One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-18 11:06:16

FulmenTheFinn

Unclaimable wells leading to abandoned towns en masse

For most of OHOL's existence families generally have survived for circa 12-24h. Not great, but not the end of the world. However under the current spawn algorithm, coupled with the homeland system, not only do families die out within hours, so do towns. This is caused by nothing but shallow wells being claimable, leaving abandoned towns uninhabitable, which in turn means all the hard work put into improving those towns will effectively be gone to the ether within a day, making it all rather pointless. In order to increase the longevity of towns, and thus giving players a greater reason to put in the time and effort in improving their habitat, I suggest making it possible to claim all types of abandoned wells.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#2 2020-05-18 11:28:32

minth

Re: Unclaimable wells leading to abandoned towns en masse

What are you talking about???
It is already possible to claim all types of abandoned wells.
To claim a first-tier well you need a bowl, second-tier well you need a bucket, Newcomen well need rubber, engine well need oil to claim.
You need to use the well to claim it,

#3 2020-05-18 11:31:49

FulmenTheFinn

minth wrote:

What are you talking about???
It is already possible to claim all types of abandoned wells.
To claim a first-tier well you need a bowl, second-tier well you need a bucket, Newcomen well need rubber, engine well need oil to claim.
You need to use the well to claim it,

Aha, OK. However there's a lot of good towns out there with exhausted wells that require an engine, but can't be claimed before an engine is made.  These should also be claimable, so that a new population can live there whilst an engine is made in the meantime.

EDIT: Same deal with newcomen wells with no tires around.

Last edited by FulmenTheFinn (2020-05-18 11:40:47)

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#4 2020-05-18 11:38:33

minth

There is no benefit to claim exhausted well because of no water.
If your town's well is exhausted it still counts as your family well, it is not abandoned well yet, you still can have homeland and babies.
If your family die out it turns to an abandoned well.

Edit: imagine someone riding horse all the map and easy claim all abandoned well

Last edited by minth (2020-05-18 11:40:31)

#5 2020-05-18 11:43:36

FulmenTheFinn

minth wrote:

There is no benefit to claim exhausted well because of no water.
If your town's well is exhausted it still counts as your family well, it is not abandoned well yet, you still can have homeland and babies.
If your family die out it turns to an abandoned well.

Edit: imagine someone riding horse all the map and easy claim all abandoned well

Just today whilst playing as a daughter of Eve Laskar, our entire family relocated to a very developed nearby abandoned city with plenty of water (20 or so cisterns, all full!), food and iron, only to discover we couldn't feasibly live there because we couldn't claim the well (needed an engine). Our Eve hadn't actually tapped a well site, so technically we had no homeland, and some of us could give birth. Curiously if we went out of the area of our birth for I reckon over 100 tiles (default homesick range), we became permanently homesick and unable to spawn babies. Only way around that was to tap a well site, which we eventually did when migrating back to the Eve camp. This is not ideal.

Yes, riding around in a horse claiming abandoned well sites would be a problem. Ideally there'd be mechanisms preventing that.

#6 2020-05-18 11:55:22

minth

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

Yes, riding around in a horse claiming abandoned well sites would be a problem. Ideally there'd be mechanisms preventing that.

It already has a solution for that: You need to use the well to claim it. Don't give Jason any more bad idea. tongue
Eve can have babies anywhere when you don't tap a well yet if Eve walk in to other family home land she cant have babies there. A family which have no home land maybe can have bb anywhere too, im not sure.
In your case the best choice is to make a new camp near that town and try to make an engine. Actually I'm not sure what the best choice is. The game is really suk atm and I intends to not playing it for now.

#7 2020-05-18 12:15:12

Coconut Fruit

I guess this is the town you are talking about:
2020-05-18_02_15_46.png

Seems like blacks died out a few hours ago, I wonder what happened, but if you saying there is no engine that means it's likely that they got griefed.

Yeah, kinda sad that we can't claim the well without an engine. I'm not sure if we don't also need kerosene to claim it, if yes, that means this town most likely will remain dead.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#8 2020-05-18 12:52:47

Spoonwood

Huh another building that does jack squat for temperature purposes.  More evidence that people don't build buildings for temperature purposes, or understanding how that system works is just too complicated for the scope of people playing on bs2 in general.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2020-05-18 15:27:16

pein

it's Jason's intention, he didn't even understand or cared about cistern water, he intended you to claim a well, but touching it will not o anyhing, you got to use it. While it's the sensible action to fill cisterns with water, so you can do the tech upgrades faster, it can make it harder to claim for eves. but you need to look around, another well activates nearby and you still can be within homeland range to an abandoned town

it's just hard to claim a Newcomen well since there are no resources, and engines get  stolen or destroyed when a family dies out. when you see no oil or iron left, don't take the city, is a noobttrap

the town on that picture is -500 -500 from a huge brown family, there are several wells and resources nearby and SE, one must be exhausted other is not.

You see in this picture where is brown an family, not sure but might have rubber left
black latifi had horses
o and p are the oil spots
that new well is near a town thatt was taken over by gingers few days ago

pgga5Cf.png

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2020-05-23 14:45:13

FulmenTheFinn

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I guess this is the town you are talking about:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … _15_46.png

Seems like blacks died out a few hours ago, I wonder what happened, but if you saying there is no engine that means it's likely that they got griefed.

Yeah, kinda sad that we can't claim the well without an engine. I'm not sure if we don't also need kerosene to claim it, if yes, that means this town most likely will remain dead.

Yep, that's the one. 25 cisterns, all full of water and can't claim it because no engine and kerosene. It's ridiculous. No wonder towns last such a short amount of time now.

#11 2020-05-23 15:50:47

miskas

I run in the same problem today with a white family.
We even had black eve family living with us for a period as both didn't had a claimed well.
City had ton of rubber , water ,iron , food but we couldn't claim it.

I opened an issue about it. https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/809

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

Board footer