One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-29 03:45:58

Morti

Exploit Wild Berry Reproduction Rates

It's great! Keep bowls around wild berries, to load with berried, near water and keep them replenished.

Far better than the domestic variety and soil can be used for other crops.

#2 2020-03-29 03:50:51

mina

Re: Exploit Wild Berry Reproduction Rates

But, of course!

Why would we ever want to build a civilization and farm crops if it just wastes resources?!?

#3 2020-03-29 04:04:42

DestinyCall

Fun fact - Food production requires a huge amount of water.
  But you only need to eat food if you are alive. 

Save water.   Stay off-line.

#4 2020-03-29 04:11:38

testo

DestinyCall wrote:

Fun fact - Food production requires a huge amount of water.
  But you only need to eat food if you are alive. 

Save water.   Stay off-line.

Destiny, I think you are too kind and smart of a person to play this game. Move on.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#5 2020-03-29 04:12:43

pein

technically you get 5 berries nott 7 since you would get one anyway and the max is 6, not 7
and it's further from camp

I guess you can use pond water on it if it's closer to it, and do not forget to pick it down

soil is around 1/6th of the water so the bowl of soil is 1 berry difference

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2020-03-29 04:46:39

DestinyCall

testo wrote:

Move on.

I wish I could, but I'm part of the OHOL Mafia.   Just when I think that I am out they pull me back in.

#7 2020-03-29 04:49:36

Morti

Trust me a few bowls in practice, near a good cluster of wild berries will produce an abundance of berries.
Not enough to sustain a huge family, but more than enough for you and a few kids, just ask Mercutio from our life as potters on the outskirts, southwest, of the Brown family home.

We made two dozen bowls and filled them with wild berries from only a small handful of bushes.

We were at about x=-100, y=-80, relative to the brown family's well.

Wish I had got a screenshot of it, it was pretty cool. Pond water and a bowl to start, and we managed wonders, for the two of us.
Venus and Terra were twins born to me down there, they saw the beginning of it. But Mercutio saw the real splendor of the wild berry bonanza.

And no soil was required, though I did farm some milkweed  and a batch of carrots for variety. Food situation at the brown skins home was atrocious.

#8 2020-03-29 06:16:49

Coconut Fruit

Empty wild berry bushes regrow 1 berry after 10 minutes. So technically we can still go outside of town with no food and not rly care about picking these berries... There are plenty bushes to use.
Hoped they wouldn't regrow.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#9 2020-03-29 07:25:01

Morti

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Empty wild berry bushes regrow 1 berry after 10 minutes. So technically we can still go outside of town with no food and not rly care about picking these berries... There are plenty bushes to use.
Hoped they wouldn't regrow.

The trick here is to empty them as soon as you can, whether in a bowl, or on the ground, and then water them immediately to get the regrowth timer started. Do that for clusters of wild berries and you can sustain good berry production for a life.

It won't last for days, if you do it near ponds, but if you branch out and do it near wells, using the water for wild berries, you can produce a lot more berries with a lot less work.

Give it a try, you will see the payoff. I did it near a swamp, set up a kiln to mass produce bowls, and had them filled in a lifetime, as a mother, on the edge of my families home. I would go in and out of the family zone and had five kids, two suicided but Mercury Venus and Terra had longer lives.

Please folks, don't waste too much time in game worrying about this iron situation, that will be sorted out in time, for now, try your hand at this style of play. Make more bowls, get them near the wild berries and ponds near your family home, when the bush regrows, full of berries, empty it into a bowl and water the bush. Go around doing that till you get a 10 minute cycle down and you can keep those bowls of berries going into your camps or towns. It can work. Nature is more bountiful than ever.

It used to take 10 minutes for one berry to grow back, now we can get 6 berries from wild bushes, every ten minutes.
This is a huge change, don't underestimate the value of this. Farm wild gooseberry bushes for pies, animal feed and bait.
It's a new meta, adapt.

--

And another thing, stop telling Jason what his games should be like or why what you think he is doing is wrong.
He's not your typical game designer, you're not going to appreciate the way he's adjusting his games, if you think of him like he's Blizzard, Bethesda or Capcom.
He's playing with new mechanics, new styles, essentially, he's trying to make new games of the same world; the same assets, and, I know I didn't fully appreciate it, after a year of dealing with it, but it's really not that terrible of a way to go about developing a game.

Sure, I have found memories, like pein and others, of the way things used to be, but the fun comes from adapting together.

Board footer