One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-04 22:16:49

Harry

Apocalypses?????? :O

https://prnt.sc/j0zcka

oh my gosh, i only looked at the website to see this bar had been introduced.... I think some explaining is in order, Jason. yikes

I hope this isn't an april fools wink

#2 2018-04-04 22:29:39

Joriom
Website

Re: Apocalypses?????? :O

Thats not a joke. We've been aware of the change for some time now but we don't know how it works yet.

Discord.RSSBOT - Last Tuesday at 10:54 PM
Working on server support for apocalypse.

Discord.RSSBOT - Today at 11:19 PM
Added apocalypse stats to website.

#3 2018-04-04 22:34:28

Eccola

I hope this thing will be something like total map wipe. It seriously needs rebooting, so people are not bored and don't have urges to grief. Most servers are now stagnant, because there is no more stuff to do, and people are just farming and making pies in big towns. It tires out quickly.

#4 2018-04-04 22:53:04

Antichthon

I don't see how an apocalypse has any meaning when we're still reliant on Eves to keep humanity from going extinct. Every day is an apocalypse.

#5 2018-04-04 22:59:25

Baker

Is the apocalypse going to work like the "big red button" that's been talked about?

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#6 2018-04-04 23:06:37

TrustyWay

Baker wrote:

Is the apocalypse going to work like the "big red button" that's been talked about?

Seems like, maybe that's when a server is out of most of ressources are gone.

OR MAYBE PORTALS TO HELL OPEN AND DEMON COMES OUT SO WE HAVE TO KILL THEM AND SURVIVE IN OUR CASTELS WITH WALLS AND SHIT, MAN

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-04 23:07:36)

#7 2018-04-04 23:24:55

Lexyvil

I like to think that there is now a small chance of an asteroid impact, to wipe the server.

#8 2018-04-04 23:39:16

Verinon1

I don’t think he’s going to implement it any time soon.

#9 2018-04-04 23:43:38

Joriom
Website

Antichthon wrote:

I don't see how an apocalypse has any meaning when we're still reliant on Eves to keep humanity from going extinct. Every day is an apocalypse.

No, we're not. I think you've been placed in the wrong serwers is you say so or you have terrible luck for mothers. I've seen some decent towns with animal farms and all the tech already even on servers 1 and 3 ow - the "always populated" ones.

Verinon1 wrote:

What about ice aga "apocalypse"? Huricane? Global flood? Natural ones could be nice to break the normal gameplay.

#10 2018-04-04 23:57:43

Verinon1

We already have an apocalypse of sorts with the lack of trees on servers 1 and 3

#11 2018-04-05 00:30:48

Mugatu86

It's a total map and database wipe as it calls the wipeMapFiles function:

+void wipeMapFiles() { 

+    deleteFileByName( "biome.db" ); 
+    deleteFileByName( "eve.db" ); 
+    deleteFileByName( "floor.db" ); 
+    deleteFileByName( "floorTime.db" ); 
+    deleteFileByName( "lookTime.db" ); 
+    deleteFileByName( "map.db" ); 
+    deleteFileByName( "mapTime.db" ); 
+    deleteFileByName( "playerStats.db" ); 
+    } 

We just don't know what will trigger it, as it seems to be only triggered via the server console at the moment - but it will be most likely triggered in game as was mentioned in the trailer (honestly didn't think it would come soo soon)

#12 2018-04-05 01:08:33

Antichthon

Joriom wrote:
Antichthon wrote:

No, we're not. I think you've been placed in the wrong serwers is you say so or you have terrible luck for mothers. I've seen some decent towns with animal farms and all the tech already even on servers 1 and 3 ow - the "always populated" ones.

Verinon1 wrote:

What about ice aga "apocalypse"? Huricane? Global flood? Natural ones could be nice to break the normal gameplay.

No town is always populated. And all you need to do is look at the longest generation line to see that we are still dependent on Eves; 31 generations in longest family line. Even being generous that means the longest unbroken chain lasted less than a day. Disable Eves and all servers would be extinct by this time tomorrow.

#13 2018-04-05 01:14:30

TrustyWay

Antichthon wrote:
Joriom wrote:
Antichthon wrote:

Verinon1 wrote:

No town is always populated. And all you need to do is look at the longest generation line to see that we are still dependent on Eves; 31 generations in longest family line. Even being generous that means the longest unbroken chain lasted less than a day. Disable Eves and all servers would be extinct by this time tomorrow.

Yeah you right, if people knew there were no more eve they would start killing everybody just like berry diggers and fences remover right now.

#14 2018-04-05 01:14:31

Portager

It would be cool if the trigger was us, and our reckless use of the environment.

#15 2018-04-05 01:26:06

Alleria

TrustyWay wrote:
Antichthon wrote:
Joriom wrote:

Yeah you right, if people knew there were no more eve they would start killing everybody just like berry diggers and fences remover right now.

This isn't 100% true. The game spawns in more Eve's than IMO it should. I'd prefer to wait a minute or two and be able to help a dynasty, than spawn immediately as an Eve and be in competition to that dynasty. A lot of the time a dynasty ends because they are outcompeted by an Eve. Regarding the dynasty that lasted 31 generations (I was the last or second last dynastic member), the town didn't end there. An Eve came and helped me repopulate. If I was born a girl, the longest dynasty would have been longer, but alas... So although the dynasty only lasted about 14 hours (I was present close to the beginning also), the town was continuously populated for over 24 hours. Murdertown/Trump Town has pretty much been continuously populated for a week (empty for a few hours here and there).

I strongly disagree with your assertion that without Eves servers would necessarily go extinct when it's often Eves (and the children they take by virtue of existing, from established towns) who cause the collapse of dynasties and towns (Eves often grief, or produce griefers because they are outsiders). Of course over a long enough time and given the stochastic nature of the game, you're right.

Last edited by Alleria (2018-04-05 01:28:23)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#16 2018-04-05 01:37:44

TrustyWay

Alleria wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:
Antichthon wrote:

This isn't 100% true. The game spawns in more Eve's than IMO it should. I'd prefer to wait a minute or two and be able to help a dynasty, than spawn immediately as an Eve and be in competition to that dynasty. A lot of the time a dynasty ends because they are outcompeted by an Eve. Regarding the dynasty that lasted 31 generations (I was the last or second last dynastic member), the town didn't end there. An Eve came and helped me repopulate. If I was born a girl, the longest dynasty would have been longer, but alas... So although the dynasty only lasted about 14 hours (I was present close to the beginning also), the town was continuously populated for over 24 hours. Murdertown/Trump Town has pretty much been continuously populated for a week (empty for a few hours here and there).

I strongly disagree with your assertion that without Eves servers would necessarily go extinct when it's often Eves (and the children they take by virtue of existing, from established towns) who cause the collapse of dynasties and towns (Eves often grief, or produce griefers because they are outsiders). Of course over a long enough time and given the stochastic nature of the game, you're right.

What I meant is that if we stop producing eve on servers, humanity could extinct easily because of mass murderers. People would start killing boys for better chance of repopulating and things go more extreme, that could be an good experiment.

Eves wipe other families from villages but don't cause to collapse city, starvation may kill many people, it oftenly doesn't kill everyone. Eves repopulate rather than destroy.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-05 01:39:06)

#17 2018-04-05 01:49:03

Antichthon

Alleria wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:
Antichthon wrote:

Oh, towns are continuously occupied for longer than 24 hours, sure. Probably never a few days, though (Being empty for a few hours still counts.) And yes, the spawning mechanics are most certainly different with Eves than without Eves, and it can't be mapped directly to saying "the game would not last longer than 31 generations." but even with these considerations, I'd never put money on any server being populated after 48 hours, tops, and that's being very generous.

And if I'm wrong, then why don't we do away with Eves, save if the server is entirely extinct? Put a spawn timer on children to avoid Eve being flooded with children (much like reality), go from there. It would certainly fit Jason's MO of trying to capture realism. For that matter, why wasn't it this way to begin with?

There's a reason Jason went out of his way to avoid the obviously more realistic angle in a game where he values realism: Because it doesn't work.

#18 2018-04-05 01:55:16

Lexyvil

Portager wrote:

It would be cool if the trigger was us, and our reckless use of the environment.

I have a read a comment somewhere that mentioned that Jason once talked about adding a doomsday device that could be made and triggered by players. I love that idea so much, mainly for how it'll probably be very far in the tech tree and the players will somewhat have to work together to ensure it's not activated, haha.

#19 2018-04-05 01:58:05

TrustyWay

Lexyvil wrote:
Portager wrote:

I have a read a comment somewhere that mentioned that Jason once talked about adding a doomsday device that could be made and triggered by players. I love that idea so much, mainly for how it'll probably be very far in the tech tree and the players will somewhat have to work together to ensure it's not activated, haha.

I see well one guy doing that all by himself

#20 2018-04-05 02:00:30

Portager

Lexyvil wrote:
Portager wrote:

It better be super difficult to create, especially with our griefer buddies hanging around.

#21 2018-04-05 02:02:18

Antichthon

Portager wrote:
Lexyvil wrote:
Portager wrote:

It better be super difficult to create, especially with our griefer buddies hanging around.

It doesn't matter how difficult it is to make. If it's in the game, it will be made, and it will be used.

#22 2018-04-05 02:14:19

Alleria

Antichthon wrote:
Alleria wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

Oh, towns are continuously occupied for longer than 24 hours, sure. Probably never a few days, though (Being empty for a few hours still counts.) And yes, the spawning mechanics are most certainly different with Eves than without Eves, and it can't be mapped directly to saying "the game would not last longer than 31 generations." but even with these considerations, I'd never put money on any server being populated after 48 hours, tops, and that's being very generous.

And if I'm wrong, then why don't we do away with Eves, save if the server is entirely extinct? Put a spawn timer on children to avoid Eve being flooded with children (much like reality), go from there. It would certainly fit Jason's MO of trying to capture realism. For that matter, why wasn't it this way to begin with?

There's a reason Jason went out of his way to avoid the obviously more realistic angle in a game where he values realism: Because it doesn't work.

I think the real reason Jason did this because he didn't realise how popular this game would be and he thought there would be dead time (which there is on servers 4+). I think it'd be totally viable, and at least an interesting experiment, if there was a popular server that wipes every time the last player dies, and there's a limited amount of Eves that can spawn (higher Eve rate a start of server decreasing exponentially).

I'd definitely put money on a town, and even a dynasty lasting more than 48 hours eventually. Especially once the average player skill increases. If the average player was as skilled as you or I, there wouldn't be any town massacres, because they'd be stopped rather quickly. The problem is that once I (or my mum in the 31 dynasty scenario) stop a massacre, often I'm the last person left alive. If I'm female, then I repopulate, but if not, the town dies out.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#23 2018-04-05 02:16:49

Antichthon

Alleria wrote:
Antichthon wrote:
Alleria wrote:

I think the real reason Jason did this because he didn't realise how popular this game would be and he thought there would be dead time (which there is on servers 4+). I think it'd be totally viable, and at least an interesting experiment, if there was a popular server that wipes every time the last player dies, and there's a limited amount of Eves that can spawn (higher Eve rate a start of server decreasing exponentially).

I'd definitely put money on a town, and even a dynasty lasting more than 48 hours eventually. Especially once the average player skill increases. If the average player was as skilled as you or I, there wouldn't be any town massacres, because they'd be stopped rather quickly. The problem is that once I (or my mum in the 31 dynasty scenario) stop a massacre, often I'm the last person left alive. If I'm female, then I repopulate, but if not, the town dies out.

I'd like to see that too. If I'm wrong, I'd love to boot out Eves.

#24 2018-04-05 05:39:58

SunWukong

After the apocalypse comes, does this mean that the bears will once more inherit the earth?  That was fun and surreal when it happened on one of the easy mode servers.

#25 2018-04-05 12:53:59

AmyJ96

Apocalypses sound fun, it will make the game more interesting knowing everything could get wiped out at any moment and things have to start all over again. I always prefer being an Eve/born to an Eve than to a busy town usually, as it's more challenging and generally less monotonous, though I can see why it would annoy a lot of people to have their hard work gone to waste.

Board footer