One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-06 22:23:33

danger1penguin

WORMS! The Albert-Whitney Law. Everything you need to know about worms

Edit: The Law is that Worms do not respawn. Do not let your precious soil go to waste, it is finite!

As of April 6th, 2018 the latest version of One Hour One Life involves worms.

What are worms for you ask? Jason has added them as an additional step in composting. Thus, if you want to produce soil, you must add complete the old procedure, and at the end, add a worm.

Now there is a problem with worms. There is no previous evidence on whether they are renewable. Therefore, two in-game lives were spent experimenting with the process. Of course, someone could just look at the game files and tells us the answer, but we decided to run a fun experiment. This experiment was run by myself and another player as my son. Our names in this life were Whitney and Albert respectively, our last name was not given.

Thus, I present to you the Albert-Whitney Law.

(This post is to be updated once the experiment is complete by Albert).

The hypothesis was that soil and worms will not respawn after 1 epoch.

The data was collected on 3 pits. 1 with no worms. 1 with some worms. 1 with all worms (called wormy empty fertile soil pit).

As of my age of 6, the pits started to be observed. Albert was born around my age of 20.

At my death, none of the pits had gained soil or worms. This is 6 minutes or less shy of an epoch. Thus, Albert's data collection is required for experimental completion.

If the soil or worms do respawn for him, the data suggests that that resource is renewable at the rate of x/epoch. If not, we need to establish rules for collecting soil and worms. To be updated!

Last edited by danger1penguin (2018-04-06 23:22:50)

#2 2018-04-06 22:39:39

Joriom
Website

Re: WORMS! The Albert-Whitney Law. Everything you need to know about worms

As already stated by Jason - worms are finite resource. After you use all the fertile pits around you - you're done with farming. No more soil for you.

So basically, if you want to farm carrots - make sure you not only have access to water but also to VERY BIG savanna biome nearby for the seeds and make sure you don't dig them up. (I think it takes epoch for wild seeds to regrow and you get three from one wild carrot) Otherwise you will run our of soil because of seeding carrots pretty fast. Also - any carrots that go to seeding are simply BAD thing now.

Considering the above - berry farms might actually be more viable if made in large enough quantities. The problem is - trolls can just dig them up and wipe your town.

#3 2018-04-06 23:21:43

danger1penguin

danger1penguin wrote:
Drakulon wrote:

Now that we need worms to make compost, we need a way to make more worms.
Otherwise every civilization will run out of farm land sooner or later.

I haven't seen anyone comment on them potentially respawning. Although, in the past, a random mother told me not to dig up a soil pit because it slowly refills over time. If this is true, I wonder if the worms also respawn once the soil has refilled to some extent. However, if this is not true, there are some new rules we need to establish. As long as apocalypses don't become the norm, we need to have a way to keep food sources sustainable to some degree.

At all costs, don't waste soil for a non-renewable food source.

This means:
1. Don't let carrots seed. Only get seeds from wild carrots.
2. Don't ever pick wild carrots (not a new rule but more important now).
3. Never use wheat. Yes, this means no more pies.
4. Berries will become the only reasonable massive food stock. Only waste soil on them, but at the same time, we risk griefers shoveling up all the bushes.
5. Over time convert carrots and berries to farm mutton.

Assuming Jason fixes things over time, this shouldn't last forever.
We are looking at potentially 14 soil per pit. Let's make this work!

Yeah, I'm aware as you can see I was contributing to another post that you also spoke in. I haven't seen the post from Jason, so we wanted to test, but I'm willing to believe at this point. Especially because I have a feeling that 5th apocalypse killed Albert shortly after I died. Kind of frustrating because I thought Jason turned it off. From my suggestions, you can see I definitely agree that berry farms are the best option, despite the fact you still have to protect the bushes from trolls. Meanwhile, people are currently letting carrots seed all over because the mass are not aware of the worm addition, so let the struggle continue!

#4 2018-04-07 07:38:05

Alleria

Given how much less effort is required to grow berries, the necessary protection is somewhat counter-balanced. Berry farms are the future!

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#5 2018-04-07 14:08:00

breezeknight

wild carrots spawn 2 seeds not 3

someone has to update Wiki regarding worms, especially since it's such an essential thing

IRL worms wander from fertile soil they produced to fresh compost, we have in game no such option where soil meets compost

#6 2018-04-07 14:48:59

Thexus

Liar, empty fertile soil pits with worms are called "worm pits". How could i trust in any of the experiments, if you couldn't use the correct terms?

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

Board footer