Arcurus

Suggestion: Different Seasons - not always the sun is shining lovely

Extreme Heat
- dries up water (by random)
- temperature x 1,5
- Increases wild animal attacks since they are hungry
Absolute Extreme Heat
- Can only come after 3 years in a extreme heat
- dries up water very quickly (by random)
- temperature x 2
- Drastically Increases wild animal attacks since they are very very hungry
Hard Winter (change depending on Biome)
- Temperature X 0,5
- Doubles time to grow food
- Increases wild animal attacks since they are hungry
Starving Winter (change depending on Biome)
- Can only come after 3 years in a hard winter
- Stops all food growth
- Temperature X 0,5
- Drastically Increases wild animal attacks since they are very very hungry

Here in the suggestion reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … s_shining/

and here some positive seasons, the berry eater will like the berry season for sure, the others will hate it and uproot all the berries....

Seasonal food - to encourage creation of different kind of foods

Round about each 10 years there is a new random chosen seasonal food

- Seasonal food gets lot more food

- Seasonal food is displayed as a picture in the screen

- Seasonal food grows faster and there is a bigger 5x supply

Effect:

This encourage to create different kind of foods

Here in the suggestion reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … different/

#2 2020-05-11 01:12:05

Lightning

Re: Suggestion: Different Seasons - not always the sun is shining lovely

Hmm... wouldn't that make OHOL a completly different game though?

Yeah, maybe thats what people need afterall, some new content to enjoy to, not necesarily changing the mecanics of the game, but rather offering actual enjoyable content.

A breath of fresh air.

#3 2020-05-11 02:34:30

Laskara

I feel like most of ohol revolves around food production right now as it is

#4 2020-05-11 02:53:53

pein

I would like adapting over generic gameplay, in the end is survival, that should mean some risk at all stages, personal and collective

it's interesting that you can be rewarded or punished for your actions

not sure how he can implement seasons, maybe just some overlay change

tower defence style animal attacks would be okay

would need more static activities for drastic temp changes so we can sit inside and produce
maybe some tech-based food production timers
also renewable resources, and could change the output based on season
but then would need higher tier foods too

I would like some foods that are temporary, like shrooms after rain could be collected

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2020-05-11 03:24:34

Spoonwood

Of course this would be better.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2020-05-11 06:45:18

Blue tinker

It sounds interesting, offering a lot of new content revolving around the season mechanic. I'm thinking greenhouses - growing food inside would make it safe from most negative aspects of the seasons. Building would become not only useful but almost crucial. There could also be added plants that would respawn randomly each corresponding season. Will definitely upvote on reddit so the developer sees.

My only concern about it is that it may completely demolish eve runs. Maybe the first few generations would get extra pips for each food they eat?

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#7 2020-05-11 06:56:19

Spoonwood

Blue tinker wrote:

Will definitely upvote on reddit so the developer sees.

A while back Jason said that he rarely goes to the reddit.  Unless something has changed, which I doubt.

No, it's not about having satisfied customers.  It's just a way of using people for ideas, when he doesn't have any.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Finally, there are some times when I'm really stuck on something and request ideas.  And that's what I use the Suggestions subreddit for---when I'm completely out of ideas, I look there for inspiration.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 202#p62202

The whole game is based on people entertaining other people, not on the product having interesting aspects in itself (Jason wants people to play for the sake of their lineages so that one person will entertain another... it's not about playing a part in a larger story, because there is no coherent larger story of families).

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-05-11 06:56:46)

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-05-11 09:07:57

Arcurus

Blue tinker wrote:

It sounds interesting, offering a lot of new content revolving around the season mechanic. I'm thinking greenhouses - growing food inside would make it safe from most negative aspects of the seasons. Building would become not only useful but almost crucial. There could also be added plants that would respawn randomly each corresponding season. Will definitely upvote on reddit so the developer sees.

My only concern about it is that it may completely demolish eve runs. Maybe the first few generations would get extra pips for each food they eat?

thx for up voting!

To eves. I think one solution would be to first of all make sure that eve does not spawn in an exhausted area, secondly instead off changing the food values with generations we could give generally more food at starting / in the wild nature but slow down food growth rate. This would lead to naturally make it more easy in the beginning and more harder the longer you are on the same place without having an generational limit which also limits the ability to create offspring villages.

#9 2020-05-11 10:17:59

Ruben

Tbh I wouldn't mind having weather just for aesthetic reasons. No need to 'spice it up'.

#10 2020-05-11 12:31:09

Jamie

Be cool if Biome Access could change during seasons. When winter comes various biomes become too cold to access, Giving Gingers more value and a similar thing for other races.

Could also allow people to access biomes they usually couldn't. Snow no longer gives frigid cold during extreme heat for example.

Living in desert or snow suddenly has more of an upside. Since a desert would never freeze up, It would make sense for blacks to live in it. Other races might even come to escape extreme cold but will need to leave again when things return to normal. No more just migrating and staying in that town forever.

#11 2020-05-11 12:38:19

Arcurus

Jamie wrote:

Be cool if Biome Access could change during seasons. When winter comes various biomes become too cold to access, Giving Gingers more value and a similar thing for other races.

Could also allow people to access biomes they usually couldn't. Snow no longer gives frigid cold during extreme heat for example.

Living in desert or snow suddenly has more of an upside. Since a desert would never freeze up, It would make sense for blacks to live in it. Other races might even come to escape extreme cold but will need to leave again when things return to normal. No more just migrating and staying in that town forever.

lol, was not thinking about this, but yea climate migration sounds great!

#12 2020-05-11 15:28:16

Dantox

Lightning wrote:

Hmm... wouldn't that make OHOL a completly different game though?

Why do you consider that?

Seasons just offers more content and gives more immersion.

make bread, no war

#13 2020-05-11 18:50:16

Laskara

Arcurus wrote:
Jamie wrote:

lol, was not thinking about this, but yea climate migration sounds great!

I third this actually, this would be a really, really helpful idea for families that can't find a specific other race for one of the region locked items

#14 2020-05-12 03:55:23

karltown_veteran

Sounds exciting. I’m down.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#15 2020-05-12 05:25:51

Rabbitmelon

I like the idea too. Especially the biome access part. Maybe there are only three seasons. Hot, normal, and cold. Each season lasts an hour.

#16 2020-05-12 06:22:18

testo

Haha, so cute. People making suggestions and even agreeing on them.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#17 2020-05-12 08:08:21

Jamie

testo wrote:

Can't tell if you are happy or just being condescending, Please clarify.

#18 2020-05-12 09:10:06

testo

Jamie wrote:
testo wrote:

Can't tell if you are happy or just being condescending, Please clarify.

Happy ofc smile

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#19 2020-05-12 10:38:15

Blue tinker

Rabbitmelon wrote:

I like the idea too. Especially the biome access part. Maybe there are only three seasons. Hot, normal, and cold. Each season lasts an hour.

Wouldn't an hour be a little too much? I mean, some players may not like the fact that to do certain things you need to wait in real time for time when there is hot season. If someone had specific hours in which they can play, then they would experience the same seasons every time they log in.

I would suggest season changes very half an hour or so. But I like the simplified vrsion with three seasons. Much more intuitive, would be esy to explain to new players.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#20 2020-05-12 20:07:47

Rabbitmelon

If biome access is readily available, people would just rely on it than trade. That is conflicting with specialized family update.
So perhaps, the cold/hot times are special? The normal season would take up most of the time. Normal lasts 1 hour, cold/hot lasts 30 min.

It would be like hot. Normal. Cold. Normal. Hot. Etc

#21 2020-05-12 20:56:37

Arcurus

Rabbitmelon wrote:

If biome access is readily available, people would just rely on it than trade. That is conflicting with specialized family update.
So perhaps, the cold/hot times are special? The normal season would take up most of the time. Normal lasts 1 hour, cold/hot lasts 30 min.

It would be like hot. Normal. Cold. Normal. Hot. Etc

my idea was to have the seasons little bit unpredictable. like a super hard cold season can come only during a cold season, so there is a warning to prepare for the worst...

#22 2020-05-12 21:19:03

OminousBladeBlank

The LAST thing we need is for food and water to be further limited.

Increased animal populations and attacks? Sure.

Aesthetics? Absolutely, why not?

Temperature? Sure man, whatever. It would create use for closed rooms and locked saferooms/nurseries.

Once food and water start getting fucked with, I have to say a hard no from me. The food system is already fucked. Removing water from the game is insane. However, if cisterns inside rooms would not decay in heat, now we're getting somewhere interesting.

I want rooms to be more useful, and this is a good way to do it. There needs to be low-tech solutions to avoiding the seasons though. Otherwise, villages and towns are going to go extinct far too often.

High tech solutions would be cool, but as all high tech solutions are, they would be unrealistic to achieve as a one-hour member of society.

I do like the idea, but don't tempt our slavemaster/puppeteer Jason. It is already sad seeing cities and towns die, and this would just make it harder to live.

Still, I've been in some towns that are entirely inside a huge building (I remember being in a locked mega fortress before the rift experiment, maybe about a year ago. Four or five rooms with one being a big farm/nursery. I'm bad at judging block count, but it had to be at least 30x20)- farms and everything. It is super cool, and it would be great for a town like that to have an actual, mechanical advantage over the open-layout towns we see now. Most people view buildings as a form of grief. This could make them actually useful.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#23 2020-05-12 21:28:25

OminousBladeBlank

Also, shouldn't some seasonal effects be positive?

Why all bad?

Monsoons to bring extra water.

A fall season that increases rabbit and geese populations when they are removed via hunting.

An actual spring season where plants grow faster.

---

My point is that, if you want negative effects they NEED to be balanced with positive ones.

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#24 2020-05-12 21:38:14

Spoonwood

OmniousBladeBlank wrote:

Why all bad?

Note that two of the seasons have increased temperature.  Since people invariably live at like .1 or .2 temperature already if naked, I think the proposed idea would put them closer to .5 temperature for some of the time (clothes also no longer heat people above .5 as I recall... I'm using .5 for the center of the temperature bar).  So, I don't think that all of the seasons would be all bad in every single respect.  Then again, less water, so it might not be balanced.

That said, that the game changes to have multiple seasons like this I believe highly unlikely.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-05-12 21:38:26)

Danish Clinch.

#25 2020-05-12 21:58:42

OminousBladeBlank

Spoonwood wrote:
OmniousBladeBlank wrote:

Why all bad?

Note that two of the seasons have increased temperature.  Since people invariably live at like .1 or .2 temperature already if naked, I think the proposed idea would put them closer to .5 temperature for some of the time (clothes also no longer heat people above .5 as I recall... I'm using .5 for the center of the temperature bar).  So, I don't think that all of the seasons would be all bad in every single respect.  Then again, less water, so it might not be balanced.

That said, that the game changes to have multiple seasons like this I believe highly unlikely.

Oh yeah, this is not happening. But two seasons DECREASE temp... Plus make food growth slow... A naked's death sentence.

Board footer