One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-28 12:18:21

Gogo
Banned

What is racism?

I'm living in Europe and idk about this racism stuff you got there in multi-raced countries. Today I was white and some black guy came on horse, he made a way stone to their home, so when I was too old for having kids, I've said that I'm going to blacks. Then someone said racism. Lol. I'm not sure if that was irony or seriously, but I've got a question. What is considered as racism and why, which words and why? Going to blacks is worse phrase than going to black ppl?

#2 2020-03-28 12:22:26

Elsayal

Re: What is racism?

No, it's fine. I'm sure it was a joke, don't bother bro.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#3 2020-03-28 12:36:50

MrGold

Happened one time to me i was going to go to browns and was called racist and cursed

Im Mr.Gold I /hmph

#4 2020-03-28 12:49:39

Morti

Once I rode into a black town and asked where the basketball court was, where their chicken farm and watermelon patches were.
It's okay, I have racist friends. I can talk like that.

#5 2020-03-28 12:52:17

pein

when you discriminate between black beans and green beans that is racism

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2020-03-28 13:01:34

Morti

pein wrote:

I've always wondered about green people, who are they? Armenians? Italians? Greeks? Twisted is a Croat, what's he considered? Slav? As a person from Europe, do 'you people' discriminate against slavs?

But the real question I want answered; what defines a Chav?

#7 2020-03-28 13:26:08

voy178

Morti wrote:
pein wrote:

I've always wondered about green people, who are they? Armenians? Italians? Greeks? Twisted is a Croat, what's he considered? Slav? As a person from Europe, do 'you people' discriminate against slavs?

Oh yes, people discriminate against Slavs big time in Europe. Everything from the stereotype that they all steal, employed in low skill jobs, hooligans that smoke and drink too much, ugly hawknoses, can't comprehend democracy like "us", or that they do not have feelings because they don't emote very much. Depending on the country, some people feel that being Slav is a little dirty in itself and would likely bring down your on prestige by associate with them. But the funny thing is that the Slavs themselves have tiers and ranks of prestige between the different Eastern European countries, e.g. the Poles might look down on Belarussians and Ukrainians for the same reasons the West does whilst still be deemed trash by the rest of us. It's all very sad and unfair.

#8 2020-03-28 14:32:55

Morti

And sorry pein, I didn't assume you were from Europe, I meant that part of the message to Gogo, or any European for that matter.

And thanks for the info voy. I've been on the internet, engaging with Europeans for a long time, I hear a lot about those 'kebabs' too, though, I'm not even sure who those people are. Are Slavs also called Kebabs? or are Kebabs more like people near the edge of Southeast Europe and the Middle East? I'm just guessing Turkish people would fall into that category, but, are the people of the Balkans also referred to as Kebabs, or, are Kebabs like gypsies; transients? It's not a word used to describe Muslims, is it?

I am genuinely curious, now that we are talking about this sort of thing. These are not the kinds of questions I'd ever think to ask people. If I hear people using Slav, Kebab or Chav in a derogatory way, I think they're probably not the best people to ask what those words mean. Maybe there are people who self identify as those terms and would be better people to ask, what, political, geographic or cultural traits, distinguish them from other people.

I mean, I just got to say, Europe... How, how do you have so many different languages, in such a small space? Just, a lot of little tribes that kept to themselves for the most part? I thought most of you were united by Rome? But that didn't stop Europe from having, what, like 20, 30 different languages? I imagine there are more too, I'm imagining there are multiple tongues within each border, that, probably don't even recognize political boundaries. Something like what I imagine the Kurds are, down near Iraq, Turkey, Syria, Armenia and Iran.

--

I really wish this sort of thing wasn't being encouraged by Jason. This is what I love about the internet, and using translators and subtitles. I really don't want any people, thinking of other people, like they fit somewhere on a scale of worst to best. But it's really difficult, isn't it, not to begin to see things that way, when you know so much, about yourselves; your family, your culture, your country, even your continent, and then only get snipets of information, regarding people elsewhere in the world?

I have this beautiful picture of human migration, over hundreds of thousands of years, flowing out from Africa, all around the globe; all the way to the Southern tip of South America. But it really wasn't like a beautiful flowing, maybe only for the people on the very edge of the expansion, but, after that, the streams all dried up, and people collected like droplets of water, down a pane of glass. Each of those droplets, becoming the tribes, cities and states of the world. I wish we could have all chosen to stay in touch, but we're mending those cracks, aren't we? With things like trade, politics, tourism, immigration and the internet? Our are we just going to come on here and reinforce those old stereotypes, and, distinctions, that our ancestors have been dying for, since, well, probably since the dawn of cellular life itself?

I'm tired. Physically, mentally, and culturally. I'm tired of thinking about people, justifying murder, to claim resources, from other people.

#9 2020-03-28 14:47:51

x_Raiema_x

@morti, idk about the other words but i THINK chav is a word for a poor russian who slav squats and wears Adidas pants. could be completely wrong though

I say eyyyyyyy constantly <3

#10 2020-03-28 14:51:10

Cogito

I've only ever heard Chav as an English (as in England) slang, backronymed to mean 'Community Housing, Aggravated Violence' (CHAV)

#11 2020-03-28 14:57:52

arkajalka

For some reason theres big ammounts of safe spacey super triggering players in this player base. Find it funny how they try to find racism and anything to trigger about in every casual interacction you have.

Its just a word!

As long as we give attention and get triggered about them we are going to have racism.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#12 2020-03-28 15:14:47

pein

I'm the worst to ask, I'm hated in my country for being Hungarian and m hated in Hungary for being Romanian big_smile And whatever I do this topic comes up within 5 minutes. 

We still got a fairly big Hungarian population in 3 counties, almost 6% of the country so basically some 90%+ cities even, since they gave Transilvania to Romania, they renamed all cities, rewrote history books, forced language learning, forced people to move in, to have kids, no taxes are given back to improve infrastructure or industry.

Hungarians are the biggest outliers in Europe, we were the only paganic country, so 1000 years ago we were converted to catholic, even in prayers they had that "god save from hun arrows" so everybody feared it. Basically no language is similar to it, even these Scandinavian relations are a lie. Since it was 2nd biggest country in Europe, occupying the surrounding countries, I'm quite sure everybody hates us, especially that they got territories back from Hungary so every country surrounding it has a piece of it.
As for the population in Romania, we got way more people than the rest of Eastern Europe, and a lot of gipsies who don't consider themselves a gipsy, rather whatever benefits them most, they receive a lot of hate, mostly deservedly, you can hate them one by one that's a fairly good reason to hate them in general.

I'm not hateful toward any group, you can always find good people anywhere. I had lots of different people in my life and I enjoy other languages, I try to speak a bit of each.

Armenian girls are hot and quite open-minded and dangerous big_smile The latinos and franks are quite good relation with each other and as I heard the greeks and Turks are doing quite fine (Cyprus).

Since the world war, Hungary has a good relation with germans, and nobody else cause everybody else was on both sides. Eastern relations are going way better like Russia, China and  Japan, etc.

As for Slavs go, it's still quite a similar language across eastern Europe and balcanic territory, and a fairly strong payment difference from western Europe, the EU didn't really change much.

As for the big war, neutral countries go like Switzerland and the Scandinavians, you wouldn't expect it but they quite racist toward others. Like you cannot even stay in Switzerland if you aren't working, they supposed to be 4 different nations but quite hateful to certain outsiders. Heard some things about Sweden, they mostly speak English as a second language but you won't settle there without speaking Swedish, and its actually very developed country, and you could earn more than in UK or Germany, a friend of mine really liked it there the job, but it was boring socially.

I really like the Austrians, they got very nice resting spots when you travel through the international roads, very clean and some places are fairly cheap. Free toilets and water, wending machines, free parking, free wifi. The people I met were quite nice too.

It's a pretty strong difference in languages and culture in a small territory, so I always find it Weird that USA has this big differences between the states, like no one even knows here what the states are there, maybe a few of them, and they are not that interesting to the world. Hard to compare Greece with Florida big_smile but from what I see, Americans are the same with us like they can't tell apart 2 countries.
I mean if you live there you got more information, I'm certain, I lived quite long in Germany. North and north-west is so much better than the south, hard to even compare.

Now I'm in Uk a while ago, quite a weird country by Europen standards and as I said the American influence is stronger than the British back at home, so it's not what you would expect. I'm in the district with the most varied cultures and nationalities and it's awesome.
Even seeing people in the streets and working with them is quite different.
Arabians seem to be affected way too much by their religious views.

Just because you love your language or nation, no reason to hate others.

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2020-03-28 15:17:33

Morti

x_Raiema_x wrote:

@morti, idk about the other words but i THINK chav is a word for a poor russian who slav squats and wears Adidas pants. could be completely wrong though

I thought that's what a Cyka Blyat was?

>_<

I'm sorry, I'm just kiddin. I'm pretty sure that means motherfucking bitch or something... I asked some Ukranians at a bus station what it meant once, and they laughed for a second, but then they just told me to never say that to anyone and that it was just very offensive. But I've been exposed to too many Vines, Youtube videos and 4chan webm's on /gif/ of angry Russian kids in Call of Duty and getting griefed by admins in Minecraft. It's too late for me.

#14 2020-03-28 15:26:47

DestinyCall

arkajalka wrote:

Its just a word!

As long as we give attention and get triggered about them we are going to have racism.

It would be nice if racism would cease to exist if we stopped giving it attention, like ignoring a forum troll.   But in my experience, it doesn't really work like that.

I believe there is a proper balance between the two extremes.   Being overly sensitive to potential bigotry leads to making false assumptions about other people and constantly assuming the worst about their intentions.   Innocent words and actions are vilified as derogatory.

But you can also be too insensitive and unaware of the way your actions and words affect those around you.   It is important to recognize your own biases and blind-spots, especially when interacting with a diverse community of people.  We all have had different experiences with racism in the real world.   Some people have not been impacted by it at all.   Other people have had to struggle against in-grained prejudices their whole life.   It is not surprising that our tolerance for racist behavior or intolerant attitudes can be quite different.   It directly impacts enjoyment of the game and colors our interactions with each other.

Words and ideas are powerful things.    They can be ignored or dismissed, but they are real and have a real effect on the people who are exposed to them.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-03-28 15:30:18)

#15 2020-03-28 15:36:14

voy178

arkajalka wrote:

Its just a word!

That's not how racism works. You don't solve racism by allowing everyone to say the N-word and you also don't solve racism by ignoring that race exists.

In any language, words have meaning. If you lived by the words you preach, then I guess you also think that profanities are not problematic? Would you be totally okay for anyone to call your mother something normal people would consider nasty because you think that words are just words?

If not, then we can establish that some words do hurt and aren't just words. Discriminatory slurs are those words that have the same capability to hurt as any other word we use to hurt others. The historical context that surrounds certain words is important to remember and are not to be dismissed.

Saying things like black, white, red, brown etc are just stating facts in-game, that's okay we're not playing actual people. Saying the N-word or similar racial slurs or even yelling profanities in-game, however, is indecent and immature.

#16 2020-03-28 16:39:44

pein

Morti wrote:

And sorry pein, I didn't assume you were from Europe, I meant that part of the message to Gogo, or any European for that matter.

And thanks for the info voy. I've been on the internet, engaging with Europeans for a long time, I hear a lot about those 'kebabs' too, though, I'm not even sure who those people are. Are Slavs also called Kebabs? or are Kebabs more like people near the edge of Southeast Europe and the Middle East? I'm just guessing Turkish people would fall into that category, but, are the people of the Balkans also referred to as Kebabs, or, are Kebabs like gypsies; transients? It's not a word used to describe Muslims, is it?

I am genuinely curious, now that we are talking about this sort of thing. These are not the kinds of questions I'd ever think to ask people. If I hear people using Slav, Kebab or Chav in a derogatory way, I think they're probably not the best people to ask what those words mean. Maybe there are people who self identify as those terms and would be better people to ask, what, political, geographic or cultural traits, distinguish them from other people.

I mean, I just got to say, Europe... How, how do you have so many different languages, in such a small space? Just, a lot of little tribes that kept to themselves for the most part? I thought most of you were united by Rome? But that didn't stop Europe from having, what, like 20, 30 different languages? I imagine there are more too, I'm imagining there are multiple tongues within each border, that, probably don't even recognize political boundaries. Something like what I imagine the Kurds are, down near Iraq, Turkey, Syria, Armenia and Iran.

--

I really wish this sort of thing wasn't being encouraged by Jason. This is what I love about the internet, and using translators and subtitles. I really don't want any people, thinking of other people, like they fit somewhere on a scale of worst to best. But it's really difficult, isn't it, not to begin to see things that way, when you know so much, about yourselves; your family, your culture, your country, even your continent, and then only get snipets of information, regarding people elsewhere in the world?

I have this beautiful picture of human migration, over hundreds of thousands of years, flowing out from Africa, all around the globe; all the way to the Southern tip of South America. But it really wasn't like a beautiful flowing, maybe only for the people on the very edge of the expansion, but, after that, the streams all dried up, and people collected like droplets of water, down a pane of glass. Each of those droplets, becoming the tribes, cities and states of the world. I wish we could have all chosen to stay in touch, but we're mending those cracks, aren't we? With things like trade, politics, tourism, immigration and the internet? Our are we just going to come on here and reinforce those old stereotypes, and, distinctions, that our ancestors have been dying for, since, well, probably since the dawn of cellular life itself?

I'm tired. Physically, mentally, and culturally. I'm tired of thinking about people, justifying murder, to claim resources, from other people.

I wrote the post before checking this.
Yeah as I said, its quite a big difference between countries here, just because America has a similar size state, doesn't really compare with it, also some countries got way higher population per square meter, so Germany is like 6 times denser than the USA and like 25% of their total population. Even Japan has a similar population to Russia so you can't just disregard small countries. Europe is the cradle of civilization, and the influences are quite high. Before Rome, it was Greece, that's like the cultural basics for everyone in the world. Rome was very organized but you can't control so much territory, people have gone lazy and it eventually fell apart. Funny thing that mongolians, huns and magyars raided all across Europe, Byzantine even paid them not to attack and most of them still didn't settle.
Germany was quite huge for most of history and fell apart to pieces over and over, they are quite distinct in each region, even now they got different pay rates per county, Sashen, for example, has 20% higher rates than the old communist east side. Turkey was invading countries and had some influence but people kept their culture anyway like they don't even destroy religious relics or churches, they converted them. Then the Catholic state was quite huge and even more influence, all the crusade wars.
Spain and Portugal fought back the Arabians and actually the reason why they didn't annex Portugal is a marriage. As one of my Portuguese friend of mine said: "they don't understand us but like us, we understand them but we don't like them". Portugal language sounds weird man, I can identify if someone is Italian or French or Spanish, but that thing sounded more similar to Russian than any Latino language.

Anyway, there is quite well defendable borders there, Spain and France, France and Brittain. I was in Northwest of Germany, it has some big cities, but southwest is like nothing nowhere, that place was a french and german territory and there is are no big cities there. So Holland and Belgium is the result of these places fighting, occupying, falling apart. Same for Switzerland too. The northern side of europe is cold so the population is lower and they don't tend to fight that much, yeah the famous Vikings are the most peaceful countries now, they didn't have a war in hundreds of years, and when Russia invaded Finland they got their butt kicked big_smile

They advanced the same time so it was a power struggle, but most of the winners don't annihilate the locals, they lived together. That goes for Austria, Hungary too, the population had it way better than how they treat us.

That kebab thing sounds offensive as hell big_smile Turkish food is one of the best in the world and the service quality they provide is damn good. If you look up Cyprus, you can see what I'm talking about, an island totally based on tourism. Kebab is the meat cooked on a sword, its also called Döner, by the germans since there are almost 11 million Turks in Germany and they got quite a big influence on entertainment and services, especially in smaller cities. Here in UK, Döner is mainly the mass-produced huge meat chunk, and kebab is the small speciality meat (tho I ate the same self-produced and prepared lamb Döner and it was awesome).

Btw industrial revolution was huge influence all over the world, like people didn't care about the population or production before, specifically targeting it, the machines and the overproduction raised the population all over the world, it's hard to even imagine, but a few hundred thousand people lived in countries where we got millions now. They didn't have the map knowledge and the ability to travel too far. If they would have, it would be easy to annihilate other countries nearby.  As one of my history professors said, the wars are the main source of technological development. There is always money in wars. After Hungary lost the world war, the territory was taken away, research had a huge boost in financing and surprisingly so many inventions are made by Hungarians, it doesn't make sense statistically.

I think Germany had the chance to take over Europe, and it was quite close to doing it. 99% of the Russians who turned 18 in that year were killed.
Some countries like Romania and Italy switched sides during the world wars to gain an advantage, and USA waited out to intervene and they basically took all the scientists and companies for themselves.

Spain basically draws a line in south America so Mexico is theirs and everything else except brazil and African borders is still a straight line, which doesn't make much sense if you look at European borders, everything is a river or a mountain, something defendable.
In Africa, only a few people learned how to fight with modern weapons, basically, they played with both sides to get weapons and resist the invasion. It was no challenge, same as Cortez against the Mayans.

The fact that USA gained independence and had so big territory, had enough resources to win against others. But is basically built on Indian graves, they killed all the natives, which is not something that happened anywhere in Europe at any point of history. Even now they spend more money on the military than any other country, and for a reason cause they stir up shit everywhere in the world. But quite the same for Europe, if someone would take revenge for all the shit they did, they would totally deserve it. China is silent, just works produce, advances, they still let others play with them but nor for long. They basically got tons of old people now, since is quite long ago 1 kid per family, so they just grow stronger after they solve the main issues.

I mean is pretty powerful to manipulate people trough media, movies and such. In german radios, 80% of the music is in English, that means that sometime in the future people will speak English. Then is the religion wars, that is even more hypocritical and weird to me. How people think that they are better than others and right about their believes just because they happen to be born there and how religions teach hate and discrimination. Weirdly enough Russians are quite religious after it was banned for a while, people just want to do what they are not allowed to do. This whole ideology between communism and capitalism was bullshit, they made opposition to capitalism and proved that is worse, so people accept it. But humans are so assholes, they don't even want to become equal, pretty funny to hear some real-life stories, one guy worked with me in the same workplace, getting just a bit more than minimum wage, said he had a Mansion, bodyguards and personal servants back at home. kinda crazy how some people grind in life to gain an advantage over others. Kinda sad how people think they know what they want but they are manipulated by these groups and ideologies. Not believing in anything really makes people free, still, nobody does it.

In regard to the game: yeah, kinda weird that Jason plays with racism, and making hate and stealing a feature. a least in online worlds we should have an ideal place where people can live together. I don't have a problem with completing, but there is a line between enemies and adversaries.
Combat and sport. For example, football kinda replaced wars, people still unite and cry and laugh together but without causing deaths and pain to others. An online game could be a place where both sides have a chance to win and still have fun even if they lose.

#17 2020-03-28 16:52:21

Elsayal

what the hell, can't read that much, sorry hmm

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#18 2020-03-28 17:06:53

Morti

pein wrote:

Hungarians are the biggest outliers in Europe, we were the only paganic country, so 1000 years ago we were converted to catholic, even in prayers they had that "god save from hun arrows"

I never even thought about that, that Hungary was named because of the Huns. I know it probably seems obvious if you're from Europe, but, in America, every time the country of Hungary is brought up, it always seems to be followed up with a joke about hunger, or, Turkey... yeah, most Americans, at least, most of the ones I grew up with, are, or, were, just that oblivious in regards to the history of the world. Unless is it was the history of the country that their ancestors migrated to America from, in which case, that particular European nation was the greatest country outside of the United States.

Everyone is the same, if your family was Irish, Ireland was the greatest, Germans are super proud of their German ancestry, people with French ancestry do tend to be a little snobbish, and it's pretty much the same , no matter where people's great great ancestors came from, but, you don't hear many people talk about their English ancestors, I guess, not since the Boston Tea party and the American Revolution. Even Chinese people in America hold their ancestry to the highest esteem.

There are a few families around here, in my little town in the middle of nowhere, with Norwegian, Scandanavian and "Viking" ancestry, and, while they tend to be pretty polite people in most respects, they're still massively into Norse Mythology and wear runes as jewelry, and they love talking about vikings as if they ruled the oceans all around the world. If you were young and heard the way they talked about vikings on the ocean, you might think the vikings ruled every port from Polynesia to Alexandria. Good friends, terrible Magic the Gathering players. big_smile Decks as tall as soup cans.

pein wrote:

Middle eastern history is pretty bloody, it was a very tight space for humanity to fight over for a long time. And, since the world has become addicted to oil, the Saudi family, Mecca and their Muslim ally countries, have been expanding quite aggressively around the world. Then there was the mess between Iraq and Iran for many years, as English and American oil companies tried to play their dictators against each other like pawns, while working out cheaper and cheaper deals for the oil fields those two countries shared...

The history of the USA and the UK's involvement in the oil and politics of the Persian Gulf is really a mess. It's always been obvious to me that we were messin around in that region just a little too much, then there were the events of 1991 and 2001, followed by second war in Iraq, for, bullshit reasons. But, no matter what, no matter what I say or do, there is no denying, that who we are, was/is, determined, by those of our ancestors who faught wars and manipulated other nations, and won. Whether that nation is a small one within Italy, or the largest, most populated one in East Asia. Every political geographic distinction was made by some sort, of show, of force, and pride.

In the case of Europe and the Middle East, I'm afraid the Crusades, never really ended.

Tensions, certainly, still exist, between people of either regions.

Pardon me. If I have made any mistakes, my eyelids are dropping like the twin towers.
Time to recharge.

#19 2020-03-28 17:09:28

Morti

Elsayal wrote:

what the hell, can't read that much, sorry hmm

pein is a typing machine

#20 2020-03-28 17:15:04

Elsayal

Yeah. Can he sum up things ?

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#21 2020-03-28 17:29:20

Morti

Elsayal wrote:

Yeah. Can he sum up things ?

America is a cooler version of Europe, pretty much sums it up.

Suck it, Euro Peons.

I really, really really really, need to sleep now.

#22 2020-03-28 17:36:48

Elsayal

Morti wrote:

America is a cooler version of Europe

Enjoy your coronavirus with that President, cooler guys.

Last edited by Elsayal (2020-03-28 17:37:02)

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#23 2020-03-28 17:56:22

pein

Morti wrote:
pein wrote:

Hungarians are the biggest outliers in Europe, we were the only paganic country, so 1000 years ago we were converted to catholic, even in prayers they had that "god save from hun arrows"

I never even thought about that, that Hungary was named because of the Huns. I know it probably seems obvious if you're from Europe, but, in America, every time the country of Hungary is brought up, it always seems to be followed up with a joke about hunger, or, Turkey... yeah, most Americans, at least, most of the ones I grew up with, are, or, were, just that oblivious in regards to the history of the world. Unless is it was the history of the country that their ancestors migrated to America from, in which case, that particular European nation was the greatest country outside of the United States.

Everyone is the same, if your family was Irish, Ireland was the greatest, Germans are super proud of their German ancestry, people with French ancestry do tend to be a little snobbish, and it's pretty much the same , no matter where people's great great ancestors came from, but, you don't hear many people talk about their English ancestors, I guess, not since the Boston Tea party and the American Revolution. Even Chinese people in America hold their ancestry to the highest esteem.

There are a few families around here, in my little town in the middle of nowhere, with Norwegian, Scandanavian and "Viking" ancestry, and, while they tend to be pretty polite people in most respects, they're still massively into Norse Mythology and wear runes as jewelry, and they love talking about vikings as if they ruled the oceans all around the world. If you were young and heard the way they talked about vikings on the ocean, you might think the vikings ruled every port from Polynesia to Alexandria. Good friends, terrible Magic the Gathering players. big_smile Decks as tall as soup cans.

pein wrote:

Middle eastern history is pretty bloody, it was a very tight space for humanity to fight over for a long time. And, since the world has become addicted to oil, the Saudi family, Mecca and their Muslim ally countries, have been expanding quite aggressively around the world. Then there was the mess between Iraq and Iran for many years, as English and American oil companies tried to play their dictators against each other like pawns, while working out cheaper and cheaper deals for the oil fields those two countries shared...

The history of the USA and the UK's involvement in the oil and politics of the Persian Gulf is really a mess. It's always been obvious to me that we were messin around in that region just a little too much, then there were the events of 1991 and 2001, followed by second war in Iraq, for, bullshit reasons. But, no matter what, no matter what I say or do, there is no denying, that who we are, was/is, determined, by those of our ancestors who faught wars and manipulated other nations, and won. Whether that nation is a small one within Italy, or the largest, most populated one in East Asia. Every political geographic distinction was made by some sort, of show, of force, and pride.

In the case of Europe and the Middle East, I'm afraid the Crusades, never really ended.

Tensions, certainly, still exist, between people of either regions.

Pardon me. If I have made any mistakes, my eyelids are dropping like the twin towers.
Time to recharge.

not really, the Huns were the wandering ones, the Magyars were the ones who settled
it's mostly called Hungaria or Hungary like the old version, the more archaic name, it's Magyarorszag where orszag means country, I guess because nobody pronounces "Magyar" right, heard it once pronounced from an AOE2 player that was some respectable effort. I guess it's the same for others, like Poland is Polonia or something and they call themselves polak.
Btw it was quite a lot of different nationalities together as huns so it's more like a collective than a nation at that point, that's why you can't pinpoint the origins cause there are some similarities with Russian tribes, down south from Mesopotamia and even China recognizes us as related but that's what you can expect with raiders from a continent going to another.

I'm pretty much summed up, quite a lot of information and different topics, hard to make that any shorter big_smile

#24 2020-03-28 18:21:39

Gogo
Banned

I'm not familiar with history so much. Althought I know one for sure, we were always fighting with each other, based on our differences and for resources. I don't like when computer games or movies forget about how things in nature works and push equality or romanticism too much, we need to be in touch with reality. That's why OHOL is interesting and unique, because we're not just teams, we are families based on races (and races were a thing even before update).

Back to original point, blaming for racism is as equal bad as racism itself. If someone is triggered by neutral words that describes how races looks, because ppl from them are/were dominated or poor in real life, that's not good. Don't blame innocent people for racism.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-03-28 18:26:24)

#25 2020-03-28 22:51:48

pein

Well, I tend to disagree on that, reality sucks, there is some karma and supernatural things going on, but at the end of the day, it won't matter that much.

also can fuck things up in games, like Mount and blade was a realistic game, Warband still had bows, arrows, crossbows, you can say that ranged is fairly equal to mêlée combat. When the later games added guns, even the shitty slow loading and random guns made it fairly overpowered and dumb to run at people with guns holding a knife.
In games or movies, it should be an equilibrium, then the strategies come out of that. For example in Naruto the 5 basic elements. Each of them had a bonus toward others and a weakness toward the others, kinda like simplified satanic elements or whatever that tree is. It's sure a bit overly extrapolated but it's a very good strategical viewpoint. There still exister higher tiers where you could make up for the weakness with extra power level. It's a complex system that a game needs. So some fantasy games can use mechanics that are not realistic but make good balancing. Sure, if it can be realistic as well, then is even better. On top of that, it had the chakra types and the fighting styles, which all had a good balance and intricate combinations.

I mean it's just dumb when people think that fire arrows were even a thing, looks better maybe but doesn't make any sense, an arrow flying that fast won't be able to burn.
Jason refuses to add magical elements but force fields prevent you to enter a biome and your melatonin levels prevent you to advance in tech.

I don't know man, I just don't see how words can hurt you, they are just words, if you are being logical, you already know if something is true or not, if they try to verbally abuse you, say something better. I don't like people who get offended at everything and can't take a joke. I mean there are over the line words, like calling someone a Kebab, that's not funny at all but I also don't see how it offends anyone.

Like back at home  I was in a different city and people were like "you got a weird accent, where you from" like in a derogatory way. Then when I asked that if they ever left the country in their life they didn't even know what to answer cause apparently they don't know the difference anyway. You just show your own stupidity when you don't know about things and got these extremist beliefs, like if you would born in a different place you would believe the total opposite and think the opposite way? Both things can't be true. If you don't see things objectively then what's the point on forcing your "truth" on others?
If someone is easily offended that's their problem, not mine, and if they hate me for it I troll the shit out of them, will help them down the line to cope with it.

So yeah, if people are offended by the word "nigga' it's a good coping strategy to just own the word and loses its derogatory meaning plus it rhymes with anything tongue. If you don't like something change it if you can't change it accept it. It can't hurt, only if you chose to hurt you.

Board footer