One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-14 14:13:58

Ilka

Why do we have so many children?

Shouldn't the number of children be limited, especially for Eve?
Meanwhile:
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6113438
33 children?
WTF?
In addition, there is no family  prohibition because I was reborn as a granddaughter's child right after my death.
Something is not working again?
In a situation where we do not have food, such fertility is a nail in the casket.

Last edited by Ilka (2020-04-14 14:15:04)

#2 2020-04-14 14:28:08

testo

Re: Why do we have so many children?

This has been proven true on the sid side from me and fug, we have been born to the same mom while doing mass sid. Something is broken, you don´t get locked out of a mom for siding to her and you don´t get locked out of her linage nor close zone either. If you mass spam repeteadly chances are you will start jumping beetween two famiies over and over repeating moms. You can be born to A and still see your corpe if you sid to be reborn to her relative.

Given that the number of camps alive at each time is so low (4 or 5) the number of max lives per hour is incredibly high (24 +1 each 10 minutes).
If the curse system blocks a player of the camp he wants in he gets 10 to 12 tries for free before giving up.

In my opinion the number of lives should be 6 max with +1 each 10 minutes, with a hard lock on each rejected mom for the next 10 minutes, and a soft lock out of a rejected lineage (set the lineage at the bottom of the searchlist for that player). That would make siding more meaningful because it is unlikely a player using sid to reject a mom or town is going to be helpful to them anyways.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#3 2020-04-14 15:54:50

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The question is not how many babies total she had, but how many babies at one time.

The game is not going to ever spawn more Eves just because you keep dying as babies.  If it did that, you could decide to be Eve whenever you wanted by spamming death.

There will be a new Eve spawned if there is a true baby overload (too many total babies for the number of total moms).

#4 2020-04-14 17:15:57

Ilka

Are you kidding?
In 14 years this Eve (my mother) gave birth to 33 children.
Is that not too much?
There was no waiting period, she gave birth to three children in 15 seconds.
Almost all these children wanted to live.
A group of 5-7 children running after their mother - it was depressing.

Instead of admitting you broke it, you tell stupid things.

Testo, the reason for this was not SID but the inability to feed these children.
And you're right, I was born to this mother and used the command because I saw that she has too many children. 
I was born to another Eve who couldn't feed me, so I used the command.
I returned to my first mother.

#5 2020-04-14 17:31:41

Coconut Fruit

While yesterday morning (eu time) every family was doing great, had big variety of foods and people actually worked, today when I checked a couple hours ago it was a complete disaster.
Every fam was starving and lacking iron. Many people got mad I guess and decided to grief.
I was born in one town that had 6 bears in. https://i.imgur.com/cG7jy7Y.jpg

I don't blame food changes at all for what what was happening. I blame biome restrictions and that we can remove engines from wells (if it gets stolen, people lose motivation and town dies quickly). I partially blame also iron changes. It's annoying that families can't move on to a new/better place without an engine and kerosene with them. And it's just stupid that some families start with actually no iron veins at all.

People were dying a lot and that's why you had so many kids.

I don't know if things are better now, probably some fresh towns are doing good.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#6 2020-04-14 17:53:18

Ilka

When there are too many players, new Eves should appear.
And yes, bear lovers go crazy.

#7 2020-04-14 17:58:13

Morti

Ilka wrote:

And yes, bear lovers go crazy.

VJtNeCe.gif

#8 2020-04-14 18:28:56

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

The question is not how many babies total she had, but how many babies at one time.

No, that's a question.  It's been put forth before, I specifically remember DestinyCall suggesting a specific number, think it was six, that a mother should have a limited number of children.  It's a longstanding and recurring problem that veterans have found it prudent to not feed all children.  It doesn't lead to satisfied players, because there's not enough reason to play a game when you can't do anything.

jasonrohrer wrote:

The game is not going to ever spawn more Eves just because you keep dying as babies.  If it did that, you could decide to be Eve whenever you wanted by spamming death.

There's no problem in your conclusion.  Just a conditional statement.  Players having the choice to become an Eve would be in their interest.  That you haven't understood that before is your problem Jason and one of your longstanding problems with appreciating some players' preferences.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2020-04-14 18:51:12

tobiasisahawk

I was an Eve yesterday and it was crazy trying to keep up with all of the babies.  By the time I found a non-dry well site I already had ~22 dead children and was almost infertile.  What about after an Eve has surpassed some threshold, like 3 babies born overriding cooldown, the next baby would be born as a 14 year old girl.  That would take some of the pressure off of the Eve being the only fertile female of her race.  The issue also comes up for the last fertile female of a family.  Maybe if there are <3 fertile females a baby has a 50% chance of being born as a 14 year old girl.

#10 2020-04-14 19:17:47

DestinyCall

There just needs to be a hard cap on how many babies one mother needs to birth.   

If you have already had ten dead babies, that is enough.

#11 2020-04-14 19:25:17

Morti

At least, 69, should be the hard cap.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p … t_children
Giggity.

#12 2020-04-14 19:29:10

Morti

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feodor_Vassilyev wrote:

Feodor Vassilyev (Russian: Фёдор Васильев, older spelling: Ѳеодоръ Васильевъ) (c. 1707[1] – 1782) was a peasant from Shuya, Russia. His first wife is claimed to have lived to be 76 and, between 1725 and 1765, have had 69 children (16 pairs of twins, 7 sets of triplets and 4 sets of quadruplets); 67 of them survived infancy with the loss of one set of twins: the record for most children born to a single woman. However their name, date of birth, and date of death are all unknown.

Vassilyev also had 18 children with his second wife, who had 6 pairs of twins and 2 sets of triplets, making him a father of 87 children in total. Of his 87 children, at least 82 are said to have survived infancy.[2][3]

The data about Vassilyev's children are included in the Guinness Book of World Records.[3]

For real, this dude was

BUSY!

#13 2020-04-14 19:32:37

fug

/Die should just go down a list

A Race > /die > B Race > /die > C Race > /die > D Race > /die > A Race

This at least cuts down normally people sidding instead of the sort of mess we have right now. If you're locked out of a race/family then you would quickly realize because you'd be going from A to C then D which means someone has you cursed in the B family.

No one wants someone constantly using /die on them, and no one wants to be constantly spamming baby bones on someone expecting kids. I personally feel like life tokens are just a failed idea because as soon as people realized they could abuse them we returned to the state of people returning to their families anyways.

So once you use the /die command the game should bring up a screen that shows a surname and you just click it then boom. No more needing to annoy people with mass sids or these false start lives where people get stuck picking up the same players bones repeatedly.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#14 2020-04-14 19:34:46

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

Jason wants this game to be solo play.  obviously

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#15 2020-04-14 19:48:09

DestinyCall

Playing on a low pop server does solve all these problems.

#16 2020-04-14 20:04:37

Morti

fug wrote:

I personally feel like life tokens are just a failed idea

39cjrB1.png

#17 2020-04-15 19:45:36

testo

fug wrote:

/Die should just go down a list

A Race > /die > B Race > /die > C Race > /die > D Race > /die > A Race

This at least cuts down normally people sidding instead of the sort of mess we have right now. If you're locked out of a race/family then you would quickly realize because you'd be going from A to C then D which means someone has you cursed in the B family.

No one wants someone constantly using /die on them, and no one wants to be constantly spamming baby bones on someone expecting kids. I personally feel like life tokens are just a failed idea because as soon as people realized they could abuse them we returned to the state of people returning to their families anyways.

So once you use the /die command the game should bring up a screen that shows a surname and you just click it then boom. No more needing to annoy people with mass sids or these false start lives where people get stuck picking up the same players bones repeatedly.

I disagree on this idea. The /die should go:

A Race > /die > B Race > /die > C Race > /die > D Race > /die > DONKEY TOWN with a hard lock for the next 10 minutes.

You get a chance to play on any family you want as long as you are not currently locked out for being a cursed.

Jason reply is nonsense, people don´t mass /die to eve Jason, people mass /die to go into a specific race and they are not bright enough to realize someone has them locked out because of the cursing mechanic. Since we have 24 tokens (a ridiculous number tbh) you get like 12/20 tries for free.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#18 2020-04-19 05:14:39

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

There just needs to be a hard cap on how many babies one mother needs to birth.   

If you have already had ten dead babies, that is enough.

I thought about this. Let's suppose that a mother has a hard cap of 6 children.  So the Eve has 6 children.  But, then those children can all have the same number and thus family size can grow exponentially.  Something happening which thus causes a player spike within families like the original Steam release could in prinicple happen all over again, even with a hard cap on the number of children per mother.  So, the hard cap idea though it would make such better, still can lead to a situation where the mother has good reason to just not feed children.

Too many players leading to new Eves is another fairly good idea, I admit.  But even that leads us to wonder 'what is too many players?' and this can't get determined, because there's no reliable way to calculate what too many is outside of the game, and even if there were it would be another computational drain on the game.

What holds things back here and has held things back for a long time is the lack of player choice whether or not to have the possibility of having children.  If players had some way to control having the possibility of a child for their second, and later children, then "too many" children wouldn't be a thing, or would only be a player selected thing since they had the responsibility to make or not make that choice.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#19 2020-04-19 17:05:15

pein

A hard cap should be on family ignoring males (still should be equal males to female ratio after the first 3 girls) and ignoring old women.

For example 15 players per family. So around 7-8 females, old people would be replaced.
Whites are useless so it should rotate only the first 3 skin tones until they full, then if we got more people on the server then allow whites.

The best thing would be to have technological gates to have more population, Eve could only have 5 people in the family at a time, if one dies she can have another kid. And if one goes old or it's a male then ignore it.
People would need to upgrade to have more population, that would send kids to more advanced camps or the small families could advance in a small number.
It could also be a requirement to make contact with others to have more players in the family.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2020-04-19 17:31:31

Ilka

There was a good system of dividing children between families.
Each family was to have six (?) fertile and potentially fertile women.
In the event of death, another girl was born.
Why was this abandoned?
I didn't even know it until I saw this babyarmageddon No. 2.

#21 2020-04-19 20:38:22

DestinyCall

It was a minimum of three fertile women. 

As far as I know, that code is still in play, but it does not influence your chance of having a baby or limit how many kids you can birth.   It just determines the gender of the baby, ensuring that you always give birth to girls when your fertile female population is low.    Originally, gender distribution was an even 50/50 split.   But this left families vulnerable to "death by RNG" syndrome, where you had no living girls before the last woman lost fertility.   If your female population was low and you only had boys, you could easily end up dying out despite doing everything right.

Board footer