As of right now and just basing it on my memory we have:

-Homeland
-Posse
-War/peace
-Hierarchy
-Tool slots
-Family restrictions
-Language barriers

Dont you guys think we are overloading the game with this?

make bread, no war

#2 2020-05-18 16:07:31

tocal

Re: Systems within systems

Yes. Good design makes things intuitive. You don't want the game to be so unintuitive that the barrier to entry is too high for new people to enjoy the game.

#3 2020-05-18 16:13:14

Gomez

barrier for entry is low FILL BERRI BOWL PEASANTS! lol jk not everyone needs to know every in and out of the game hell we all learning anytime jason makes a big update tbh.  what really hurts is when new players are unwilling to learn.  the idea of the game is to learn a portion of the game and be a part of a group that ideally has enough knowledge among them to survive.

it is complex but that's what i like about OHOL

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-18 16:15:48)

#4 2020-05-18 16:16:57

voy178

The tutorial needs to be expanded to include the newer features. The fact that race limitation is not active in the tutorial is confusing to new players.

How about rooms for building, more complex food, water technology, etc. We need generous training grounds for new players to understand whats going on.

#5 2020-05-18 16:20:51

JonySky
Website

Do you still believe that this game evolved into something different, something better, something more intuitive ...? Hahaha

#6 2020-05-18 16:30:19

Arcurus

what is about war/peace? saw it somewhere but no clue...

Hierarchy and language barriers are fine if language can be learned with generations and hierachy does not come with exile = execution. better exile = you are limted to pick up stuff to age 3 and combat single combat. no clue about the war feature....

#7 2020-05-18 16:48:19

pein

jason: every player reads updates, understands the mechanics and knows how they work
also jason: veterans will do it
also jason: kill every mofoker within 30 generations
also jason: griefing is part of the game
also jason: you not allowed to defend yourself from it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2020-05-18 16:54:29

Spoonwood

Yea, it's a mess.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2020-05-18 17:36:32

Arcurus

pein wrote:

jason: every player reads updates, understands the mechanics and knows how they work
also jason: veterans will do it
also jason: kill every mofoker within 30 generations
also jason: griefing is part of the game
also jason: you not allowed to defend yourself from it

wasnt the posse intended to kill the griefers?

I think Jason is trying hard to give the community some tools to stop the griefers, but it looks he doesnt know how yet.

Even cursing is kind of strange. Why you can curse other family members?  Why there is a need to curse at all if you could use the combat system. Only nice thing i see is, that you know its the same one if he comes again.

#10 2020-05-18 18:03:33

pein

removing skill-based duels was the biggest problem of all time, it removed a huge chunk of the game
I still believe that skilled players should have an advantage over noob griefers, experienced griefers will still find their way anyway

the other problem is that he is not adding anything to the game, bored people killed a lot of others since that triggered some emotions and gave some meaning to their lives, at least way a weird story

cursing was abused many times before, instead of having a skill-based honourable duel system, we got these judgy noobs who think they should have the power to tell what others should do, the worst griefing ever is going around and convincing others to curse others, no one will accept any way that he was wrong and no one will say that he deserved what he got for it, I don't see any scenario where I would let someone live that I would curse, petty curses are just useless and dumb, it just made me communicate even less, it's rewarding for these butthurt lazy asses and sneaky idiots who just want to ruin others gameplay for no real reason

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2020-05-21 02:24:06

olooopo

Gomez wrote:

barrier for entry is low FILL BERRI BOWL PEASANTS! lol jk not everyone needs to know every in and out of the game hell we all learning anytime jason makes a big update tbh.  what really hurts is when new players are unwilling to learn.  the idea of the game is to learn a portion of the game and be a part of a group that ideally has enough knowledge among them to survive.

it is complex but that's what i like about OHOL

Complexity does not need a convoluted system. All rules in chess or go can be easily learned in half an hour, however, it takes years to master the complex strategies in those games. In contrast, it takes weeks in ohol to decipher the unintuitive and magical gameplay rules. And even then updates are constantly changing the game which adds to the confusion. after you know how the game works, the game itself is very simple/boring and there aren't really things to master in it. Making advanced technologies like cars or radios is not complex but complicated. Maybe interactions with other players make the game complex from time to time but that's it.

#12 2020-05-21 04:52:24

Jamie

We need a new system for all the systems.

#13 2020-05-21 07:00:12

Blue tinker

Dantox wrote:

As of right now and just basing it on my memory we have:

-Homeland
-Posse
-War/peace
-Hierarchy
-Tool slots
-Family restrictions
-Language barriers

Dont you guys think we are overloading the game with this?

Yeah, while I like the tool slot system, different languages don't bother me (there is a use for paper and rubber balls) and I enjoy roleplaying related with hierarchy stuff I must agree that Posse, Hierarchy and Family Restrictions are unintuitive and complex to explain to new players. I met a player who wanted to bake but didn't even try to use the oven as it clearly said "unlearned tool". Some mechanics should be changed to more intuitive, in my opinion, or at least get a shoutout in the tutorial. Seriously, we've been getting a lot of new mechanics recently but not even one of them got a place in the tutorial or at least the esc menu.

My idea would be to add a section in the main menu called "Advanced mechanics" or something. It wouldn't be a tutorial in-game, like the current one is, but would explain confusing mechanics with a couple of lines and screenshots (or GIFs) as the gamedev is good at making the latter.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#14 2020-05-21 09:16:21

Crumpaloo

Your all just sour grapes with bad ideas. All of those updates were from community feedback so its all your fault. Dont like warswords? Now its a dead mechanic. Dont like the Rift? LOL, was temporary. Just a experiment to gauge how the community would react.

Posse Update 1: Failed

Posse Update 2: Failed

Posse Update 3: Failed

Posse Update 4: Failed

Posse Update 5: Failed

Posse Update 6: Failed

Posse Update 7: Failed

Posse Update 8: Failed

Posse Update 9: Failed

Posse Update 10: Failed

Posse Update 11: Failed

Posse Update 12: ???

What your looking at here is world-class game design.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#15 2020-05-24 19:45:12

Glassius

Can I suggest to make the thread stick always on the main side? With hyperlinks to threads describing every system? I think newbies would appreciate it. And maybe veterans, too!

Board footer