One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-14 17:59:04

Coconut Fruit

Engines from wells are being stolen and they probably always will be.

When I played yesterday(food changes were already live), things were going great in towns. So much food variety, people were working great, we had and were producing lots of food. I managed to make an engine in the brown fam. When I logged a few hours later, I was born into the brown family again. We had no engine and no food at all, everyone was starving. Probably people lost their motivation after the engine was stolen, I'm not sure.

The thing is, people don't like to use property fences to hide/protect things. I kinda doubt they will ever do it. Our game experience will be bad because we will just lose our engines over and over again, because Jason doesn't understand that we refuse to use property fences. I could understand protecting stuff from other families, just like it was in the rift, but protecting them from griefers? Some smart griefers would get them anyway I think.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-04-14 19:12:44)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2020-04-14 18:26:27

Morti

Re: Engines from wells are being stolen and they probably always will be.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

everyone was starving on my eyes.

Can't unsee it.

(Image of people eating eyes here)

Last edited by jord1990 (2020-04-16 18:04:37)

#3 2020-04-14 19:14:05

Coconut Fruit

Fk, sorry for my bad english big_smile
Corrected it, please remove this disgusting image.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-04-14 19:14:37)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#4 2020-04-14 19:34:32

Coconut Fruit

I just played a life, someone made an engine in black family's town, there are still many uses of newcomen pump, so I decided actually making a property fence to protect the engine from being stolen. I made a 1x1 property just to put the engine there. There was a kid that removed it. I made it again and told him to not touch it, told him that I want to protect the engine. He cursed me and started removing it again. I cursed him back, got a knife and killed him (people joined me because they agreed that we need the property to protect the engine), this guy got another curse or two. It wasn't actually me who got him stabbed. A girl came from farming just to curse the killer and went back to farming. There were also 2 people who said "curse you" in a place with about 8 people standing close to each other, so probably 2 random people got cursed too.
So much drama about one property, lmao big_smile

Engine is hidden in the property rn.

Btw, I will actually make property around diesel pump next time I see it. Just a 1x1 property with the well inside. I'm worried I will get cursed, but I will risk it, will see if it's worth it.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#5 2020-04-15 20:13:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You never really needed property protections before.  Nothing was valuable, so you had nothing to protect.  Anything stolen could be easily replaced by making a new one from a pool of infinite resources.

It's not like you "refused" to use it.  Why would you waste time using something that was useless?

Do you refuse to breed Airedale puppies?

Players who lived naked along desert boundaries weren't refusing to wear clothes.  There was no reason for it.

Anyone still holding out and not wearing clothes now?

Players who ate nothing but carrots (when they were infinite) weren't refusing other foods back then.  There was just no point to other foods.

Up until last week, there hasn't been much of a point to other foods beyond berries.  Milk was OP, but why bother?  The amount of food you got per unit water from berries was sufficient.

But players adapt over time as things change.

#6 2020-04-15 20:29:47

fug

These changes are based off the idea that the in game systems determined you need to do X instead of Y and were enforced by the game.

It's also not players recycling these engines because it's needed but people doing it to be annoying. It's 
the same issue that solo killing had. By allowing one person to wipe out a family from inside is just completely off base. It makes "sense" to grief or steal from other families but mechanics solely used to grief your own family doesnt make sense.

If the game was following inspiration from other mechanics the diesel engine would have a chance to break and then be scrapped and remade. The current idea is just bad and another warsword attempt to push fences.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#7 2020-04-15 21:07:18

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Players who lived naked along desert boundaries weren't refusing to wear clothes.  There was no reason for it.

No, there did exist reasons for clothes before.  If someone went out to the grasslands, badlands, swamps, or prariries they would be cold and there did exist a reason for clothes.  The issue was that no one could reliably take off clothes on the desert edge and have them by the time when they decided to leave town. 

jasonrohrer wrote:

Anyone still holding out and not wearing clothes now?

I'm not playing, so the answer is yes.  The month after the temperature overhaul also had a large percentage decrease of players.  There are plenty of people NOT wearing clothes in game now also.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Up until last week, there hasn't been much of a point to other foods beyond berries.

No, there have existed dozens of comments and a few threads indicating otherwise.

jasonrohrer wrote:

But players adapt over time as things change.

Plenty of players just leave.  That isn't adapting, it's just doing something better with their time.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2020-04-15 21:14:22

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

These changes are based off the idea that the in game systems determined you need to do X instead of Y and were enforced by the game.

This is a stupid idea to begin with and always has been one.  The game doesn't determine that any player do anything.  It can constrain possible paths in order for some things to occur.  But, that's it.  And it doesn't even constrain things consistently, because what those constrains mean differ depending on player population and what they do.

fug wrote:

It's also not players recycling these engines because it's needed but people doing it to be annoying. ... warsword

Those players aren't trying to build civilization or parent by scrapping engines. 

And that reveals why fences make for a bad idea to begin with.  They necessarily rely on someone else trying to not parent or build civilization.  So, people only end up using them, because someone else isn't trying to play constructively.  Thus, fences don't improve the game at all and never did, because they were not about making constructive play consistent with the core concepts more appealing or better for players.  They dovetail with a game designer who doesn't care to make a game consistent with it's advertisement.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2020-04-15 21:26:02

Legs

I've actually seen a lot more players using property fences now. Not in a good way, just as people-traps. Snatch up a newborn, chuck them inside and close the gate. Or leave it open and close it behind anyone dumb enough to enter. It's easy for them to kill 5, 6, 7 people in a lifetime. Killing them is the only way to stop this, but nobody cares or knows how. You stand there making murder mouth to draw a crowd and explain, he's trapping people! Look at the bodies in there! Look at the gate, he owns it! Meanwhile he's just standing there listening to the sad piano at 55 while you try to explain this convoluted posse mechanic. The magic words you must say to permit violence, the sacred offering you must hold to please the gods of war, because empty handed combat is forbidden, even swing a gooseberry at your enemy is better.

All you do is confuse a bunch of idiots and get cursed by a murderer. Time for another month in donkey town. Makes perfect sense right? Everything is working as intended in this game.

Loco Motion

#10 2020-04-15 23:28:47

Léonard

fug wrote:

The current idea is just bad and another warsword attempt to push fences.

Yup. I immediatly pointed this out when he came up with this bullshit.

fug wrote:

If the game was following inspiration from other mechanics the diesel engine would have a chance to break and then be scrapped and remade.

If only you knew how bad things really are...

It's way worse than that in this aspect.
Want to know what's also similar in terms of mechanics?
Just search "grief" in the #live-dev-changes channel.
Let's see, where has this issue popped up before..

Normal fences, berry bushes and adobe walls.

So, let's get this straight.
f5KyJw2.png

So, yeah..
Let's be honest here for a minute.
You know perfectly well that if you made the engine scraping consistent with these previously established mechanics and made it harder to be done, no one would bother to fence them off.
In other words, you know perfectly well it's only griefers who are gonna scrap it.
In other words, you want us to protect the engines from griefers...

I don't know what to say..
You seem to live in some imaginary world where griefers don't disgust or make normal players want to put off your game.
I don't know your designer friend who told you one day that "griefers are a part of the games" or that "griefers is a needed job".
But I can tell you he's wrong.
You need to get this idea out of your head, Jason.
He was wrong.
Griefers literally subvert anything you make.
They are here to piss real people off. Not people in the game. Real people.
They're here to piss them off. No matter what. No matter the mechanics you come up with.

I mean it's literally written white on black in this very thread at this point:

Coconut Fruit wrote:

but protecting them from griefers? Some smart griefers would get them anyway I think.

I almost want to log into the game for the first time in a whole year just to prove you wrong.
I'll just act nice and normal to other people until they hand me over the fence ownership..
And then you better believe that engine is gonna get scraped!
Poof! Gone! Zoop!

Oh butb but but wait I put my... I protected my property!! I put it in fences!
But it didn"'t work???? NO way!!

Last edited by Léonard (2020-04-15 23:34:36)

#11 2020-04-15 23:55:05

Gogo
Banned

Y'all will be pushed until fences will change to absolutely needed for survival. For that, all kind of wells should be destroyed by griefers, not only engine, plus ponds should be nerfed.

#12 2020-04-16 00:40:16

DestinyCall

Gogo wrote:

Y'all will be pushed until fences will change to absolutely needed for survival. For that, all kind of wells should be destroyed by griefers, not only engine, plus ponds should be nerfed.

Can we have edible fences?   They would be essential to survival AND easy to remove if they get in our way.

Everyone wins!

#13 2020-04-16 00:57:07

Cantface

We're all getting nerfed out of existence at this point for real barely anyone is playing anymore ohol feels like a ghost town half the time even when almost everyone is at home and most WANT to play games. What the actual heckin fuck is going on?

Breasticles

#14 2020-04-16 00:57:31

pein

DestinyCall wrote:
Gogo wrote:

Can we have edible fences?   They would be essential to survival AND easy to remove if they get in our way.

Everyone wins!

damn, my exact thoughts xD

if they aren't upgradeable then they kinda useless

I could only see fences worth something when:
1. you need to buy the territory (for example 4x4 tiles, not too close to the centre)
2. you can own items and partial items you make
3. they can be upgraded to permanent
4. some items that can be made indoors
5. a marketplace

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer