One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-09 21:11:01

Gomez

Town Jobs, Professional Standards, guilds?

So I'm gonna start basic here to avoid a wall of text.  What jobs are available in a town? 

I'm gonna start a list of what I can think of  the most basic and essential jobs. Naturally we may hold many jobs over the course of a life but it's important to recognize what that job is when you're doing it and when to do it.

Honestly it's been a while since I have started a line and could use some help and opinions on priorities within some trades in early game and some of it may be up for debate so I'm open for discussion on it.

Founder / Eve - Exists, selects site for settlement or forms caravan, leads or assigns leadership, grows population, continues to exist (worth mentioning).

Tools: voice, body  (spawns players lol) and babies LMFAO!

Leader - sends and receives communication (town crier?), gives orders, oversees job assignments, settles disputes, administers justice, communicates with citizens of town and finds out what is needed where, helps personally with most critical needs, assigns new leader else one is assigned.  Among other things...
tools : pen and paper

Gatherer - collects resources for and we always need more kindling. First Basic job assignment, objections? As being Eve and leader is basically assigned to you by default.

Tools: basket, sharp stone backpack, cart, pickaxe (eventually), stanchion kit

Hunter - traps rabbits,  kills hostile creatures, harvests animals and delivers to town.
Tools : snare, bow, arrow, backpack, flint chip

Cook -cooks the first rabbit consumes and makes the first needle, founds oven, brings food to kitchen, turns raw food into cooked nutritious goods (YUM!), sets food out for service (kitchen can be busy place eat outside?)

tools : oven, round stone, sharp stone, flint chip, skewer, coal fire, fire, long straight shaft, clay bowls, clay plates, clay crock, knife, apron, cart, baskets.....Yeah a lot of stuff did i miss any?

Resources needed : raw food, kindling, adobe

Tailor - later work in progress feel free to help otherwise i get to it eventually.

Potter - yes before farming, write up later

Farmer - starts and maintains farms
Tools - hoe, bowl, bucket, skewer, shovel
Resources needed : soil, water, seeds

First crop to farm? Suggestions? Farming tech tree?

Rancher - founds a pen, starts and maintains domestic animal herds, slaughters and harvests animals, stores the resources associated in an efficient manner for others to collect and use.
tools : rope, bucket, shears, spindle, shovel, needle, cart, steel ax (for geece), tree stump (yes that's a tool lol)

BlackSmith - ehh maybe later not the best smith tbh someone else? lol    founds well

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-09 21:54:27)

#2 2020-05-09 21:12:29

Gomez

Re: Town Jobs, Professional Standards, guilds?

reserved

#3 2020-05-09 21:19:23

Crumpaloo

Only job that matters is farming, just get a horse and go find some soil and water. No need for smith to upgrade well, or shepherd to make compost. Water and soil is practically infinite in the wilderness so the need for a job to make soil or water is kinda mute.

After all, you cant really do your job if you are starving to death.

Last edited by Crumpaloo (2020-05-09 21:22:52)

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#4 2020-05-09 21:31:24

Gomez

Nonetheless you gather said soil and water.  Gatherer is listed as a job description above farming at that, and for good reason.  Which reminds me pottery comes early before farming actually and the very least you need a tailor before a farmer.  Pray tell me farmer how do you collect water before the potter or tailor?

Yes farming is important, but by your own argument a nomad need never farm in this infinite world.  A strictly nomadic line will never live as many generations as an advanced civilization due to lack of food diversity alone.

Honestly the importance or priority significance is secondary to the importance of organization and leadership (or lack of) which is mostly what I'm driving at, but part and parcel to leadership determining proper action towards generational survival.  It starts basic and gets more complex.  If something helps a farmer produce more with less work it /i would argue is just as important or more important than farming.

I agree though more importance should be placed on gathering soil and water. Point taken and appreciated.  Thusly gathering and farming is above ranching and composting in importance on this list.

edit note : Point taken, founding well removed from farmer do's and moved to blacksmith do's  (eventually) Thanks for the contribution Crumpaloo. smile

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-09 21:55:44)

#5 2020-05-09 22:06:02

Gomez

Another reason I'm doing this is sometimes I get good honest children who want to help, and ask me as their mother for a job.  Typically I'm at a loss, and lack a good answer so this is my attempt at clarification on job assignment which starts with job definitions. 

Seriously any help or inquiry on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Already I've concluded that assigning people to gather or hunt is increasingly a good option, as it gets forgotten about in advanced civilizations, which I've noticed personally in the form of unused fertile soil pits near town in high tech towns.  Also haven't seen much fishing going on in towns I've spawned at. 

How efficient is fishing these days?  TBH never fished much.

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-09 22:10:46)

#6 2020-05-09 22:19:54

pein

you can save hoes by using wild skewers, I fed so many people so far I retired from farming, if I ever plant shit I use skewers so don't use a slot

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2020-05-09 22:30:05

miskas

The leader in late-game hast to have a property exactly next to the well ( yes kill those bushes), that contains:
a box with kero/oil tanks, engine, and a horse cart with tires.

the leader must be responsible for the engine protection and keeping water production.
He must assign a person with the role to gather oil or Trade thus he must always have a horse in his possession to give it to the assigned trader.

Last edited by miskas (2020-05-09 22:41:08)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#8 2020-05-09 22:35:13

Gomez

Cool good stuff, I'll work it into the hats as I get to them.

hat  -  an office, position, or role assumed by or as if by the wearing of a special hat

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-09 22:36:24)

#9 2020-05-09 22:47:06

Legs

Primary jobs:

These jobs support primary needs and mutually support each other.

- Farmer. Produces berries, carrots and wheat.
- Shepherd. Feeds lambs, shears sheep then butchers them. Produces compost.
- Baker. Produces bread and pie. Feeds fricken everyone.
- Smith. Produces and replaces tools.

Secondary jobs:

These jobs support secondary needs and help grow the town.

- Lumberjack. Chops and hauls wood, known for clearcutting swamps.
- Miner. Mines and hauls iron ore. Greatly enjoys phat stacks.
- Nanny. Stands next to a fire and chants "bb time bb time bb time." Feeds all the town's bbs.
- Carpenter. Self-employed. Installs hardwood flooring. Builds boxes, shelves and carts.
- Hunter. Gathers furs and wild game to help feed and clothe the town. Exterminates dangerous critters.
- Chef. A more advanced baker. Focuses on non-baked staple foods and yummy treats.
- Trader. Travels to distant settlements to gather specialty goods.
- Bricklayer. Gathers and lays stone roads. Often, these roads go nowhere.

Loco Motion

#10 2020-05-09 23:05:29

QuirkySmirkyIan

One of the things that really bothers me about smithing is that the new players expect you to provide tools for them just for being in the area. There are several kinds of smithing jobs and they should not be classfied as 1 job. They include tool-smith, copper smith, glassmaker, potterer, and newcomen smith. Please stop asking for I NEED SHOVEL, just make it yourself or find the TOOL SMITH. (pro tip don't walk in the way of smiths its very annoying.)

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#11 2020-05-09 23:36:52

Gomez

Sweet Legs yeah I like the synergies you broke down basic jobs lead to advanced work and specialty trades. Yeah definitely need to work the Nanny / Den mother into the tree sooner rather than later.  I wondered how to break down cooking as well and when to do that. 

Yeah, QuirkSmirkyIan defnitely will break down smithing tree there is alot there.  Didn't even consider coppersmith a sub-trade will keep that in mind when I tackle smithing.

Work in progress seriously thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-09 23:37:13)

#12 2020-05-10 01:06:58

schmloo

Anything that is a resource or a refined product is a potential job. It’s beyond imagining because player will always attempt to go against the established tradition set by their forebears, and this eventually leads to towns ending up producing (or more accurately someone having produced) some product, but I can imagine production per-town being very beneficial. X town is both stockpiling refined quicklime and is a major paper mill (whites probably, since they’re otherwise useless in terms of the rubber and oil... uh... “trade”) while Y town stockpiles glasswort and sand. With the resource distributors that we currently have ferrying latex, sulphur and palm oil also distributing these resources, glass materials can be made readily available in both towns. This opens up several jobs for people, provided they have what they need:

Distributor: People with horse carts essentially trading without the needed consent of either town for equal gain for both towns (4 quicklime and 4 paper for 4 sand and 4 glasswort, using the above example).

Glassworker: In both towns, but each have their own glassworking areas with blowpipes, chisels, a forge, and their own supply of charcoal.

Paper mill worker: People who make the paper, fast enough to meet the demand of the distributor.

Glasswort farmer: Self-explanatory, to meet the demand of distributor.

Sand collector: Self-explanatory, to meet the demand of distributor.

What would this achieve? It would allow people to experiment with and learn glassworking with a steady supply of resources, and makes it less exclusive to MUCH more experienced players. In all honesty, anything that drags away a portion of those 10 people trying to bake at the same time is a win.

This distribution system that is KIND of already in place can probably be applied to a number of other things, like salt for cabbages, and might actually make white people viable as a kind of standard goods source.

Last edited by schmloo (2020-05-10 01:10:58)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#13 2020-05-10 02:28:04

pein

Well you can just split the jobs based on tools needed
The less overlap the more profit

since the corn got buffed and other animals it changed a lot

best case scenario everyone yums and you can provide 20-25 foods then it goes well
the worst-case scenario when the yum runs out you need a few staple foods to fill the stomachs

right now turkey is the best one, fills a lot of pips and uses no water, broth gives some more food

I don't really see enough of pig, goose, cow farming
you can feed them corn for eggs, then half to an omelette, half to more goose, it's high up on the food list
good trick if you got 2 stumps blocked by south tile, the animation cancels and you don't have to chase them
you can block with 2 yew shafts since it acts as a wall
pigs take only corn and give 4 pieces of meat, no hungry work, just a few bowls needed, also a good option to just munch on them
then there is milk, skim milk, a pouch of milk and skim, a bottle of milk and skim
then buttered bread, it's very good with wild wheat

m73un1M.png
0utSoF6.png
N53u2e5.jpg

Made this today, the plan was to make the one in the bottom but we had quite a lot of shafts

left out the edges, since you can scale for bigger
just see the gates, you need shafts for them and place them first before the vertical intersections
fences work maybe even better since you can dump boxes on them, you can flip the third gate so you will have a symmetric placement
oooxooxooxto
x000000000x
o-wall
O-open
x-gate
t-table
find a big empty space and start with 3 gates with 2 spacing
you can leave the cow pen empty until you make a table, that's kinda important for a cow pen, other stuff can have boxes with fences, but you can just put one table/box for each to share
sheep and goose near each other so you can pass trough eggs to make new goose and pass back the goose
corn near the cows, pigs, goose, berry carrot near sheep, you can use gate instead so people don't munch the sheep food

you can make this 30 tiles from the town and make a cistern near it

this gives a central area to collect all the food, most of them need to be cooked on the hot coals or flat rock so you need space, tables, kindling
all these are not made because people can't find space and too used to the old system
you get logistical problems if people carry these foods into a kitchen

the gathering is 80% of the jobs and a horse worth more than 3 persons since you get back the clothes from around the town, scout, scavenge, "trade"
some decent static jobs that can be done by a newbie with a gatherer:
-pottery: turn clay into bowls and plates, some crocks, this allows you to make more carnitas, french fries and such, a separate kiln is better, 11-12 items per person can be cooked so needs space
-board cutter: cuts all butt logs
-milkweed farmer for ropes to make boxes and carts
-floor maker: a good design always needs a lot of floors to prevent overplanting, I would like to see wider floors between farms 2-3 at least
-stew maker: you need 3 plants and a bit of time, stew is decent food and takes a bit, but the reward worth it
-tree planter: there is some worth planting mapple for shafts, a few poplar to help on kindling, also hungry work is good sometimes to yum up, and pine for firewood and boards. for browns, plant rubber and after using knife and bucket you can cut them out

baker: everybody knows how an oven works, let the newbies do it
what I do is not using oven at all, I just collect 8 wild wheat, crush it, get them plates, water, clean out the kitchen and get there the meat
some kids can assemble all that and cook pies

probably you need a separate oven for the palm kernels and rubber, people are idiots and they never gonna make it because they don't know what it is, so save yourself the trouble and don't mix it, a new oven is cheap, make it near a jungle or a few sulfur spots, not too far, put a fence for horse or a small biome to park

sheperd: jason ruined it, compost doesn't worth much, it needs 25% water, 4.5 bowls for 21 bowls of soil and you use more soil to make soil and you need water to use up that soil, there is now a thing that you can have too much compost
also it's quite low profit margin feeding sheep while people eat 4 bushes, carrots go to seed, kids shear last sheep and bakers cook  all the mutton meat without pies, seriously, compared to pork is no profit on it
also with the new rope mechanics, move the damn sheared sheep to a different pen or small biome to butcher them
refeeding them is wasteful, naked sheep needs to be killed. you should all make kitchens on side of biome to cut off a small part so sheared sheep won't be able to get out, they are biome locked

no reason to shear sheep, you can kill them, give every person a sheep skin at least, saves some warmth, when you got no naked persons, shear the skins instead of the sheeps

adobe gatherer: digging out reed stumps gets you adobe for a building or more kilns and ovens, if you don't do it, it decays in 60 min, digging out empty pits of soil, clay and empty ponds, stone and stumps (keep some for goose)

miner: needs a lot of yum and mine out the iron mine, needs some pies or stew there.

basic smith: actually you can and should separate kilns for raw iron, you can smith without a hammer, pottery and making steel or raw iron needs just fired kiln, no hammer, use a stone, keep some iron for Newcomen stuff (or rather make 3 sets of cores and extra piston and a few tanks)

paper maker, scrap bowl marker, waystone maker
you can write on maps to communicate, they are superior to paper, some paper is needed for glass making or copper or some advanced stuff
but maps can be used to chat
one particular job is to collect stone blocks, shovel chisel mallet, paper rubber ball and pencil. you go around and make maps, stand on right side of the well, makes better coordinates (x40, x40 +1) go to other town and use stone block chisel map mallet to make a waystone
then mark their town and do 2 in next town, then go home and make 2 more and 1 more to second town
mark family name and color
black brown ginger, whites not so important
if name is marker, people will see in hetuw if they died , no reason to say "dead ginger town" when someone will take it over
say "familiname ginger town", I had this "lopez browns", when they died out it still had resources but people knew it's not them
make waystone to expert waystones, especially if you see 2 of the 3 experts (you might be third) then you can make a waystone so others go there, touch the expert waystone and see where others are

totally useless tools before you die: make scrap bowls, saw on butt logs to make disks, drill half of the disks, if you use file, make some iron fillings, glass. this saves others some tools, have an excess of this stuff.

Organizer, janitor: I guess floor and road is important for them
make pine road around farms, block some space to be able to cook carnitas and stew
take out bones, remove bushes, remove unnecessary walls or fences etc.

race specific:
-fisher huts are cheap for the gingers, tthey can gett shrimp and fish and can make a room around it, especially if there is oil, you can help other races out by putting a big snowball on the ice hole and a snow/pine road to it so they can use it. walls prevent ice-holes moving out of the room.
good activity while people make oil there.

-rubber plantation: as a brown you can plant rubber trees in jungle, close to your or others city, if you are less than 30 then you can water second time before 60. you can only use a tree once so you can cut it, you can force out mosquitoes by dumping fences and block them with bell bases or something or just choose a small jungle with no mosquito
you can dump a lot of palm kernels outside the jungle with a single bowl, others can use it and saves them time, it regenerates every hour and won't decay
bucket maker: you will need 8 extra buckets as brown so it goes faster

-glassworth plantation. you can plant glassworth for glass, deserts are far and gets harder to collect enough, we did a lot of glasses in Kilian town.
You can move palm oil or 4 sulfur per glass, or other stuff, so it's kinda nice, needs a few rubber stoppers to put full glasses on horse carts.

To be fair, most important is to have a good leader with zoom, organize stuff and let him do the main buildings, like oven and kilns and marking a kitchen, roads, then collect things in groups, this can be like 3x3 then a tool near it, some space, other drop zone

I feel like feeding pig is the fastest way to feed the population
some goose and some eggs, cook it all.
If you consider yourself a veteran than stop planting berries, dig them out, make a lot of space using floors.
collect items together and tell newbies to cook it.
Don't stack shit that needs to be processed, make space so one item can be on one tile so it can be swapped around and processed.
It's annoying, don't stack flat rocks near the kilns, make new kiln for pottery, don't stack or steal the bowls and plates from the kiln, keep it on one tile and fill them. Don't stack branches, keep them grouped and an axe near it, tell a newbie that you collect there, and he cuts it.
Don't stack butt logs, put them on separate tiles and tell 1-2 newbies how to cut with a froe and mallet.
Don't make pies, get wild wheat, rope sheep and get it near the oven, kill it, tell them how to put together the pies.
Don't let sheared sheep and pigs in pens, rope them, move them, kill them, get kindling and tell them to cook it.
Make a big empty space with a lot of tables and collect all food types for yum. Berry is not the centre of the town, a big floored space should be the centre.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2020-05-10 03:41:05

Gomez

Good stuff pein, I was gonna ask about layouts, I forget about the bottle yum hustle good points.  Animal meta has definitely changed.

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-10 03:41:32)

#15 2020-05-11 15:16:42

tocal

I think there are at least 4 cooks for late game towns:

baker: Stays in the kitchen and cooks at the oven. Makes sure a variety of pies are made, not just mutton. Ensures the turkey is cooked last, not first on a fresh oven. Organizes cooked food on shelves. Tries to make a feast plate but someone eats one slice of pumpkin pie ruining everything every time.

stew cook: this person farms, prepares, and cooks stew. Full time job. Make as much stew as possible. Also does turkey bones.

hot coals/flat rock cook: basically makes the mesa kitchen foods.

#16 2020-05-11 15:28:23

voy178

Most jobs require apprentices for a continued stream of dedicated workers. If only we could get the new players to listen.

Board footer