One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-03-25 02:22:28

Legs

Re: Big change incoming: animal attacks can happen on non-empty tiles

DestinyCall wrote:

But I like bears.   

Do we really want to live in a world without majestic bears wandering in the wilds?   That hardly feels like living.

Reminder to disregard known griefers like this.

They deserve a permanent ban in donkey town.

Loco Motion

#27 2020-03-25 02:53:43

Cogito

jasonrohrer wrote:

Also on the list this week:

A wearable quiver that you can click with the bow in hand to reload....

Wooo! does this replace a backpack, or in addition to?

jasonrohrer wrote:

But it's not like having bears running around the town was pleasant before, even though there were safe places to stand.

Unless you're saying that the town was so cluttered that there was no place for the bear to even enter?

Safe places to stand afford you time to deal with the bear, while still doing other things. If nowhere is safe it's a high stress environment for everybody until the bears are dealt with. Especially as an Eve, it gave you time to try and craft arrows while still feeding children and keeping the fire going. In a large town it gives you time to find the bow and arrow, and to talk to other people. If there are no safe spots then you won't have time to chat.

I think it will be good, but the potential for griefing is high.

jasonrohrer wrote:

If bear attacks are common, people can use fences around their towns to protect themselves, right?

The issue will be people luring them into town, more than anything else. Causing the bear to spawn and then setting them on the town.

#28 2020-03-25 03:07:55

antking:]#

DestinyCall wrote:
antking:]# wrote:

Ahh don't worry to much as long as bears don't respawn in caves (thank you Rift) eventually all bears will be hunted into extinction

But I like bears.   

Do we really want to live in a world without majestic bears wandering in the wilds?   That hardly feels like living.

(propaganda radio has turned on)
Well just join the BPM or Bear Pacifist Movement

We (just me but it sounds better if I have friends) believe that violence is the incorrect  way to deal with Bears, as Bears have the right of life, so we lure them into safe camps where they can't harm us but more importantly we stop poachers, don't worry our facilities are JRA (Jason Rohrer Approved).

If you want to help out our movement please leave a berry in the box bellow every donation counts
(No Bears were harmed in this auditory presentation)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#29 2020-03-25 04:02:51

DestinyCall

Legs wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

But I like bears.   

Reminder to disregard known griefers like this.

They deserve a permanent ban in donkey town.

I believe in humane bear husbandry.     We can co-exist in this world, if we just give bears a chance. 

And make a lot of pads.

#30 2020-03-25 04:54:12

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

If bear attacks are common, people can use fences around their towns to protect themselves, right?

No.  Towns might not exist, and fences can decay also, and towns sometimes get restarted by resettlement.  Fences are not a solution to the problem of bears in general.  Only species extinction of all local bears works.

Morti wrote:

Funny guy.

I don't see what's funny here.  Bears only become dangerous to a town, because of at least one player interacting with a bear den *and* because of them getting lured to a town (I'm assuming that towns aren't getting set up near enough to the badlands).  A player touching a bear den once might be accidental or due to innocent exploration, but commonality of bear attacks implies at least one, if not several players not trying to parent, build civilization, or play for their survival/others survival also AND actively trying to inhibit players trying to do so.  Jason's question suggests that he dismisses players that release bears to inhibit other players as them doing anything wrong which isn't consistent with trying to make "a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building".

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#31 2020-03-25 10:07:36

Morti

Jungle road, take me home, to the place, wh-
ah shit!
Fuckin mosquitos!

#32 2020-03-25 10:36:50

Elsayal

It will put more pressure on milkweed, I hope quiver will not use a full rope :s

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#33 2020-03-25 11:29:59

voy178

If people are paranoid about bear attacks then they should build more buildings. Bears can't open doors as of yet. Jason has done such a marvellous job with decluttering a lot of things that building more designated buildings should be completely viable.

Property fences are kinda ugly, but towns with regular expensive fences or stone walls look great. I wish Jason would add a gate-like structure that acts like the property gate would but for the well-owning family.

#34 2020-03-25 12:56:11

Amon

Maybe if bears didn't linger for almost forever it would be more tolerable. Feeding them meats is now quite a lot more dangerous of an activity now.
It would be more tolerable.

It feels like wolf farms will be a hella lot more dangerous now as well.
Would there be any chance to have users craft something to lower the danger of such an activity to compensate for added difficulty?
Like crafting muzzles or padded armours?

Last edited by Amon (2020-03-25 12:57:29)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#35 2020-03-25 16:14:48

Karrots

Aw. This was one of those bugs I hoped would never get fixed. It's made defending against griefers so much easier.

#36 2020-03-25 16:40:55

Spoonwood

Karrots wrote:

Aw. This was one of those bugs I hoped would never get fixed. It's made defending against griefers so much easier.

If bear dens were changed or didn't exist, domestic boars weren't deadly, and pitbulls never became mean, how would you feel about this change?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#37 2020-03-25 20:42:36

Kinrany

jasonrohrer wrote:

A wearable quiver that you can click with the bow in hand to reload....

Backpacks work well enough as quivers. What's missing is the ability to "craft" without having an empty tile on the ground. Having a secondary hand is still the obvious solution!

The question is, how does one represent one primary and one secondary hand in a game with no inventory slot UI?

#38 2020-03-25 20:50:36

Roosty knife

AUUcYFQiHws.jpg

Makin' Bacon Burritos.

#39 2020-03-25 21:06:05

Ilka

I think that supporters of this change use a mode that predicts animal movements.
Or maybe Jason will show us how to kill a bear without using mods (and dev rights).
Seriously, I'd love to see a movie how you deal with it.
Finally, there will be something fun.

#40 2020-03-25 22:19:54

Elsayal

Ilka wrote:

I think that supporters of this change use a mode that predicts animal movements.
Or maybe Jason will show us how to kill a bear without using mods (and dev rights).
Seriously, I'd love to see a movie how you deal with it.
Finally, there will be something fun.

I think it's easy to do.
But you can still die in the process. You have to stay calm : if you fail you don't only waste some kindling like when you are forging.
I haven't try with a quiver for now.

I wonder how hard it is to kill a Bear in real life with 3 arrows.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#41 2020-03-25 23:39:44

DestinyCall

Elsayal wrote:

Depends on the type of bear.   I bet koalas are pretty easy.

#42 2020-03-26 01:33:30

pein

Living in the country with most bears in Europe, we even got a saying that "women are not men, beer is not alcohol, the bear is not a toy" big_smile
It takes quite a few shots to kill a bear, they won't even go down from several chest shots, they are still able to chase you down after it, a wounded bear or one that defends its cubs can kill you in no time, or mess you up for the rest of your life. You can run but they can actually follow you downhill by rolling after you, so you either run sideways or pretend that you are dead. A bear on 2 feet can be huge, more than 3 meters high and quite heavy so you won't wrestle them. They are not all that aggressive, they eat mostly fruit and other stuff but they also eat meat when they need to, lot of them go into the city to scavenge in dumpsters, but if you piss them off then you better run. And better not mess around their territory.

There is no chance you would kill a bear with arrows, as I said, they survive easily chest shots, if they are on 4 legs it's under them and they got a thick skin and fat layer, if they are on 2 feet, it's already too late. They might die eventually but it might take more than a day and doesn't really affect their movement, it even makes them mad. Maybe if you shot them in the eye all through the brain but I doubt you can aim that well for a moving target.

Last edited by pein (2020-03-26 01:36:28)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#43 2020-03-26 01:55:42

1%Spacebar

DestinyCall wrote:

Depends on the type of bear.   I bet koalas are pretty easy.

Koalas aren't bears. Drop bears, on the other hand..

oh boy *munch munch* these berry bushes *munch munch* are dying. i hope *munch munch* someone will water them

#44 2020-03-26 02:24:47

DestinyCall

If you go hunting drop bears, you better bring a bazooka.   Those bastards will mess you up right proper.

#45 2020-03-26 15:38:28

Ilka

Elsayal wrote:

I think it's easy to do.
But you can still die in the process. You have to stay calm : if you fail you don't only waste some kindling like when you are forging.
I haven't try with a quiver for now.

I think that of course you can do it, although I have a 50% chance of success (I don't have very good reflexes).
However, I would like to see Jason do it.
I think that would be fun.

DestinyCall wrote:

If you go hunting drop bears, you better bring a bazooka.   Those bastards will mess you up right proper.

I read that in the Middle Ages real hardcore men hunted bears with a pitchfork and ax.
It was a pvp, quite equal chances for both sides.
Maybe bring it to Ohol?

#46 2020-03-26 16:16:23

antking:]#

Na a bow and arrow could never kill a bear... a bears hide is too tough, I think that we have gotten to used to our modern arsenal to understand the true terror a bear can be... bears are big, really big and their strong, but their also silent so they can easily snek up on you, while not very fast they can still out run a human if time calls for it. bears can also climb (they have a pretty unfair arsinal)

Now we all have probably shot bows in games, but in real life its freking hard to shoot a bow the bow its a life long tool, you have to be using it your entire life to start being really good at it, that's why most medieval armies had hundreds of bow men, because the chance that any of their arrows would hit were really really low

SO because it takes longer to load and shoot an arrow then with a gun the bear would be on you by know and will stand on its hind legs, and
A. try to swip you with its claws= high chance of death as it will break ribs and possibly spinal cord and because its the good old days no one will come to get you
or
B. try to crush you under its massive body= Fatal  it will break all the bones in your body, the air will be conked out of you and high chance for organ damage

Now if your able to survive that you better hope that one of your arrows is not only able to pierce the skin but also hit something important (which it will probably not due to how big these things are)
and if your abele to kill it without dying, you better hope that it isn't with other bears like they usually are with during spring and summer

Bears are scary and in real life the only really way to effectively kill a bear with primative weapons is to attack a bear in  a group which no one ever did because it was a bear, and their were hundreds of easer things to kill besides a bear, that's why we don't have any bear meat based recipes any where in the world.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#47 2020-03-27 14:09:52

Elsayal

Does the quiver take the place of backpack or can we wear both of them ?

In first case, I will always chose backpack over quiver, since you can put one extra thing in the backpack (like a rope to get the sheep, or a pie to sustain in moutain)

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#48 2020-03-27 14:39:31

Legs

The bow is a large item, you'd have to carry it in your hand anyway. Might as well carry an arrow on it. That leaves two in your pack, with space for two extra items.

Going hunting with no emergency food just seems foolish. Especially since biomes with dangerous animals are also ones without wild foods. I don't see much use for a quiver over the backpack.

Loco Motion

#49 2020-03-27 16:09:22

Coconut Fruit

Quiver will be usefull against bears attacks in towns, but not necessarily useful in hunting outside of town (unless hunting bears).

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#50 2020-03-27 16:50:15

DestinyCall

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Quiver will be usefull against bears attacks in towns, but not necessarily useful in hunting outside of town (unless hunting bears).

Or people.

Board footer