One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-27 16:02:21

Gogo
Banned

Next step after titles - lands

Our families can't last? So let's make kingdoms and let them last! Hipotetical:

You need to be on top of hierarchy to claim a land. Higher you are, bigger land you can get.

You say 'I claim this land' and you create a kingdom (actual name for it depends on your rank).

Now, everybody who enters it will get info like "RED EMPIRE" tongue or "BLUE COUNTY" (the name of it can't be the same as family name). The size of land - square 0,1k or 0,05k, I'm not sure how big (from point where you stand when you claimed it).

After some time next ruler can claim more land, just like with time we can make bell tower base bigger and bigger. OR depends on how much citizens the ruler have.

The land will vanish if you and your followers die or unfollow and no other royals take over. (how they can take over is another thing to consider)

My idea is not, however, finished. I don't know how exactly it can work and what for. Maybe only citizens can create properties within the kingdom and cursed people will lose their citizenship. Any suggestions? My biggest concern is as quick as someone can lose title as quick the land borders can get smaller. :-/

Last edited by Gogo (2020-01-27 16:05:46)

#2 2020-01-27 18:23:35

Tipy

Re: Next step after titles - lands

Yes I would love this.
The hierarchy system has a lot of pottential, hopefully he expands it in the future.

Hierarchies need to be more dynamic and stables. Babies should follow their mama and not just follow whoever she follows. This way hierarchies can start without somebody just going around towns begging for followers. Also This way hopefully hierarchies will be less flat. I have never seen someone be hiergher than a duke because everybody just follows one or two people.
Once you follow somebody there could be a 5 or 10 year cooldown before you can unfollow or change alliginace
People always forget to choose an heir which makes every hierarchy doomed after one or two generations. There could be a comman such as ''You are my heir'' or ''Eve Smith is the heir to the throne'' which makes that person the heir (Count Eve Smith heir to the throne) which gifts them the title they inheirted after the death of the person that made them heir.
People would still forget to choose their heir tho so the game could also pick the closest family member as a heir if the king dies and there hasn't been a selected heir by the late king
Or maybe The king can say something which turns a clothing item into a totem of power which once worn by somebody gives them the title and followers (eh I prefer the other ideas more)

Laws would be cool. But as it stands right now laws can't be enforced and are too easy to fabricate. To deal with the fabrication issue I think signitures could do the trick. Basically Quil pen + simmering blue dye makes signature pen that has ten uses (we can't make it like elder quil pen where only one use because we don't have non boiling blue dye that disapears). You can use the pen to sign notes that also turns them pernement. Once signed the note will read whatever the note has written on it plus the name and title of the signature in a different colour. Ex: ''Thou shall not kill -King Louis Bourbon''. The different colour on the signature will make it unforagble. This way we can have laws, contracts, petitions, bank notes and much more. This pen shall not have an age restriction of 55 because then it would just never get used. Whatever the crafting matterials are they shouldn't be expensive or blocked by race restrictions (we want all families to have access to it and it not take lots of work to make).

Maybe the person in the highest position of a hierarchy can declare wars on other hiarchies (instead of random elders at other families)

Maybe the king can apoint a judge by saying ''I apoint you/Eve Smith as judge'' who can use items such as stun battons to stun people and put them in jail? The judge could also give such powers to lesser policemen/guards.
We can have other apointable titles too, like ministers (minister of technological progress, agriculture, transport and storage etc), chancellors, royal cooks/clothiers and many more

Last edited by Tipy (2020-01-27 18:57:15)

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#3 2020-01-28 09:05:43

Gogo
Banned

Tipy wrote:

Once you follow somebody there could be a 5 or 10 year cooldown before you can unfollow or change alliginace

Yes.

Tipy wrote:

People always forget to choose an heir which makes every hierarchy doomed after one or two generations.

That's why other royals should take over. The land should have a state. If there are no royals the state is 'unoccupied'. If some royals appears the highest rank can say 'I take over' and that's how lands can last.

After a time unoccupied land became wilderness again.

Tipy wrote:

You can use the pen to sign notes that also turns them pernement. Once signed the note will read whatever the note has written on it plus the name and title of the signature in a different colour. Ex: ''Thou shall not kill -King Louis Bourbon''. The different colour on the signature will make it unforagble.

Interesting idea.

Tipy wrote:

Maybe the person in the highest position of a hierarchy can declare wars on other hiarchies (instead of random elders at other families)

Yes.

Tipy wrote:

Maybe the king can apoint a judge by saying ''I apoint you/Eve Smith as judge'' who can use items such as stun battons to stun people and put them in jail? The judge could also give such powers to lesser policemen/guards.
We can have other apointable titles too, like ministers (minister of technological progress, agriculture, transport and storage etc), chancellors, royal cooks/clothiers and many more

That's a tricky part, but maybe. It will connect with my other idea that some people should have assigned jobs. Right now your mom takes care of you, then it's up to you what to do. Always. There are no different situations to deal with, all towns are the same.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-01-28 09:06:28)

#4 2020-01-28 11:10:34

Jamie

Interesting idea. What would owning land entail, Would it prevent outsiders from taking items.

Part of me thinks that's the only way to give leaders any real power. Even if you don't support them you might join them for access. If they die unoccupied land couldnt be accessed until another claims it or eventually it goes away.

That way being exiled would actually be harmful. A coup would still be possible for corrupt leaders. But otherwise a good leader could exile griefers and prevent them from messing with stuff.

But people still probably rather live with no kingdom. Maybe you need to have claimed land before you can build more advanced tech.

But people won't take any change to the system well. May as well enjoy this thread before people come to whine.

Also be cool to get more modern ruler titles later on.

Last edited by Jamie (2020-01-28 11:36:14)

#5 2020-01-28 16:45:57

Flachzang

But I just want to enjoy my milkweed and have freedom!

#6 2020-01-28 16:49:18

fug

Titles are just memes and this sounds mostly like a meme suggestion.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#7 2020-01-28 16:53:06

Flachzang

We will see if you say the same once taxes are implemented and due to your king.

#8 2020-01-28 18:43:50

DestinyCall

Is anyone really using the royal titles?   I haven't seen one in a while.

#9 2020-01-28 20:30:36

pein

sure, more meme things as part of the base play mechanics cause the others turned out so nicely

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2020-01-29 10:15:40

Gogo
Banned

We're bored after survival part, more steps progress into culture or tech are fine with me.

Jamie wrote:

What would owning land entail, Would it prevent outsiders from taking items.

Too unrealistic. But maybe something like - it takes time to use horses from a land (they are tamed by locals) so outsider can't immediately steal our shit.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-01-29 10:16:10)

#11 2020-02-02 12:44:53

Tipy

DestinyCall wrote:

Is anyone really using the royal titles?   I haven't seen one in a while.

I see them from time to time. The problem is that hiarcheries die in one or two generations and you can't set up one wihout going around begging people for followers
Babies following their mother at birth could help a lot to deal with that.

But generaly the hiarchies need a bit of an expansion by Jason

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#12 2020-02-02 15:03:37

testo

fug wrote:

Titles are just memes and this sounds mostly like a meme suggestion.

Well, memeboard is a meme and look what it does now.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#13 2020-02-04 03:22:25

NiGB0

That's impossible due to the current hierarchy system.
To have kingdoms the only way is a "Family Hierarchy System" were there's a leader per family.
Eve choose her heir, then when he takes the throne he choose a new heir and so on until the lineage dies.

Eve Gomez

#14 2020-02-09 02:34:49

Gogo
Banned

NiGB0 wrote:

To have kingdoms the only way is a "Family Hierarchy System" were there's a leader per family.

Thanks to new update we will follow mom if she has no leader.

One step closer. wink

#15 2020-02-09 21:42:50

SirCaio

I like this! Here are some more food for thought:

-The claiming of land starts with a king/queen saying "I claim this land" wich creates a kingdom, represented by a big octagonal area around them marked by a small line of the same color as the badges;
-The kingdom and its area can be upgraded to empire once an emperor is elected and declares "I expand this land";
-Everyone entering the area receives a ding message informing "Entered the Jones Kingdom" or "Entered the Smith Empire";
-Every item inside the kingdom's borders belongs to the hierarchy that claimed the land and are only interactable for them (this may or may not incentivize trade, albeit only outside the kingdom's borders, over just stealing);
-Other families/hierarchies are given access through peace;
-Other families that are neutral or at war plus people that have been exiled by a count or above have no access to the kingdom's goods (showing as "Owned by the Jones" on mouse over, while stuff in their backpack/hands are safe);

A system like this expands the leadership mechanics and incorporates a form of collective property, different from property fences wich are personal.

Possible effects:
-Incentive to trade over stealing;
-Meaningful downsides to being exiled;
-Walled cities with gates that are only usable by the trusted and unblockable by griefers, since everything they set down inside the borders becomes unsable by them.

#16 2020-02-12 05:01:05

Gogo
Banned

This, however, can lead to a situation like this: 3 griefers killed the whole town, took over land and smash everything inside, while no one can stop them.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-02-12 05:03:16)

Board footer