One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-09 20:54:52

The_Anabaptist

Suggestion: Breakage / Spoilage of Primitive & Raw Food Items

I've been thinking about Hungry Work lately.  I really have come to appreciate how it makes gameplay more deliberate.  I think we need more of these types of elements to add value to our work and reasons to climb the tech ladder.

Now that we have multiple box types, carts, and tables to put stuff on and movable items like baskets and backpacks, I think it would be appropriate to introduce some type of penalty for not prioritizing their usage over just setting stuff on the ground.  I think objects like clay bowls and plates should have a small percentage chance of breaking every time they are set down on the ground empty.  An "oops" tax if you will.  Some raw foods could also have this applied to them as a spoilage tax when placed on the ground.

It would fit the ethos of infinite anything = bad.

The_Anabaptist

#2 2020-01-09 22:47:46

Villas

Re: Suggestion: Breakage / Spoilage of Primitive & Raw Food Items

I love the idea because I'm very used to play this game, and I really like those challenges, like when the Temperature Update was implemented and people swore even Jason's grandmother. It would encourage the construction of buildings and whatnot. We could have a big storage to store large amounts of meat, like put fifty meat pieces in a container with salt to preserve it and use rotten food for composting (When I was at university we used to throw rotten/rest of food in a big container and then put dry leafs above it, after some time, I don't know how much, it turned into compost and people used it to farm some organic products).

Although I think other people would hate it because the game would be harder, families never being eternal, noobs can't handle it, griefers exploiting and blablabla.

#3 2020-01-10 01:40:53

pein

we could have energy meter and jobs to cost energy.
And some foods replenish more energy but fewer calories.

Could even replace the tool system. You would be slowed down and you couldn't do all the work alone, without massive energy food production or help.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2020-01-10 01:58:04

The_Anabaptist

pein wrote:

we could have energy meter and jobs to cost energy.
And some foods replenish more energy but fewer calories.

Could even replace the tool system. You would be slowed down and you couldn't do all the work alone, without massive energy food production or help.

I could certainly get behind this idea.  I'm going to guess it is a bigger coding project than what I was envisioning however.

The_Anabaptist

#5 2020-01-10 20:43:20

StrongForce

Wear and repair would be an awesome update. Anything has a smal chance to break if used incorrectly.

Baby dance!!

#6 2020-01-10 21:41:18

DestinyCall

More decay is good as long as it is properly balanced to reward technology advancement and quality of life improvements.    Storage and refridgeration/cooling tech to combat food decay, for example.   More advanced clothing lasting longer than uncured animal hides.   Major construction or destruction requiring hungry work.   

There are many interesting ways to use these mechanics to encourage the development of unique jobs in the village.

Board footer