One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-08 04:01:53

pein

Tried fences again, fail

I had several live returning to the same place, making a fence

I had good experiences with some fortress designs in the early rift.
People used them, not scavenged them since they looked nice and compact.

Overall I was having trouble getting back, getting access to gate or just other things were more important, it was too much work, too much transport.

People stole floors and boxes when it got decaying, and it was a lot of trouble fixing them every life or even remaking it.

Problems:
-there are no renewable resources, the only thing that made fortresses valuable, was a well 40 tiles away so I had water and I could make cistern, move o produce soil
-too much fixing, won't last, making lasting walls around it is quite hard, especially with the animal pens
-nothing to do inside it, most work is gathering
-people will kill you for it, I was afk a few minutes, an idiot yells at me that I "locked away tools". Basically I made them several lives ago, and even if they had plenty of iron they were lazy to make their own tools, I even helped previous lives with charcoal and resources, so they could have just make tools for themselves instead of complaining on "locked tools". Even if I gave them back they kill me cause "reeee afk".
-hard to get back, hard to make decent setups in a single life
-would need to be made from the start, you can't fence up things cause farms and floors are in the way, kinda bad that they aren't between tiles

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2020-05-09 09:57:57

Jamie

Re: Tried fences again, fail

I feel like the Rift needs to return.

Maybe a couple bigger public cities around the edges, Private outposts inwards. Should be a little bigger to give us a bit more breathing room, I remember all the randoms outside trying to kill me.

Last edited by Jamie (2020-05-09 10:02:14)

#3 2020-05-09 10:22:49

Blue tinker

Jamie wrote:

I feel like the Rift needs to return.

Maybe a couple bigger public cities around the edges, Private outposts inwards. Should be a little bigger to give us a bit more breathing room, I remember all the randoms outside trying to kill me.

The rift has become some sort of taboo recently. It definitely was an interesting experiment but also a total chaos in its later phases.

In the rift I liked the fact that you knew where all the cities were (or if you didn't then simply walking by the rift would lead you to one eventually). Also it was so amazing to see people building amazing monuments all around the bordered map. I remember that during one of the longest arcs in the middle of the map there was a pretty place with four bell towers that always had free clothes in chests. It was a place where anyone could come and would be treated equally.
This treatment later being, unfortunately, kill or be killed. The main flaw of the rift was that it was during the war sword period. Eve hunters were everywhere, griefers were simply exploring the wild areas in search for travellers or people from other families. It was terrible.

So I too think that the rift should be revisited in the future. I'm afraid though that many, many players hated it not because of the new griefing options it introduced but just because of the concept itself. For now with the newest update some factions may be created, it may replace the rift... hopefully in a better way.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#4 2020-05-09 11:38:42

voy178

If we're gonna bring the rift back we need replenishable sources of wild flora and animals, water, and iron. Being unable to do anything creative due to lack of resources is just meh, there would be no trade anyways only conquest and chaos.

#5 2020-05-09 11:58:31

Arcurus

voy178 wrote:

If we're gonna bring the rift back we need replenishable sources of wild flora and animals, water, and iron. Being unable to do anything creative due to lack of resources is just meh, there would be no trade anyways only conquest and chaos.

sounds interesting to have some kind of limited area. maybe some natural barrier like mountains, rivers and oceans could be used to limit the area.

Also it could be possible to make a quite fertile middle and then reduce the amount of natural resources the more far you get out.

This "rift" could then be introduced slowly, so that Jason has time to react in case of mass starving.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-09 11:59:15)

#6 2020-05-09 13:43:33

Spoonwood

Blue tinker wrote:

The rift has become some sort of taboo recently. It definitely was an interesting experiment but also a total chaos in its later phases.

Uh... the earlier phases with locked in buildings, and no fire (all the junipers had gotten cut) inside of the black hole were better?

Blue tinker wrote:

The main flaw of the rift was that it was during the war sword period.

No doubt that didn't help.  But, there were a lot of other issues.  The viable player population at a time was most definitely limited by The Rift, and the game couldn't grow.  In fact, all the game could do was shrink in player population.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2020-05-09 13:57:16

Jojigirl

No bringing back the rift talk! It was horrible!  wink

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-05-09 13:58:16)

#8 2020-05-09 14:26:52

pein

i mean jasons changes to iron make scavenging towns legit, afterwards, i don't see a point to keep dead towns around, it could reset. maybe no oil spot no iron and no water inside a homeland could trigger a reset

these towns with nothing in them are a noob trap and hold no value

when the engines were a permanent upgrade on wells, some towns were worth reviving but right now its a lot of hassle for nothing in return, you still won't get any more iron or water without engine or kerosene and if it died out, probably even the floors and walls won't worth the hassle to reviving it, not to mention boards or clay pottery stolen

i see some wells not correctly tapped out, the gingers the other day were different from before, and they had the homeland edge right outside the
door on the left

but returning to the original topic: fences won't work unless we got renewable resources to defend, also claiming them could be harder and processing them profitable

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer