One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-09 01:11:52

Spoonwood

Game Was Never Built Such That It Would Have Longstanding Appeal

There exist some features of games that have longstanding appeal.  One of them consists in that the game encourages variant playstyles.  Games that have longstanding appeal even encourage the player to make up their own variants for the game.

For example, one such game is the original Master of Orion.  The game would be boring if you could only play as the Humans (there exist 10 different races each with their distinct disadvantages AND advantages).

Another feature of games that have longstanding appeal consists in that players can choose their starting conditions or can quickly enough change what's needed in the game.  The original super mario brothers in comparison to pac-man makes for an example here, because though players can't choose their starting condition, unlike Pac-man, players can skip levels in super mario brothers.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-05-09 02:27:15

pein

Re: Game Was Never Built Such That It Would Have Longstanding Appeal

Jason once said in an interview that he tries to make a random situation generator cause that's the thing now, every new kid digs that shit.

now he went slice and dice on the content.

I liked Tropico weather conditions and catastrophes, it was random somewhat but somewhat a punishment for your choices. surviving mars did a tech tree with "breakthroughs" basically some super powerful super-specific researches that are randomly available in some games but not others, in combination with the basic research tree, they created very specific scenarios, where some basic actions rise to god-tier level strategy just by having that research in that particular game.

age of empires 2 has like 37 races? each with its own version of items, each with one unique thing.

I'm not a fan of modding myself he game rules, in sense of doing nerfs n myself, t can be fun once maybe. I like dynamically changing rules cause patterns drive me crazy and adapting real time is fun and requires skill.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2020-05-09 04:02:22

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

Jason once said in an interview that he tries to make a random situation generator cause that's the thing now, every new kid digs that shit.

I think it was 'infinite unique situation generator' in his talk.  However, the game is most definitely not in that category.

Danish Clinch.

#4 2020-05-09 04:10:08

Coconut Fruit

Yet, you are still here.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2020-05-09 05:42:24

Laskara

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Yet, you are still here.

Cool yeah let me explain why I'm still here, a lot of people will have similar reasons.

I'm essentially alpha testing the only game that's supposed to focus on social bonds and helping your family, which at least initially was not another shoot'em up stab 'em all infinite killing simulator. When I can actually play that game, the one about family and social bonds, where we strive together for a better life, I have really good experiences with other players, even though I don't know them. That is the unique aspect of the game that I like. The pace of the game means I only pay attention to the stuff happening in the game for an entire hour, making it a very good distraction from intense adverse life situations. I am guaranteed not to think about them at all for an entire hour, while making nice things for my little family so they can thrive and survive and make nicer things. It's slightly more appealing than ACNH, and minecraft, because the grind is a little different every time, adjusted to what people need. Do I perform repetitive tasks sometimes? Yes, but it's always a different set and I have to figure out which one. This problem solving aspect makes it a better distraction. I cannot go on autopilot. Usually, fellow players will reward me by roleplaying actually being family, talking to eachother about what's needed for the town and generally behave cooperatively and solve things together. Even when there is some level of griefing, as long as the players can do something about it, I tend to have good experiences thwarting them with my little family during my very short life. To put it into shorter words, there is indeed a special aspect to this game that other games don't have for some people. It's a very special game.

This is also why I, like others, go APESHIT when an adjustment is made that makes that part of the game not happen anymore. That is why I LOSE MY GODDAMN MIND when there are griefers and we can't do anything about them. This is why last summer when I was using this to distract myself from medication side effects, I totally lost my cool, joined a protest griefer team and then ragequit when my option to outrun griefers and start over somewhere new, which was prettymuch the only answer to the constant warsword onslaught, was taken away with the hideously unpopular rift "experiment". Unless all of them just happened to choose new monikers for some reason which seems comedically unlikely, I'll point out that I've stopped seeing most of those names- most of the people who were as fed up as me left and didn't come back. This nice thing can and has been ruined for some of the people who like that very unique thing the game was supposed to be, as advertised in the trailer.

#6 2020-05-09 07:17:00

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Yet, you are still here.

Commenting here isn't playing the game.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2020-05-09 09:37:57

Jamie

Spoonwood wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

Yet, you are still here.

Nice lie

You are invested enough to write about it frequently.

#8 2020-05-09 13:57:46

Spoonwood

Jamie wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

Yet, you are still here.

Nice lie

You are invested enough to write about it frequently.

It does hold that commenting here is not playing the game, so the above is not a lie.

No, I'm not invested in the game.  Again, I don't think it's all that great.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer