One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-08 00:33:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Changes to the way personal curses function

How curses work, currently:

A personal curse blocks someone from being born within 100 tiles of you (ten screens away in all directions) for 30 days.

For each living player that has a given person cursed, that radius goes up by another 100.

So, if five living players have the person cursed, the blocking radius is 500.  Thus, the cursed person can only be born more than 500 tiles away from EACH of these five people.

If, due to curses blocking all possible birth locations, the cursed person has nowhere to go, then they go 20,000 tiles away from EVERYONE, to donkeytown.  That's more than an hour's walk away.  In Donkeytown, for historical reasons, they get black text.

Changes:

--Along with keeping the person from being born near you, you will also avoid being born TO them, with them as your mother, whenever possible.  This doesn't block you from getting born near them, to some other mother.

--A person that you personally cursed will always have black text FOR YOU, whether they are in Donkeytown or not.  Thus, if they are born far away, but make their way back to you, OR were born before you in a town where you end up, you will be able to recognize them.

--They will also have some other marking visible when they are not speaking.  But only for you (or anyone else who has them cursed too).

#2 2020-02-08 00:37:42

fug

Re: Changes to the way personal curses function

Sounds like a bunch of really good changes. Petty people using their curses for every little inconvenience will end up alone while people who properly use their tokens know who is a bad egg right away.

Mom blocking is nice but I think two way blocking would be even better honestly. Overall good changes either way.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2020-02-08 00:48:19

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

This actually sounds good. Witch hunts could possibly be the only negative downside, but honestly if a good player as cursed someone they're probably up to no good anyways.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2020-02-08 00:57:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The initial idea for personal curses was two-way.

Just seems like someone is going to end up shooting off their own foot with that by accident.  By the time you realize it's too late (no place for you to be born), it's too late to fix it.

Cursing is just a personal marking system, so there really shouldn't be a consequence for over-using it, or some way that it can backfire against you.

I'm also wondering if.... somehow.... you could get more info about the people you cursed instead of having them lumped together.  Like each person you curse gets assigned a code-word, and if you encounter them later, you see that word?

So PENNY is that person you cursed for killing all the sheep.
And CAVE is that person you cursed for being rude.
And BASKET is that person ou cursed for killing a whole town.

Later on, if you see CAVE around, they might get a pass, but BASKET would cause you to sound the alarm bells and warn everyone around.

Could be exploited for friends to find each other next life, but the fact that they can't be born near you would put a damper on that.

#5 2020-02-08 00:58:51

jasonrohrer
Administrator

GAH, it's 5:00 already.... gotta table this stuff until next week.

#6 2020-02-08 01:21:08

Legs

This was a terrible idea in the original thread and as expected you gravitated toward it right away.

Expect to see a lot more senseless murder in the coming days.

Loco Motion

#7 2020-02-08 01:30:47

antking:]#

Will black text also go away in 30 days? and is it 30 Days real time or OHOL time?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#8 2020-02-08 01:31:54

pein

sounds good, but you might go on revenge on some baby and get cursed for it, I guess you can just be sneaky about killing marked players

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2020-02-08 02:20:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Real life 30 days.

So...  I have the random names working.  So one griefer is DOLL KING and the other one is STONE BLOOM.  You can recognize them in future lives, b/c they will always have the same cursed name.  This seems good.  Outside the game, you can take notes and remember the really bad ones.  Also, the name shows up for you as soon as you curse them, if they're still alive when you curse them.

The names use a server-side secret to generate, so you can't guess your own name.  Of course, you can ask people what your cursed name is.

Question:    should names be universal?  Should we both see guy X as DOLL KING if we both have him cursed?  So we can conspire on Discord about this DOLL KING guy?

Seems like it could be used by griefers to target and harass.  Whereas if we saw the same guy as a different name each, we couldn't use it to group-target someone across lives.

I'll leave it as a live server setting, and also give myself the ability to turn the whole perma-name thing off if need-be.

#10 2020-02-08 02:28:37

Legs

Violating the anonymity of each life is anathemic to the spirit of the game. You're instituting personal identification between lives. Just recently Spoonwood and JasonY were BANNED for this. But you're making it an in game mechanic. What the hell are you thinking?

Loco Motion

#11 2020-02-08 02:45:01

fug

Legs wrote:

Violating the anonymity of each life is anathemic to the spirit of the game. You're instituting personal identification between lives. Just recently Spoonwood and JasonY were BANNED for this. But you're making it an in game mechanic. What the hell are you thinking?

Guy who griefs who would suffer from this exact mechanic QQ'ing.

In all seriousness why not remove the anonymity from serial griefers? Why should people "going against the spirit of the game" get to sneak around like cockroaches ruining the game for others? If anything he should go full curse name for each and every player because then these type of people get put onto an even playing field.

In the flip case where a troll curses a good player it should still work in the good players favor because they (should have) the troll cursed meaning its a mutual situation where each player knows the other instead of it being one way. Players spread information about bad players and then use this information to basically blacklist like we did in the black text bubble days. Maybe we have drama about babies being known assholes in the community and the village has to decide whether they want to risk someone who could potentially be a rotten egg.

No need to ban players when you can just hover over someone and see it's someone like Post who would basically just be shoot on sight for being such a shitter.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#12 2020-02-08 02:54:41

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I didn't ban anyone...  not sure what you're talking about there.

Cursing is already a way that people are connected across lives.    Every new life is NOT a fresh start in this game. You're the same person.  This is necessary because of reincarnation.

The question is whether this will be abused by friends to recognize each other.  Like we do a friendly curse between each other and use that to recognize each other in future lives.

I don't like that, at all.

But obviously, if you do that to each other, you will never be born near each other.  So that's a pretty big cost..... maybe it's okay.

25% of players who played the game on Thursday were murdered at least one time each.  That's a pretty big deal.

There's a general sense that the same people keep coming back and causing the same trouble over and over, and that under the cover of anonymity, you are powerless to stop them.

There have been multiple calls for me to step in and ban these people manually.

I've said repeatedly that I'm not going to go down that road.  It is an untenable long-term solution.  To fairly ban someone requires many hours of investigation on my part.  And these people will just get alt accounts and come back anyway.

No, there needs to be a collective, dynamic solution to this problem.

For the time being, I'll make the identifying tokens unique to each person who sees the tokens.  You see this griefer as DOLL KING, and I see the same guy as ARMY CHURCH.  So I can't go in Discord and say, "EVERYONE TARGET ARMY CHURCH," because that name will be meaningless to everyone else.

#13 2020-02-08 03:02:15

fug

The ban thing is just from people who've been asking for bans on people who are extra shitty. I really REALLY doubt people are going to be cursing each other to try to specifically find each other because its easy to find certain players on the stuff they do in game when they play. It seems really wasteful to essentially try to form a sort bond between good players by spreading yourselves out via curses.

I definitely think it levels the playing field by taking away their anonymity since these people are making sure to repeatedly pull this kind of crap vs someone who might be doing something goofy once. While I'd rather see everyone see the same two name phrase it's understandable because as you said you would basically have the discord jumping on top of these people 24/7 (which seems fair since the stunts they pull on new players.)

Overall it's a good change either way. It rewards people who don't curse over minor incidents since a small list means you really know when you run into a bad egg. Good change either way.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#14 2020-02-08 03:09:00

JasonY

Will it apply even to people cursed pre-update?

If five people curse a person at the same time, Does everybody get the extended radius for the full 30 days or does it return to normal next life?

Need Content

#15 2020-02-08 03:11:24

fug

JasonY wrote:

Will it apply even to people cursed pre-update?

If five people curse a person at the same time, Does everybody get the extended radius for the full 30 days or does it return to normal next life?

The expanded radius is based off how many people are online that have the player cursed.

Five people curse the same person at one time but only one is online? The online person only has the 100 tile protection. One person curses a player but ten people are online have them cursed? Then each person has a 1000 ban area around them.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#16 2020-02-08 03:17:36

Legs

The griefers are already vehemently praising this as a way to identify heroes. Have fun spewing a black F as a baby and being abandoned in the wild, or cursed then murdered. This update really, really only enables more grief, more murder and more chaos. It's a highly antisocial mechanic that sows discord more than anything.

Loco Motion

#17 2020-02-08 03:26:28

fug

Legs wrote:

The griefers are already vehemently praising this as a way to identify heroes. Have fun spewing a black F as a baby and being abandoned in the wild, or cursed then murdered. This update really, really only enables more grief, more murder and more chaos. It's a highly antisocial mechanic that sows discord more than anything.

QQ, you have to deal with the consequences of acting like an asshat now as people can identify you if they curse you. If someone curses you then you can't be born around them naturally, and with the recent change you can't be born to them (though you can still be born around them.)

So you can't get a cursed player as your baby and they can't birth you but you can see when a shitty baby (or adult) is around the fire. This means in the case of adults you can toss a crappy baby out of the fire room and warn people or you can always just grow up and know who is likely to be doing the griefing around town.

Last edited by fug (2020-02-08 03:43:37)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#18 2020-02-08 03:27:27

Saolin

The idea of having cursed players marked for you in future lives seems useful

jasonrohrer wrote:

Question:    should names be universal?  Should we both see guy X as DOLL KING if we both have him cursed?  So we can conspire on Discord about this DOLL KING guy?

Seems like it could be used by griefers to target and harass.  Whereas if we saw the same guy as a different name each, we couldn't use it to group-target someone across lives.

Universal names seems like a bad idea for the reason you stated.  Individually randomized names creates a level playing field where the name would just function as a personal note for a player to use as they see fit; without creating a follow the leader situation where everyone's heard "Robert Pie" aka DOLL KING is a bad guy, but don't know why.

#19 2020-02-08 03:41:37

Spoonwood

Legs wrote:

You're instituting personal identification between lives.  Just recently Spoonwood and JasonY were BANNED for this.

Have you actually asked JasonY the stated reason for why he got banned?  Because I don't think he got banned for that reason.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-02-08 04:21:34)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#20 2020-02-08 03:49:27

MrGold

Well Jason I have support your decisions for a very long time and I have respected them but this one seems nice but why damn 30 days? Why not just a week. It's also unfair  to people who fight griefers and get cursed for dumb reasons. y*our going  to get cursed for killing a griefer now for now on I will know your a griefer* what the hell? Seems like a personal ban to someone but you are a open target as well as a baby what?! But pls Jason at least listen to a fan who's been playing your game for almost 3 years and i have enjoyed your content to the fullest with friends and family but this I don't like what's going to happen I have fear lots* of fear of this.

Last edited by MrGold (2020-02-08 03:57:37)

Im Mr.Gold I /hmph

#21 2020-02-08 04:05:59

Gogo
Banned

This is great and my griefer-slayer heart loves it.

But um.. griefers can go to next town and accuse babies of being previously cursed, right?

#22 2020-02-08 04:13:00

JasonY

Spoonwood wrote:
JasonY wrote:

You're instituting personal identification between lives.  Just recently Spoonwood and JasonY were BANNED for this.

Have you actually asked JasonY the stated reason for why he got banned?  Because I don't think he got banned for that reason.

"Misquoting others and disruptive behavior despite warnings"

But also notice the irony in spoon woods post.  HE misquoted ME. My #1 hater.

Need Content

#23 2020-02-08 04:18:06

jasonrohrer
Administrator

First, I think it's important that you understand this system.

The 30-day thing has been there for MONTHS.  If you curse someone, they won't be born near you for 30 days.  Nothing has changed there.

What has changed is that if they somehow make it back to your town (or they get born in your town before you get born there, so you are born into a situation where they are already around), you will be able to see them as marked and identify them.

But remember, these marks only appear to YOU, the person who cursed them.  Other people won't see the marks.

Yes, framing nonsense is possible.  Griefers claiming they see a baby as marked, when they really don't.  Well, they can instantly see them as marked for real by cursing them.

However, if multiple people see the same person as marked, then you have strong evidence that they are bad.  Though the likelihood of that happening is slim, b/c one of those people would have likely blocked the griefer from being born there in the first place.

The main thing this is for is to help identify traveling visitors.  They weren't born here, so I might not trust them... are they marked?

#24 2020-02-08 04:23:26

Cantface

Sounds promising to me! We should at least give it a go before judging too harshly, it could work well!

Breasticles

#25 2020-02-08 04:26:08

Spoonwood

JasonY wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
JasonY wrote:

"Misquoting others and disruptive behavior despite warnings"

But also notice the irony in spoon woods post.  HE misquoted ME. My #1 hater.

I've edited it above.  I can't express how much it pisses me off seeing that I made that mistake, and from my recollection I've done this before, using the wrong name for the quotation, but I think I caught it before anyone else seemed to notice.  I think I copy and pasted part of what Legs wrote, instead of the whole thing, and was thinking about you, so I ended up putting your name in the quote box.  I probably should have just used the quote feature... but I've also found it awkward when trying to keep in mind other comments in a thread, though I wasn't doing that here.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-02-08 04:36:52)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer