One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-15 13:27:06

pein

Posse and leadership is background process people don't know or care

I would be in favour of meritocracy, historically and even gameplay wise would be better if the right people lead the towns
We still don't have a scoring system to show the usefulness of people and only veterans recognize other veterans, sometimes people stop and stare that how fast I'm working with swapping items but other than that I might go unnoticed by everyone, now I'm not talking about myself, I talk about veterans in general. I would accept a good player as a leader, but oftentimes I see them ordering dumb stuff like someone made a proper kiln setup 10 tiles to the right and she already panicked about griefers stole the bellows.

Or the other game I dug up bushes and organized the farm, and the leader was ordering them to plant more or the other life, the leader told them to water plants when the sensible action would have been to use that little water on pies and advanced foods.

The solution would be a hybrid system, the leaders could be chosen from the available high leadership number people, but an election would be held between the top 3 so people can decide. This should be as simple as possible, so you don't spend a lot of time with it, lets say 3 or 4 people have to apply within 2 minutes, people give votes under 2 minutes, this could be held every 15 minutes or so it isn't too often
should be simple, like some sort of tables where the applicants stand and people giving votes by touching their table

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2020-05-15 18:01:24

Crumpaloo

Re: Posse and leadership is background process people don't know or care

I could think of at-least 4 or 5 ways to fix the killing system but no point, they would just get labeled as "bad ideas"  meanwhile Strongforce's idea about leadership being tied to killing just got bobo a weeks worth of content.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#3 2020-05-15 19:18:02

Arcurus

Crumpaloo wrote:

I could think of at-least 4 or 5 ways to fix the killing system but no point, they would just get labeled as "bad ideas"  meanwhile Strongforce's idea about leadership being tied to killing just got bobo a weeks worth of content.

which fixes would you suggest?

#4 2020-05-15 19:27:23

tocal

my ideas:

Killing someone also kills the killer. This allows non-death griefers to be killed by someone who care enough to sacrifice their life to do so. Also, killing griefing just isn't worth it anymore.

locking gates and doors causes someone to freeze for a bit, making this kind of griefing harder.

carrying an engine makes one move slowly. ( I know it was like this before, not sure if still like that)
This would include an engine in a cart. Cart/wheelbarrl moves slower now too.
putting something in a scrap box slows them down drastically, giving someone a chance to kill the scrapper.

#5 2020-05-15 19:49:52

Arcurus

tocal wrote:

my ideas:

Killing someone also kills the killer. This allows non-death griefers to be killed by someone who care enough to sacrifice their life to do so. Also, killing griefing just isn't worth it anymore.

locking gates and doors causes someone to freeze for a bit, making this kind of griefing harder.

carrying an engine makes one move slowly. ( I know it was like this before, not sure if still like that)
This would include an engine in a cart. Cart/wheelbarrl moves slower now too.
putting something in a scrap box slows them down drastically, giving someone a chance to kill the scrapper.

that killing oneself sounds drastic... i could understand if that happens if you kill your own mother or child, or brother  / sister.
Maybe killign a close relative could reduce the gene score drastically at once and if you reach zero you kill yourself too, since no point to life on.

what you mean with locking the gates?

i think caring an engine slows one down if i remember right, with the wheelbarrow i dont know... for sure its to easy  to "fix" / recycle engines.

#6 2020-05-15 20:49:54

tocal

@Arcurus Killing someone also ending the killer means that griefing through killing also kills the griefer, so problem solved. If someone is griefing through not killing, they can still be killed, but with a method that doesn't allow abuse. I would argue that this is way less drastic and simpler than the current system.

When you close a property gate, lock a box, or lock a door, you can trap people inside. This is another form of griefing. Slowing someone down or freezing them makes it much easier to kill them, allowing those inside to possibly escape.

Basically, what I'm suggesting is that griefable actions slows someone down so it's easier for the town to deal with them.

#7 2020-05-15 22:34:27

Arcurus

tocal wrote:

@Arcurus Killing someone also ending the killer means that griefing through killing also kills the griefer, so problem solved. If someone is griefing through not killing, they can still be killed, but with a method that doesn't allow abuse. I would argue that this is way less drastic and simpler than the current system.

When you close a property gate, lock a box, or lock a door, you can trap people inside. This is another form of griefing. Slowing someone down or freezing them makes it much easier to kill them, allowing those inside to possibly escape.

Basically, what I'm suggesting is that griefable actions slows someone down so it's easier for the town to deal with them.

sounds interesting, but how they escape if trapped in a property fence?

#8 2020-05-15 22:48:33

tocal

If the whole town is stuck in a property fence, then you're dead. If one person is outside and can stab, then they can kill the griefer. Ownership of property gate would have to go to next of kin or unowned if nobody... which allows the people to get out. Not saying this is how it currently works, but how it should work if this were to be implemented.

#9 2020-05-15 23:40:18

pein

I don't really care about bubu, its just  one kid hungry for attention
The killing was fine when you could 1 on 1 anyone, in the end, you come to the conclusion that you can only blame yourself especially when the system somewhat works, and if you can only blame yourself, then at least do it yourself

I remember preemptively building teleports to be able to take revenge just in case, or telling one person where some hidden pads are, that wasn't either the best design but still better

not sure how jason imagines the game, but there is a really big difference on what he thinks and what actually is
60 minutes tops, you don't have much time, it won't be meaningful, you can't spend it with worrying about things that may or may not happen, it's just not fun, waiting 50 minutes for something to happens is wasted time, but if it happens then you barely got time to react

this slow-paced game is forced on us, you can't use tools, can't get any resource you want, meanwhile, someone can die in a minute and there is chaos, but you should organize leaders for your butterfly life? we would need more help with that

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer