One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-31 17:21:12

Elsayal

Chopping White Pine Tree is not Hungry work

Is it intended ?
Even in onetech it's stated as not hungry work.

By the way, why killing a sheep is hungry work but not killing pigs ?
Again, is it intended ?

Thanks !

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#2 2020-03-31 17:56:36

wondible

Re: Chopping White Pine Tree is not Hungry work

Pines are not hungry work so we have some place to get wood. They aren't critical to anything like branches or tinder, and pines are used for lumber industry IRL. They aren't so good for burning even though it's where we got most of our firewood, but it's the best system we've found so far.

Killing sheep is hungry work to keep people from easily killing all the sheep. Pigs have usually been rare an non-criticial.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#3 2020-03-31 18:23:35

Elsayal

Oh. Is mining iron hungry work to prevent something too ?

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#4 2020-03-31 19:54:35

Coconut Fruit

Elsayal wrote:

Oh. Is mining iron hungry work to prevent something too ?

Yes, to prevent it being a boring game mechanic tongue

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2020-04-01 02:15:18

Cogito

I had no idea pine trees were not hungry work!

So forests of pine (lumber, firewood) and maple (tools, kindling) are probably best?

#6 2020-04-01 13:04:56

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Wanna know why you didn't know? Because it's not explained AT ALL. Jason makes these changes and then expects us to memorize them while players who don't pay as close attention miss vital information like this.

He just expects us to know and learn his random bullshit. Information is important.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#7 2020-04-01 19:07:27

DestinyCall

Even Jason forgets his changes.

#8 2020-04-02 17:41:53

Ilka

Hungry work on cutting down trees was introduced in times of rift.
This was to prevent griefs from cutting all useful trees.
Jason forgot the pines by mistake.
And so it remains today.
There is no longer a rift and the danger that griefs will cut down all the trees, but hungry work remains, no one knows why.

#9 2020-04-02 17:47:28

Elsayal

You can still grief a town in early game by wasting an axe and cutting all usefull tree around.

Anyway, cutting dead tree is still a hungry works (at least onetech say so). It's not consistent, so maybe something have to change.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#10 2020-04-02 18:19:43

Ilka

Immediately after introducing this mechanics, we asked Jason that cutting down swamp and dead trees was not a hungry technique.
But he did not want to improve on it and it remained so.

#11 2020-04-03 23:04:58

DestinyCall

It was not a "mistake".   

Jason initially made all hardwood trees hungry work to discouraging tree griefing.   But juniper is a "softwood", so all the juniper got cut down.   Rather than just making juniper and other useful trees hungry work and leaving useless trees like swamp trees and dead trees as non-hungry work, Jason picked pine trees as "the firewood tree".  Based on his posts, I think it was because he associates firewood with camping and pine trees.  Even though pine makes shitty firewood - it burns too fast and dirty.

He never revisited it, even though pine is now a lot more useful.   It would make so much more sense if all non-productive trees were easy-chop and the productive ones were protected by hungry work, since the hardwood/softwood logic didn't match the in-game mechanics at all.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-04-03 23:07:14)

#12 2020-04-03 23:26:58

Elsayal

thanks for the input Destiny,
Anyway, I think Jason has other issue to fix on his mind atm, so let's not add to the burden. It may be fix one day, or stay as it is. It's not really an issue tbh. I was just wandering smile

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#13 2020-05-10 05:11:39

Gomez

I love the Jason development lore, lmfao thanks destiny.

#14 2020-05-10 20:20:04

Arcurus

Lol, when i first saw this topic it felt boring and i ignored it, but then after this much engagement with a Bug topic called "Chopping white Pine tree...  i was getting curious... this community is really funny!

Elsayal wrote:

Is it intended ?
Even in onetech it's stated as not hungry work.

By the way, why killing a sheep is hungry work but not killing pigs ?
Again, is it intended ?

Thanks !

is killing sheep still hungry work? killed many sheeps lately but never noticed to get more hungry...

Some one said its removed, since Jason said you can uses fences now to guard the sheeps....

I got an idea, why not make an summary with stories about OHOL creation.

In the beginning there was Jason and Jason was Jason.

Then Jason thought all the creatures run around wildly wihout any border then Jason created the rift in the world to have a border, since only if you have a border you will experience your limits and wihout experiencing your limits you will never overcome your limits...

And so the rift was and there was a limmit.

And Jason was watching and he saw his little beloved creatures slaughtered and starving.

He even saw the beautiful trees disappearing he created for pure joy.

This was too much, so he brought hunger to the world and cursed everyone with hunger who chopped down a tree.

And Jason whatched and he saw the trees living again, but he saw his little beloved creatures freezing to death.

So Jason made the White Pine Tree holy, to sacrifice itself to give firewood for his beloved creatures.

And then the rift disappeared, but the Pine Tree stayed holy and so stayed the other trees cursed to bring hunger, then for each blessing there must be a curse and for each curse a blessing (at least in theory).

This was the story how the White Pine tree became the holy firewood tree for generations to come. Please share it to your children the story of Jason and the White Pine Tree

Jason also saw the slaughtering of his beloved sheeps and he saw his beloved creatures naked again, since they did not have wool from the sheeps anymore. and the creatures again froze to death because some evil spirits killed all the beloved sheeps. So Jason made the sheeps holy and through so everyone to kill one sheep will be cursed to get hungry.

But then he saw his creatures starving to death, since they could not eat the sheep anymore in hungry times. so Jason invented fences to keep out the evil spirits and unblessed the sheeps again, so that with the blessing also the hungry curse disappeared from the sheeps.

Board footer