One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-19 17:29:32

Aurora Aurora

There’s nothing to write about anymore

I’ve played a few lives since my return and wow.. can I just say how absolutely boring and bland it is?

The first life I got accused and killed for being a pedo when I simply asked to adopt an AFK woman’s child.

The other lives I got completely ignored when I tried to talk to somebody.

Jason has shifted this more and more towards the technical aspects of the game instead of the story driven parts. The fun thing about OHOL was that every life was different, there was a new story to tell each time.
Now it’s just be born, work your ass off, have a few kids and die. No fucking wonder I see nobody posting their life stories anymore, because there’s no life to be lived.

Updates which would seem to cater towards the role playing crowd do the complete opposite, language breaks the communication, the new family system makes it so you always spawn at the same place and the new murder system removes all tension and drama.

Jason, if you’re reading this, add marriages, add things for children, props, businesses, merchants, roleplay clothes, anything that for once will bring some sense of life and storytelling back into the game.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#2 2020-03-19 17:48:56

Spoonwood

Re: There’s nothing to write about anymore

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Jason has shifted this more and more towards the technical aspects of the game instead of the story driven parts.  The fun thing about OHOL was that every life was different, there was a new story to tell each time.

This is another reason that fatherhood should exist, and other than maybe the first child of a woman (the trailer says that the second person *on the server* is a baby so maybe not even that since the server has existed for a while), all children should have to require speech between players.  Getting born as a baby is boring in comparison to courtship.  And I would guess that the stories would be different at least sometimes, with possible rejection or silly people wanting a rose or something before she says 'yes'.

Also, looking around and finding that you had a father and mother is a lot more interesting than just having a mother.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-03-19 17:51:41

Aurora Aurora

Spoonwood wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

Jason has shifted this more and more towards the technical aspects of the game instead of the story driven parts.  The fun thing about OHOL was that every life was different, there was a new story to tell each time.

This is another reason that fatherhood should exist, and other than maybe the first child of a woman (the trailer says that the second person *on the server* is a baby so maybe not even that since the server has existed for a while), all children should have to require speech between players.  Getting born as a baby is boring in comparison to courtship.  And I would guess that the stories would be different at least sometimes, with possible rejection or silly people wanting a rose or something before she says 'yes'.

Also, looking around and finding that you had a father and mother is a lot more interesting than just having a mother.

Fatherhood is something I advocated heavily for in 2018 but Jason put a big fat no on that but gave us adoption so I am happy with it. He also said he didn't want reproduction as that would make the game sexual in nature which I am okay with. I just wish there were more roleplay things to do, like getting married, which is something I used to be known for doing.

#4 2020-03-19 18:04:33

Spoonwood

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Fatherhood is something I advocated heavily for in 2018 but Jason put a big fat no on that but gave us adoption so I am happy with it.

Huh?  I think the players called something 'adoption', but neither the game, nor the family trees acknowledge such in any way.

Aurora Aurora wrote:

He also said he didn't want reproduction as that would make the game sexual in nature which I am okay with.

The game has forced reproduction as it stands, since players don't have to consent to anything to have a child.  They just don't have to move out of the radius of a well.  Sexual reproduction could always require consent of players.

Danish Clinch.

#5 2020-03-19 18:07:00

Spoonwood

Aurora Aurora wrote:

He also said he didn't want reproduction as that would make the game sexual in nature which I am okay with.

Also, the game's "model" of parenting has been and remains shallow since the family tree structure only has it so that one sex has children.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2020-03-19 18:14:06

Coconut Fruit

Aurora Aurora wrote:

and the new murder system removes all tension and drama.

I'm unhappy with this new murder system too. Even tho I never murder griefed, I liked some drama from time to time. It was the best at stage where you could kill someone with no countdown IMO.

Killing whole family by another family? I also see nothing bad in this. Just make pads and you can defend much better than attackers, so this isn't even an issue. Right now nobody even makes red cross aprons, because there is no reason to make them.

Forcing us to play in one particular way isn't very interesting.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#7 2020-03-19 18:20:41

fug

Aurora stay away from spoon or he's going to start reeing all over the thread.

Combat got gutted because the war sword was incredibly overpowered and needed gutting but instead he added the abomination that is now our new system.

Language got added because people were all living together in clusters because we had no reason not to share (still the case about the sharing part.)

I'd say people don't talk as much anymore because we're constantly stuck in a loop of either getting rubber, getting oil, or redoing the oil grind. Literally 1% of accounts have ever drilled or done the oil grind which means the same small group of people are making sure to keep towns alive.

There's a real fine balance between things being "REEE ROLEPLAYERS EATING BERRIES" and the game being too "easy" which is hard to keep in tune.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#8 2020-03-19 21:18:07

The_Anabaptist

fug wrote:

I'd say people don't talk as much anymore because we're constantly stuck in a loop of either getting rubber, getting oil, or redoing the oil grind. Literally 1% of accounts have ever drilled or done the oil grind which means the same small group of people are making sure to keep towns alive.

Sounds like it is a fine time for the 1% to organize a day (or week) and simply refuse the grind.  Let the masses learn what "fun" is or isn't.

The_Anabaptist

Last edited by The_Anabaptist (2020-03-19 21:18:25)

#9 2020-03-19 21:32:07

pein

spoonwood goes to 0 to fatherhood in any thread

that's weird, I don't see people working at all, not after the first few hours, not a single job to give to kids generally
water is always an issue but not like you can solve it if you didn't born that way so even veterans give up the rush for a life if there is no real information about the map

might have affected roleplay, but I guess it's more of a population issue and the fact that 30% of the content got split up unequally

I mean it could be some non-critical jobs that are important but allow people to do it while talking, like time-based jobs, research or machine operating or laundry

I guess you get punished cause of the new posse and curse mechanics, you always borderline griefing, pissing off people left and right

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2020-03-19 21:42:41

MrGold

Lol killed for being called a pedo? Did some old lady try to save you because i did to someone else who was called a pedo but intense lag did not let me heal so much drama i ended calling her a bitch and getting cursed and was exiled XD

Im Mr.Gold I /hmph

#11 2020-03-19 21:52:48

Aurora Aurora

MrGold wrote:

Lol killed for being called a pedo? Did some old lady try to save you because i did to someone else who was called a pedo but intense lag did not let me heal so much drama i ended calling her a bitch and getting cursed and was exiled XD

Yeah, I got halfway healed by an old lady and died.

#12 2020-03-19 22:36:10

Morti

Aurora, new people are testing out the game almost every day.

Stick around, have fun with them. Give it time for it to become a part of people's experience.

You can do anything you want. Just, spice up an activity, maybe? You can be a farmer, and a lover, or, make some kind of food that people don't often make and, dish it out to people while you talk to them. I remember, you did things, in between talking to people. New people have gotten into all sorts of routines and they've never been explained.

Sorry I haven't stuck around any towns today, I've been working on a long road.

--

Just keep in mind, this game is a blank slate, we make it what it is for us.
Try to make it a little more the way you want it to be.
Keep at it.

Even if the 5 people that play and are dumbass workaholics, don't pick up on it, the other 30-90 people will.
Just have fun. Stay warm, play with the yum mechanic, try to get 13 different types of foods in you, in a row and live a long and interesting life.

#13 2020-03-19 22:48:08

Morti

Some times I wish this game could be started over without any of us around.

Just a clean slate a brand new audience of people to make heads or tails of it.

There are a lot of good things that could come of this game, that we're missing out on, because of habits we've gotten into, and disagreements about the way things ought, to be. Disagreements between the players, and between the players and Jason, have kinda soured things. We could use something fun and, unexpected, to balance things out.

#14 2020-03-20 00:03:43

antking:]#

pein wrote:

might have affected roleplay, but I guess it's more of a population issue and the fact that 30% of the content got split up unequally

I mean it could be some non-critical jobs that are important but allow people to do it while talking, like time-based jobs, research or machine operating or laundry

I would love to see these types of repetitive jobs, while some people say OH their boring I find that repetitive yet simple jobs are the best as you can spend more time socializing and you can mass produce something.... also these tasks are easer to understand for a new player

examples in game are (all subjective): berry farming, papermaking, pottery, and rabbit tarping(not so much anymore)

but what else could their be... we could have laundry, add a decay timer for fancy clothing, but be able to reset the timer by washing clothing, or worm breeder where you put worms in bowls of soil, and watch them grow, or maybe even dish washing, after a plate or bowl is used it gains the quality dirty, which can be cleaned, butter making with a butter press (turns a whole milk bucket into butter)

I think overall maintenance, jobs would be good simple, and drama worthy (being a maid but refusing to do A,B, or C because of D)

However the point about research made me think... what if their we needed to research and learn, lets through out race restrictions, and instead the way of slowing down progression is through learning…

Such as the eve tree (things eve's need to get a town up and running), and farm tree (what a developing town needs to learn how to farm), Industry tree (what a town needs to get to steam pumps), and advanced tree (oil, cars, radio ext.)
and that once a family learned apart of the tree the entire family learns it, eventually people will have access to all the trees through study and time

But I don't know how studying would work, would it just be some 30 year old dude on the lab table, mumbling to himself, or something that comes overtime with doing new recipes sort of like recipes= family points

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#15 2020-03-20 00:15:26

Jamie

I think maybe it's the Homeland update. Used to be that everybody would merge into one big city. You probably should have come back anfew months earlier.

#16 2020-03-20 01:40:11

Gogo
Banned

There's no fatherhood simply because without DNA tests no one is sure if he's a father or his wife cheated on him. tongue

Couple days ago I've seen brown guy married to white chick, but yeah not much rp anymore. I wanna us to stay longer in one place, build up towns and roleplay more. sad I was a traveller since day1 homesick update, cuz I had feeling without resources we would be fucked. I'm exhausted of being traveller… I wanna settle down, I wanna towns to live longer. hmm We should make more rubber from one bucket, more oil from one pump.

#17 2020-03-21 12:32:28

AmyJ

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this. I've barely played the last few months and when I do, it's usually just the one life, whereas I used to play hours at a time.

I've never griefed myself, but I used to love trying to combat other griefers and figure out who the killer was when bodies started appearing, it added some excitement. Now lives are almost always completely monotonous, just the usual farming and smithing and cooking.

I don't feel nearly as connected to family members as I used to back when the game first came out and for quite a few months after. The game's just become dull.

#18 2020-03-21 15:13:25

Morti

AmyJ wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this. I've barely played the last few months and when I do, it's usually just the one life, whereas I used to play hours at a time.

I've never griefed myself, but I used to love trying to combat other griefers and figure out who the killer was when bodies started appearing, it added some excitement. Now lives are almost always completely monotonous, just the usual farming and smithing and cooking.

I don't feel nearly as connected to family members as I used to back when the game first came out and for quite a few months after. The game's just become dull.

As much as I love to watch us working like ants, or bees, in a hive, I also love to catch glimpses of peculiar conversations that some of you have in your down time.

While showing myself to be, one of the more productive villagers, I have often responded to people who have attempted to strike up conversations, with, such retorts as "Just work." "Please don't stand around so much/ you are wasting food." and much shorter replies that may have seemed I was attempting to discourage conversation. But I want you to be there with us. I work so that everyone can exist, work, and afford the time to communicate with each other. For me, a big part of that communication, is visual. I watch what people are working on, and try to compliment what they are doing, by aiding them, before they even need to ask. Like gathering kindling, for smiths and bakers, the moment I see someone approach those objects, so that their job, is that much easier. That has always been my preferred form of communication in game, but I know some of you just like to talk more, that it's, more enjoyable, for you to work things out, and to play more games of words; to joke, to compliment, and even to find amusement, in confusion.

I enjoy reading your discussions, almost as much as I enjoy providing for the family, so we can have them. We have lived so many lives together, and nearly half of that time I have been male, so, there would have been no telling me apart from anyone else, by, any sort of engagement witnessed with my children. But, just as I have picked up on some of you, from life to life, by your habits, perhaps you have seen me and recognized mine. Connecting who we are, inside and outside of the game, is another matter. I just mean recognizing people from life to life. We tend to repeat the things we enjoy, the things we are good at, like the person that loves making stew, making sauerkraut, french fries, omelettes or wine.

I sure do miss those wine moms.

Or that person who insists, that flooding the town in baked potatoes, is a good thing.

But the best way to recognize people, always seems to be by their choice of words. Some of you have said things to me that have brought me to tears.
Others always upset me, like the person that multistakes the ends of the roads and tells me they know what they are doing, and walk away, just as I start explaining to them, why it's a little less efficient use of time, then just using one stake.

When I pick up on who you are, from one life to the next, one family to the next, it's often a little awkward, but it's generally pleasant even if we fought in the last life, over thread, for wool or rabbit fur, or about how you suspect people of intentionally griefing, because of the way they eat berries. Before the gene thing, I used to even enjoy saying things to people, even though I knew it would make them so mad they'd want to kill me, be reborn to the same town, befriend the person that killed me, and then just before they died of old age, drop hints, that I was young man that they killed. Sometimes they picked up on it, and would ask, other times, they'd stand in silence, realizing, who it was that they had just enjoyed interacting with.

Really strange situations, are possible in this game. A big part of the reason, I like working with roads and horses so much, is so that I can travel across the world, to engage with my sons and daughters, to see the people they become, when they no longer think I am around. To see if I can even recognize who you are, by your life-to-life habits, or even, if I recognize, who you may be, from this forum.

So, Aurora, when you say there are not things to write about, I can't say that I agree with that. The more time people spend together, the more there will always be to write about. Whether it's interesting or not, depends on the readers, just as much as the story tellers. It depends on the audience. Not all audiences, are the same. Especially not ones divided by generations of culture, which can be difficult to grasp for people, at any stage, between birth, and death.

#19 2020-03-21 16:48:22

JonySky
Website

Morti, do you remember the stories that were explained in this forum?
Remember the Missed Connections post ?: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=710
Remember how alive this forum was?

The forum is a reflection of the game, the game has become boring, repetitive and without stories.

I also played OHOL several hours a week, now I haven't been in for months

it's simple ... if a game fails to generate stories and challenges, it is not attractive to the public

#20 2020-03-21 17:44:05

JackTreehorn

I agree the game has become very boring.
Since the rift there has been no raiding, no town walls and guards.
Since the murder update there has been hardly any murders inside town.
Murderers run slow outside town so killing outside is also nonviable.

I enjoyed the element of not knowing who to trust and building trust with one or two individuals.
raiding and defending against raids were a big part of why I enjoyed playing.

Once we have learnt how to make everything and have seen the towns grow big, it often feels pointless.

My unpopular opinion on how to fix these issues would be:
1. Throw us back into a new rift however make it twice the size of the last rift. Perhaps have water on both east and west walls. An endgame tech could be a boat to travel to the other side. Each rift could have a week timer before it gets reset. (to bring back resource scarcity and raiding)
2. Turn off the murderer slow for murderers outside of town. (to bring back raiding on the open road.)
3. Change the posse number for murderers inside town so that one person can still kill but still has the slow (to bring back disputes in town and murders to solve.)

These changes would bring back several things which have been missing from the game.
1. The sense of danger lurking outside the city walls.
2. Loot and resources having some value.
3. The community bond to see some towns survive and others die. (Remember hammer town and how we beat the rift.)

Eve Audette

#21 2020-03-21 18:06:13

pein

antking:]# wrote:
pein wrote:

I would love to see these types of repetitive jobs, while some people say OH their boring I find that repetitive yet simple jobs are the best as you can spend more time socializing and you can mass produce something.... also these tasks are easer to understand for a new player

examples in game are (all subjective): berry farming, papermaking, pottery, and rabbit tarping(not so much anymore)

but what else could their be... we could have laundry, add a decay timer for fancy clothing, but be able to reset the timer by washing clothing, or worm breeder where you put worms in bowls of soil, and watch them grow, or maybe even dish washing, after a plate or bowl is used it gains the quality dirty, which can be cleaned, butter making with a butter press (turns a whole milk bucket into butter)

I think overall maintenance, jobs would be good simple, and drama worthy (being a maid but refusing to do A,B, or C because of D)

However the point about research made me think... what if their we needed to research and learn, lets through out race restrictions, and instead the way of slowing down progression is through learning…

Such as the eve tree (things eve's need to get a town up and running), and farm tree (what a developing town needs to learn how to farm), Industry tree (what a town needs to get to steam pumps), and advanced tree (oil, cars, radio ext.)
and that once a family learned apart of the tree the entire family learns it, eventually people will have access to all the trees through study and time

But I don't know how studying would work, would it just be some 30 year old dude on the lab table, mumbling to himself, or something that comes overtime with doing new recipes sort of like recipes= family points

since the time is limited, would be wasteful even to stand in place 2-3 minutes to advance, but if t would be an overall max 30 sec of work (animation time) then it could be considered 1 unit of time. You feed your baby and do that job then repeat and feed again. Kinda feels weird when people complain on workers like they keep you alive and you leech on them, what is survival when others produce the food you eat? Mostly because there is no downside for not working, so it's basically pretending to be a newbee and you get away with it, the game has no pressure at all to individuals and they still complain that is too hard to live in a city. So yeah, static jobs could be good for people who just talk and do nothing.

If the products of this kind of jobs wouldn't mix with other items, that would create a new economy, those resources could not be consumed (or maybe for time-limited bonuses) and could apply skills on them. So it wouldn't change the basic survival, just the economy. When you could survive and have time, population, you could use the time to make them and get rewards only obtainable by them.

Some researches could be like max 2x30 sec study on it but need 10 people to do it, others could be like total 10 minutes on it whoever does it.
Also some skills could be built up, like choose one out of 8 lines, the more you do it do more you produce and faster, but a limit of like 3 minutes to be good at it and then you can half the timing from 30 to 15 so people don't overdo it. Or limited by tech, you need 10 "diamonds" or whatever to advance but more than that has no value, maybe acts as a resource for another tier of special resources.
So one family could do furniture and the other could do special clothing, even if it cosmetics, it could be used as step stones to other techs, which would not care about what the item is, just about the number produced.I really miss some military tech tree where people can challenge others and use skill to combat and wager resources.

Eras could be also fun. The era limits would be producing and trading enough items, then you could advance and get new tech which can be used by the members of the family only (maybe even limit that you cannot transport it outside the current city +-100 where was made of)

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#22 2020-03-21 18:45:14

Spoonwood

JackTreHorn wrote:

I enjoyed the element of not knowing who to trust and building trust with one or two individuals.

I don't see how what you propose about killing outside of towns encourages raiding.  For raiding to exist there has to exist loot.

I think you're just talking playerkilling without an in-game reason.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2020-03-21 19:52:35

JackTreehorn

Spoonwood wrote:
JackTreHorn wrote:

I don't see how what you propose about killing outside of towns encourages raiding.  For raiding to exist there has to exist loot.

I think you're just talking playerkilling without an in-game reason.

I mean waiting outside the town on the road for people to leave or return to their town, kill and loot their body.
We have had this before and it causes some fun in town drama.
The victim may return and tell people there is danger outside and we should go and find the murderer waiting on the road.
Perhaps the victim may say don't go outside, it's not safe.
A passer by may see the murderer waiting and try to defend themselves.
The reason people kill on the road is often not for the loot but to have fun and rp being a murderer.

Raiding towns is a different thing which we have had before during the rift.
Some resources were scarce and families were fighting for control of towns.

Eve Audette

#24 2020-03-21 20:05:19

pein

JackTreehorn wrote:

I agree the game has become very boring.
Since the rift there has been no raiding, no town walls and guards.
Since the murder update there has been hardly any murders inside town.
Murderers run slow outside town so killing outside is also nonviable.

Once we have learnt how to make everything and have seen the towns grow big, it often feels pointless.

My unpopular opinion on how to fix these issues would be:
1. Throw us back into a new rift however make it twice the size of the last rift. Perhaps have water on both east and west walls. An endgame tech could be a boat to travel to the other side. Each rift could have a week timer before it gets reset. (to bring back resource scarcity and raiding)
2. Turn off the murderer slow for murderers outside of town. (to bring back raiding on the open road.)
3. Change the posse number for murderers inside town so that one person can still kill but still has the slow (to bring back disputes in town and murders to solve.)

These changes would bring back several things which have been missing from the game.
1. The sense of danger lurking outside the city walls.
2. Loot and resources having some value.
3. The community bond to see some towns survive and others die. (Remember hammer town and how we beat the rift.)

I enjoyed some rift lives, but overall I wouldn't want it back. Cities were made by specific players so locking places up resulted in locking out original creators, people lived off of my city. You can't call it raids, it's just stealing.

Properties were used by hoarders and physical keys aren't safe at all, people always find them and ruin it. Code locks would be decent I guess.

No murders are better than giving all the advantage to the attacker, I kinda enjoyed dodging and fighting with close to equal chances. The game would need honourable skill-based fights. IF someone pisses you off, have a chance to fight them for our right.

the defences were dumb, like making fences as an Eve, my few kids starved cause couldn't get out and it was too hard to lock down a small space. I think it would be ok to buy territories and it would have some walls around it, then upgrade them, that would need an hp system to it.

I would prefer premade arenas for pvp where different rules apply. Also, premade castles where team fights are possible, invitation-based, so you select a team then teleport there, fight, win or lose and go back to your city.

Whole world rift is bad, per family rift (or soft capped maps) would be better, travelling and transport on long-distance is dumb, road making is also pointlessly boring and useless.
Buildings should have a purpose and people should have more ownership over things that they make.

#25 2020-03-21 20:12:16

Morti

JonySky wrote:

Morti, do you remember the stories that were explained in this forum?
Remember the Missed Connections post ?: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=710
Remember how alive this forum was?

The forum is a reflection of the game, the game has become boring, repetitive and without stories.

I also played OHOL several hours a week, now I haven't been in for months

it's simple ... if a game fails to generate stories and challenges, it is not attractive to the public

It's not up to the game, to do that, it's up to us.
The game is only a tennis court, a football field, we are the players.
If we can not make this entertaining for ourselves, it is because we, do not know any better.
It is because we, don't have the game, within us.
And that is true, most of us don't. We think we know - we've played so many, beaten so many.
We lost everyone until we won them, and then we really lost them. Then we really gave up.

If you want to read a story, you've run the wrong program.
OneLife.exe exists for you to write the story.

Why do you think I say I love you so much? I mean I do, but I want us to be parts of each others stories.
That "I LOVE YOU" is just the most natural line, in our play together.
What grows that needs to come from inside us, it's not up to Jason, to write our script.
What do you want him to do, generate Mongols to come and raid our village?
Kill the men, rape the women and enslave us as kids, only so that we may some day RISE UP against the tyrants?
Try doin that to me and I'll fucking log off, I don't care for that shit, but you might.
Maybe you want to be raped and enslaved, maybe you want to do the raping and enslaving, shit, go for it.

Go rape each other, I'll be farming carrots. Just don't pretend, I, am going to be the John Rolfe to your Pocahontas, or vice versa.
I'm just the guy off stage holding the boom for the mic, don't ask me to save you, and don't ask me to pretend to rape you.
What the hell is wrong with you? (What the heck are those guys called? Grips? Dollies? Best Boys?
P3y3Pj7.png
Nevermind, those are all lighting people. You get the point!)

Look, I like your shows, but I'm not a good actor, I mean, I could be a director, and Jason be like the Producer, but... no.
We, are everything, to each other. We are the crews of the film, we are the actors, and, we are each other's audience.

You want stories, you got to realize that, and I know, it's not easy, when we are so exposed, to big budget, Hollywood pictures and Broadway production level games.
Being here, in this little town theatre, might not seem worth the time. But the difference, in the actor's mind, is just that.

Think of this, a family of ten people, standing around a fenced in bear, all naked, except for wolf hats, chanting. You are born from one of the women, and suddenly the chanting stops. All the people clear away from you, including your mother. An elderly man walks up to you with a shovel, another bring out a bucket of dung, and the the shovel man begins to spread the dung around you, until you rise to your feet. "The child is born!" he shouts "The sign?" "The bear sign?" the people mutter to each other, as your mother reaches down, and picks you up in her arms. "My bear child." She says, and everyone goes back to farming, and baking and playing with sheep shit.

You just finished the tutorial, for the first time.
You have no fucking clue what just happened.

That's someones first memory of the game.
That was a terrible attempt at a scene, but again, I think you get the point.

You got to remember how weird this game is, compared to everything else people could possibly play. For a game.
It's really weird.
Yet there is nothing stopping us, from making it weirder.

I know people have attempted to do such weird things to me before, especially around those 3 pillared shrines. After someone did some weird shit like that to me, minus the bear and the props, I killed 3 people I saw making those fucking shrines, because fuck that! I don't want people being subjected to that shit. I mean, in my case it was a bunch of adults, an alarming number of adults, all talking about me being a child sacrifice, so you better believe that when I was an Eve, and one of my kids started making one of those fucking shrines, I fashioned a bow and arrow real quick and shot that little bastard right then and there.

Is that funny? Either way, not for the victim. But I'm trying to make it seem funny, in retrospect. Sure, it was a little funny, maybe that's one less person making those dumbass shrines. The cults and the child sacrifices stopped being a thing... until Jason made it an OFFICIAL part of the game... so, I lost that battle.

I've lost a lot of weird ass battles with you people over the years, but I still love playing with you, and most of you still love me, or at least, I imagine you do.
I'm a lot more cut and dry than some of you, but I already cared about everyone, long before this game was even an idea in Jason's head, less he made the game up when he was 14. I mean, I can't even remember I time when I didn't care about everyone... I guess the first time was probably my sister. My mother had punished me by asking me to sit on the couch for an hour, and then my sister came in the living room and started listing to White Snake and a bunch of crappy hair bands on MTV at full blast, while you vacuumed the living room and gave me looks like she was glad I was being punished. I didn't like that, and I still am not a fan of guitars or men that dress in brightly colored tights, with fried hair, and scream into mics like girls at an Elvis concert. Turns out Elvis actually sang at my mother's high school auditorium, when she was going there, fairly early in his career. Not that that's a big deal, he probably performed in thousands of them, I mean, what a great way for the girls of America to fawn over him. Was a good marketing strategy for whoever was his producer.

What the hell am I talkin about here? Look, you've figured out the game, now figure out each other. You don't have to RP Only, I was banned from a few of those types of servers in other MMOs for not being in character, I know they can seem kinda stupid to people who aren't playing the game to do that sort of thing, but some people want to. But, different people want to experience the game, in different ways, for different reasons, and, I'm pretty much okay with most of it, but I've never been a fan of the monoliths, or the curse system, or, any of the mechanics like that that weren't realistic. But there is more than enough realism here, to keep me around. I'm a very simple person, it still blows my mind that multiplayer games don't have players being born and aging mechanics to them, like this one does.
It could be one day a life, 8 hours a life, a month a life or a year a life. I think the idea of raising children sounds like a great concept for a game, especially now, that games have been blowing up for long enough, that most gamers that were young, when consoles took off with Atari, Nintendo and Sega, are now having their own kids. And kids today will only, ever know the world, as one where video games are a just as, if not more so, forms of entertainment, than radio or television. So why not reproduce more aspects of the world.

Even we had Leisure Suit Larry, probably the first big dating sim, so why not take the simulation of reality to the next logical conclusion?

Jason's broken the ice for the child rearing side of things, let someone else handle the details of the mother and father stuff. Probably be a Japanese programmer, but almost certainly an Asian one, given their more relaxed social attitudes.

What can I say? I honestly appreciate, that you, Aurora, went out of your way, to find people willing to be father's, to your children. It was unusual, until, I saw it enough that it wasn't. You, made a game within the game, even when others didn't play along, you persisted, and found people that did and I began to find those encounters amusing. I have no idea what goes on in the games discord, but I imagine it'd make it easier for you to organize things like that, outside of the game. But, I only ever knew what I saw of it, from within the game, and what I saw of it on this forum, and even I was onboard with it. Probably fathered a few dozen kids with you and other people, who were playing as well, thanks to you.

So, like I said before, don't give up on what you want. Work with people, until they work with you and have fun making the game, the world, the way you want it to be. Any sort of idea you might get from the game, chances are, there's probably other people in the world that will get it to, and if they aren't here yet, they'll come along. Just remember The Clan of The Cave Bear, and, keep your shit away from me. XD

Board footer