say eyyyyyyy constantly <3

#3 2020-06-08 07:09:34

WoodSpoon
Banned

I'm afraid Spoonwood isn't avaliable so you get me instead.

#4 2020-06-08 07:25:04

fug

Eve spawns are bugged therefore no city can (once again) get to oil tech. Just an unfortunate issue with having racial restrictions in game.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2020-06-08 08:10:27

DestinyCall

Yeah, eves are spawning two thousand tiles away from brown family right now.   

How long is it going to take for Jason to admit that race restrictions are broken?

#6 2020-06-08 12:00:05

WoodSpoon
Banned

DestinyCall wrote:

Yeah, eves are spawning two thousand tiles away from brown family right now.   

How long is it going to take for Jason to admit that race restrictions are broken?

Least another year if not never.

#7 2020-06-08 16:44:29

Spoonwood

Down since when?

I would guess that DesitnyCall and fug above have the correct information.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2020-06-08 16:56:23

miskas

whats the bug with Eve spawns? has anyone report on it?

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#9 2020-06-08 17:46:20

DestinyCall

I'm not sure if you can call it a bug, since it is a direct and predictable result of an intentional design choice.    It would be like saying the way war swords worked when they were first released was a bug.   They were broken, not buggy.

Regarding the broken Eves, people didn't like how close Eves were spawning, since they were being dropped into barren spots and next to dead towns.  Or in places that were completely uninhabitable.   So the eve spawn was changed to kick new eves out into fresh territory.   As a direct result, the westward march has been significantly accelerated, so long-lived families get left behind even faster and new Eves spawn in new land that is increasingly distant from earlier settlements.

That would be perfectly fine ... if we did not have race restrictions.   Or if race restrictions were changed to allow independent town development instead of forcing late-game interactions.   Or if we only needed one neighbor instead of multiple neighbors.

But since the current state of the game relies on black/brown/ginger triads, it does not work to have Eves spawn too far away.    At this point, I cannot describe this problem as a "bug".   It is just poor game design.

#10 2020-06-08 18:56:22

wondible

miskas wrote:

whats the bug with Eve spawns? has anyone report on it?

There are two things happening. DestinyCall correctly describes the intended change and it's effects.

The bug is that we jumped 20k west. It was probably counting donkeytown as the westernmost player. 20k between races is kind of a hard block on progress, although I saw some plane activity in the maplogs. Yes, it's been reported.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#11 2020-06-09 09:34:57

Arcurus

yes, its reported. Eve placement did jump wildly.

I proposed an simple algorithm, which was designed to solve both problems / too distant towns and eves spawned in exhausted areas. Sadly it was not used, so the too distant town problem got worse as expected. On top of that there seems to be a bug with the new eve placement which made it jump wildly.

WoodSpoon wrote:

dont know if a Wood Spoon is a good replacement for a Spoon wood....

but who knows

#12 2020-06-09 12:19:29

WoodSpoon
Banned

Arcurus wrote:

yes, its reported. Eve placement did jump wildly.

I proposed an simple algorithm, which was designed to solve both problems / too distant towns and eves spawned in exhausted areas. Sadly it was not used, so the too distant town problem got worse as expected. On top of that there seems to be a bug with the new eve placement which made it jump wildly.

WoodSpoon wrote:

dont know if a Wood Spoon is a good replacement for a Spoon wood....

but who knows

You'd suprised what difference it makes.

#13 2020-06-09 15:22:51

picado

DestinyCall wrote:

So the eve spawn was changed to kick new eves out into fresh territory.   As a direct result, the westward march has been significantly accelerated, so long-lived families get left behind even faster and new Eves spawn in new land that is increasingly distant from earlier settlements.

That would be perfectly fine ... if we did not have race restrictions.   Or if race restrictions were changed to allow independent town development instead of forcing late-game interactions.   Or if we only needed one neighbor instead of multiple neighbors.

Perfect analysis i think. The intent was coping what people needed but the result is worse, because of the other factors like the design choice about tech. Now once a family fails then the oldest town always get the biggest penalty on the cost to communicate to the new family, while the inter-race communication is forced by the game design.

In fact, the west march problem can be mitigated if players get more experience and improve the meta. (If every eve player always find new settlement moving eastward then actually it would be better than ever before), so I wanna point the other problem that never been mentioned in this forum.

The thing that I am worried of is that the current algorithm is too vulnerable.
If one eve settle moving westward then next eve will spawn nearby there.
If the eve is picky so she moves west 1k meters, finding the location of the best, then the next eve will have no option to settle nearby old town.
This happens even if a guy rides a horse and goes west 10k during his life and makes a well site.

The recent change not only accelerated to the west march but also gave griefers more strategies to ruin what people has established.

#14 2020-06-09 17:34:06

Arcurus

here was the eve placement alg that should solve that:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/624

#15 2020-06-09 18:01:34

DestinyCall

picado wrote:

The recent change not only accelerated to the west march but also gave griefers more strategies to ruin what people has established.

I think it is incredibly silly that this game can be broken by someone "running left".   That has to be the stupidest form of griefing I can think of, other than "being a new player".

#16 2020-06-09 22:03:21

Caiaphus Tarwater

Arcurus wrote:

here was the eve placement alg that should solve that:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/624

This suggests a good approach to the problem of the westward march, which I submit is the most important problem in the design of this awesome game.

More natural resources could regenerate in long abandoned areas (as irl).

The "racial restrictions" should go on principle, right now, and other mechanisms, such as regionalized resources, used to force trade (as irl).

Last edited by Caiaphus Tarwater (2020-06-09 22:28:17)

Board footer