One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-28 01:55:40

Crumpaloo

Separation of Kitchens and Food Storage?

Seems alot like Kitchens are the busiest place in towns which simultaneously make them the hardest places to work. People constantly running in and out grabbing pies you just made or in some cases raising their CHILDREN inside can hamper how fast and easy it would normally be to make food.

As such wouldn't it make sense to create a external storage of said food rather then keeping it inside the kitchen for players to flock to? Not even suggesting it has to be another building, but rather some storage boxes on the side of the kitchen itself. That way the people that need food can get it faster and the people cooking can do so unimpeded.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#2 2020-04-28 03:01:41

pein

Re: Separation of Kitchens and Food Storage?

told this million days ago, no one does it. like there is no reason planting berries in blocks. never was, no actual reason for it, you got enough space. especially with pine, you can have tons of flooring to prevent it so I wish to see single rows or columns of berry or like 2x2 setups with 2 rows of free tiles in between, and not in the middle, near the sheep pen, the area around the well should just be flooring. then put a homemaker and cut it, place again.

this space could be filled with tables or boxes, where each type of food is there with a bit of spacing, or even in 2x2 groups.
the main food should be popcorn, so the main fire would need tons of bowls nearby. it's possible that veterans would need to dry the corn before people eat it raw, so fence it up and place in a box once it's dry. And prepare a lot of it so people got some to eat at any time.  Popcorn got buffed, I did make an argument on it, and luckily it became above berry food, and even with the nerfs on values, it can't go down, so it's the only food which keeps the value after several generations. Sure first the berries are 5 and 35 is better, but then that goes away quick, same as the shallow well. So no reason for the middle well setup between bushes. Popcorn starts at 24 and stays at 24, early on even the raw corn is 6 so 4 of them is 24, so no bad trade for having it, the only issue is the hoe which can be replaced with skewers.

Now when the berries go down to 3 pips, popcorn is already better, then berries at 1 are more than 3 times worse than popcorn. 6-7 pips for water is a crime when you can get 17 for rabbit pie. The other raw foods are same shit as berries but having multiple shitty foods makes up in yum values.
If anyone eats multiple berries, it's a sign that he/she is a newbie and even a veteran would not be able to produce enough berries to feed himself now. You lose 1 pip every 12,5 seconds, a bush provides 7 in 8 minutes, so you would need 5 each minute, under 8 min that's 40 pips which is almost 8 bushes, at highest pace where you pick them down, water and soil it and restart the growth.

There is also no reason to bring other foods to the kitchen, that is for pies. Pork needs space, hot coals, bowls. most other foods need space so taking inside a room slows the process.

Since the best foods are now required corn, makes sense that corn is the main staple food. You can feed goose to get an egg (wild is better but distances rise fast), 2 for the omelette, 1 for the goose (2 bites) and one sheep food, one egg into poop, one for pork, one for the cow.  I would say it's only worth making a fire if you cook like 20+ items since even with a 30-sec timer on smithy I'm able to make 11 pottery alone, hot coals even extends by cooking on it.

Berries only got the advantage of storing the food and not using iron, but if it's bad values, late-stage, that won't matter, water wasted is like iron wasted.  Buttered bread is another decent food that keeps it's value over time but since yum is better, half of it gets buttered and half not. That also needs only space and plates.

I think that for ease of recognization, would be best to arrange each food in a row or circle and group them by type, and show kids to go around and pick one of each.
wdhgPNi.png
If you have a 3 wide road, then you can stick an adobe wall with a box on the middle of it and can be reached from 3 sides, while inside rooms is harder to access. Tables are cheaper, they store less but they still can store some food that won't go into a box.

I wouldn't even have the berries there, just a photo to show that by removing the edges of 3x3 you can have an extra road and a wall of storage on middle. Kinda like a marketplace or shopping district.

And since bears are a threat, and the old way of escaping them is gone, lot of times I tell people to go into the pen. Not many people know it but animals not only kept inside the pen structure but can't get inside either, there is no design that allows them to go in but not out (I guess the 5 row berry bush walls were able to be passed through by lambs but not the sheep). So if you can't stand on items, would be time to make pen-type entrances to some places to keep out the animals.

jH1eAKU.jpg
2 other designs that keep out animals, lot of storage and could be remembered by the people. Yes, the crocks can function as corner elements to it. If you want something more griefer or accident proof then put some waystones explaining how to use it, like
-show baby where the diner is
-tell them to make a home marker here
-eat one of each type of food, not many of one type
-bring different foods here so others can enjoy it
-during animal attacks get inside here until someone kills them
-keep it clean, only bowls, plates and food inside, no corpses or tools or raw resources.

g5Y80TT.png
I guess it's a lot of boards, but you could start small, dig out some bushes, floor it down, put some tables one side then go around it etc.
or just make it somewhere else.

Pine planting would help on projects like this, you could just stack pine needles (seems they don't decay that way) and make boards from it, sue for firewood, or even some other trees to help you build up yum.

You could also make 1-2 sides of fences, and the rest of it fence box or table. Even keep one single cow inside.

Also we could make doors animal proof by placing 2 cisterns (fences would auto orient to diagonal) 2 fences and a rose bush or one grape/loom in front of it, and rails on middle.
yJ93LgI.png
Would work with 2-1 but the rails look weird solo.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer