You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-16 13:56:00

Morti

Got A Lot Of Oil Today

My little pad.
lRRb7EC.jpg

My home.
jHU7PpM.png

Thanks to all of you that have helped out with the town.

I know the L word gets throw around a lot, but every time I tell you I love you, I mean it.

I love you Mercury.
I love you Venus.
I love you Terra.
I love you Luna.
I love you Mars.
I love you Jupiter.
I love you Saturn.
I love you Rhea.
I love you Orion.
I love you Hercules.
I love you Andromeda.
I love you Cassiopeia.
I love all of you.

Anything you want to do to the town, please do so. I have put a lot into it for the last two weeks. When I found it, it was just a shallow well in the swamp. I was making the roads in the southeast corner of the town west, and then just extended the long road, to, wherever it lead. Still so much to do... so many buildings I want to add, so many crops, I want, to find their homes. I want you to be happy. I want you to belong.

If there are any thoughts that you have about this town, any complaints, please share them with me. I already have a few ideas, that I've picked up from living in your towns these last few weeks. No detail is too big or too small to discuss. Some of you want new layouts, but I'm guessing most of you are happy with the traditional 3x3 plots for the farms.

My original idea for the place was something like this:
pVKs6eD.png
with 28 3x3s and 4 buildings in each corner. Some of those 3x3s would have been used as places to hold pots of stew, cabbage or plots for boxes with tools, like hoes, bowls or buckets. Things have gotten pretty chaotic, and I've been spending more and more lives just cleaning up the place; trying to make you happy to be there.

I don't know what else to say.

Thank you so much, for all you do.

I love you.

#2 2020-02-16 15:40:41

Flachzang

Re: Got A Lot Of Oil Today

Yesterday or the day before I squeezed some oil from this spot as well. At least 5-10 tanks.

#3 2020-02-16 22:26:55

Dapper

Ha, earlier this day i found your exhausted oiling rig!

I found another tarry spot 300-400 meters away from it, with like 3 iron veins nearby. Very good area, guessing you were from the ginger towns closeby.

Bean Burritos are better than Bean Tacos, never make Bean Taco!

#4 2020-02-17 02:44:42

Morti

Flachzang wrote:

Yesterday or the day before I squeezed some oil from this spot as well. At least 5-10 tanks.

I'm kinda new to the oil business. When it first game out people were scrambling to get oil and make engines and cars, and, civilizations collapsed fairly regularly because more important things were ignored, like children. To pull off this last withdrawl, required me to do something horribly similar myself, otherwise it might have been 3, 4 or 5 lives until I was reborn capable of working in the snow biome. I didn't have another 5 hours to play last night. It was bad enough I had to leave 5-10 babies to die while gathering components from across the map, I didn't want to give up on my mothers too.

I want to say this race patch is pretty horrible, when it comes to people who know the game well enough to know what it is they want to do in what biome.

It has surely lead to many situations like this.

"This town now needs palm oil, for rubber, so I need to be born brown skin and then run back to this town."
Born to a red haired mother.
"Nope." /die
Reborn to same red haired mother.
"Ugh, again." /die
Reborn to a caucasian mother.
"Nope." /die
Reborn to a black mother.
"Don't need sulfur." /die
Reborn to the original, red haired mother.
"Not this one again." /die
Then after x mothers, you are born to the skin color YOU have chosen.

This is what I see this patch allowing people to do with their 24 rerolls.

Meanwhile you have all these players that have to deal with all these dead bay corpses.
You have players, that want to be mothers, getting dismayed and frustrated with the game because, they just want to love someone; they just want to care for a child, and the person paired up to them is giving them no chance of that, because, in this instance, they want to collect palm kernels, in the jungle, for some rubber, to make tires, for an oil well, so they can run engines for water or iron, for people who will eventually be born to their town, who were those mothers they suicided on, who now are on the brink of giving up on the game because they are tired of babies dying in their arms.

This is not the way to foster a positive community of players. Not from the players perspective, and not from a game designers perspective.

The more players pick up on this, the worse it will get, for new players who are attracted to this game for the parenting aspect.

Most of you that still play this game are probably ambivalent to this. Some of you harp on Jason on a regular basis. Some of you prefer to rip and rag on each other, suggesting that players grow thicker skins and become callous, to what people have to suffer through, just to enjoy the moment they get to hold someone in their arms.

--

I'd like to imagine Jason has the best intentions, that as a human being, he wants what is best for all people. And while it may be the case that hardship can make us stronger people, it also suggests that it's okay to enact hardships on others, under the guise of good intentions.

Ultimately it's not about what happens inside the game, but how it alters our perception, as real human beings. Whether you are 13, 30 or 65, the things you see and do each day; the things you witness and experience, they shape who you are. We all determine what humanity is, through our actions, or, inactions. The way we engage and interact with each other today, will determine the setting, of the fairytales of the future. Imagine how nice things will be for those people, in 10,000 years, who look back at this time and think, how simple, we still were, in much the same way we think of ancient Rome, China, or Egypt.

Guess this is our job, as Ancient Earth of the future. People in 10,000 years will look back and compare the two 10,000 year periods; the one before us, and the one after, and what is it they will say about us at this time? What great shifts, in human activity, would have taken place?

Too Big?

Well what about the last ten years and the next ten? What great games will be remembered for their impact on humanity?

It feels weird asking that, but, these are the new plays, the new books, the new movies. This is the new view of our time.

Pretty important we get it right.

--

My respects to you, Jason, for your effort.
For giving those of us that want to care, a place to play.

#5 2020-02-17 03:12:21

Morti

Dapper wrote:

I found another tarry spot 300-400 meters away from it, with like 3 iron veins nearby. Very good area, guessing you were from the ginger towns closeby.

I found another too, hopefully they are not the same.
I'll look around it for iron nodes.

Does anyone know, from experience or code, how far out do the wells become exhausted?

I'm interested in both water and oil, as, I wasn't playing a lot when all these changes were first taking place, but, this, mechanic, is pretty crucial to future plans.
I can imagine some of you have discussed it at length and this is why your towns are the distances they are apart.
But does the spread, for instance, with the water, get worse, the more we use the engines on them?
Does the radius of dry water wells, for instance, grow, with any number of engine runs?
If so does the formula make sense? Does the radius grow steadily, or does it drop exponentially as the area of the circle increases?
Is there a limit? Say, 5 springs out (200 meters)? And it just never exceeds that limit?

I'd also be interested in knowing if it's a square every time, or if the corners are rounded.

dutdfK9.png

In this picture, the parallel black lines are each 40 apart, where they intersect are the locations of springs, water or oil. (Didn't oil used to spawn in the desert too?) When the pump is run, and dries out surrounding springs, does it dry out a comparable number to the amount of water withdrawn from the central well? Or does the amount of water we take from one well, sap a larger and larger number of surrounding wells?

At this moment I have hunches as to how this is working, but I do not have enough experience to say for sure.

#6 2020-02-17 04:29:55

wondible

Morti wrote:

Does anyone know, from experience or code, how far out do the wells become exhausted?

Square.

If you look at onetech, you can see the number in some of the items names. A well

https://onetech.info/662-Shallow-Well-t … 40-160-160

Taps out things in a 40x40 grid, in a 160x160 area, so two springs in each direction.

Gushing oil rig has the same numbers.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#7 2020-02-17 09:13:45

Dapper

Morti wrote:
Dapper wrote:

I found another too, hopefully they are not the same.
I'll look around it for iron nodes.

I found the tarry spot i was talking about, it was like looking for a needle in a haystack but i found it.

https://i.imgflip.com/3pfnos.jpg

Its located at X -7240

Y 40

Nobody finished my work sadly, it's a complete oil rig, but it has not been "gushed" yet. I told someone to take my map back home, but i have a feeling that he did not or died. There is 1 iron vein right next to it, and 2 others closeby if you follow the home marker back to the ginger town closeby.

When i come on later this day i will see if i can maybe finish it. Currently on the map it remains untouched after my death.

Bean Burritos are better than Bean Tacos, never make Bean Taco!

#8 2020-02-17 21:25:13

Morti

wondible wrote:
Morti wrote:

Square.

If you look at onetech, you can see the number in some of the items names. A well

https://onetech.info/662-Shallow-Well-t … 40-160-160

Taps out things in a 40x40 grid, in a 160x160 area, so two springs in each direction.

Gushing oil rig has the same numbers.

Thank you, wondible.

So, for starters it's a 160x160, the shallow well. The radius of that being 80, or 2 springs in all directions, including diagonal. That's a 5x5 area of springs, 24 dry so the central 1 can be used. Estimated number of uses, according to onetech, 134. (Here I got stuck thinking about odds and uses, why did 3% chance to use mean 134 estimated number of uses? Also, on github it says numUses=5,0.030000, whats the 5 mean? Probabilities and code conundrums aside, I'll carry on with the rest of the post.) 134 estimated uses, from 25 springs worth of area, that's 5.36 estimated uses per spring. But that's bowls or pouches, not buckets. So, it's 0.536 buckets per spring.

Now I wonder, does the deep well's radius go out another 2? If so it would be a radius of 4, a 9x9, or 81 springs, 80 dry for 1 deep well. Yet, the estimated use for a deep well are 33.
81-25, that's 56, and we're getting 33 (est.) buckets from 56 new springs, or 0.589 buckets per spring.

The Wet Newcomen Pump

The Wet Kerosene Newcomen Pump

The Wet Diesel Water Pump

Do each of these also extend that radius out 2 more?

5x5 25
9x9 81 -25= 56
13x13 169 -81= 88
17x17 289 -169= 120
21x21 441 -289= 152

and do we still only get a little over a half a bucket of water per spring we cause to dry?

What about each use of the diesel pump, does that also increase the radius? And perhaps more importantly , if two wells radii grow to overlap each other, do they also take uses from each other?

This, MUST, have been discussed at length in other posts... there is so much I don't know that must be going on here, that is directly relevant to the amount of work it's going to take to maintain these towns at various distances apart. One the one hand it makes sense if towns are sapping uses from each other's wells, or if their radii are growing collectively with each use. But, I don't imagine Jason has gone to the extent of giant patches of dry wells, grow to make up for the dry springs they've already moved into. Like if two diesel pump's 21x21 areas overlap, let's say, by 2 columns of springs, or, 42 springs, would the most recently fueled one draw 42 springs worth out of the natural springs around it? And, given the natural flowing nature of water, shouldn't the dry springs be going back to natural springs as water rushes back in where it's missing?

I wish I knew the way you imagined aquifers worked, Jason, when you came up with this idea. And what sort of mechanic you've coded into the game to simulate that. Obviously it's a simplified simulation, but these sorts of details are crucial to gameplay. When water runs out in a town, a lot of other things occur as a result.

Having a good sense of how the water table works, and why, would be interesting.

#9 2020-02-17 21:34:45

Morti

Was working on this picture and forgot about it, may as well post it.
7QHLSoQ.png
I don't know how the area of dry wells increases as we go through to deep well, newcomens and diesel, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

#10 2020-02-17 22:18:59

wondible

Morti wrote:

Do each of these also extend that radius out 2 more?

What about each use of the diesel pump, does that also increase the radius? And perhaps more importantly , if two wells radii grow to overlap each other, do they also take uses from each other?

No.

If you put "40" into onetech you get four things - spring and tarry, shallow well and gushing oil. That is it.

The kind of creeping intersections you talk about are one of the reasons it's simple. Imagine just getting your deep well up and the next town's newcomen dries it out? That would suck right? Very close eve towns can kill one another's springs, but once you've got a well, you can keep it.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

Board footer