One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-02 04:50:57

pein

We got "updates" then we go silent

The forum is overwhelmed, a lot of players play the game for 2-3 days, then nothing.
People complain, lot of scandals, hate on the update, Jason enjoys that, at least people come out. I mean I don't agree with every buff idea, but nerfs don't solve the current situation. Does it make harder for the veterans? A tiny bit, but we just see more bones around. It's more annoying to get anything done than before. I jumped into 3-4 games lately, honestly, I don't feel too motivated. I redesigned the city once, started a cow pen, got surprised on the grapes mechanics what I already knew but kinda forgot. Tried to make the more efficient foods, rather than just pies. I guess it mattered a bit but overall nothing changed.

What keeps you all motivated? I liked rushing tech and making long lines when it actually mattered a bit.
Now I feel like I don't want to spend time with tech I can't finish on my own. So just hang around preparing shit tons of resources and let newbies finish it.

Trade and wars didn't happen, we even went backwards. No capitalism, no ownership of items, buildings don't matter much, no real purpose for them, the mechanics of animals are quite simple still. I can't set up shop and make people work for money or unlock content with currency.
Theft is even more common than before cause we don't have ways to do special items and even if people understand what we say if they can't do it on their own, hard to explain why and how to do things for us.

War didn't happen, mainly cause we don't have sides, mainly cause we are reborn on different sides, so we would end up against our own families,  there is no skill-based duels, no dodging, no targeting, only one-sided battles with mob mentality against some griefers, I even don't really participate, just throw a knife to a kid to do the dirty work. No team battles, sieges or territory control, no AI attacks, no tower defence.

The iron change doesn't change much, yet another nerf to iron, it even makes it simpler to get it but now towns steal it from others and it's still kinda the same, the random mining would make sense, at least we would have some different results and an industrial zone, not sure if it would happen.

Player skill went up a bit and we got a lot of good smiths, bakers, builders, we don't even have enough jobs to do, you either go for the oil grind which is out of your hand so not that satisfying, quite repetitive or you just hang around the town without a goal.

We really need more complex systems, more goals. At least upgrades should be more, small gradual upgrades so not only 4-5 players get a chance to do anything for the city. We need some competition and chaos.

What keeps you motivated?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2020-04-02 05:06:01

DestinyCall

Re: We got "updates" then we go silent

Most of the stuff that motivated me is locked out due to race restrictions, tool slots, language barrier, homelands, and other random BS, so ... hmmm ... organizing messy towns.   That hasn't been nerfed yet.   

I can still de-clutter towns.

#3 2020-04-02 06:16:26

Dodge

Tbh there's a bunch of issues that motivates me to NOT play, every life is pretty similar, lack of challenge in each life, you dont really have to make decisions just the usual basic ones and you're fine (make tools if no tools, make water if no water etc), having big villages/civilizations is not really an achivement it's pretty common and happens usually in less than a day, dont really need to have complex interactions, not talking is actually a better strat most of the time, civilizations rise fast and die fast too but even if they stay longer big villages are boring currently etc.

Solving these issues to then have more interesting lives is what keeps me motivated.

Like for example having a time gate on iron production, the iron mine could even give infinite iron as long as you can only take as much per hour, like 1 stack per hour for example, this would atleast fix the issue of actually making decisions that matter regarding what you do with iron, make two newcommen instead of tools and your generation is going to have a hard time to survive (wrong decision), make tools + some newcommen parts and your lineage will make it to the next generation etc.

But these decisions would be different each time depending on the situation, so each generations action count, if one generation fucks up it will have real consequences for the next one and maybe you get born in that generation after the one that fucked up and you're faced with a real challenge.

Having big civilizations would be much more of an achievement since it would mean that every generation before you made the right decisions or at least were able to get back on their feet when situations got tough, right now if you see a big village it's mostly because a few players rushed the techtree while the other ones fed on berries and pies and stood there doing nothing.

If it actually matters what the next generation does then it would also motivate communication like telling your kids what they could/should do and not leave them clueless.

Since if they dont know what to do there would be a much higher risk that the lineage doesn't make it to the next generation.

Right now you can make so much in advance that the next 5-10 generations will be fine doing almost nothing and taking no decisions whatsoever, it's pretty broken.

You dont feel motivated to talk to your kids since they could do wathever or even die and it doesn't matter the lineage will still make it.

Last edited by Dodge (2020-04-02 06:32:54)

#4 2020-04-02 07:22:51

Whatever

dodge pls stop writing here on the forums,
you dont give any valuable feedback, you are just an echo of jasons delusional thoughts

#5 2020-04-02 08:03:27

Dodge

Whatever wrote:

you dont give any valuable feedback, you are just an echo of jasons delusional thoughts

jasons "delusional thoughts" made this game, cant make an omelette without breaking eggs but you never take risks so you wouldn't know that, stay in your little comfort zone, better for you.

#6 2020-04-02 08:55:21

fug

Whatever wrote:

Just ignore him as he's going to cherry pick or ignore anything well thought out.

In regards to the thread I specifically only really like to play early game because that's the time you can shape the village. Thankfully the time of those damn designer villages should be over which I feel bad for them but it's hard to grow attached to a place/family when you've done nothing for them.

Monday I was the pseudo eve for the Sun family because my mother was too dumb to make her own family site so I wandered off and made one myself. I stuck around for a few hours after the initial run and was able to get the lineage stable foodwise and even managed to get the nursery and bakery finished a few lives later. This feels good because when you put in work and watch things grow you get a sense of the awesomeness.

The key is just don't play when you think an update is bad. No reason  to sit around not enjoying yourself, there's plenty of other stuff to do.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#7 2020-04-02 10:45:44

cachinnus

Unfortunately, a lot of my favorite motivations are silly. I like cooking different foods just to make as much variety as possible. Burritos and tacos are very fun for me, I don't know why. I don't make them anymore, because they use too much water. I also like making paper, there are similarities. I also don't do that anymore, because it uses water. I like making clothes, which I stopped doing a while ago. I like building and seeing what happens to that building. I like breeding dogs, but I don't do that anymore. I like hunting rabbits, but my enjoyment comes from using wild resources and providing something to the village.

I decided to just try playing as efficiently as possible, which I also enjoy as its own minigame, but it's hard to enjoy in a multiplayer setting. I know someone was joking when they said the best thing you can do for your village is not log in, but I mean.. true. I used to enjoy starting off Eve camp basics for someone else to stumble upon. Speaking of which, I tried the trading lifestyle after homeland update. There were a few fun lives and connections there. Most of it involved dying old and alone without completing my goal. I can see how thieving prospers, but I can't do it.

I haven't played since the wild berry and iron updates. I can see the changes to my play style without logging in. Still watching, though.

#8 2020-04-02 10:52:40

Don Holm

pein wrote:

The forum is overwhelmed, a lot of players play the game for 2-3 days, then nothing.
People complain, lot of scandals, hate on the update, Jason enjoys that, at least people come out. I mean I don't agree with every buff idea, but nerfs don't solve the current situation. Does it make harder for the veterans? A tiny bit, but we just see more bones around. It's more annoying to get anything done than before. I jumped into 3-4 games lately, honestly, I don't feel too motivated. I redesigned the city once, started a cow pen, got surprised on the grapes mechanics what I already knew but kinda forgot. Tried to make the more efficient foods, rather than just pies. I guess it mattered a bit but overall nothing changed.

What keeps you all motivated? I liked rushing tech and making long lines when it actually mattered a bit.
Now I feel like I don't want to spend time with tech I can't finish on my own. So just hang around preparing shit tons of resources and let newbies finish it.

Trade and wars didn't happen, we even went backwards. No capitalism, no ownership of items, buildings don't matter much, no real purpose for them, the mechanics of animals are quite simple still. I can't set up shop and make people work for money or unlock content with currency.
Theft is even more common than before cause we don't have ways to do special items and even if people understand what we say if they can't do it on their own, hard to explain why and how to do things for us.

War didn't happen, mainly cause we don't have sides, mainly cause we are reborn on different sides, so we would end up against our own families,  there is no skill-based duels, no dodging, no targeting, only one-sided battles with mob mentality against some griefers, I even don't really participate, just throw a knife to a kid to do the dirty work. No team battles, sieges or territory control, no AI attacks, no tower defence.

The iron change doesn't change much, yet another nerf to iron, it even makes it simpler to get it but now towns steal it from others and it's still kinda the same, the random mining would make sense, at least we would have some different results and an industrial zone, not sure if it would happen.

Player skill went up a bit and we got a lot of good smiths, bakers, builders, we don't even have enough jobs to do, you either go for the oil grind which is out of your hand so not that satisfying, quite repetitive or you just hang around the town without a goal.

We really need more complex systems, more goals. At least upgrades should be more, small gradual upgrades so not only 4-5 players get a chance to do anything for the city. We need some competition and chaos.

What keeps you motivated?

Jason if there is anyone who you should listen to, it should be this man.

#9 2020-04-02 13:02:05

Caprys

At the moment the thing that keeps me motivated is avoiding people. I have a little village where I go to so I can experiment with diverent farm setups without people hindering the proces.

#10 2020-04-02 16:02:16

pein

yeah I had the phase where I wanted to make setups, not much changed
I even asked for some special tiles that just block planting and look good, non-movable, we don't really have them

I tried to make mods, to make it more fun but the modding support isn't that good either, kinda complex to put them in-game and I haven't really heard back from people if they use it or not, at least it's refreshing for me to see different textures

interesting thoughts there guys

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2020-04-02 17:32:50

Gogo
Banned

Trust me on this, people are against properties, I lately got cursed for making one (want to stash something, not grief). Trade happens now, ppl use paper to communicate, it's not only stealing.

Tbh sometimes small things drives me, like I wanna reunite with a good mom. I wanted to prove myself if people would use things that I've designed, if they're practical, if I can organize something or stay cool during drama's. For first I was seeking for more drama, ruling, after virus I've seeked for more company xD and try to help, keep towns running with more challengable updates.

Most memorable things tho, were during interactions with others, not things. Nerfing more things won't provoke more memorable things. Co-op alone is not enough, conflicts are also important.

Summarizing, what motivates me are people and some my own small projects, adapting to new situations. I like all new updates.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-04-02 17:56:41)

#12 2020-04-02 17:36:49

Ilka

The only thing left of this game is the unique interpersonal interaction.
That's why I still play, although sometimes I feel bored and ask myself, is it a waste of time?

#13 2020-04-02 17:45:21

Elsayal

Imagine that there are some people, playing hundred and hundred of hours of this game, but yet who dont understand why they feel bored by the game at some point smile

Well, any game will have this effect. So if it's still enjoyable, that must be a hell of a game !

Just saying.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#14 2020-04-02 17:48:33

Dodge

Gogo wrote:

Most memorable things tho, were during interactions with others, not things. Nerfing more things won't provoke more memorable things. Co-op alone is not enough, conflicts are also important.

If you have too much of everything then you dont need to interact, so no memorable moments.

Shouldn't all be about nerf but finding the right balance between boring because too much stuff and game impossible because not enough.

#15 2020-04-02 18:04:35

Ilka

Elsayal wrote:

Imagine that there are some people, playing hundred and hundred of hours of this game, but yet who dont understand why they feel bored by the game at some point smile

Well, any game will have this effect. So if it's still enjoyable, that must be a hell of a game !

Just saying.

I know well why I'm bored - Jason limited my options.
He gave me nothing in return for what he took.
Seriously, I don't want to play game calculating exactly water, oil, iron, berries.
For me it's boring as hell.
The fact that I can't do something because I am limited by race, space for tools, some funny "homesick" is boring as hell.
The fact that I have to do something, although I don't feel like it, is even more boring.
Jason has been experimenting for months.
Before calculating exactly how many berries and bowls of water we need per player, the most loyal players will abandon the game.
See how many new items were introduced by those who created games on the Ohol engine.
And what did we get?
Swords, sticks fences, rift, weakening, limiting, reducing.

Last edited by Ilka (2020-04-02 18:08:08)

#16 2020-04-02 18:06:34

Ilka

Dodge wrote:
Gogo wrote:

If you have too much of everything then you dont need to interact, so no memorable moments.

Shouldn't all be about nerf but finding the right balance between boring because too much stuff and game impossible because not enough.

But if you have too little of everything and you are starving, this is the best opportunity to talk to other players.

#17 2020-04-02 18:08:02

Elsayal

I didn't mean that you can't point out what is bothering you. Is there a game where you can say : "Well, everything is perfect to me, as if I designed it myself !" ? I mean that after playing hours and hours you become bored by any aspect of any game.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#18 2020-04-02 18:11:56

Ilka

Ohol was different because it was very non-linear.
You didn't know who you would be and what your life would be like.
Jason's patches mean there is less and less variety in the game.
It is never a good way.

#19 2020-04-03 01:54:21

schmloo

I’m not. I stopped a little while ago, but hang around to see if any good changes get pulled out of the hat, and if any previous updates are rolled back. Last time I tried to log in, I just quit pretty much straight away because I knew that any life I played was going to be a (potential series of) grinds, for no real significant, fairly proportional gain for anyone. It’s not even like I’d shoot a chance at a unique life; oh, hooray, this life we baked RABBIT pies! The bakery and absolutely everything surrounding it looked relatively the same as everything else in a previous town though.

There’s no epic tales in this game. Nothing for anyone to remember anyone by. No great people. No great adventures. Just a constant, doomed struggle, until this settlement dies and players are filtered into another one. No explorers, or if there are, there’s no great findings. Just an expanse of repetitive wilderness. No natural landmarks or coastlines. You can go and map some dead villages out if you want, or you can make a map to the next tarry spot (judging by recent changes, this is moot anyway). But you can’t make a visual representation of the surrounding area for your family members to look at and get their bearings, or even set out to discover more, and pursue a legend of a mountain of iron, or sea of oil or something. No gold rush. No scientific advancements and discoveries, with people pushing great limits to discover something never (or at the least even rarely) discovered before, because the tech tree in this regard is too narrow once you’ve done certain things several times. No unique town cultures formed, because there’s nothing unique TO form. No unique hardships, like overcoming a plague and thus your town’s medical development was much better, or a series of severe winters that meant crops failed and relying on hunting and population control was the only option to survive, meaning the town is much hardier and better prepared for something like that in the future. Both are interesting stories.

For an open world survival game, it’s very linear, restricted, and has a very singular play style. No great civilisation can be rebuilt, because no knowledge can be passed down efficiently, because there are no books to educate people who physically can not learn in a tense, life or death scenario, where if no one pulls their weight, the town will fall to shit. You can’t rely on anyone to do anything, because after they hit a certain level of experience they don’t like being told what to do, and see it as an insult... which, to be fair, is sometimes the case, because no one likes a demanding prick. So internal trade can’t happen because of this sense of entitlement, and thus a communal society is the only way to keep everyone happy. Also the fact that people WILL hoard resources and tools, and detriment the development of the town.

Maybe I’m expecting too much though. Maybe this is just a small game, where there is only one possible experience to be had.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#20 2020-04-03 02:20:39

Gogo
Banned

It's a game about post-apo civs. We're rebuilding from scratch with a commune as system.

I was thinking about adding... rare things to game - things that wouldn't even appear in onetech or tips, you must find out yourself what can you make from it. The coolest would be whole dead pre-war town or some very rare ingridients in spec biomes. Another thing, dynamic enviroment, a river that can turned dried or flooded. Fires from heat. A mountain that will block your way. And diseases that will always give different effects and for first you need to figure out how to cure them. Unpredictable things that will make world more alive and interesting.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-04-03 02:22:11)

#21 2020-04-03 02:39:07

pein

Kinda weird that we got a nice world which turns into shit
and the "everything runs out", you gotta read that subforum
basically Jaso saying that high tech is shit and must be shit and all backwards

wold be nice to have world which starts out bad then we can clear it and make it nice.
like radiation, rumbles, garbage, dead biomes, you clean it and things start to produce items more and more.

Board footer