One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-14 03:37:56

Spoonwood

Walk Away, Jog Away, Run Away ... Permanently

This game has forced reproduction with babies coming out of their mothers bodies with no choice to the adult.  It also doesn't allow for any woman to say 'no' to reproduction without her taking her own life or her getting murdered early.  You can call such forced reproduction whatever you like, but how would you feel if you were forced into reproduction?  If all of your sisters, aunts, and female relatives were forced into reproduction?  If no woman could say 'no' to reproduction, even by a contraceptive method, without having to die before 14?

Things aren't going to change either in that respect.  Forced reproduction, apparently, is a permanent design feature of the game.  How humans in the future would feel about that isn't considered, or doesn't matter, or it's papered over with some fable to cover up what happened.  Alternatives like more players starting as young adults, or bots developed to raise children I don't foresee happening.

Even worse, from the looks of it, consent was dismissed as relevant to the game, and classified as a form of "nonsense" *in the real world*, a long time ago:

jasonrohrer wrote:

This should NOT be a game about mating and consent and all that nonsense---if you don't want to have a baby and some griefer male keeps following you around anyway, and then you have a baby against your will, what just happened?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=1184&p=2

But what happens when a "Sky Father" and other beings trying to get born keep following you around forcing reproduction on you?  Do I really need to say any particular word?

Additionally, people speak about video game addiction.  At the very least, such an idea bears some consideration as a possibility.  Have we been addicts all along?  Were we too stupid to really think about what happened in front of our faces or just not care?

There exist so many other things you can do with your time.  You could read a book.  You could read a website.  You could listen to podcasts.  You could take free online courses from EdX.  You could try to learn computer coding.  You could listen to discussions between thinkers.  You could exercise some or more.  You could look at real pieces of art, not some obscene program with forced reproduction built into it.  You can try to think of other things that you might do which you might find good.

What could be more obscene than a commendation (praising) of forced reproduction over and over and over again?

Run away from this game.  If you can't run away from this game, jog away from this game.  If you can't jog away from this game, walk away.  Permanently.  Forever.  And don't turn back.  Or, I suppose, assist so-called "griefers" not for the 'lulz', but to drive other people away from playing this game (there is no such thing as griefing properly speaking...  "Regarding "the spirit of the game," the only spirit present is what is embodied by the mechanics themselves. Playing "against the spirit" of Chess or Go is impossible, despite what some people have said in the past when people employed "perverse" strategies." https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/529).

That's my advice to you.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-02-14 04:18:51

TheRubyCart

Re: Walk Away, Jog Away, Run Away ... Permanently

bEGONe Griefer

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#3 2020-02-14 05:11:32

OneOfMany

lol, tldr, #Dad'sRights

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#4 2020-02-14 05:54:58

unoriginal artist

Dad went to get the milk remember?

#5 2020-02-14 07:01:16

sigmen4020

If you never want to parent there's another very easy option. Just put the baby down on the main fire and forget about their existence. Or if that is not an option, due to being in the wild you can just leave the baby behind. This is game where it’s explicitly said in the trailer that you birth other players. If you somehow feel violated for having random players spawn on you as babies in a supposed parenting simulator, then you are not very sharp. Also comparing players spawning on you in a game to actual forced reproduction is extremely distasteful.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#6 2020-02-14 07:35:05

Dodge

Omg it's a game, players have to spawn, we cant have 99 Eves, what's your solution Spoon?

#7 2020-02-14 08:20:58

Amon

It's...not really without consent.
You consent to give birth whenever born as a woman when you turn on the game on, if you're gonna raise them or not, it's another question entirely.
it's a core mechanic without which, the game would be... Not OHOL.
Now before people go down my throat on consenting to silly things like getting murdered- Well it's a possibility. However OHOL is still OHOL without murder.

OHOL would not be the game it is, if you were not the parent of somebody and/or somebody's child that's another player, and live in what we call, attempted civilisation.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#8 2020-02-14 09:58:28

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:

If you never want to parent there's another very easy option. Just put the baby down on the main fire and forget about their existence.

In your scenario, the player has evidence of them from seeing the baby pop out, and more evidence will exist from the family tree later.  So taking that evidence into account, the character in the game is still a parent.  What you propose doesn't have the structure of abortion, but the structure of infanticide. 

There was still no method that the player undertook as an adult to become a parent.  No way to say 'no' to becoming a parent.  It's still forced reproduction.

Dodge wrote:

Omg it's a game, players have to spawn, we cant have 99 Eves, what's your solution Spoon?

My desire is that people reading the above post stare this facet of the game squarely in the eyes, think about other things in the game also, think about the real world, and never play it again, or get others to never play it again.

Amon wrote:

You consent to give birth whenever born as a woman when you turn on the game on

No, I'm not turning the game on.  I'm not playing.  And I'm encouraging others to not play ever again.  Additionally, the notion of consenting to something that happens in adulthood I find preposterous.

If/since it's a core mechanic that players get forced to reproduce, people who have played this game should not play it again and discourage others from playing it.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-02-14 10:11:53

unoriginal artist

you legit consented to how the game is by buying it, its in trailer what happens also...........................................its moving pictures on a screen man......no one was forced cause legit *its a game character not a real person also no actual action besides OH KID happens you hear a pop and either you pick bb up or not *which i do* cause i want bb. Also when you dont /die as a female its also consenting to you having kids cause A we all know its gonna happen, and B you could have chosen to /die till ur male.

#10 2020-02-14 13:43:00

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

Spoonwood wrote:

No, I'm not turning the game on.  I'm not playing.  And I'm encouraging others to not play ever again.  Additionally, the notion of consenting to something that happens in adulthood I find preposterous.

If/since it's a core mechanic that players get forced to reproduce, people who have played this game should not play it again and discourage others from playing it.

Going to keep it really simple.  Why. Are. You. Here.

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#11 2020-02-14 15:25:53

Spoonwood

FishRfriendsnotfood wrote:

Coming from you Fish that seems like a suggestion that I shouldn't exist.

Anyways, if the question is 'why have I written the above?', it's to try to get people seriously consider never playing again and to protect myself from ever playing again.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-02-14 16:00:21

Amon

Also, I think fish meant, why are you on the forum, not existence itself. Suppose you only do to keep spreading the message, but from what I've seen, only you think this way. You might have better success to just forget OHOL exists and move on to something else that will give you pleasure in playing instead.
And well, if you are so adamant on making people leave, well... That's something for others to decide, Spoon. ^^" If they had an inherent flaw with the mechanic, they would have left eons ago.

Your existence here, since the dawn of multicellular life, has been the result of unspecified organisms cloning themselves/female organisms having offspring, and though most of it, it wasn't a choice, neither was it consented. It was simply winning in this certain thing called living, or rather:
Most animals, if even, do not choose to not have offspring, they just do. Multiplying, in essence is as basic as is existence itself. Sex is good and fun, in fact, most living creatures do not correlate sex with offspring.

And OHOL presents this mighty well. Whether you find this unjust of a system or not.

We may be able to build cars and engines. However, most of animal life, do not connect sex with offspring. Even us, humans did not correlate one with the other for the longest period of our existence. Giving birth was... simply a thing that happens during growing up. That's what happens in OHOL as well, during growing up, through various stages of your life, you give birth.
Birth is just another segment of existence, of living.
And that is how it was seen. By historic humans, by animals, how it is like in OHOL.

Art!!

#13 2020-02-14 16:32:00

Melea

Spoonwood wrote:

Anyways, if the question is 'why have I written the above?', it's to try to get people seriously consider never playing again and to protect myself from ever playing again.

For fuck's sake, if you don't want to play OHOL then JUST DON'T PLAY. Uninstall the game. Stop stalking the forum of a game you dislike. Stop spending hours of your time posting inflammatory and offensive material on that forum. You hate the game - then stop constantly spending time on it. Just walk away. Go live your life.

We're here because we enjoy the game.

Leave. Us. Alone.

Please.

#14 2020-02-14 16:59:28

Spoonwood

Amon wrote:

Your existence here, since the dawn of multicellular life, has been the result of unspecified organisms cloning themselves/female organisms having offspring, and though most of it, it wasn't a choice, neither was it consented. It was simply winning in this certain thing called living, or rather:
Most animals, if even, do not choose to not have offspring, they just do. Multiplying, in essence is as basic as is existence itself. Sex is good and fun, in fact, most living creatures do not correlate sex with offspring.

And OHOL presents this mighty well.

It's a game with people in the future.  It's not a game with the evolution of all lifeforms in it.  There is also no such thing as sexual reproduction in OHOL.  It's all done by means of a computer, and the entities involved are a constant computer programming running, and players logging in.  So, no, it doesn't present any such thing well. 

There still exists forced reproduction though.

Amon wrote:

Giving birth was... simply a thing that happens during growing up. That's what happens in OHOL as well, during growing up, through various stages of your life, you give birth.
Birth is just another segment of existence, of living.
And that is how it was seen. By historic humans, by animals, how it is like in OHOL.

No, that's not how all historic humans saw things.  People have known of some who didn't reproduce throughout human history.

Melea wrote:

Stop stalking the forum of a game you dislike.

I'm pretty sure that a person is the only sort of entity that can get stalked, and a forum is not a person.  I would also believe that you already read these sorts of things by yourself, and that when you read this, you only read words.  I also don't believe that the forums are your own personal space.

Danish Clinch.

#15 2020-02-14 17:36:59

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

This system is literally the main focus of the game.

This post is like going on the Minecraft forums and complaining that you have to mine to progress.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#16 2020-02-14 17:39:28

DestinyCall

It sounds like you need a break from OHOL, Spoon.   

Have you every played Spacestation13?    I think you might enjoy it.   In many ways, it is the game I hoped that OHOL would become when I first started playing.   It offers a ridiculous amount of player freedom, while also encouraging cooperative play and complex interactions between players.    You play as a worker on a space station, assigned a specific job that can range from doctor to cook to engineer to space clown.    As a botanist, you grow food and tinker with plant genetics to create crazy new species.   As a miner, you risk death or dismemberment to gather precious material used by other departments.   As a scientist, you do valuable research (or maybe just blow some stuff up).   

The world is highly interactive and destructuble/constructable.   You can blow a hole in the station and watch as objects (and the room's sir supply) are pulled into space or lose power and have the artificial gravity turn off.    The medical system is extremely in-depth - broken bones, multiple chemicals with a variety of effects, diseases, etc.   If you die, you can be cloned or respawn in a variety of ways.

Even though the game is over a decade old, it still has a dedicated community that continues to keep servers running and highly populated.    And it is available for free!

https://spacestation13.com/about/

One thing to be aware of ... it is an old game and the controls are not very intuitive.   You will want to read the wiki for help getting started and understanding how to play.    Also, be sure to read the rules carefully.    Volating Space Law can get you in trouble with Security and breaking server rules can get you in trouble with the moderators.  Avoid taking jobs above your experience level so you don't end up job-banned.  Most servers have a low tolerance for griefing.

#17 2020-02-14 18:16:17

Amon

Spoonwood wrote:
Amon wrote:

And OHOL presents this mighty well.

It's a game with people in the future.  It's not a game with the evolution of all lifeforms in it.  There is also no such thing as sexual reproduction in OHOL.  It's all done by means of a computer, and the entities involved are a constant computer programming running, and players logging in.  So, no, it doesn't present any such thing well. 

There still exists forced reproduction though.

Ah yes lets also not forget the forced walking, forced sheep shearing and forced iron.
It's called coding, spoonwood.

Art!!

#18 2020-02-14 19:41:32

AmberA

Spoonwood wrote:

TBH is really sounds like you are upset with the game and have quit. Misery loves company so you want others to quit with you. However, looking at this objectively it's clear you are passionate about the game and angry, not sure why but angry about something. If you weren't, you wouldn't bother coming back to the forums, instead you would take your own advice and leave it all behind. I felt that way too once. I did quit during the arc era and it was the best things for my mental health at the time. I'd suggest you take your advice and take a break. If it's permanent then good for you, and if you decide to come back later, that's ok too. People don't post like you are now when they are happy or stable. Really, take a break, delete the link to the forums and the game. You can find them later if you come back but people aren't going to quit cus you tell them to. We are enjoying the game even with all it's flaws. Give yourself some distance and time from the game.

<3

#19 2020-02-14 20:03:29

The_Anabaptist

If the women can't have babies anymore, then the only solution is for the babies to have babies.

The_Anabaptist

#20 2020-02-14 20:17:17

Wuatduhf

AmberA wrote:

TBH is really sounds like you are upset with the game and have quit. Misery loves company so you want others to quit with you. However, looking at this objectively it's clear you are passionate about the game and angry, not sure why but angry about something. If you weren't, you wouldn't bother coming back to the forums, instead you would take your own advice and leave it all behind. I felt that way too once. I did quit during the arc era and it was the best things for my mental health at the time. I'd suggest you take your advice and take a break. If it's permanent then good for you, and if you decide to come back later, that's ok too. People don't post like you are now when they are happy or stable. Really, take a break, delete the link to the forums and the game. You can find them later if you come back but people aren't going to quit cus you tell them to. We are enjoying the game even with all it's flaws. Give yourself some distance and time from the game.

<3

+1

#21 2020-02-14 21:46:04

Chestburster

I've read this topic and I have not been convinced by your persuasion for me to stop playing this game because you don't like it. My argument against this is that while you don't like it, I in fact do like it. If I have purchased a game and I enjoy playing it, I will continue to play it. I think this makes sense.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Chestburster (2020-02-14 21:46:15)

#22 2020-02-14 22:17:51

Spoonwood

AmberA wrote:

TBH is really sounds like you are upset with the game and have quit. Misery loves company so you want others to quit with you.

Misery loves company applies when people go around all having the same or similar negative emotion in the company of each other.  It doesn't apply when walking, jogging, or running away from a game like this, because there is no company in that.

AmberA wrote:

However, looking at this objectively it's clear you are passionate about the game and angry, not sure why but angry about something. If you weren't, you wouldn't bother coming back to the forums, instead you would take your own advice and leave it all behind.

No, I came back to the forums, and I'm not passionate about the game.  I was a fool for having any sort of passion for it when I did.

AmberA wrote:

People don't post like you are now when they are happy or stable.

So you think that people can't be stable and try to dissuade someone else from doing something?

AmberA wrote:

We are enjoying the game even with all it's flaws.

Then apparently you enjoy the thought of human women in the future getting forced into reproduction.  Or that's what you would think if you understood what it's vision is.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2020-02-14 22:28:17

Spoonwood

Chestburster wrote:

I've read this topic and I have not been convinced by your persuasion for me to stop playing this game because you don't like it. My argument against this is that while you don't like it, I in fact do like it. If I have purchased a game and I enjoy playing it, I will continue to play it. I think this makes sense.

Have a nice day.

You have stated your preference.  The only proposition involved there consists of whether or not your preference for the game is accurate or not.

Also, I'm pretty sure I stated more than just displeasure.  I had implied that the game has bad values.

Forced reproduction is bad values.  Serial forced reproduction is even more bad values also.  You can like that all you like, but liking something doesn't make that something good.

There's more bad values inherent in the design of the game, because of how playkillers and destructive players can thrive on cooperative players and those who build.  But, forced reproduction is the most straightforward one.

Danish Clinch.

#24 2020-02-14 22:49:28

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

A lot has changed for you in 27 days huh?

This is a GitHub post of yours complaining you don't get babies on other servers. Which is? Do you want babies or don't you?

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/597

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#25 2020-02-14 23:25:40

Jojigirl

You don't play the game, you're just here trying to get others to feel as you do and for some reason you feel you need to protect yourself from ever playing the game again.. Yet, here you are on the forums pretty much all day long about the same game you need to protect yourself from.

Do you not have a life? Are you lonely and this is your only source of human interaction? I'm so confused why you are so obsessed with a game you want nothing to do with.  Also, why do you feel you need protection from a video game?  It sounds like you have no self control and have some weird obsession with this game that you do not like nor want to play.. Most people would just uninstall it and that's that, no other thought about it.

I'm not trying to be rude, but when mental issues occur, most people can not see that they need help or even see the odd actions and behavior that they are displaying.  If you are on meds, I think you may want to talk about getting them adjusted. If you are off your meds, I think you need to consider getting back on them, or consider some counseling. If you've never been diagnosed with mental issues, you may want to talk to your doctor. I seriously suspect that your mind is a little off balance right now. It happens, just sometimes we can't see it for ourselves.

I wish you luck on whatever is going on mentally with you.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-02-14 23:27:32)

Board footer