One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-13 18:33:04

pein

Too many berry bushes, bad seed system

It's way too eay to make a new bush and it stays there forever

The only advantage of berries is that it won't use tilling so you save your tools
That can be exploited by using one bush multiple times
So harvesting it, watering it, soiling it, repeat.

When there is too many, that only advantage will not be used. Some bushes will be reused, some not at all, digging out cost you the initial soil and water investment, the seed, the shovel use.
Especially annoying when they plant a new one before harvesting all available bushes and fixing them.

People never understood that having more bushes is not better at all, the effectiveness stays the same. The argument is that "we need more food"
It's actually not more food, just more work.

And since we got countless nerfs to the water, and to compost, and to food values, it burns trough resources way too quick.

You can't even move out to make a new outpost and you can never escape from bush planters, new players need a few minutes to decide what to do, and it's inevitable to make a few bushes. It's only needed for feeding the sheep later on but it's just a habit that people do.

People don't really notice the changes, so if something changes, we would require more visual feedback. It's a 33% nerf to berries, only cause it was an odd number, would have been 50% like the rest of the foods yet we got the same number of bushes, sometimes even more cause people can't keep up with planting them, harvesting it and to have time to get away from a camp for a few minutes to make clothes or better foods.

And the issue is that new players try to do something and it's not useful.

Now I'm not talking about nerfing and buffing, we would need some change to the seed system so prevention is easier.

Right now you can plant infinite bushes or at least 7 per a bush.
We got other systems for other plants, people didn't like the 1:! ratio on squash, so it should be more than that, but maybe leave it up to chance.
But also squash is consumed while berry bush stays.

Possible fixes:
-Bushes regenerate a few berries. But that's kind of bad anyway.

-Bushes die out after a few uses. That would make cleaning up easier by harvesting them until they die out than planting in an optimal position.

-Each wild bush would give a seed after you collect all the berries on it, cutting berries wouldn't give seed. This would limit domestic bushes to the number of wild bushes (but you could water them for more seeds and 8 minutes). This would require exploration and effort so maybe people would do that or stay home and harvest properly, fix that few bushes they got.

-You would need to dig out wild bushes and replant at home. This would give 1:1 ratio on bushes.

-Chance based seeds: each wild bush would have a chance to give a seed with 5% chance but it would die out after that. Each domestic bush could give 1 seed at 1% chance whenever you pick a berry.

Most berries grow from roots and not seeds, you can't really plant too much of them, maybe strawberries, but the modern fields buy the young roots from elsewhere and they only last around 3 seasons.

What do you think? should bushes regrow?  Which solution would be better? any other ideas?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2020-04-13 19:23:49

Crumpaloo

Re: Too many berry bushes, bad seed system

I think the core problem is the speed at which bushes are resoiled and rewatered. Which all comes down to farm layout, that starts in eve camps, where food is first, and layout is second. Big berry patches with no open space that are slow to put berries in bowls, slow to resoil, and slow to water. All this bogging of the farm cycle leads to berry shortages and players coming to the conclusion that "oh, we have all these bushes and yet were still low on berries, must not be enough."

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#3 2020-04-13 22:08:49

Legs

Hmph... do you really think the berrymunchers can be defeated with just this much?

Prepare yourself, for my final attack. Ouuuu! Despair as you drown in a sea of purple!! Ten Thousand Years of Gooseberry!!!

Loco Motion

#4 2020-04-13 22:13:45

Legs

Ten thousand years. Ten thousand! Almost one full week real-time. Look back at the long-standing cities throughout ohol history. How many have lasted that long? At least a few, for sure. I wonder, how many berries were eaten there. I wonder, how many bushes were planted and how many players they fed. I wonder, how many times they were treated preciously with soil and water. What do you think is the first food that most people eat in this game? The very first thing they ever munched after installing? I wonder, wouldn't it have to be the humble gooseberry?

Who are you to challenge its might?

Loco Motion

#5 2020-04-13 23:19:31

antking:]#

the problem is the players, the thing is noobs are spoon fed that berries are good,
It's the first food they eat
It's the first thing they are taught to farm
It's the thing that will save them when their running around the village with one pip
and It's what most simple tasks start with: (Rabbits, Sheep, and Compost)
because of those things, noobs become attached to berries, they are familiar, (this is very much helped by the berry hell villages become)

And as older players put away the game and move on, the noobs take the banner, and repeat what they saw their old leaders do, plant berries, and they will lead the next gen of noobs down the same path over, over and over again, until the entire world is filled with dying bushes

I have spent lives, just digging up bushes, and explaining why I am doing it to players who ask, and I usually get to responses:
A. wow thanks for telling me that (these people occasionally will help in the removal of the bushes)
&
B. GREIFER!!! why are you doing this!! Your KILLING the village!!! We NEED berries (these people proceed to take my tools away)

I stand on the premise that it no amount of nerfs will change, the berry meta  due to how hard wired it is into the brains of the people
Now I am not apposed to berry nerfs but I do believe that the main way to stop berries is by spreading the anti berry propaganda in order to change how players play OHOL, however if we did get a nerf it would be the best time to flaunt this message.

and I don't know how about for the nerf, berries will require more soil and water over time, for less and less food

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#6 2020-04-14 00:34:04

pein

the food value is okay just it should be way harder to plant more and more
if you would have to go out and bring one bush home or it would die out on it's own after like 3 charges like Newcomen then we would have less of them

propaganda won't work, never worked

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2020-04-14 00:42:05

antking:]#

pein wrote:

propaganda won't work, never worked

The best type of propaganda is the type that you don't realize is propaganda wink

but really I was just saying that we need to educate people about how bad berries are, as most just copy what they see

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#8 2020-04-14 02:12:24

pein

the only other problem is: then what

when we started the game, we did the same for a while, eating, fixing bushes, exploring bit by bit

but at least we had unlimited water so bushes weren't a problem (when it was buffed to 8 min from 60) so it was a low-level activity that helped the town
since then we got way more focus on resources and optimizing them, but we got barely anything on a low level that is a useful activity
people want to be useful, and I want to be grateful, not just faking it that I'm proud of my kids

you drop a kid in the bushes and then dies in 3 minutes cause nobody cares about them, now they even starve before they know what to do

#9 2020-04-14 03:17:10

testo

I think you are all wrong. The problem is the hard communication system between players. It is a general consensus for every player that has been in the game for more than two months that berries and carrots are part of the bottom of the food scale for the players. And yet we fail to communicate that simple fact to a new player in a full lifetime.

I have started a new trend for my new players as mom. I dress them but I refuse to teach them any craft at all. Nothing. Instead I take them to the farm and tell them everyone the same speech: "Listen I can´t teach you right now, the game is complicated. You can take your time to learn everything on your own. BUT you can´t eat berries and carrot from the farm. I don´t care if you stay still in the fire for all life or if you make mistakes or anything. You can do whatever you want, as long as you eat good food. Berry and carrot are bad food because they are sheep food. This (picking a bowl for a stew or broth) is good food. This we eat. -Then to the kitchen. Same speech. Again. And show them pies.- Good luck and have fun."

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#10 2020-04-14 03:22:36

MrGold

Convert to Corn berry munchers

Im Mr.Gold I /hmph

#11 2020-04-14 05:44:55

Ahrianna Yancey

That's the point of the game.

Will civilization learn together to advance and use the right things for food?

Gold is right, go to corn. Milk those cows

#12 2020-04-14 14:22:05

Ilka

Pein, please stop it.
Jason loves such changes and will give us something of a kind - each gooseberry seed should be soaked in a bowl for 10 minutes.

#13 2020-04-14 17:42:33

Morti

Stop wasting soil on berries.
Take backpack with four water pouches, four bowls, in a basic cart, out to four wild bushes. Take all berries and water each bush, take your bowls of berries home, add your carrots and do what you like with them, then refill your pouches and go out and repeat. By the time you finish doing that to another 4 bushes, the old ones are growing back and you can repeat with them.
Is it that hard for you to make water pouches?
We made hundreds of them a day back 2 years ago.
Long before people were even in the habit of making balls of thread from sheeps wool.
We made them with milkweed strings.
Make pouches, water wild bushes, be thankful for what nature provides, with the littlest care.

#14 2020-04-14 17:46:03

Ilka

In nature, no one needs to water wild bushes ...

#15 2020-04-14 17:51:44

Morti

Ilka wrote:

In nature, no one needs to water wild bushes ...

This isn't nature. We're in a simulated drought.
Global currents may or may not change, but for now, we need to help where we can.
Take advantage, of every advantage, we can get.

Board footer