One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-01 01:51:13

Jamie

Do we need a transport update/rebalance

Currently the Horse Cart is the best transport. The only  real downside is they can run away and babies are a bit more difficult. But these things aren't enough to make us "upgrade" to cars.

Cars are faster and don't run away but are very expensive and require fuel. Plus they have less storage options. Planes seem good on paper but you don't really need insta travel and they are too easy to lose to be worth. Both are prime targets to be stolen.

Are we gonna be stuck with Schizo tech forever?

Last edited by Jamie (2020-02-01 02:01:09)

#2 2020-02-01 02:12:00

Kinrany

Re: Do we need a transport update/rebalance

#3 2020-02-01 03:18:45

DestinyCall

The obvious solution is to make horses die of old age, just like dogs.

Tech tree balanced.

#4 2020-02-01 05:19:56

testo

DestinyCall wrote:

The obvious solution is to make horses die of old age, just like dogs.

Tech tree balanced.

Worst idea ever, that doesn´t make any sense.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#5 2020-02-01 05:21:29

DestinyCall

Sure it does.   If horses die like may-flies, the car will look better by comparison.

#6 2020-02-01 08:07:40

testo

DestinyCall wrote:

Sure it does.   If horses die like may-flies, the car will look better by comparison.

Car and Plane are just a waste of resources Destiny. I expected someone interested in spreading information about yum and "good food" for family survival to realize each car use is seven buckets of water. Thats like food for five full lives if not more.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#7 2020-02-01 10:11:42

sigmen4020

I’d personally see cars and planes get better rather than the horse cart get worse. Maybe the horse tire cart could use a small nerf, but nerfing the horse cart into the ground won’t suddenly bring cars and planes back into relevance. As it stands they would still be a huge waste of resources even with the horse cart possibly being merged. Tbh I’d rather use a regular cart with no tires than use a car, that’s how bad they are.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#8 2020-02-01 10:28:15

Jamie

sigmen4020 wrote:

I’d personally see cars and planes get better rather than the horse cart get worse. Maybe the horse tire cart could use a small nerf, but nerfing the horse cart into the ground won’t suddenly bring cars and planes back into relevance. As it stands they would still be a huge waste of resources even with the horse cart possibly being merged. Tbh I’d rather use a regular cart with no tires than use a car, that’s how bad they are.

And that is the issue

#9 2020-02-01 15:45:20

cvos88

What if Jason added something in between to bridge the gap? Like a horse drawn carriage!!! it could be made by combining:

Horse + Unpowered Crude Car + Plane wing = HORSE DRAWN CARRIAGE

This would utilize the beginning tech for the car and plane so people are more willing to try making them. Thus making them and their component parts more relevant. I think it would be awesome if it could hold another person (aka a baby) but that would be over powered. Maybe the baby could take up all the space in the carriage so you'd have to empty out your belongings to bring the baby back to town but you wouldn't lose your horse drawn carriage that way.

Last edited by cvos88 (2020-02-01 15:46:26)

P.S. I love you Kal. Take care <3

#10 2020-02-01 16:04:30

DestinyCall

testo wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Car and Plane are just a waste of resources Destiny. I expected someone interested in spreading information about yum and "good food" for family survival to realize each car use is seven buckets of water. Thats like food for five full lives if not more.

Oh I know.   That is why extreme methods would be necessary to make cars look like a good idea compared with my old friend, the horse cart, or even better, the horse cart with tires.   Cars and planes have been dead tech for a long time.   Even when they first came out, when water and oil was less scarce, they were essentially just a late-game iron sink for rich towns.    They serve no practical purpose and do not work as even a replacement for the humble hand cart.

My real suggestion would be to change the way the car burns fuel.   Give the car a gas guage and ignition switch, so it turns off when not in use.   Let the car run for a LONG time on a single tank of gas, so you can keep using your car for the rest of your life without fiddling around with tanks of kerosene.   That would free up space in the cab and make the car more reliable for long distance travel.   Finally, add a trailer, similar to the cart, which attaches to the car and provides space for additional items, up to twelve.    Then a properly equipped and gased up car is superior to a horse cart, but expensive to produce.

However, all that sounds like too much work.   Making horses get old would be easier.

#11 2020-02-01 23:08:34

antking:]#

Their should be a horse update

- Horse die of old age

- Horse will need to be feed, this could be with sugar bowls, carrots, and wheat
making Horses more resource intensive

- Horse's will be breedable, but they both need to be tamed, and unsaddled
To counter act the dying horses, and so that horses can be more avalible

- Horse will poop a lot, their poop will decay in 5 min and can't be used for compost, but poop can be moved with shovel and bucket combo
This means keeping horses take up a lot of space

- Horses will need to stop and rest every 5-10 min for 1-3 min
because horses are animals

- Horse rubber tire cart decays (faster then the normal tire cart)
because normal tire carts decay

and I think that would make Horses slightly powerful

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#12 2020-02-01 23:15:48

cvos88

Why do you all want to suffer? O_o I’s so much more exciting when something new gets added than when things get nerfed. Y’all been watching too much twisted and starting to think a little twisted

#13 2020-02-01 23:38:10

Ilka

cvos88 wrote:

Why do you all want to suffer? O_o I’s so much more exciting when something new gets added than when things get nerfed. Y’all been watching too much twisted and starting to think a little twisted

It is venomous sarcasm and bitter irony speak through these poor people.
And unfortunately experience.
big_smile big_smile big_smile

#14 2020-02-02 00:24:46

fug

antking:]# wrote:

Their should be a horse update

- Horse die of old age

- Horse will need to be feed, this could be with sugar bowls, carrots, and wheat
making Horses more resource intensive

- Horse's will be breedable, but they both need to be tamed, and unsaddled
To counter act the dying horses, and so that horses can be more avalible

- Horse will poop a lot, their poop will decay in 5 min and can't be used for compost, but poop can be moved with shovel and bucket combo
This means keeping horses take up a lot of space

- Horses will need to stop and rest every 5-10 min for 1-3 min
because horses are animals

- Horse rubber tire cart decays (faster then the normal tire cart)
because normal tire carts decay

and I think that would make Horses slightly powerful

Dumb restrictions are dumb. Make cars better instead of all these gimmicks to bring things down in power because he doesn't want high tech to be useful in the first place.

Remove the hands of adults so they can no longer pick things up to make it fair for babies who can't interact at all. Haha, now its balanced!

This game philosophy of nerfing things for the sake of dragging out the long stale content is just plain dumb at this point. Make cars into tractors or sprinklers, give them more slots, make them do literally anything instead of nerfing the horse to make up for how shit Jason wants cars to be.

It's frustrating how much fun this game used to be where you had tons of choices of what to do and now it's all about restricting that until there's barely any left at all.

Remember when each life you had the choice to do whatever you wanted? Remember when the only thing holding yourself back was whether you wanted to learn to do something? You didn't have to choose between doing a single gimmick or helping the town. You didn't have to ask yourself whether or not you should go afk in the woods for 20+ minutes after finishing the engine to keep meme score or if you should just die so you can actually play the game.

It's sad looking back how You are Hope is going to be the better ohol because they expand on the fun ideas of the game and Jason goes in the direction of removing the fun for some fantasy version of the game he won't actually commit to.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#15 2020-02-02 00:48:53

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

Dumb restrictions are dumb. Make cars better instead of all these gimmicks to bring things down in power because he doesn't want high tech to be useful in the first place.

Remove the hands of adults so they can no longer pick things up to make it fair for babies who can't interact at all. Haha, now its balanced!

This game philosophy of nerfing things for the sake of dragging out the long stale content is just plain dumb at this point. Make cars into tractors or sprinklers, give them more slots, make them do literally anything instead of nerfing the horse to make up for how shit Jason wants cars to be.

It's frustrating how much fun this game used to be where you had tons of choices of what to do and now it's all about restricting that until there's barely any left at all.

Remember when each life you had the choice to do whatever you wanted? Remember when the only thing holding yourself back was whether you wanted to learn to do something? You didn't have to choose between doing a single gimmick or helping the town. You didn't have to ask yourself whether or not you should go afk in the woods for 20+ minutes after finishing the engine to keep meme score or if you should just die so you can actually play the game.

It's sad looking back how You are Hope is going to be the better ohol because they expand on the fun ideas of the game and Jason goes in the direction of removing the fun for some fantasy version of the game he won't actually commit to.

I think I agree with everything you've said here fug.  My latest life on bs2 where I had tool restrictions just lead me to think that playing low pop was a better choice, because I ran out of tool slots and couldn't even use a shovel to dig up big hard rocks to make the tower for a newcomen multipurpose engine.  My previous life as son of Eve had me imploring others to use the town's first axe and watching extra kindling get burnt since we didn't have firewood as quickly as I could have used the firewood had I had to ability to use the axe I made.  I couldn't use the shovel that I made either, and I think less adobe got dug up as a result.  Additionally, when I started playing OHOL again and more or less stopped playing Oxygen Not Included, I thought, 'why do I prefer OHOL, when ONI and Rimworld are better designed game?'  Then I realized it's because I directly control a character in OHOL, while it's all indirect in ONI and Rimworld and I would sit back and watch duplicants or pawns do other things and just plan.  OHOL at least has, and still does in certain circumstances, give a person a feeling of doing something (of course, one just clicks a few buttons in reality).  But, with tool restrictions, the feeling of doing something gets inhibited, so some of the advantages it has over other games ends up lacking due to such restrictions.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#16 2020-02-02 12:50:26

pein

my idea was: horses need to eat some grain which you can do in the wilderness but you need a branch and wheat to do so or a cart with some grain
this would remove some grain which was an issue always, also horses would have a slight downside
they could slow down a lot when they hungry and tired, so you can reach the required biome but not go forward forever without addressing the issue

cars should be way better. for starters there is a balance issue where 2 tires make normal carts hold 8 items, so 4 wheels and 4 tires should really make cars carry more stuff.
then there is the issue with kerosene which was plenty back in the day but right now is just crazy that you would ride a car instead of getting water with it.
the main issue is that you can't predict the distance with a car and it's still running when you don't need it to run. so instead of a time-based usage, we would need a distance-based usage or a way higher time frame. But that's just not logical that you keep the car running all the time.
And if we want to be historically correct, oil was quite easy to get and people could afford to waste a lot of it at the start, now thinking of real history, sure, in-game that 100 years wouldn't be that much but as long as we don't have other alternatives, we shouldn't have oil as a top resource which should only be used one way.

Stretching the content by slowing down people was a dick move. Nobody enjoys this tool slots and specializations cause they don't make sense. And even if you enjoy it, you could do the same job all your life without being forced to do it. Same thing all over again with the family bans. Everybody enjoyed being born back to the same city, be the daughter of your own grandkid, stuff like that. But then some weird-ass idiots suggest that shouldn't be possible cause they need to be forced to born somewhere else, so rather than that 5% tops players to suicide, make the other 95% of player base suicide over and over to get back to the same place.

Restrictions are okay when you can get over them. Tool slots? give more of them when you got older, that's logical and realistic. Make teamwork a requirement. If we would use up some energy and need to wait to replenish, would be logical that we get help. We wouldn't be limited to do stuff by magical mental blocks. I can use a hatchet to chop up stuff but I can't figure out how an axe works? I want to save the fire but the game thinks I want to cook stuff? cut up a lasso makes me use the lasso? If others could save me energy on my projects and asking them would help me do my goals, that would be fine. Instead of doing a small part of a small job which never gets made without me. I like to build megalomaniac projects which last, not to gather shit and never be able to do anything with them.

It's not fun to do the jobs others don't want to! Why would it be? Some people ignore all others to have fun, meanwhile, others got to clean up after them, and they are the more experienced players.

Cars should be worth it. Another thing which could be a limitation so cars won't get lost is roads. You can only go on roads with them which would make them hard to get lost since you need a long connected road to steal it, and even if they take it they cannot leave in the wilderness, so someone gets some use out of it.

The distance can be a problem early game, late-game we should have solutions to overcome the distance. So the family limit of getting a horse is a really bad change. Makes black families more valuable early and helps thieves later. A few times I saw white families hoarding all horses to an offsite camp and bell towns are griefed over and over but people keep getting the horses there. Also, dumb players taking a horse to make a bad pseudo eve camp which dies out anyway. If horses could be bred, then we would need a better mechanic to keep them alive and easy to find new ones. More cost-based, less luck and work-based.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2020-02-02 13:30:20

Rose

The most needed transport update is something to carry our babies.

#18 2020-02-02 14:49:02

cvos88

Rose wrote:

I definitely agree with this. Even if it’s just like a baby wrap made from cloth. OOOOoo the cloaks could work as a baby wrap! They’re pretty useless right now. Making them baby wraps would mean you don’t get a backpack but totally worth it in my opinion

#19 2020-02-02 16:02:37

Spoonwood

Rose wrote:

I think that such would be likely to affect player retention more than better cars, at least if done right.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer