One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-22 08:22:20

Lava
Member
Registered: 2019-07-20
Posts: 331

Idea — Road making vehicle

So the concept would be the same, a regular diesal car but if you deposit flat stones in the back of the vehicle it will place them in the direction the car is running.  This would make road building way less tedious and add a larger purpose for cars.

Offline

#2 2020-05-22 09:18:09

Jamie
Member
Registered: 2020-01-20
Posts: 95

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

Maybe a new kind of paved road, Be nice to start modernizing more stuff.

That along with easier building so cities can actually look like cities.

Offline

#3 2020-05-22 11:08:21

StrongForce
Member
Registered: 2018-03-09
Posts: 426

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

Making kero could also produce asphalt like in real life
This asphalt could be loaded into a car.


Baby dance!!

Offline

#4 2020-05-22 17:43:37

pein
Member
Registered: 2018-03-31
Posts: 4,252

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

yeah, i had this idea long long long ago
oil to produce more stuff like plastic and asphalt (real life it has like 30 different uses)
might need to be more oil for same cost but more usages

then the machine could lay straight roads
the downside could be that you need to clear the way in front of it or it wouldn't go forward, that is possible other than laylines (cross one tile only)

flat rocks won't work since you got a conflict with graves and smithies and cooking, also collecting them is 90% of the job, putting them down is 10%
could be a car with 2 large pulleys and 2 small on the back or 2 more large. and an asphalt tank

alternatively cement/sand mixture with water


https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Offline

#5 2020-05-22 18:34:38

Lava
Member
Registered: 2019-07-20
Posts: 331

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

pein wrote:

yeah, i had this idea long long long ago
oil to produce more stuff like plastic and asphalt (real life it has like 30 different uses)
might need to be more oil for same cost but more usages

then the machine could lay straight roads
the downside could be that you need to clear the way in front of it or it wouldn't go forward, that is possible other than laylines (cross one tile only)

flat rocks won't work since you got a conflict with graves and smithies and cooking, also collecting them is 90% of the job, putting them down is 10%
could be a car with 2 large pulleys and 2 small on the back or 2 more large. and an asphalt tank

alternatively cement/sand mixture with water


I really love this idea it will help encourage more interaction between villages, fixes the use of cars, and is interesting content

Offline

#6 2020-05-22 19:34:50

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 3,584

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

We already have a fractional distiller that produces kerosene from crude oil.    But where are all the other petroleum products that are produced during the distillation process.   

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_distillation

It is called "fractional" distillation for a reason.  The crude oil produces a variety of different products that are a fraction of the crude oil input.   The fractions at the top of the fractionating column have lower boiling points than the fractions at the bottom. All of the fractions are processed further in other refined products.

So instead of only getting a tank of kerosene, we should be getting a variety of oil-based ingredients that could each be used for special purposes.   Like we get one tank of kerosene, one tank of gasoline, one tank of diesel fuel, and a bucket of heavy oil.   The heavy oil can be used to make paraffin wax or asphalt.   The diesel fuel would run pumps and drills.  Diesel could be further refined into jet fuel for planes.   Gasoline would be used for cars.   Kerosene could power gas heaters.

And all of these products would be produced in some quantity every time you processed crude oil.   

This would encourage cars and roads, because the gasoline and heavy oil is NOT used to directly generate water.   It is a by-product of diesel fuel production.

Offline

#7 2020-05-22 21:32:00

SirCaio
Member
Registered: 2018-04-01
Posts: 110

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

DestinyCall wrote:

We already have a fractional distiller that produces kerosene from crude oil.    But where are all the other petroleum products that are produced during the distillation process.   

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_distillation

It is called "fractional" distillation for a reason.  The crude oil produces a variety of different products that are a fraction of the crude oil input.   The fractions at the top of the fractionating column have lower boiling points than the fractions at the bottom. All of the fractions are processed further in other refined products.

So instead of only getting a tank of kerosene, we should be getting a variety of oil-based ingredients that could each be used for special purposes.   Like we get one tank of kerosene, one tank of gasoline, one tank of diesel fuel, and a bucket of heavy oil.   The heavy oil can be used to make paraffin wax or asphalt.   The diesel fuel would run pumps and drills.  Diesel could be further refined into jet fuel for planes.   Gasoline would be used for cars.   Kerosene could power gas heaters.

And all of these products would be produced in some quantity every time you processed crude oil.   

This would encourage cars and roads, because the gasoline and heavy oil is NOT used to directly generate water.   It is a by-product of diesel fuel production.

Absolutely! Make oil more interesting, as it currently stands it's an annoying chore that needs to be done, nothing more. This needs to be seen!

Last edited by SirCaio (2020-05-23 00:59:53)

Offline

#8 2020-05-22 22:20:13

Lava
Member
Registered: 2019-07-20
Posts: 331

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

DestinyCall wrote:

We already have a fractional distiller that produces kerosene from crude oil.    But where are all the other petroleum products that are produced during the distillation process.   

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_distillation

It is called "fractional" distillation for a reason.  The crude oil produces a variety of different products that are a fraction of the crude oil input.   The fractions at the top of the fractionating column have lower boiling points than the fractions at the bottom. All of the fractions are processed further in other refined products.

So instead of only getting a tank of kerosene, we should be getting a variety of oil-based ingredients that could each be used for special purposes.   Like we get one tank of kerosene, one tank of gasoline, one tank of diesel fuel, and a bucket of heavy oil.   The heavy oil can be used to make paraffin wax or asphalt.   The diesel fuel would run pumps and drills.  Diesel could be further refined into jet fuel for planes.   Gasoline would be used for cars.   Kerosene could power gas heaters.

And all of these products would be produced in some quantity every time you processed crude oil.   

This would encourage cars and roads, because the gasoline and heavy oil is NOT used to directly generate water.   It is a by-product of diesel fuel production.


I hope Jason sees this, these ideas are amazing and would add so much to the end game . I really hope Jason atleast considers this!

Offline

#9 2020-05-23 08:02:21

Lava
Member
Registered: 2019-07-20
Posts: 331

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

Disregarding the initial concept of mine, Destiny’s idea for an expansion on oil and Peins idea for the road making vehicle sound like two amazing new changes that would change how the end game could work. Can we possibly see cars being widespread in all towns?

Offline

#10 2020-05-23 08:24:56

pein
Member
Registered: 2018-03-31
Posts: 4,252

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

cars are in a bad spot right now, engine removal sucks all around, destroying them sucks even more
horses are fine, even overpowered, it would be okay a nerf on horses like they would need to eat grain from time to time to move, that can be done even in the wild, so they got a cost

cars would need a different cost, running them while not using makes them really inefficient, they are still mainly a vehicle that has to carry stuff, not just memeing around with it, generally, you don't have a point B you want to get with it, since you only have cars in good cities. Point A to B is also bad, since that 10 minutes won't change the fact that you cant use the kerosene efficiently and way better to use for water.

IF there would be a different fuel, like diesel or benzene then that would be solved.

The storage space must include a tank of kero right now, that's an issue on its own, but the 4 wheels for 3 slots are really bad compared to 8 with 2 wheels.

The other issue is that people lose them. That's why I had the idea of cars only running on connected roads. You could always find them and with decent road system you could revisit locations and move items in between, that would be decent usage for it (except that people would fuck up the engines anyway).


https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Offline

#11 2020-05-23 08:36:58

Lava
Member
Registered: 2019-07-20
Posts: 331

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

pein wrote:

cars are in a bad spot right now, engine removal sucks all around, destroying them sucks even more
horses are fine, even overpowered, it would be okay a nerf on horses like they would need to eat grain from time to time to move, that can be done even in the wild, so they got a cost

cars would need a different cost, running them while not using makes them really inefficient, they are still mainly a vehicle that has to carry stuff, not just memeing around with it, generally, you don't have a point B you want to get with it, since you only have cars in good cities. Point A to B is also bad, since that 10 minutes won't change the fact that you cant use the kerosene efficiently and way better to use for water.

IF there would be a different fuel, like diesel or benzene then that would be solved.

The storage space must include a tank of kero right now, that's an issue on its own, but the 4 wheels for 3 slots are really bad compared to 8 with 2 wheels.

The other issue is that people lose them. That's why I had the idea of cars only running on connected roads. You could always find them and with decent road system you could revisit locations and move items in between, that would be decent usage for it (except that people would fuck up the engines anyway).



I agree with a new fuel different from the kerosene used in wells. I think the playerbase will always see cars as a waste of kerosene because it could much rather be converted into water. But a different fuel source like the one destiny suggested would eliminate this issue immediately and incentivize the making of cars. Also the fact that after the use is done the car will still be running so maybe being able to stop the car from wasting the kerosene/ future fuel source will work very well.

Offline

#12 2020-05-23 13:03:47

Kinrany
Member
Registered: 2018-01-22
Posts: 695

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

Is laying stones really the hard part? You could ask for a bulldozer instead

Offline

#13 2020-05-23 15:13:22

SirCaio
Member
Registered: 2018-04-01
Posts: 110

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

Kinrany wrote:

Is laying stones really the hard part? You could ask for a bulldozer instead

It's not hard at all, it's tedious. Also, doing something super efficiently really tricks the dopamine receptors in the brain and that's why we play games right??

Offline

#14 2020-05-23 15:56:45

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 3,584

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

Here's a thought for how to make cars better than horses:

Step 1 -  Add gasoline as a by-product of kerosene production.   It can only be used in cars/planes and it gets produced during crude oil refinement so advanced towns would start to accumulate a lot of gasoline once they started to rely on oil for water production.   

Step 2 - Change cars so they drive at about the same speed as the current horse cart on open ground BUT when you drive on a road, they auto-path along the fast road at a much higher rate than a horse. 

Step 3- Increase the standard carrying capacity of the car to 8 items so it matches the horse cart with rubber wheels.

....

Additional recommended changes for the horse

Decrease the speed of the standard horse-cart so people have a choice between riding a horse for speed/protection  or pulling a cart for extra carrying capacity.   

Horse cart with rubber wheels gets a speed boost on roads, like the car.  Off-road it is slower, due to the soft wheels.

...

Together, these changes would promote road-building and car driving to increase efficient transportation between important locations.       Add the ability to make asphalt roads and we are getting one step closer to OHOL with traffic jams!

Offline

#15 2020-06-25 02:21:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 4,676

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

The other by-products from oil (the fractional part) is coming in the future.

Offline

#16 2020-06-25 03:17:56

SirCaio
Member
Registered: 2018-04-01
Posts: 110

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

Poggers!

Offline

#17 2020-06-25 04:45:04

Gogo
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2019-10-11
Posts: 489

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

We always need something to do in towns, because we need variety diet, but I see people are making towns prettier, building radios and cars. Game is flourishing now. And I saw someone used a car to bring stuff, just now, in Batman family. It's now locked in property.

But to whom should we gave access to cars? Leader can't leave homelands, it can create problems. My daughter asked me for gate access and said she built the car. I had a feeling it might be true, but I didn't wanna risk losing it.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-06-25 07:52:01)

Offline

#18 2020-06-25 09:23:46

Guy
Member
Registered: 2020-06-18
Posts: 71

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

Nice necro Jason, Reported.

Offline

#19 2020-06-26 18:01:44

Villas
Member
Registered: 2019-03-16
Posts: 201

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

It has been suggested for years and I simply love this idea. Perhaps it could be a new functionality to the car, we could be able to upgrade the cars to till soil, plant seeds, make roads. I don't think it is hard to code and we have almost all sprites done, it would be an upgrade in the tech what we don't have for a long time, I think it's the perfect moment to do an update towards that direction.

Offline

#20 2020-07-08 20:09:22

Lava
Member
Registered: 2019-07-20
Posts: 331

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

So glad this idea got some love

Offline

#21 2020-07-08 23:08:57

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 4,676

Re: Idea — Road making vehicle

[whistles innocently]

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB