One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-07 08:18:07

Starblazer

My current issues with One hour One Life

Currently, I am beginning to get fatigued by this game. I still have never made any Newcomen devices and dont see a way to unless I come back in multiple lives. The game has gone to a point where I immediately leave and look for new cities because I know that the towns that I spawn in will go nowhere if there is only one race. Personally, I do not have an issue with the race restrictions and language barriers. I believe it does its job well and effectively. I instead believe that the distance between the towns is too large, making it extremely difficult to find new towns with different races. If it is easier for us to find each other, then the race restrictions will not be an issue because we can work together. Today, I finally got lucky enough to have a ginger village and a tan village only 800 meters away from each other. As a tan person, I immediately went to the ginger village and had offspring there to try and merge the 2 families. I also got 2 maps and gave each village the other's location. In theory, they should always have access to each other and may eventually combine. The next problem, however, stems from the first. Even if I do find another village and do as much as I can to merge them, I can only stay alive for an hour. All of my work could be undone by just one griefer. The problem isn't the amount of time you can stay alive, it is that even if you are fortunate enough to find another race, in the end, it will all come down to your offspring being competent and staying alive. If the villages were always closer, this wouldn't be a problem as the different races would easily find each other and either trade with them, or move in with them. If the race dies in the other village, they can always come back. There is also another problem with how many people /die. The tan race that I inputted into the ginger village died off. Do you know why? It was because all of my great grandchildren died to immediate infant death. All of my work now being held to 2 maps all because of, not a game feature or mistake made by players, but because of other players wanting to be a certain race at a certain village. Sometimes I would get 5 babies all within 10 minutes, each and every one killing themselves. Eventually it would stop and my little village dies because the people did not want to play the game how it was supposed to be played. The worst part is... I became one of those people when I wanted to combine the 2 towns. When I found the town, I was too old to do anything so I /died until I came to one of the villages. Something needs to be done about /die. I dont know what, but a lot of villages die off because they dont get any lasting offspring. In all, I really enjoyed the game. It reminds me of dont starve but I like it much better because I will never get bored. Every hour I get put in a new situation with new problems and new people. As stated above, I believe that the difficulty in finding another race ruins it.

#2 2020-01-07 08:26:18

Mekkie

Re: My current issues with One hour One Life

It all comes down to racial specialization being a bad call.  We can only hope that Jason removes it, but for now if you don't want to play a private server, you could set your login to one of the official low population servers since the restrictions for tools and races don't activate until a server reaches 15 players.   

Strange though that all your brown babies would /die though.  I find it better to /die until I become a brown person just because that's the only way your well can last an entire lifetime.

#3 2020-01-07 08:27:41

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I recommend playing on a low population server. It's the only real way to learn the end game tech, and race restrictions + tool slots don't apply there.

It's fun to make your own town too!

You can choose a custom server in the "settings" from the menu. Check the box that says "Use Custom Server" and then in the address box type in the address for the server. Usually something like " server#.onehouronelife.com " with the # being the number of the server you want to join. Make sure the port number is "8005". Then you just back out, and click log in and you'll be born as an Eve on your server of choice! Now, this is where it gets more complicated. To RETURN to where you die in the custom server you have to live to 60, and place a home marker.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2020-01-07 10:10:23

Gogo
Banned

There's something wrong now with the distance, 20k from bell is too much. Bell tower is the most important thing, people will come to town by itself, without it towns are doomed.

#5 2020-01-07 10:33:14

JonySky
Website

long ago / die was used to teleport to other cities immediately
Then it began to be used to appear as EVE
And now it is used to change race ...

/ die is broken for a long time and I have always believed that it ruins the experience of other players and their lineages

This is a survival game ... we shouldn't be able to select either the race or the city where we live.

/ die is exactly the same as a family selection button where you want to be born

And you know how much fun ... you can't counter anything ...
If you are of a certain race, or live in a city of difficult survival, or just your baby wants to be EVE ... you will get a lot of suicidal babies ....

So are the players in this game ... "survivors" hahahahaha

/ die should be limited to 1 or 2 lives every 40 minutes

Last edited by JonySky (2020-01-07 10:53:21)

#6 2020-01-07 10:47:14

sigmen4020

JonySky wrote:

/ die should be limited to 1 or 2 lives every 40 minutes

Problem is that by limiting /die you will just increase the amount of runners, who're way more damaging than /die babies.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#7 2020-01-07 11:09:08

Spoonwood

I wholeheartedly agree with Slinky about making your own town being a lot of fun.  There exist reasons that some people have who resist that move, but I'm starting to think that such issues wouldn't bother you Starblazer.  If Slinky's instructions on how to play low pop aren't clear for some reason that I can't think of, check #7 comment that I made in the other thread in case it's clearer.  If you come onto the discord, low pop players would probably invite you to their towns also or suggest other groups you might play with.

Starblazer wrote:

All of my work now being held to 2 maps all because of, not a game feature or mistake made by players, but because of other players wanting to be a certain race at a certain village.

Not sure this would be a (serious) problem if a choice screen existed for something like current generation of the town, or the race of a player's character, even if limited to advanced players.

Starblazer wrote:

Eventually it would stop and my little village dies because the people did not want to play the game how it was supposed to be played.

Alright, but blaming the playerbase writ large is useless (and your next comment suggests that you weren't doing that Starblazer).  They won't change and they get to choose how they play in the end.  Using /die is not griefing, at least it's not likely to get used to intentionally destroy lineages or make civilization building more difficult most of the time when it gets used.  Sigmen's point above should get noted, because runner babies come as more destructive to lineage survival than SIDs (Sudden Infant Deaths).  There's a mechanic called 'womb cooldown' which runner babies exploit.   

It's not reasonable to expect people to play a game where they get forced into limitations that they don't want to play with.  It's also not reasonable to expect people to play a game where their probability of success is already low to their perception.  And enough people use /die, I think, because they believe that their probability of success low if they don't use /die.  It's also not reasonable to expect people to play a game with unnecessary hassle.  And expected unnecessary hassle comes as another reason, probably, why people use /die.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2020-01-07 11:28:18

Spoonwood

JonySky wrote:

This is a survival game ... we shouldn't be able to select either the race or the city where we live.

I find that strange to say.  I'll note that OHOL is a *game* intended for the people who play it as a form of recreation.  In both Rimworld and Oxygen Not Included, both of which are survival games, there exist many different types of worlds one can select before playing.  I haven't played it, but The Long Dark also has ways to select things more significant than the server number as I understand it.

JonySky wrote:

/ die is exactly the same as a family selection button where you want to be born

Well, then it sure does sound like a choice screen would have done more to resolve the previous /die issues than life tokens.  And a choice screen would probably resolve many of the /die issues now.  And what, should those wanting to choose their life starting conditions to *some* extent, just not play at all, because it's not in the spirit of the game, or turn into griefers if they get slighted by the removal of meaningful choice in the game?

Anyways, it's great that some people like you JonySky once played without using /die all that much if at all.  There's a whole lot that can get learned or enjoyed by trying to deal with difficult and unwanted conditions, especially when things don't turn out as bad as you initially thought they would be.  But, I think it's just too much to expect the majority of the playerbase to want to play that way.  And not enough choice I think drives people away from games.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-01-07 11:36:18

JonySky
Website

Spoonwood wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with Slinky about making your own town being a lot of fun.  There exist reasons that some people have who resist that move, but I'm starting to think that such issues wouldn't bother you Starblazer.  If Slinky's instructions on how to play low pop aren't clear for some reason that I can't think of, check #7 comment that I made in the other thread in case it's clearer.  If you come onto the discord, low pop players would probably invite you to their towns also or suggest other groups you might play with.

Starblazer wrote:

All of my work now being held to 2 maps all because of, not a game feature or mistake made by players, but because of other players wanting to be a certain race at a certain village.

Not sure this would be a (serious) problem if a choice screen existed for something like current generation of the town, or the race of a player's character, even if limited to advanced players.

Starblazer wrote:

Eventually it would stop and my little village dies because the people did not want to play the game how it was supposed to be played.

Alright, but blaming the playerbase writ large is useless (and your next comment suggests that you weren't doing that Starblazer).  They won't change and they get to choose how they play in the end.  Using /die is not griefing, at least it's not likely to get used to intentionally destroy lineages or make civilization building more difficult most of the time when it gets used.  Sigmen's point above should get noted, because runner babies come as more destructive to lineage survival than SIDs (Sudden Infant Deaths).  There's a mechanic called 'womb cooldown' which runner babies exploit.   

It's not reasonable to expect people to play a game where they get forced into limitations that they don't want to play with.  It's also not reasonable to expect people to play a game where their probability of success is already low to their perception.  And enough people use /die, I think, because they believe that their probability of success low if they don't use /die.  It's also not reasonable to expect people to play a game with unnecessary hassle.  And expected unnecessary hassle comes as another reason, probably, why people use /die.

Applying this logic (illogical in a survival game) should we create 3 buttons before respawn?
- 1 button: born as EVE
- 2 button: born with the XX race
- 3 button: born in a city with high chances of survival

If this were implemented ... get ready to have the most boring game ever!

This is what is being achieved by using extremely / die
These players are just looking for an easy survival game and I think this is incompatible.

Last edited by JonySky (2020-01-07 11:38:03)

#10 2020-01-07 12:04:57

Spoonwood

JonySky wrote:

Applying this logic (illogical in a survival game) should we create 3 buttons before respawn?

I think there need to exist conditions on such buttons since it's a multiplayer game.  An Eve button without something like players needing to live to 60, or maybe have a high genetic score comes as a better condition, sounds all too dangerous to getting exploited by griefer Eves. 

JonySky wrote:

Jony, I basically have as close to having such buttons in low pop servers.  Especially on the one I usually play on.  It's probably less than a minute, and like one /die or two to make some other choice to force playing as Eve (or at least has been... I had an experience that suggested a bug with womb cooldown or something).  Or I could walk or ride to someone else's town and set up those sorts of conditions.  Or I could insist that I only go to deserts were I black in a life or something like that.  The lowpop game doesn't have deficits in potential interest because of lack of choice. 

Such a choice screen would also come as a matter of choice to even select in the first place.  I don't advocate removing the basic 'login' button where players get thrown into random situations, with them almost always being the child of someone else.  I don't see how some players choosing such would ruin the experience of players who never use /die.

JonySky wrote:

These players are just looking for an easy survival game and I think this is incompatible.

No family has lasted longer than the Boots.  I don't foresee any family lasting longer than the Boots were the buttons you described got put into the game.  And I think the Boots family didn't last a week, let alone a month, or a few months.  There exist many conditions which make this game into not being an easy survival game.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-01-07 12:06:56)

Danish Clinch.

#11 2020-01-07 12:19:08

pein

distance is fine, I mean you are close if you spawn together, same time, towns are generally 200-300 tile away which is exactly the well limitation

you cannot keep up ever new camp for 5-6 hours so you eventually meet

I think that travel should be rewamped, so you can go to others and go home using tech and spending resources/tokens/currency on travel rather than time and luck

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2020-01-07 12:24:36

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

I think that travel should be rewamped, so you can go to others and go home using tech and spending resources/tokens/currency on travel rather than time and luck

I lack the imagination to envision how that would work.  Can you clue me in?

Do you mean something like all families having access to horses?

How would they trade tokens/currency for travel?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-01-07 12:25:30)

Danish Clinch.

#13 2020-01-07 13:01:49

JonySky
Website

Spoonwood wrote:
JonySky wrote:

I think there need to exist conditions on such buttons since it's a multiplayer game.  An Eve button without something like players needing to live to 60, or maybe have a high genetic score comes as a better condition, sounds all too dangerous to getting exploited by griefer Eves. 

JonySky wrote:

Jony, I basically have as close to having such buttons in low pop servers.  Especially on the one I usually play on.  It's probably less than a minute, and like one /die or two to make some other choice to force playing as Eve (or at least has been... I had an experience that suggested a bug with womb cooldown or something).  Or I could walk or ride to someone else's town and set up those sorts of conditions.  Or I could insist that I only go to deserts were I black in a life or something like that.  The lowpop game doesn't have deficits in potential interest because of lack of choice. 

Such a choice screen would also come as a matter of choice to even select in the first place.  I don't advocate removing the basic 'login' button where players get thrown into random situations, with them almost always being the child of someone else.  I don't see how some players choosing such would ruin the experience of players who never use /die.

JonySky wrote:

No family has lasted longer than the Boots.  I don't foresee any family lasting longer than the Boots were the buttons you described got put into the game.  And I think the Boots family didn't last a week, let alone a month, or a few months.  There exist many conditions which make this game into not being an easy survival game.

I agree that a selection button before spawn can partially solve this problem ... but it should never be as effective as it is / die

/ die is negative for the rest of the players (I know it doesn't affect the mothers, but if all their children do / die ... goodbye with their lineage)

/ die cannot be counteracted in any way

Spoonwood: the option you have adopted is the correct one (use a low population server)

Nor do I expect the indefinite survival of cities, I have not really thought about it when I talk about this problem ... I only think about the helplessness of many players when they check their genealogical tree and see 15 baby suicides

#14 2020-01-07 15:41:27

JonySky
Website

Idea: what if when a player executes the / die command more than 2 times in a row, does the system automatically place it on a low-population server?

#15 2020-01-07 15:49:10

Erudaru

/ die is a solution to babies running away and starving on purpose.
The 24 lives limit is a solution to players / dying too much.

#16 2020-01-07 16:06:58

Spoonwood

What would happen if the system automatically placed players using /die more than once on a low population server?

I don't know.  But, that doesn't seem to fit with the ideas behind the bigserver system as I understand it.  Tarr really liked that change:

Tarr wrote:

Just in your testing alone I was able to find a second living village within range of the camp I was born into. Having everyone together means that we can finally have lasting towns, strangers meeting in the wild, and both types of play can be supported (early game + late game.) I'm not sure how often I'll run into another alive camp but before the update I could pretty reliably find Eve bones from my spawn points which became a game of find the suicider.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5110

Players ending up on a low pop server without them knowing about such dooms lineage possibilities at present... but given incoming babies that had suicided away from bs2 more than once in a row, it probably wouldn't end up as bad as what happens when players end up on s1 without them knowing about it, especially when it's not an update period (it happened a few days ago apparently... I made a thread about it).

I think the pre-bigserver system would do something like that where if a player suicided a few times they would usually end up on s2, though it was a bit more regular.  San-Cal was on s2 as I understand, and was a long-lasting large town.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-01-07 16:07:12)

Danish Clinch.

#17 2020-01-07 16:28:29

fug

Spoonwood wrote:

What would happen if the system automatically placed players using /die more than once on a low population server?

I don't know.  But, that doesn't seem to fit with the ideas behind the bigserver system as I understand it.  Tarr really liked that change:

Tarr wrote:

Just in your testing alone I was able to find a second living village within range of the camp I was born into. Having everyone together means that we can finally have lasting towns, strangers meeting in the wild, and both types of play can be supported (early game + late game.) I'm not sure how often I'll run into another alive camp but before the update I could pretty reliably find Eve bones from my spawn points which became a game of find the suicider.

Players ending up on a low pop server without them knowing about such dooms lineage possibilities at present... but given incoming babies that had suicided away from bs2 more than once in a row, it probably wouldn't end up as bad as what happens when players end up on s1 without them knowing about it, especially when it's not an update period (it happened a few days ago apparently... I made a thread about it).

I think the pre-bigserver system would do something like that where if a player suicided a few times they would usually end up on s2, though it was a bit more regular.  San-Cal was on s2 as I understand, and was a long-lasting large town.

\

Don't randomly quote me. Thanks.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#18 2020-01-07 16:33:27

JonySky
Website

I confess that I have not thought too much when I have exposed this idea

Currently the player who runs / die several times in less than 1 hour is because he is looking for very specific conditions of birth

On the main server, if we let this happen, we will get the massive / die we are currently having

but in a low population server this is different ...
In a low population server, you can create a city race selection button or EVE selection ... because it does not affect families and lineages too much

#19 2020-01-07 18:22:05

Spoonwood

fug wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Tarr wrote:

\

Don't randomly quote me. Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.  Did I quote you such that it seems that I misinterpreted what you said?  Or are you warning me not to mess up quoting you in the future?  Or do you no longer have that position that you did there?

Danish Clinch.

#20 2020-01-08 10:30:48

sigmen4020

JonySky wrote:

Idea: what if when a player executes the / die command more than 2 times in a row, does the system automatically place it on a low-population server?

As someone who had been tossed into a dying server1 during updates, this would be an extremely frustrating change for those hit by it. If something like this was implemented at least inform the player beforehand, so they can better choose how to use their time. The times I've been randomly tossed into server1, I've felt like a fool, when I realized that I've been thrown into a situation I did not consent to. I expected to get kids but got none. This comes from someone who rarily uses the /die command.

Also as I believe I've mentioned before, punishing /die users will only result in more runner babies, which are magnitudes worse.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-01-08 10:32:43)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

Board footer