One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-20 07:06:14

Blue tinker

The good bits of recent updates

The forum appears to be overflowing with animosity or even hate directed towards the creator of the game. While I dislike some things that were changed in recent updates, there are some great additions that don't get nearly enough recognition. In this thread we could discuss things that we actually like and not whine about things the majority doesn't like (like family specialties in their current form as it seems to be the most hated topic).

I appreciate the stacks, especially stacks of things used for building (pines, cobblestone).

The fact that standing on an item no longer keeps you safe from animals is a fantastic change in my opinion. It makes hunting dangerous, as it should be, therefore gives pads a purpose (as getting stabbed or shot by another player is now a rarity). It is also more intuitive. I know that griefers sending bears to towns have become more dangerous but if your lineage dies because of that one bear it means that you have not been prepared and failed in survival. Only the strongest and best prepared will survive.

I like some aspects of the food nerfs. It makes survival in the earliest stages of civilization harder (again - as it should be, realistically speaking). (Also, was there somewhere along the way an update where brand new players lose life slower? It can't be found on the tech tree.) Speaking of food, the new yum chain is perfect in my opinion. The progressive decrease of food efficiency is something I will have to experience across many lifes but along with the new yum chain it encourages advanced civilizations to invent new kinds of food and not eat the same pies since the stone age.

I still love this game and appreciate the work that Jason puts into it, even if some changes may require tweaks and changes (sometimes serious changes). What else do you like about the recent updates?

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#2 2020-04-20 08:06:59

JackTreehorn

Re: The good bits of recent updates

I agree! It was a good timing to have the food nerf, now that yum bonuses don't break. I like the challenge it has added.
The towns are close enough now that its possible to travel to another town and do some good work before you die.
I like how iron has value now and tools are valuable.
I also like how every task I do in town has been of value, the food I made got eaten immediately the iron I collected has been protected and used for valuable tools.
When I make water I'm not stashing in cisterns for people ten generations ahead, the water will get used by my family or my children.
I also like how the homeland update added in making wells nearby. It's great for supplying a town with water.

Overall i think the recent updates have been positive and good step towards a challenging and rewarding game.

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2020-04-20 08:14:21)

Eve Audette

#3 2020-04-20 08:21:21

miskas

Everything you mention + /fam, property doorbell, Orders with arrow markers to find people, special biomes waystones, Yum is now the most efficient and mandatory for survival

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-20 10:16:44)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#4 2020-04-20 08:52:58

Toxic
Banned

You don’t understand your new to this game my friend the creator isn’t the most likeable person out there, neither am I so I won’t complain.

#5 2020-04-20 09:33:28

arkajalka

I actually like the new yum system. This game has been too easy for some time to a point where i am like "well everything is done what im gonna do now".

With the new system you actually give huge value to the society that you live in by doing special foods, like tortillas, pork tacos, fish, mangoes,kraut and feast table. Before those things were super rare cause its not needed. You just spam mutton pies and do whatever.

I dont get why people cry about this so hard. Well they probably the people who dont do a shit for the town and just munch pies and berryes at towncenter doing nothing for the town cant deal with this new way of living and just die out.

This new update just withers out the weak.

GIT GOOD

Last edited by arkajalka (2020-04-20 09:35:32)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#6 2020-04-20 11:16:35

pein

I like some changes but he is still trying to build upon bad changes.
You can't just forget the introduction of stupid things like races, slots and no skill duel, memescore, fences. He cut the content into 3 parts instead of adding more, he refuses to introduce new status bars, cosmetical changes.

And the dead content that he calls an upgrade like cars or planes.

Also the whole "everything is running out" with the new homelands is just plain stupid replacement of the rift, you are not limited by space but some invisible borders and ruins outposts, you are forced to live with a family even if they are wasting resources, you would need resources to move out, you don't have knowledge if the Eve fucked it up or not or where your family came from, so stealing resources became a valid strategy and you have to do it if you want to separate yourself from others who refuse to work together. It's bad cause players work and time valued for 0 and lifes are cheap, workforce is not needed, more people just consume resources faster, don't provide anything over fewer people.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2020-04-20 12:05:24

JonySky
Website

Blue tinker wrote:

The forum appears to be overflowing with animosity or even hate directed towards the creator of the game. While I dislike some things that were changed in recent updates, there are some great additions that don't get nearly enough recognition. In this thread we could discuss things that we actually like and not whine about things the majority doesn't like (like family specialties in their current form as it seems to be the most hated topic).

I'm not complaining about the food nerf, it should have been done a long time ago
It bothers me that the easiest and most comfortable way has been used to nerf the food
The developer has not thought of other ideas (HERE EXPOSED IN MULTITUDE OF OCCASIONS) such as plague, weather changes, seasons, that would provide a cooler survival mechanic
change some values in a table, it is the type of updates that we have been having for a long time (rift, skill boxes, etc ...) and it seems to me a little worked and sloppy update
this forum is full of great ideas, but none have been realized
Currently I have no faith in this game, nor in this developer for this type of bad work

#8 2020-04-20 12:32:40

voy178

I like a good stack and the recent content addition to the game has been great, but I would like it more if building and accessorising weren't so punishing given the resource and race restrictions.

#9 2020-04-20 13:33:28

Blue tinker

Toxic wrote:

You don’t understand your new to this game my friend the creator isn’t the most likeable person out there, neither am I so I won’t complain.

I am new to this forum, not the game. I have been playing since the update that added more emotions (before property fences).

JonySky wrote:

The developer has not thought of other ideas (HERE EXPOSED IN MULTITUDE OF OCCASIONS) such as plague, weather changes, seasons, that would provide a cooler survival mechanic

I like the plague idea, it would be interesting to see people panic and protect their towns with property fences and fight for resources and... hmm. It would be the war sword massacre all over again. War swords have been an interesting addition because it introduced conflict between towns and politics, which hadn't ever really been a thing. Unfortunately not all cool ideas are good ideas (hey, even the rift was interesting on paper).

The recent updates have been mostly fixes and changes to already existing mechanics. When they get tweaked to the point of being mostly accepted by the community (or not, the creator doesn't always listen to the players, as seen during the rift period) we will start getting actual updates adding more stuff. For now I enjoy the fixes. We could build robots and stuff but we still couldn't stack sharp rocks on top of one another. Little things like this have been gathering for months or even more and I'm happy that they get fixed.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#10 2020-04-20 14:09:14

Spoonwood

Blue tinker wrote:

Only the strongest and best prepared will survive.

You end up with a screen informing you of your death.  None of the characters you played survived.  Lineages also die out necessarily.

At the very least "will survive" as used by yourself and other survivalists isn't clear at all as to what it means.

arkajalka wrote:

This new update just withers out the weak.

The game is marketed to anyone in the general public, not just those with an inferiority complex wanting to feel stronger than other people.  And wanting to feel stronger than other people is just comparative anyways.  It's not an emotion compatabile with broad sense of teamwork, since it tends to teams just throwing out the weakest player, or even the average.

"Withers out the weak" also amounts to saying to plenty of people that they shouldn't play.

And arkajalka, you sure you're good?  Your last character is dead.  So are all the others that you played.  NONE OF THEM SURVIVED.  Any lineages that you played in last week are gone.  NO LINEAGES SURVIVED.  The same goes for any towns.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2020-04-20 14:24:35

Dantox

Oh, there has been good changes sure, some which i have been asking for motnhs ("STORAGE UPDATE")

However, those changes are getting overwhelmed with the amount of changes that are altering the game for the worse.

Having more items to stack is nice, but see what we lost in the process.

make bread, no war

Board footer