One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-22 18:06:04

antking:]#

Sugar station Tips and Tricks

First thing is how do you make sugar, well that's quite easy to make
Step one prep:

Find a sugar cane plant (you'll need to be a coffee person for this) + use any of the cutting tools (Knife, flint chip, sharp stone)= sugar can bundle

Now bring your bundle(s) to your a central area, divide all of them up into single stalks, and take an iron axe to dice them into Sugarcane chunks (don't worry about breaking the axe I'll get to why)

You'll need a fire for it's coals

once you have your sugar cane, you'll need bowls, this will be dependent on how much sugar your planning to make, as a rule of thumb, always bring a amount of bowl = to the amount of sugar stalks + one bowl for water

Also you'll need a bucket, for water & a flat rock

Step Two making:

put all your chunks into bowls (except for the water bowl) and crush all of them with your rock+ add water to all the crushed chunks

once the fire turns into coals (1 minute) and start putting your soaking sugar pulp into the hot coals remember to remove the bowl once the sugar cane pulp is done cooking, this will be indicated with a noise change and a small visual change, you have no fear of your coals running out as long as you keep switching the bowls that you're cooking

Now using that water bowl (make sure its empty) you'll need to split your cooked sugar pulp, this will result in a bowl of bagasse and of cane juice, you can drop the contents of the bagasse bowl to free up create a free bowl, so you can split more of your sugar cane pulp.

at the end of this you'll be left with a lot of bagasse on the ground & a lot of Cane juice = to the mount of sugar chunks you used

now you will want to keep some of your cane juice so that it will be turned into vinegar, the rest you will convert into sugar

If your hot coals are still available as they should be then you just plop you can juice onto those coals, and then remove the bowl of sugar once you hear the audio que or see the visual cue, and once you take of your bowl you will have your bowl of sugar.

--------------------------------------
now for a few side notes
- if you are worried about the iron use of making sugar, which is a proper concern, you have nothing to fear as Bagasse is equal to kindling, and you can use it to turn hot coals into fire and fire into large fast fire (can't be used for smith and bakery) but if you think about it its's more efficient to use an axe on sugarcane because it will result into sugar and fuel.

- use the bagasse to turn hot coals into fire, so you don't use the kindling that is needed for the forge or bakery, also this will allow you too keep your sugar fire, and allow any one else to use your hot coals

- sugar is really water heavy so make sure not to turn all of your village's water into sugar (unless you're a resource town)

- sugar & vinegar in all can only make three foods- pumpkin pie (but this is need for the feast table), ketchup, and ice cream (which is a multigenerational project) and one really important resource- black dye for its age reversing properties

- you can store a sugar bundle in a cart/horse cart, and you don't need to be a coffee person to make sugar, only just to harvest it, so you can distribute sugar bundles form the wild to different race villages

-that's all

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#2 2020-04-22 19:00:23

pein

Re: Sugar station Tips and Tricks

salt and paper can be made after the sugar on hot coals

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2020-04-22 19:05:49

DestinyCall

Excellent guide, antking.

Regarding flavors - coffee (black), chocolate (brown), vanilla (white), ginger (ginger).    So you need to be a delicious chocolate-flavored jungle person to harvest sugar cane.

#4 2020-04-22 19:12:15

Tipy

DestinyCall wrote:

Excellent guide, antking.

Regarding flavors - coffee (black), chocolate (brown), vanilla (white), ginger (ginger).    So you need to be a delicious chocolate-flavored jungle person to harvest sugar cane.

Hahaha I remember coming with tasty race names when race restrictions were added, I think I went dark chocolate (black), brownie (brown), vanilla (white), ginger (ginger)

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#5 2020-04-22 19:27:56

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

People being afraid to say black and brown makes no sense to me. Saying someone is black isn't an insult, you being afraid to makes it seem like you think it's insulting.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#6 2020-04-22 19:29:13

DestinyCall

I just find the race groupings in this game really dumb.   Flavors are better.

#7 2020-04-22 19:35:52

Melea

antking:]# wrote:

if you are worried about the iron use of making sugar, which is a proper concern, you have nothing to fear as Bagasse is equal to kindling

I wish it really was equal to kindling.

Kindling can turn lit tinder into a fire, hot coals into fire, fire into fast fire, and can fuel both the bakery oven and kiln (turning to charcoal if covered).

Bagasse can only do hot coals into fire and fire into fast fire.

Not a ton of use there - being able to use it on lit tinder and in the oven would be quite handy.

Edit: you can also use a firebrand on kindling to start a new fire. You can't use a firebrand on bagesse. Annoyingly limited item.

Last edited by Melea (2020-04-22 19:38:51)

#8 2020-04-22 20:01:49

DestinyCall

It would be nice if bagasse turned fire to slow fire instead of fast fire.    You never really need fast fire, so it has a very narrow range of uses and mostly just fills up valuable bowls, if you do not burn it all up after making it.

#9 2020-04-22 20:07:11

antking:]#

I see bagasse as a way to maintain a hot coal fires and a way to save the main fire, and saving kindling for making new fires, and powering the kiln, and the oven

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#10 2020-04-22 20:50:21

Coconut Fruit

I see bagasse as a trash that would just waste space as long as people are keeping the fire going. Just get rid of it.
Don't mind using axe for making sugar tho, let's not get paranoid.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Board footer