One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-14 19:51:36

Coconut Fruit

Jason, unbreakable yum chain?

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/592
I think it was a pretty good idea. Reconsider it, Jason, please.
It could actually make the game more interesting for newbies.
This game is interesting for people who know how to play it, they stay and play it for months and even years. Most newbies quit it very fast. Making the game more interesting for newbies wouldn't be a bad idea, maybe that's the key that would make the game population actually grow over time.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-04-14 19:53:43)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2020-04-15 13:26:54

Coconut Fruit

Re: Jason, unbreakable yum chain?

2020-04-15_14_56_37.png
2020-04-15_14_57_24.png
2020-04-15_14_56_23.png

Dammit, unbreakable yum chain could improve their experience for sure, while not really affecting expert yummers, they would eat only yum things anyway.

I'm also tired of the amount of newbies we have and that there is no way to stop them from berry munching. With unbreakable yum chain they could realize it by themselves that it's not a good thing to just berrymunch. Eating variety of food would be not only fun for them but also rewarding.

And also this would make sense. Why would a few meh foods make you "unhealthy" if you are also constantly eating so big food variety?

I feel like this change would improve this game a lot. Please Jason, consider this.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#3 2020-04-15 14:09:09

DestinyCall

An unbreakable yum chain would definitely improve the feel of yum eating.   

I like the concept of yum and it looks good on paper, but I find the current implementation very finicky and just plain annoying to deal with, life after life.    If I play two or three lives in a row, I have a very hard time remembering whether or not I've eaten a carrot this life or last life.   And since we have such limited inventory space, I have to be careful to pack unique "bites" of food before I travel away from the village center.    And I have to keep an eye on my food bar more than normal, since if I wait until the hunger bell rings to secure my next yum food, I'm going to have a hard time finding one I haven't eaten yet.   Ideally, I like to have my next bite stowed away in my backpack so it is easy to reach when I need it.   But there's only so many foods that will actually fit in a pack.   Spending time backing specialty foods or gathering the ingredients to make specialty foods is a pain.    And I end up wasting a lot of valuable time debating when to eat which foods to sustain my chain for maximum effect.   I love the feeling you get when you have a high yum chain and you can power through difficult tasks with easy, even as an elder, but I hate the nit-picky micromanagement to make sure I have exactly X number of foods available at the right moment to keep the chain going.   Instead of feeling exciting to rush passed three rows of berries and five stacks of pies to shove a raw carrot into my mouth at the very last moment before I starve to death in a village filled with perfectly decent food, it is just plain annoying and stressful. 

If the yum chain was unbreakable, you would get a passive bonus for eating a diverse diet without the need to totally freak out if you forgot to pack a snack and need to eat another bite of mutton pie on your way home from the iron mine.   I think that is very reasonable and would make yum WAY more accessible to non-yummers.

One thing I would add is that there should be a yum bonus cap.   X10 or X15 would be a reasonable amount of max yum bonus.     At that point, each additional unique food could just give the flat bonus, instead of continuing to scale up exponentially.    If there is no cap, it would be too easy for an experienced yummer in an advanced town to hit absurdly high yum values by doing hungry work and eating small-bite foods to load up the multiplier.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-04-15 14:09:45)

#4 2020-04-15 17:06:32

pein

Just a simple training regiment of 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats and a 10 km run every single day, no airconditioning and a banana in the morning.

That will make you powerful with some side effects like hair loss.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2020-04-15 17:20:54

DestinyCall

But will I be able to defeat my enemies with a single punch?

#6 2020-04-15 18:47:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It's a tough one.

I am a little worried that yum becomes OP.  Like if you can manage to eat 20 unique foods in your life, each new unique food you find is automatically +20.

Would definitely encourage exploring more of the foods in the tech tree.

However, I worry that if it's too OP, it will have the opposite effect.  If players are so over-YUMED that they don't need to eat much toward the end of their life, they aren't "exploring" any foods at all.

Furthermore, I don't have a good lever to pull to adjust the power of YUM, right?  How do I tweak it down if it's too strong.

I mean, I guess I could apply a hidden scaling factor, but that makes it confusing.

#7 2020-04-15 18:50:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'll try unbreakable chains this week, but leave it as a live server setting that I can turn off as-needed.

#8 2020-04-15 19:10:56

Coconut Fruit

Great!

jasonrohrer wrote:

I am a little worried that yum becomes OP.

Yeah, I'm also worried it may be OP.

Maybe a top cap could help if it actually turns out to be OP.
Let's say 15 yum would be the cap (or whatever you put, maybe a live setting? So you could decrease it as needed), then every next yum food would give you 15 pips (or whatever the cap is). This way people still will want to have as much food variety as possible, especially when doing hungry works.

Would be nice to also nerf milk together with this change. People lately drink more and more milk and it's definitely way too op, especially after this change people would take milk with them to do every hungry work.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#9 2020-04-15 19:51:55

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, a cap is a good way to limit it.  Will do.

Then you still want to eat more YUM foods to get the bonus, but the bonus stops growing.

#10 2020-04-16 01:25:59

pein

yeah finally! big_smile

a top cap puts the focus on the variety, not personal longest chain

as a maximalist, I always want to do the max but so bad feeling that I can't reach it in life so I rather don't even do it
I do small yum from the available food

we got 54 foods, 12 locked by race-specific ingredients, 3 early game foods, 5 foods with little to no value (wine, grapes, peppers, ice cream, mushroom), half potato is removed

I guess 15 is fine, even 10, since that's a full hungry work and a half bar extra

would be interesting to have random yum foods for the next 60 minutes
so you would have to make them within an hour and they would give you yum, or double yum
maybe family-specific yum food (something higher nutrition)

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2020-04-16 05:55:07

olooopo

jasonrohrer wrote:

It's a tough one.

I am a little worried that yum becomes OP.  Like if you can manage to eat 20 unique foods in your life, each new unique food you find is automatically +20.

Would definitely encourage exploring more of the foods in the tech tree.

However, I worry that if it's too OP, it will have the opposite effect.  If players are so over-YUMED that they don't need to eat much toward the end of their life, they aren't "exploring" any foods at all.

Furthermore, I don't have a good lever to pull to adjust the power of YUM, right?  How do I tweak it down if it's too strong.

I mean, I guess I could apply a hidden scaling factor, but that makes it confusing.

Could you, by any chance, deactivate yum for raw foods (like berries, carrots)? Such that only processed or exotic(bananas, cactus fruit) food is valuable and people have to put in effort for yumming?

#12 2020-04-16 12:46:10

ahead

Completely unrelated to everything, what if

Yuck instead of yum
Instead of encouragin varied eating, maybe discouraging overconsumption of the same food is the solution.
Y'know, you eat one berry, it's alright, but you stuff your face with them their food value goes down with each one bit by bit untill you can't eat them at all.
Percentage based so it'd impact mutton pies the same as berries.
Actually scratch all that, it would mess with new players, bad idea, and i'm not a game designer.

Sorry, nothing

#13 2020-04-16 14:20:37

pein

ahead wrote:
Completely unrelated to everything, what if

Yuck instead of yum
Instead of encouragin varied eating, maybe discouraging overconsumption of the same food is the solution.
Y'know, you eat one berry, it's alright, but you stuff your face with them their food value goes down with each one bit by bit untill you can't eat them at all.
Percentage based so it'd impact mutton pies the same as berries.
Actually scratch all that, it would mess with new players, bad idea, and i'm not a game designer.

it's already punishing, even more, food value lost would be harsh, also the ones who don't care won't care, they would eat berries for 1 pip and would die if they don't know what else to eat

it would be funny if they would get a purple face and green ears from it

Board footer