One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-06 00:48:05

x_Raiema_x

tutorial for the love of god

ive been getting so many new players as babies and like thats great. i love new players, but theres TOO MANY! you cant teach five kids at once how to yum. its hard to teach a single person how to yum while theyre starving. the tutorial needs to be updated and jason needs to take this issue seriously. towns are dying out as astronomical rates, and the new yum system is good, it works. but with the huge influx of new players, towns are being completly ravaged by berry munchers. you cant talk to someone whos starving and shoving an entire field of carrots into their face. im not saying the turorial would fix towns dying out, but at least give the new players a fighting chance. theres so much wonderful exploration at the end of the tutorial, but its not enough, and its HIDDEN! no new players find it on their own, and the ones that do, cant figure out what to do with it.  the game itself needs to advertise onetech. the game itself needs to teach players to yum. im fine with teaching a kid how to farm, but this is getting ridiculous

I say eyyyyyyy constantly <3

#2 2020-06-06 00:52:49

x_Raiema_x

Re: tutorial for the love of god

its getting to the point where people are starting to think why bother building when the town is guaranteed to not last through the night. no matter how many bears are killed, how much stew is made, how many feast tables are made, how many pies, the new players dont know how to yum and its starving us out, people are angry and griefing out of boredom because they know the town will be forgotten in a matter of hours.  i hope to god you can fix this jason

#3 2020-06-06 11:24:02

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

The amount of new players is kinda of amazing. It's always and forever constantly new players. It seems like people buy the game, play a few times, and then never play again. I've taught SO many people and it never helps the endless plague of newbies.

The tutorial should include farming as it is absolutely the most basic thing. If they knew how to farm they wouldn't feel useless and bored and stop playing. Hell they could actually contribute a lot and help a ton, but no. They're helpless unless someone spends their entire lives dedicated to helping them. It's just wrong to me. I want to teach more advanced stuff, like building creating or bottle making but no. For the millionth time I have to teach farming.

Just another thing Jason doesn't understand. He has no idea the amount of new people we constantly have to deal with. I doubt he cares.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2020-06-06 20:23:41

Karrots

I don't even remember how I learned how to play. I think watching Twisted's videos and learning in-game taught me farming and VERY, VERY basic smithing, and tutorial taught me to Eve. Otherwise it was trial and error and, eventually, me finding onetech.

#5 2020-06-06 20:54:17

DestinyCall

Serious question - should all new players spawn as sterile Eves until they are able to die of old age?   

The tutorial teaches you how to make a fire and eat berries.   Creating a basic eve camp is pretty intuitive and you will learn a great deal just by experimenting.   It isn't as social as being born as a helpless infant, but it would significantly increase the basic skill level of new players by giving them the opportunity to build their own camp and learn the basics of survival.   

Eve spawns would need to be changed around a bit to avoid problems, of course.   It might be nice if solo Eve could be a selectable option on the menu.  You could select to be born as a solo Eve and spawn very far away from active towns as a sterile Eve when you want to get back to basics for a while.

#6 2020-06-06 22:14:09

Spoonwood

Yeah, game was never built such that the player population would be enough to fill all of the servers, in part, because of the lackluster tutorial.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2020-06-06 22:40:55

x_Raiema_x

DestinyCall wrote:

Serious question - should all new players spawn as sterile Eves until they are able to die of old age?   

The tutorial teaches you how to make a fire and eat berries.   Creating a basic eve camp is pretty intuitive and you will learn a great deal just by experimenting.   It isn't as social as being born as a helpless infant, but it would significantly increase the basic skill level of new players by giving them the opportunity to build their own camp and learn the basics of survival.   

Eve spawns would need to be changed around a bit to avoid problems, of course.   It might be nice if solo Eve could be a selectable option on the menu.  You could select to be born as a solo Eve and spawn very far away from active towns as a sterile Eve when you want to get back to basics for a while.

the idea of a sterile eve is definatly intriguing, but i feel like it should also have popups like the tutorial "you'll starve pretty quick without food' and then has the instructions on how to build a farm. a popup that teaches the basics of smithing. hell theres not even a breath in the tutorial of curse or leadership mechanics. i understand that a tutorial cant possibly teach everything but it should have more basics than put kindling on fire. they need to learn to yum before they even start i think

#8 2020-06-07 03:00:24

wondible

DestinyCall wrote:

One of my thought experiments was separating players by experience. server1 takes everyone for their first few hours and so on up. They would be surrounded by people just as lost, but also much more able to relate and pass on recent discoveries. Then you go up a server and encounter players a just a little bit more experienced, but still pretty close to your skill.  Vets could custom server down if they wanted to teach. Player populations would never support it unfortunately.

Some of us remember the early days where pretty much nobody new how to survive. You'd hang out by some berry bushes and maybe try to get some farming started. If you were the last male, maybe you had some time to try and figure out a few steps of smithing or how to start a fire.

I also remember seeing some streamers say they were frustrated getting dropped into an advanced town, and wanted to try and start from scratch some time so they could figure out all the basics. I think they had played earlier versions and were a bit used to that style though.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#9 2020-06-07 09:44:34

The_Anabaptist

I've started filling backpacks with 4 different food stuffs when possible.  At the very least moms can equip it to babies and tell them to eat the items within it and hopefully it will help show them the value of eating different things.

The_Anabaptist

#10 2020-06-07 19:37:44

AmberA

I used to teach new players how to care for berries, until things were changed. Now when I get a new player as a child I teach them 2 things:

1. How to yum and why its important
2. Remind them that everyone playing is another human at home and to be kind. I'll spend longer on this one if they are twins.

Usually after a few sentences I end up popping out another baby so I can't really teach them a job until I get old. AND teaching others how to play over and over gets boring pretty quick.

#11 2020-06-07 19:43:12

AmberA

Actually I don't think a tutorial is what you need, instead what we need is a better UI for recipies. Any other game would have real UI for a recipe book, that would have tabs for categories, such as (starter recpies, animals, building, cooking, forging, hunting, etc). It would be intuitive how to use it, it would have pictures with notes, you could mark your favorites, etc. But that is a TON of work for 1 person so it's unlikely to be made.

#12 2020-06-08 17:14:35

Catfive

I learned watching gameplay videos before ever spawning and then later some parts in game and lots from onetech back in 2018! we are still on quite a lockdown in the UK so i've been around a lot lately and it does seem there is a high level of expectation of hand holding in the newer players. Whatever happened to self reliance and initiative?

#13 2020-06-08 19:40:44

Karrots

Catfive wrote:

it does seem there is a high level of expectation of hand holding in the newer players. Whatever happened to self reliance and initiative?

I doubt you immediately knew where to find helpful videos and websites for OHOL. Sometimes people need the extra shove in the right direction.

The forums are a good start, but not everyone is on them or knows about them.

Videos are often way too long and easy to miss the important parts of, or other noobs.

Wiki is outdated.

Onetech, onemap, etc. don't show up first, second or even fifth in google when you search them, and that's if you know to search them at all.

Games should be intuitive enough to function by themselves without needing mods and other websites open. OHOL sets a high expectation for noobs that they often can't reach. Noobs go on to burden vets because they don't know what to do and lead villages to ruin. It ends up making the game less fun for everyone.

Board footer