One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-10 23:40:24

Gogo
Banned

Hard workers are assholes?

So, I want to sell my OHOL game, but I'm still playing before it happens. I noticed hard workers can be so rude. WTF. They are so frustrated. hmm If so, why they're playing? I know people interrupt them, but some of them should chill. Did you noticed that too? They're not my favourite kind of players, even if they do important work, they create tension with their behaviour.

#2 2020-01-10 23:46:56

Spoonwood

Re: Hard workers are assholes?

Gogo wrote:

I noticed hard workers can be so rude.

IT DOESN'T HELP THAT ALL TEXT IS WRITTEN LIKE THIS.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-01-11 00:01:24

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I won't lie I can be pretty short with people when I'm working hard. It's more frustration that I have to all the work myself. No one knows what they're doing. I have the stress of finishing within 60 minutes or it won't be done. People try to talk or RP with me and I just have no time for that. I try not to be rude but when I'm on the clock I just have to work.

Engines and oil is hard. Parts can be taken and lost. People come up and ask for tools when I can't bare to waste a slot on a hammer. 

I think it comes down to the pure lack of skill of the entire playerbase. I can't totally blame them. The tutorial is HORRIBLE. The tech is unfriendly. I always tell the new people they need to go on a low population server and use onetech to learn to make an engine and oil. It's just not something everyone can do. It takes a lot of time and memorization to learn.

We're not bad people. We're just under stress, don't hate us. Bring us kindling and we'll love you forever!

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2020-01-11 00:16:39

Jojigirl

You have to take into consideration that 60 minutes goes by quick when there is so much that needs to be done to ensure the town continues on. Even less time to focus on work if you are a female and have to stop to feed the continuous babies that pop out.  I have noticed there are more Role-players than there are hard workers. Towns fail easily, there is a lot of work to be done when over half the town is standing around eating, using up resources and not contributing to replace what they use up in their lifetime..

If more people contributed the workers wouldn't get so frustrated if they stop for a minute to chat..

#5 2020-01-11 00:29:35

DestinyCall

If you can tell that they are busy, you should probably leave them alone or do what you can to help lighten the workload, ideally without getting in their way or asking too many silly questions.  If you were intentionally interrupting their work, they probably had good reason for feeling annoyed.   If they were rude to you without any provocation, that is unfortunate, but I wouldn't take it that personally.  Text and time limitations make it hard to talk politely while juggling a dozen other things.  Orders are shorter than detailed explanations.   It is quite possible that they didn't mean any disrespect, even if they are curt.

Role-play is a luxury in a dying town.   I'm not against it in general, but I don't always have the time to play along and sometimes get annoyed when someone wants me to stop to chat when I have a project that I'm trying to finish before I die or become too old for hungry work.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-01-11 05:15:24)

#6 2020-01-11 00:38:51

spurofthemoment

I think it's a mindset difference when it comes to playing the game. I don't play much anymore because I started feeling like I was getting in everyone's way, and although I like RPing a lot, it's not fun if I'm interrupting people. (I also stopped playing because the internet connectivity where I live is terrible, which is a shame, but really can't be helped.) When I did play, I would usually focus on growing carrots, making pies, gathering kindling, etc. which are easy tasks I could do to help without bothering people too much.

I'm not the type of person who destresses from real life by playing a game that gives me MORE stress, so I'm not totally on the same page with people who get super stressed out while playing OHOL...to me, if it's making someone so mad, why are they playing? I guess there is catharsis in focusing on something entirely divorced from real life, even if it's stressful? Idk, I mostly try to read the room and act accordingly.

My name's Ash. And yes, I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

And no, I've never played Pokemon. It just...kinda happened that way.

#7 2020-01-11 03:52:00

JasonY

They can be but you can earn their respect if you help out. They get pissed when a town lacks basic resources.

The best you can do is work on basics so they can work on the advanced stuff, Bring them wood, clay, and iron. The person doing the engine is important but they cannot do much without the people doing everything else.

Need Content

#8 2020-01-11 05:29:13

testo

Yeah but somehow new players manage to get in the way at the worst times. Yesterday I ended up trash talking a player (It was actually my son) that just had to take the tongs as soon as I lit the forge. Not just that, but he slowly and calmly procedeed to heat the raw iron, when we needed to heat the steel that was ready to make an axe and shovel asap because we had no kindling or branches close and made us waste a full charcoal cycle. I was so angry.

This may seem trivial to you, but it was not fun and pretty infuriating since I took my time to: a)hunt the rabbit, b)cook the rabbit c)make the pouch/bellows d)collect the flat stones d)collect iron, make steel e)make the hammer f)do a shitload of related stuff like farm carrots/cook pottery/make charcoal/build an oven/cook rabbit pies/collect branches and raise the kid, all while 4/6 other people either did nothing or farmed tomatoes on one soil piles so at the end we didnt even had skewers for the damn tomatoes.

It all comes down to a timing, trying to waste the less possible resources and be fast at the start: If someone else is working in the forge don´t take the hammer, don´t take the tongs, and don´t get in the way. Just don´t. It´s really not that hard to understand.

And by the way I believe most hard workers are just focused on the task at hand, people get pissed when interrupted for obnoxious reasons. Pretty self explanatory.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#9 2020-01-11 09:11:14

StrongForce

Finishing your hard work in time is rewarding. Knowing you saved the town from doom is great. And if roleplay ers rather roleplay and let the town die I may be a little rude if you interrupt me. But short sentences sound rude easyly too. Most of the time a "MOVE" isnt meant to be rude. But if you stand in the way on Newcomen or forge there is no time to say "could you move please"

Baby dance!!

#10 2020-01-11 13:06:04

Mekkie

I was playing on 2hol the other week, and I was actually born to a noob eve who had started a little town.. i thought it would be fun to help her out, so i set up a blacksmithing area.  Meanwhile one of my siblings , despite us not having a well and little more than a berry patch for substance, decided to start building walls.  I figured.. whatever, let him do what he wants, its not interfering with me.  Until the second i got the forges all set up and ready to make ingots... he raced over, filled my crucible bowls with limestone and decided to hijack the blacksmith to plaster his already unnecessary walls. 

Hard workers may be rude sometimes, but generally its because the chode that wasted time and materials getting in the way deserved it.

Last edited by Mekkie (2020-01-11 13:06:32)

#11 2020-01-12 19:16:50

pein

there were some instances when I was the only one who had enough information about the coords and map to do the job

literally had the steel scraped from 6 cities and the belt from another, walking 300 tiles with it

so when an idiot baby got offended by taking away her decoration sword and she got other and tried to stab me with it, i killed her
its seriously annoying that people dont care about survival but got expectations for items

Does someone get offended for you stealing the stuff they made?
ofc they do

the other day slinky made the oil but couldn't get much cause the rubber wasn't there, i went in and finished it
oil and engine takes a full life ad helps hundreds of people survive for the next few hours so yeah, dont take the shit other make without asking and try to help out rather than bitching. probabl has a reason why they rude

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer