I want to try it out !

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#2 2020-03-27 22:16:08

sigmen4020

Re: Are you excited about the update ?

10 hungry work for 1 iron is real exciting

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#3 2020-03-27 22:18:34

Elsayal

It's not the only thing that is updated wink
There will be some tension when you go out in the wilderness, right ? It sounds good to me !

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#4 2020-03-27 22:25:56

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

I would like there to be bats to increase the danger, but maybe that's for another day!

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#5 2020-03-27 22:28:36

Coconut Fruit

Yes, I am excited.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#6 2020-03-27 23:15:42

DestinyCall

I expect full-on Hunger Games.   I have my popcorn ready.

#7 2020-03-27 23:25:15

testo

Poor shitty update with full food/iron nerf but not actual content. May as well cut all the food to 0.75 actual value and make food spoil after half an hour. But I guess this is easier. The problem for me is pleasing the small crowd of survavilists while adding nothing to civilization building. Instead of going forward we are going back to the stone age and nomads (As a society we actually became a whole nomad tribe moving west if you didnt notice).

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#8 2020-03-27 23:48:36

voy178

I wish we concentrated more on true city building. Like the real one with individual homes + artisan workshop combos. I guess the new update will make us more dedicated to hunting seeing how we'll both need to rid ourselves of boars, bears and wolves around the settlement for security as well as for the early food (wild carnitas are actually quite solid) and clothing. Anyone going out in the wilderness will need a backpack to be efficient so hunting rabbits will be a very important job early on.

#9 2020-03-27 23:53:43

Morti

I'm just glad I've seen Jason talk about these changes in the forum, and then seen them in onetech's unreleased content, so I could mentally prepare for the change ahead of time. Though, that's not going to give us an indication of where the next 'butter knife' is going to be, and how to deal with that. For that we'd have to go through the github data and look at what's, really, been changed, or, ignored.

I know there are still some, potentially, game changing aspects that people have mentioned, like fug and the 'snow forts'. I'm a little reluctant to bring it up, because, it will be changed, but being able to build a house from a single bank of snow, which has the potential to save a lot of food, given the near perfect balance of temperature inside, is pretty OP. But, average players aren't as keen on the relationship between temp and hunger. Nearly every life I still get picked up routinely by the fire by people who clearly are not considering my temp and food meters. They don't look at me and instinctually feel the clock stretch with each piece of clothing, proximity to heat source, or within the closed walls of a room.

When one of the biggest problems in the game is firewood being turned into kindling, because people don't want to take the time to collect branches, a key renewable resource in this game. They don't want to turn branches, into charcoal and use that to reset the fire via charcoal powder - no one does that, but it gives off a lot more heat, for a lot longer, than just throwing kindling onto the fire. It's a comparable amount of heat for a comparable amount of time, to firewood, and the branches are free forever, whereas cutting trees costs food...

It's going to be rough. I really hope those of you who understand these things, remain kind, and act quick.

Chuck the berries from wild bushes out and get those timers reset and make a lot, A LOT, A LOT! more bowls and pouches. The world, is going to need them.

Keep those branches growing.

#10 2020-03-28 01:27:37

pein

If we would have a solid system with outputs based on tech, and possibly more steps than now, time and work would matter more compared to efficient usage. So if you would have some water income each hour, food could decay (and reused for compost maybe). That would make working more important and storing less important (maybe if it increases the decay timer if you store in cold or some fridge).

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2020-03-28 02:50:44

testo

The real problem here is a big nerf with exaclty zero help to counter. Since this is a social game, the biggest and most annoying "flaw" is how hard it is to comunicate ingame. Not only how to do stuff to new people, but even for people with some knowledge it is not obvious how to coordinate. It takes 10 to fifteen minutes to teach someone how to soil and water a berry bush and another 10 to fifteen to teach and explain him why he shouldn´t be eating domestic berries in the first place. God bless you if you manage someone to eat pies or stew instead of mass picking berries from the farm.

But the worst part of the poor comunication are more likely the "self learners". That guy that starts making pieces for an engine while you have almost no steel and when you confont him he comes back "lol noob we need an engine for water" while you are trying to point out there is not enough iron for an engine for starters and no oil either. Or the guy that starts chasing you because you light the oven to cook those 7 pies trying to save the town from famine "nooo wait I need to make more... why did you cook my pies I need to make twenty to cook them". Unfortunately self learning in BS2 is just hurting everyone around. You made everything to make "icecream!!!" but you did´t get sugar because you are not brown. And I won´t talk about people using the newcomen hammer or roller and let it go unused because they didn´t know to light the forge first.

All that is related to the real hardship in this game, teaching and learning. Food nerf? Iron nerf? Its the same to each and everyone of these survivalists, they will just carry more pies around while every new player just dies clueless of how to get water with 4 full cisterns around.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#12 2020-03-28 04:48:21

pein

man I was teaching lil girl to eat  pie and stew, like 40 minutes

I caught her at the nearby desert, like 40 tiles away, sent her home cause she wanted to get a basket of soil, told her we can make soil at home.
Made a compost then gave her pack, and showed where the pies are and how to eat and store it, then how to take out a bowl of stew and eat it. She was already giving up on it and had to tell her multiple times like she already had kids and stuff and she was almost old when she finally was confident doing it

and that's just eating it, not even making it, not even sure if she understood why is better to eat it when I was explaining she kept eating berries

one time we had a city shifted from a desert edge to green, was before temp update, some parts looked weird.
I was bored so I took a chef hat then grabbed a lil miss and started teaching her how to stew
first I was making clay crocks, then showed her once, showed it again but told her to do things, the third time she alone
4 crocks in total. She was damn cute teaching her newborn kiddo even if we didn't have any crocks left.

I think worst was when some guy converted the only tank and assembled the engine, it was before the rubber usage so you just had to empty the newcomen. But him using up that empty tank left us with no iron and no tank so we couldn't empty the Newcomen but he had to assemble tht dam parts cause reeeeee , engine.

I guess I will play tomorrow, make a pork pen with a nursery, but probably I bail out on my family and just make a new place.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2020-03-28 05:51:57

Coconut Fruit

I guess I'm not excited anymore. We only have 2 iron mines per town and I'm not sure if we can use other ones.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#14 2020-03-28 06:15:22

fug

It's going to be a mess of an update for the sake of muh scarcity.

This is another one of those hamfisted updates trying to force people to do certain things without actually considering other aspects of the game. Friendly reminder you can waste 6+ steel at one time if you're going to troll via this update due to https://onetech.info/2376-Diesel-Piston-Head

As of currently the math lines up to each town having 28 spare steel to do the entire oil grind (all the extra pipes based off the rng), to make replacement tools if you lose any, and for tanks you'll need for water/kerosene. If you remove the steel for an extra diesel engine (which you're expected to make for diesel mining L O FUCKING L) you've cut yourself down to 11 total iron to do the oil rig rng grind.

The good new is you can harvest two pieces freely from each vein you run to. Have fun doing this as it'll be absolutely required to play the game in tomorrows patch.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#15 2020-03-28 08:14:41

Dodge

fug wrote:

The good new is you can harvest two pieces freely from each vein you run to.

You cant https://edge.onetech.info/942-Muddy-Iro … ement40-40

Have to build a well site first to make the https://edge.onetech.info/7121-Loose-Mu … ryHomeland but only one well site per lineage count has anchoring site and reveals iron.

#16 2020-03-28 08:15:20

DestinyCall

False Alarm, folks.  There is no good news.  lol

#17 2020-03-28 08:28:44

fug

Ahh so you're expected to get all the tech done with 11 spare steel without anyone "misplacing it"

Later today is going to be an absolute shit show.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#18 2020-03-28 09:01:52

Gogo
Banned

Yes, I am excited about incoming chaos.

#19 2020-03-28 11:58:01

Elsayal

Damn I can't wait big_smile
I'm sure it would be hard, and then maybe need some adjustement, but anyway, let's first practise and find out !
Jason, when will the update be live ? big_smile

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#20 2020-03-28 13:54:22

Twisted

If the update goes out as it is now it will be a complete and total disaster.

#21 2020-03-28 14:07:36

Elsayal

Nah, don't be scared, I'm sure you can manage.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#22 2020-03-28 15:08:14

DestinyCall

I fully expect this update to be right up there with the Rift in terms of playability.    Not as bad as temperature update where we were dying non-stop until Jason pushed out fixes, but the combination of nerfed wild food and restricted iron access and the animal changes will shake up the current meta enough to cause major chaos and widespread disaster as some people try to find ways to make it viable, other people have fun intentionally wasting iron, and Jason adjusts the iron balance after the fact until it reaches a new equilibrium state.

It won't be completely unplayable, because iron scarcity doesn't kill you directly.   Many players will continue to play as they always have and not understand why we are freaking out about iron when the village still has enough to make basic tools.  Other players will put out maximum effort to secure more iron and keep the village alive, but struggle to make progress due to bad RNG, race restrictions, and general ignorance of how the new system works.   And of course some folks will enjoy spreading the chaos and death everywhere they go because killing off towns will now be much easier and more rewarding.

#23 2020-03-29 08:55:49

DestinyCall

Ah dang.   I forgot to predict that the initial version would include at least one game-breaking bug, as is traditional for all major updates.

#24 2020-03-30 03:50:31

AlzWell

THE BEARS

Board footer