pein

Dumbest plan ever :D

2iNY3uP.jpg

l29wHlz.jpg

Here is a blueprint for my next cow pen big_smile

What do you think?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2020-04-07 03:11:27

Coconut Fruit

Re: Dumbest plan ever :D

This takes lot's of space and iron, why not having 4 cows standing next to each other?
Also it looks weird, but why not tongue

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#3 2020-04-07 05:17:59

pein

The first has 3 blades blank requirement, the plus shape so you use up all 18, not 17. But you can stick something else in the middle.
The second has a 5 blade requirement.

If you put next to each other, the diagonals that need to be blocked are near each other, so that means it needs a full enclosure.
This has an open setup, you can even put 2 not 4 and they hop around inside of it.

The tracks are nice cause they can't be removed alone and you cover 6 tiles with one blade.

Tracks don't have diagonal joins, so the other open setup looks kinda weird with them also non-functional as a minecart line. (I missed this but is it possible to make Perpetuum mobile?)
I'm thinking 4 cows cause you can feed them with one corn and you can have 4 buckets. 6 is kinda confusing and 6 buckets are a lot. Generally, people take it to farms and then you need a cart to bring it back.

Ofc you could do with a normal boring pen, but that's the point. If you have cows, then make a shrine and make it nice, and paint walls.  Since you are able to and looks unique. So the cost is secondary.

If you want it cheaper then you can use way stones, they can walk through it and read it, sry for the sprite I used the bell base.
Ofc fences or tables can block them as well. But adobe walls spaced out can have boxes for storage, it can hold corn, buckets, clothes, etc.

Lba6SzT.jpg
Few designs here:
-6 feels crowded but either 2 or 6 if you block from inside, blocking from outside looks bad and boring
-4 needs more walls or more way stones
-you can do it with round tracks but then you use only 4 out of 6

You can write papers for way stone like:
-prepare empty buckets
-get dry corn in a bowl
-cut corn inside the bowl with flint
-wait until calf dies and disappears
-use bucket on the cow
-take out a bowl of milk
-milk leaves cream if you don't
-skim milk is worse

Or you write "made by me"

As you see corners aren't needed, but you can put extra way stones there for decoration or instructions.
Uses the same amount of walls anyway but fewer items. But you can plant berries (I don't want to cause never gets watered) or potato (leaves the soil so they won't move) or if you do in the desert then glassworth.

If you put rails, then you can split them in 2-2 and put a mine cart on it for fun and storage.

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2020-04-07 05:42:52

Gogo
Banned

Stop him.

#5 2020-04-07 20:55:43

Jojigirl

lol I love your creativity and passion for designing different pens! That being said, with the new iron restriction, I am not a fan of the pens with the tracks. That iron could be used better elsewhere and if made in town, it will probably dismantled for the iron.

(you can dismantle track kits right?)

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-04-07 20:56:06)

#6 2020-04-08 00:12:42

Gogo
Banned

How we can disable tracks now?

#7 2020-04-08 03:53:24

pein

two adze and two people to remove, then you need to put them together and then adze again
too much work and tool use, you better don't do it, a bit of iron wasted is not the end of the world

mine carts can be used for storage and transport on a short distance, I guess they don't worth it either, maybe if you dismantle a door then you can get the spring, once the engine is gone and most of the metal items, the cistern contents and it's far from oil, it wot be saved anyway.
I  don't know why would you use a minecart, maybe a pen could use to transport food in and bones out, even meat transport isn't the best. Also, it's quite slow and people push it back before you unload it, so if it's too long then it's even worse.

But I guess newbies haven't seen many and can give a bit of a unique feeling to the town.

If you scavenge the springs, then has no metal cost, and saves a rope for a static mine cart, rather than a moveable decaying one. If you put a start and end in 1-2 tiles then it can be like a box. Using one single blade blank for 6 entrances is still okay I think. The way I did it in my outpost the other day looked good and still better than rotten bushes every hour.
On that one a mine cart would have been useful for like skins or sheep food. I just want to make one that moves all around forever big_smile

Board footer