One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-20 15:27:07

Jamie

Why so much murder in cities?

In my limited experience, Murder is rare in small towns. Every now and then theirs a griefer but usually you can go a life without any murder.

But in cities somebodies getting stabbed every five minutes. You can never keep up with who's been murdered or whoever is "griefing".

Usually people get avenged if they are stabbed, sometimes the avengers are killed too. Sometimes people are healed stabbed again.

Some people get involved, try to "police" the town by killing alleged griefers. Can't help but question them when it's always them doing the killing. I don't get involved, Usually I just try to work on things.

Usually the situation works itself out. The people killing each other get rid of themselves. Eventually only the ones who didn't get involved are left.

Still I don't know why people are bigger assholes in the big cities.

#2 2020-01-20 15:34:30

schmloo

Re: Why so much murder in cities?

Guards are stupid. They can’t be trusted because there’s no way to tell if they are genuine about trying to keep a town safe simply from altruism (spending a whole hour just to thwart potential griefers) or if they’re looking to try and end a lineage. It’s better to just be a vigilante and earn people’s trust, and run the risk of getting revenge stabbed.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#3 2020-01-20 15:57:39

Legs

I almost always wear a medic apron in bell towns. Three pads, needle and thread and a knife to do surgery with. Sometimes I'll go my whole life and never have to heal anyone. Sometimes all the medicine gets used at once and I'm desperately making more while the murders continue.

In my experience violence comes in short but intense bursts. One person kills and it destroys the peace. Suddenly the town becomes divided. The killer is evil! No, no the person he killed is evil! The underbergs are all evil! Wait no you're wrong, the connells are evil! He stabbed my mom! Kill all connells!

It creates this feedback loop where people take sides and the supporters of each side create a chain of revenge killings. Morality gets blurry and there's no real justice to any of it. Just pointless violence. It really makes me second guess, even if I'm sure of the situation. Do I want to get involved, knowing I'll almost certainly die?

Yesterday some naked idiot in the nursery kept stabbing babies. They were such a bad baby because they moved one tile from the fire where she placed them, because it was too hot and she wasn't feeding them enough. She killed at least three babies for no real reason. I cursed her. Later on she led a posse of gullible morons to try and kill me so I had to leave town. There's really no winning sometimes.

Loco Motion

#4 2020-01-20 16:11:20

pein

you said it, it's because of the population and the fact that you finished the important stuff

more people means more friction, I remember the ginger update you couldn't play normally cause you had 5 people for each item on the camp, killing people wasn't punished at all, because everyone looked the same and we had too many anyway

but even with 12+ people, you don't really have any essential jobs to do

stuff like paper, glasses or tree planting really depends on resources like water or sand

without water, you cannot farm, without rubber can't upgrade water, without the right races you cannot do stuff
so all you left with is some dumb project which gets annoying if others screw your work so you left with killing others

90% of guards are useless rp-ers who end up killing someone at a point in their life regardless if innocent or guilty
all the time I see people that are "hunters" they end up dead by an animal or kill others at the end

the other day I saw an old lady stab, someone, I stab it back
some player healed her, a younger girl, probably a daughter
I didn't know If I was right or not, but when she killed another guy I knew I need to kill it, I did again and she got healed again and I was killed

so you got to let it roll out, maybe give a weapon to some old guy or a useless player so they can test out the waters first

the ideal scenario is that you wait they stab someone, kill the guy who heals the griefer so she ends up alone next time she tries to kill someone
generally, you want to have some fun stuff in cities to keep the players engaged

to bad duels aren't skill-based, they would make some sense, and you could build arenas, but this clown fiesta is always favours the griefers

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2020-01-20 16:17:31

DestinyCall

Big towns tend to bring out the worst in people.   I think it is a combination of factors, rather than one specific reason.   

More people in one spot means more chances of a "bad seed" somewhere in the town.   And multiple families in one place increases the chances of a misunderstanding due to language barriers and low-key racism/tribalism.   

Also, big towns tend to have an abundance of basic resources, like food and clothing, compared with smaller towns.    This encourages players to assume there is no work that needs to be done.   This is rarely true, but the jobs that are most familiar to people used to living in smaller towns are more likely to be filled in a town with a higher population.    There are usually plenty of supporting roles that are vital for keeping the town alive, but since these jobs are less visible and uncommon in smaller towns, they are easier to overlook.   The result is that some players are unable to find meaningful work in a big town.   This leads to boredom, which can lead to goofing off, roleplaying, and sometimes random murder or griefing.   Too much free-time tends to be a recipe for murder, since bored people love to "spice up" the game with a bit of hilarious stabbing.

#6 2020-01-20 16:39:56

ollj

its all grief in disguise, and griefers take the lazy challenge of prefering crowded places.

this has nothing to do with boredom, but everything to do with lazyness.

griefing an eve is actualy work, cause food is scarce.

Last edited by ollj (2020-01-20 16:41:11)

#7 2020-01-20 16:48:15

Dodge

Big cities are boring as fuck, no more challenge, nothing to do except crafting meaningless objects.

So murder comes as a cheap way of killing boredom.

In smaller villages you have stuff to do, usually you're naked so making clothes is a good start, make farm bigger, no more tools etc.

#8 2020-01-20 16:49:29

JonySky
Website

I'm going to be the ugly duckling in this conversation, but ... there I go
I think the killer is currently very discriminated against and it is increasingly difficult to generate chaos in cities

Yes !, surely this will not please many people, but you must think that many of the good stories that have emerged are thanks to the griefers or murderers

and I'm not talking about the boring murderer who grabs a knife or a bow and kills the first person he sees ... I'm talking about the griefer who generates chaos but we never know his identity, or the intelligent serial killer who kills without being detected (all an art, by the way!)

To think that if right now we completely eliminate the annoying griefers and murderers of the game ... OHOL would lose a very important part of the stories and the great heroes that save cities

Jason has made it clear that the murders, xenophobia and decay of the cities must be in OHOL (like it or not)
Then let's do it well !!!! let's implement the killer's job correctly

no, it's not a joke, I'm serious!
Sometimes I want to play 2 or 3 games of OHOL and in one of those lives I want to be a murderous psychopath ... hell this is a sandbox and many people adopt roles of husband, or watchman, or commercial, even weddings are held ! ... but the murderer is marginalized ... it is impossible to adopt the figure of the murderer without being cursed and despised ... perhaps it is time to change this!

I would implement more ways to kill, or generate chaos, but at the same time I would also create more possibilities to detect and counteract these murderers (for example, implementing jails, shackles, detectives, bloody clothes, etc ...)

#9 2020-01-20 16:59:16

Dodge

JonySky wrote:

The issue with 99% of murders right now is that it's purely meaningless, you dont kill for an actual in game reason like for example because someone else has steel that you need and doesn't want to give it to you and if you dont have it your family will die.

It's just random killing for the lolz, if it was for a reason there would be an actual story behind it but right now it's just senseless.

Dont get me wrong it's more interesting than doing the same boring useless crafting, because at least there is an interaction and something happening.

#10 2020-01-20 17:01:39

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

People are stupid and don't know how to do anything but basic stuff so they kill because they're "bored".

Yes there's not that much tech, but there's always something to do, something to improve. If you're bored in an end game town you're probably not a good player. It is your opportunity to try stuff that isn't vital to survival. Never made a radio before? Try it. Do stuff you've never done and couldn't do before. Dogs, Fishing, Yum making. The sheep pen is still made of property fences? Fix that. Kitchen is small or in a bad spot? Fix it. There's pine floors instead of wood floors? The list is endless.

But instead people go to the lowest entertainment. It's pretty pathetic. If you're not having fun just starve yourself and play something else or just get gud.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2020-01-20 17:29:11

JonySky
Website

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

People are stupid and don't know how to do anything but basic stuff so they kill because they're "bored".

Yes there's not that much tech, but there's always something to do, something to improve. If you're bored in an end game town you're probably not a good player. It is your opportunity to try stuff that isn't vital to survival. Never made a radio before? Try it. Do stuff you've never done and couldn't do before. Dogs, Fishing, Yum making. The sheep pen is still made of property fences? Fix that. Kitchen is small or in a bad spot? Fix it. There's pine floors instead of wood floors? The list is endless.

But instead people go to the lowest entertainment. It's pretty pathetic. If you're not having fun just starve yourself and play something else or just get gud.

That attitude is just the one I don't understand ... that of forcing another player to play in a certain way in a sandbox game

DiscardedSlinky I have done almost everything in this game, I have played on servers of low popularity and I have had my own cities, I have been eve of long lineages, I like to play as a language teacher and I usually create dictionaries to teach the language to other families and create a more united community, I have explored distant lands to more than 3k squares of my city, I have saved cities and I have created chaos in others, I have played in the rift and out of it, I have played with skill boxes and without skills .. .

Am I stupid for playing killer in a sandbox where murder has been enabled?
And if I told him that I only kill the griefers? It wouldn't seem so stupid anymore? true?

I think the killer role can take a place in OHOL if it is done with respect and with a head ...

I totally agree with Dodge ... currently the killers are simply spontaneous players who kill without reason and without meaning ...

But maybe if we stop penalizing murderers, if we normalize the role of murderer and learn to counteract them with new strategies and tools I think the game can be more fun for everyone.

I think that multiple posts to ban and ban murderers harm us all (murderers and pacifists)

Last edited by JonySky (2020-01-20 17:30:04)

#12 2020-01-20 18:22:23

Dodge

JonySky wrote:

The issue with the game is the lack of structure.

You can do wathever you want but not because you earn it but because everything is just there.

And since you can just do wathever, everyone is playing their own game instead of playing the same game.

Those who play it as a crafting/building game and dont mind doing the same repetitive tasks even if these dont have a meaning like making a radio for the sake of making a radio and nothing else see murderers as someone that disrupts "their game" that's why they are so upset and vocal about it.

The lack of structure means we all play a different game, this is what causes so much conflict and the community to be divided.

#13 2020-01-20 19:50:09

DestinyCall

There's almost always a lot of stuff to do in a big city.   Anyone who gets bored probably just isn't looking very hard to find useful things to do.   It takes more creativity to find work when the obvious stuff is already done, but there are always dozens of auxiliary jobs being neglected in a high-population town as well as many things that need to be done in a village of any size.  One of the most neglected jobs in any big town is organization and construction related jobs.   Big busy towns tend to become overwhelmingly cluttered.   Tons of resources scattered all over the place.   Lots of farms and seed bowls, but no signage.   It becomes a game of I Spy to find what you need, even if everything is technically available.    This clutter madness also hides critical shortages.   The town will have a dozen useless knitting needles and yet you can't find the skewer you need to mix latex anywhere in a five hundred tile radius. 

Bone clutter, bowl clutter, clothing clutter ... the list goes on and on.    Making designated areas and consolidating stuff in logical ways can make city living much more pleasant.   And extra benefit of helping you identify what jobs are being actively worked on and which ones have become blocked by a lack of necessary materials.   

I never get bored in a big city, because there are always a ton of things you can do to help the town survive another generation of "bored" players trying to tear it apart.   And there are always a bunch of unique crafting projects that are ONLY possible in a sufficiently stable advanced town which I want the opportunity to play around with.

#14 2020-01-20 20:20:11

Dodge

JonySky wrote:

Some players are entertained by cleaning up others mess during their whole playtrough and see more action based experiences like chasing a murderer as an annoyance.

#15 2020-01-20 22:35:11

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

JonySky wrote:

I think the killer role can take a place in OHOL if it is done with respect and with a head ...

I totally agree with Dodge ... currently the killers are simply spontaneous players who kill without reason and without meaning ...

But maybe if we stop penalizing murderers, if we normalize the role of murderer and learn to counteract them with new strategies and tools I think the game can be more fun for everyone.

I think that multiple posts to ban and ban murderers harm us all (murderers and pacifists)

Killing random people who have done nothing wrong isn't fun. Maybe it's fun for you, but it ruins their experience and the people's around them experience. There's so many new people running around trying to learn the game and they get killed all the time because they don't know how to defend themselves.

We all saw what happened when Jason adds something that makes killing easy. People just kill and kill and kill. So no I won't stop going after griefers. Killing is only enabled because it's the only defense we have against people who just destroy and don't want to play nice.  Killing isn't something to be normalized.

If you're bored play something else or beg Jason for content like the rest of us.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#16 2020-01-21 00:45:07

Jamie

Legs wrote:

I almost always wear a medic apron in bell towns. Three pads, needle and thread and a knife to do surgery with. Sometimes I'll go my whole life and never have to heal anyone. Sometimes all the medicine gets used at once and I'm desperately making more while the murders continue.

In my experience violence comes in short but intense bursts. One person kills and it destroys the peace. Suddenly the town becomes divided. The killer is evil! No, no the person he killed is evil! The underbergs are all evil! Wait no you're wrong, the connells are evil! He stabbed my mom! Kill all connells!

It creates this feedback loop where people take sides and the supporters of each side create a chain of revenge killings. Morality gets blurry and there's no real justice to any of it. Just pointless violence. It really makes me second guess, even if I'm sure of the situation. Do I want to get involved, knowing I'll almost certainly die?

Yesterday some naked idiot in the nursery kept stabbing babies. They were such a bad baby because they moved one tile from the fire where she placed them, because it was too hot and she wasn't feeding them enough. She killed at least three babies for no real reason. I cursed her. Later on she led a posse of gullible morons to try and kill me so I had to leave town. There's really no winning sometimes.

So it's just an endless cycle. Groups of people get into squabbles and get alot of people killed, Eventually one side wins out or everybody dies/gives up. There is relative peace until inevitably another squabble happens.

I think cities lack radios, They can be used as translation machines. Otherwise I can can only get the most out of cities if I am white.

As a medic, How do you decide who to heal. People are yelling "Don't heal, They are bad" do you ignore them?

Can the medic cause a peaceful resolution or do they just run out of pads?

#17 2020-01-21 01:50:32

JackTreehorn

I was wondering if it would work better if assigned medics had a property fence area.
If someone got stabbed they go inside to get healed, medic then closes the door behind them.
Heals them then the medic runs into another gate room, Asks them to drop their weapons or questions them.
Gets some answers from people outside the fence then decides if they are allowed to leave or not.

It would be pretty tricky to pull off but would feel great if you were able to get it to work.

Eve Audette

#18 2020-01-21 04:15:37

Jamie

JackTreehorn wrote:

I was wondering if it would work better if assigned medics had a property fence area.
If someone got stabbed they go inside to get healed, medic then closes the door behind them.
Heals them then the medic runs into another gate room, Asks them to drop their weapons or questions them.
Gets some answers from people outside the fence then decides if they are allowed to leave or not.

It would be pretty tricky to pull off but would feel great if you were able to get it to work.

I think designated hospital area is a good idea. Close to sheep pen for pad production, Secured against griefers.

Though medics coming to you is still probably better. Medics probably aren't gonna want to sit in one spot for an hour especially if they aren't guaranteed to see any action.

Also you don't have too long to get healed. You might bleed out before you can reach and gain entry to a hospital.

Unless in the future we get meds to delay dying. Maybe a pad plus pain medicine to buy them some time to explain there side. Then you can decide weather to let them die or live. You could in theory coax them into a cell if it means a full heal.

#19 2020-01-21 07:55:01

Dodge

If you are so upset about murders beg Jason to add time to the murder mouth and/or make something more clear than the "GASP".

Anyway if you get killed on 1 VS 1 with the timer + posse etc you are either a first day noob or are so absorbed by your mindless crafting that you ignore everything hapening around you, really nice for a cooperative game...

#20 2020-01-21 09:42:46

Punkypal

I thought this thread was about Chicago.

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#21 2020-01-21 10:05:38

Dodge

Jamie wrote:
Dodge wrote:

If you are so upset about murders beg Jason to add time to the murder mouth and/or make something more clear than the "GASP".

Anyway if you get killed on 1 VS 1 with the timer + posse etc you are either a first day noob or are so absorbed by your mindless crafting that you ignore everything hapening around you, really nice for a cooperative game...

Why do you have to act like an ass in most of your forum replies.

I never get killed but murders still get in the way of said cooperative play. It's not mindless crafting, Big cities need rubber, Tools, Food etc. We keep towns alive, Don't say that I'm not cooperative.

Sounds like you care more about combat, That's fine but don't shove it in my face. This is my first thread, The first time I've  "complained" about the combat.

I've baked a pie and now you're bleeding out in my bakery as if you can't die elsewhere.

I was replying to slinky

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

If you're bored play something else or beg Jason for content like the rest of us.

#22 2020-01-21 10:20:12

Jamie

Dodge wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Why do you have to act like an ass in most of your forum replies.

I never get killed but murders still get in the way of said cooperative play. It's not mindless crafting, Big cities need rubber, Tools, Food etc. We keep towns alive, Don't say that I'm not cooperative.

Sounds like you care more about combat, That's fine but don't shove it in my face. This is my first thread, The first time I've  "complained" about the combat.

I've baked a pie and now you're bleeding out in my bakery as if you can't die elsewhere.

I was replying to slinky

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Oh sorry. My mistake

#23 2020-01-21 10:21:38

Jamie

Punkypal wrote:

I thought this thread was about Chicago.

Towns in this game are just like -Insert your least favorite city here-

#24 2020-01-21 10:57:16

Erudaru

Jamie wrote:
Legs wrote:

So it's just an endless cycle. Groups of people get into squabbles and get alot of people killed, Eventually one side wins out or everybody dies/gives up. There is relative peace until inevitably another squabble happens.

I think cities lack radios, They can be used as translation machines. Otherwise I can can only get the most out of cities if I am white.

As a medic, How do you decide who to heal. People are yelling "Don't heal, They are bad" do you ignore them?

Can the medic cause a peaceful resolution or do they just run out of pads?

I love this idea generally but property fences are so annoying. Would every new medic have to make a new fence? I am usually unsuccessful when handing over my job obligations to younger people. Kids won't listen or have other jobs/plans already. I don't think a chain of medics (and therefore fence owners) would be possible to achieve.

#25 2020-01-21 13:39:06

Gogo
Banned

Big town encourage to murder others, because you can hide among many people. It's fun, I prefer big towns.

Medics are annoying, the innocents should be healed, not the people who fight.

Board footer