One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-26 21:15:16

x_Raiema_x

We're all starving

Idk whats going on with the game right now, but I was born into a tini family and the food pips weren't working as thry should, mutton pie only gave five pips, turkey broth three, wild onions, tomatoes, berries, all only gave one pip. the town quickly depleted its food sources as nothing was nourishing the people. idk whats going on if its a glitch or intentional but the town was completely covered in corpses of everyone starving in their twenties. whats going on man

I say eyyyyyyy constantly <3

#2 2020-02-26 21:33:55

sigmen4020

Re: We're all starving

aLEch6N.png

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#3 2020-02-26 21:43:07

DestinyCall

Jason is having a bit of fun.     Enjoy the ensuing chaos.

#4 2020-02-26 22:08:13

Grim_Arbiter

Damnit..All the good stuff always happens when I'm at work.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2020-02-26 23:00:25

x_Raiema_x

is that a OHOL discord?

I say eyyyyyyy constantly <3

#6 2020-02-26 23:11:04

wondible

x_Raiema_x wrote:

is that a OHOL discord?

It's a secret easter egg: Scroll aaallllllll the way to the bottom of the web site front page

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#7 2020-02-26 23:34:10

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Join, lots of active members. We don't like griefers tho

https://discord.gg/hNHwyTr

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#8 2020-02-26 23:41:30

DestinyCall

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Damnit..All the good stuff always happens when I'm at work.

Don't worry.   If Jason liked the results of that test, I'm sure we will all get a chance to starve together after the next update.

#9 2020-02-27 00:05:08

Coconut Fruit

Less pips from foods and more bonus for yumming. I would love that.
Also it would bring interactions that Jason love. More cooperation to make many different food types.
Bigger need for making warm clothes for everyone. That sounds fun to me.
More survival means more fun.

That's what this game needs and not stupid race restrictions :P

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#10 2020-02-27 00:18:40

DestinyCall

I'd tolerate the food nerf if it ended racial specializations, but we are probably going to just get food nerfed without enough water to deal with the increased food consumption.   

Be prepared to watch a lot of babies die while spamming F。

#11 2020-02-27 00:30:23

fug

DestinyCall wrote:

I'd tolerate the food nerf if it ended racial specializations, but we are probably going to just get food nerfed without enough water to deal with the increased food consumption.   

Haha just build buildings dummy hurr durr durr.

Again with the nerfing of stuff for the sole sake of muh difficulty without adding anything interesting or fun to the pot. This has pretty much been the theme since the end of the rift - nerf the fun, replace it with """difficulty""" in hopes of making things better. I can't imagine how much ass the game is going to feel like in the midweek let alone if Jason gets sick or goes on vacation.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#12 2020-02-27 00:36:35

sigmen4020

fug wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Haha just build buildings dummy hurr durr durr.

Again with the nerfing of stuff for the sole sake of muh difficulty without adding anything interesting or fun to the pot. This has pretty much been the theme since the end of the rift - nerf the fun, replace it with """difficulty""" in hopes of making things better. I can't imagine how much ass the game is going to feel like in the midweek let alone if Jason gets sick or goes on vacation.

I would rather say it's to further delay our progression through the tech tree, to pretend that it's complete. Instead of expanding it we just have to spend more time doing the same thing we've always done.

Also as a sidenote, a food nerf will completely screw over early camps, which are already difficult enough to thrive in as is.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-02-27 00:37:54)

#13 2020-02-27 00:41:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Fug, what is "fun" to you?

Where does it come from?

What causes it to exist?

How do you know you're having fun when you're having it?

#14 2020-02-27 00:42:58

jasonrohrer
Administrator

sigmen4020, are early camps fun for you, or boring?

#15 2020-02-27 00:47:04

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

That theme was also present in the ponds are forever and pumps will break change, if not before then in the come together disaster, and the temperature will be static and not very forgiving change.

DestinyCall wrote:

Be prepared to watch a lot of babies die while spamming F

Even having been an Eve responsible for not feeding children early on (in order to have more structure in the development of the camp later or so that I survive or so that I feel it more likely that my lineage would last longer), I recognize that's always been a severe weakness with the Eve game when that happens.  And make no mistake, the large population game has consistently had one severe deficiency or another that lead Eves to taking on such population control methods.... or dying young as enough do trying to feed more children than they can handle (and probably picking them up more than necessary... though it's by no means easy to get that right in game).

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#16 2020-02-27 00:52:20

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Maybe it depends on what sigmen had done in previous lives.

Maybe they aren't always the same so he can't say.

And almost surely early camps have a tendency to make it so that the Eve starves, or the Eve doesn't feed all of her children, because of the number of players forced to become the child of an Eve.  Neither of which are good.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2020-02-27 00:55:42

sigmen4020

jasonrohrer wrote:

It's been a while since I've been in one, but I guess I'd say they're fun every now and then, but not something I would want to experience all the time because they can be quite hectic. Especially playing as an Eve where you are struggling to do everything you need to do within your shorter than normal life span. Imo early camps don't need to be more challenging than they already are, that would just make living in them more frustrating than fun.

Also when it comes what's fun for me in the game in general, I mostly agree with what fug said, but I'm not much of a builder. In big established towns I do however enjoy setting my mark in other ways, like making some niche but fun-to-make food like tortillas or dying the entire towns undyed clothing supply. Here's an example of me successfully making a dye station with four different colors to choose from, which was fun to set up and fun to see everyone change their entirely white outfits for new colorfull ones.

dw4Zydy.png

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-02-27 01:04:47)

#18 2020-02-27 00:55:52

fug

Fun is: The experience you get when you teach a new player how to do something and it finally clicks for them.

Fun is not: Spending 15 real life minutes trying to catch a guy hiding in the desert as he kills all your sheep.

Fun is: Choosing your own path and building something greater for everyone to enjoy.

Fun is not: Remember you screwed up a tool slot somewhere and now have to spend the rest of your life missing out on what you wanted.

Fun is: Helping Eve slowly start and grow a family that we keep on moving along.

Fun is not: Looking at your character model and releasing you're the wrong color.

Fun is: Building a small family home and working with your children to survive off the land.

Fun is not: Walking around for 30 minutes looking for another family because they're too spread due to an apocalypse or lack of knowledge of locations.

I can't give you a straight definition of "fun" but I can tell you what isn't fun easily. Some of your worst updates have been exactly that - not fun. The rift, race restrictions, tool slots. All of these drained the creativity out of the game for the sake of some "fun" that was never found.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#19 2020-02-27 01:22:06

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

These are quotes from dev-changes:

"foodScaleFactor applied with ceil (instead of lrint) so that a food never rounds to 0 (like foodScaleFactor of 0.35 applied to popcorn)."

"eatBonus and foodScaleFactor now decline over the generations from Eve. eatBonus starts at 4 and eventually reaches 0, with a half-life of 50 generations. foodScaleFactor starts at 1.0 and eventually reaches 0.5, with a half-life of 50 generations."

Danish Clinch.

#20 2020-02-27 01:38:19

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

"foodScaleFactor applied with ceil (instead of lrint) so that a food never rounds to 0 (like foodScaleFactor of 0.35 applied to popcorn)."

"eatBonus and foodScaleFactor now decline over the generations from Eve. eatBonus starts at 4 and eventually reaches 0, with a half-life of 50 generations. foodScaleFactor starts at 1.0 and eventually reaches 0.5, with a half-life of 50 generations."

I'll start carving tiny little baby coffins.

#21 2020-02-27 01:43:33

fug

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Make sure you eat your 10 one pip berries because that's a lot of hungry work for all those dead babies.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#22 2020-02-27 01:50:29

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

You'd be encouraging them to die again at a young age again in a future life.  Alright, go ahead, that might drive them away from playing permanently.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2020-02-27 01:56:48

jasonrohrer
Administrator

fug, I can give you a very straight, clear, and concise definition of fun.

I can also very clearly articulate WHY those things that aren't fun for you aren't fun for you (especially given the way you articulated them).

I wrote a whole post about it a while back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/commen … career_of/

I'll quote the most direct portion of it here:

Game-fun is precisely the process of learning and improving in a controlled, well-defined context. The more room there is for learning and improving, and the clearer the path forward for more learning and improvement, the more fun the game is. Some people call this the "flow" state, which is the fine line between boredom and frustration. The thing gets harder in a way that is precisely paced with your improvement. It's always slightly too hard, but only slightly. When you fail, it is 100% clear to you why you failed, and you know exactly what you need to do next time to do better. Each failure results in incremental skill acquisition.

The reason those situations aren't fun for you is that they are impossible for you, or at least seem impossible, and there's nothing you can do to improve in the face of those situations (or if there is something you can do to improve, it's not clear to you).  In other words, you are helpless.  There's nothing to learn.  Thus, those situations are not fun.

This is obviously not by design.  They are emergent, degenerate cases enabled by the mechanics that I designed, however.

Furthermore, there are (at least hypothetical) situations that emerge from those same mechanics that ARE fun.  For example, negotiating with someone across a language barrier can be fun.

#24 2020-02-27 02:25:00

DestinyCall

Race restrictions and tool slots are predominantly NOT fun, even by your definition.    They repeatedly create hard roadblocks that are effectively unbeatable.  No way forward, nothing to learn or teach.   Just a dead-end.

#25 2020-02-27 02:26:10

unoriginal artist

jasonrohrer wrote:

fug, I can give you a very straight, clear, and concise definition of fun.

I can also very clearly articulate WHY those things that aren't fun for you aren't fun for you (especially given the way you articulated them).

I wrote a whole post about it a while back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/commen … career_of/

I'll quote the most direct portion of it here:

Game-fun is precisely the process of learning and improving in a controlled, well-defined context. The more room there is for learning and improving, and the clearer the path forward for more learning and improvement, the more fun the game is. Some people call this the "flow" state, which is the fine line between boredom and frustration. The thing gets harder in a way that is precisely paced with your improvement. It's always slightly too hard, but only slightly. When you fail, it is 100% clear to you why you failed, and you know exactly what you need to do next time to do better. Each failure results in incremental skill acquisition.

The reason those situations aren't fun for you is that they are impossible for you, or at least seem impossible, and there's nothing you can do to improve in the face of those situations (or if there is something you can do to improve, it's not clear to you).  In other words, you are helpless.  There's nothing to learn.  Thus, those situations are not fun.

This is obviously not by design.  They are emergent, degenerate cases enabled by the mechanics that I designed, however.

Furthermore, there are (at least hypothetical) situations that emerge from those same mechanics that ARE fun.  For example, negotiating with someone across a language barrier can be fun.

Negotaiting acrosss a language barrier is not fun since unless you have the tool slot left to use a pencil you cant even tell them what you want, best you can do is spam click items and hope they arent so much of a noob that they can understand what u mean, also whats not fun is starving cause a berry is 1 pip MY GENE SCORE DOES NOT THANK YOU JASON

Board footer