One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-05 18:48:39

voy178

Can we get an auto-lock on old threads on the forums?

Threads that haven't received any activity for over six months are unlikely to be relevant to the game today.

It creates confusion when old threads are necroed. If someone wants to touch on something mentioned in the threads they ought to create a new thread and link the old post.

Therefore, I suggest an automatic lock on threads that have been inactive for six months or longer.

#2 2020-01-05 19:30:13

Spoonwood

Re: Can we get an auto-lock on old threads on the forums?

voy178 wrote:

Threads that haven't received any activity for over six months are unlikely to be relevant to the game today.

And on what basis do you say that?  Have you been rereading old threads and finding them irrelevant to today's game?  Because I've been rereading threads and have found plenty still relevant to today's game:

Property fence gates were once more difficult to make, making the concerns that this raises even more relevant: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6022

There's a comment here about how to do an oil rig: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 764#p65764

Did you know that you can make an axe in one fire?  Heck you can make many steel tools in one fire potentially: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4695

Here's a thread on making an engine: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4802

There's also old threads on making radios.

Also, how should the game work?  The game has gone through some changes.  There's plenty that can more easily get thought about with older threads still having the ability to get discussed.

And people can check dates.  I don't see how it's that difficult.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-01-05 19:44:37

Melea

voy178 wrote:

It creates confusion when old threads are necroed. If someone wants to touch on something mentioned in the threads they ought to create a new thread and link the old post.

Therefore, I suggest an automatic lock on threads that have been inactive for six months or longer.

Agreed. Locking threads doesn't prevent anyone from reading and learning from them, and new discussions can always link to relevant old threads or specific posts. It'd just help cut down on clogging up the front page with old dredged up material.

#4 2020-01-05 20:15:57

voy178

Spoonwood wrote:
voy178 wrote:

And on what basis do you say that?  Have you been rereading old threads and finding them irrelevant to today's game?  Because I've been rereading threads and have found plenty still relevant to today's game:

Property fence gates were once more difficult to make, making the concerns that this raises even more relevant: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6022

There's a comment here about how to do an oil rig: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 764#p65764

Did you know that you can make an axe in one fire?  Heck you can make many steel tools in one fire potentially: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4695

Here's a thread on making an engine: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4802

There's also old threads on making radios.

Also, how should the game work?  The game has gone through some changes.  There's plenty that can more easily get thought about with older threads still having the ability to get discussed.

And people can check dates.  I don't see how it's that difficult.

- If people want to look on those threads, they can look them up in the archive.

- If you feel like the player base that actually go into the forums will massively miss out on things in their lives if these threads are overlooked you may absolutely put them in your signature. BUT the one place we don't need them to be is on the first page where new content and current topics are to be discussed.

- If you feel like something needs to be said (but looking at what you write when you necro it usually isn't) you can absolutely create a new thread and link the post.

Telling people to look at the date on every post they read is both unrealistic and a pretty ineffective suggestion. People will not and then people will be spreading old news when they come across the posts that you necro.

#5 2020-01-05 20:25:48

Punkypal

So Spoonwood, you just demonstrated you do have the ability to link to dead threads, rather than necroing those threads. How hard is it to just do that, as EVERYONE is asking you to do?

The other thread you necro'ed today was absolutely not relevant to what you've been harping on about. It was about the was Eve's respawn if they reach age 60, which has been changed long long ago. Don't even try to claim that old threads have a valid reason to be necro'ed when you are dragging up things that absolutely don't. You're full of shit.

People can check start new threads. I don't see how it's that difficult.

If I was a moderator, you'd be warned that the next time you resurrect a thread with no merit to be resurrected, you'd be getting a time out. I'm nice. I think most people here are ready to outright ban you.

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#6 2020-01-05 21:39:07

StrongForce

+1 to auto lock

Baby dance!!

#7 2020-01-05 23:47:25

Spoonwood

voy178 wrote:

Telling people to look at the date on every post they read is both unrealistic and a pretty ineffective suggestion. People will not and then people will be spreading old news when they come across the posts that you necro.

Haven't seen that happen once even with old threads necroed.

voy178 wrote:

If people want to look on those threads, they can look them up in the archive.

It saves Jason time if I reply to his thread directly instead of linking him to his old thread.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-01-05 23:52:18

Spoonwood

PunkyPal wrote:

So Spoonwood, you just demonstrated you do have the ability to link to dead threads, rather than necroing those threads. How hard is it to just do that, as EVERYONE is asking you to do?

No, not everyone has asked me to do so.  Toxolotl and Testo are two people, off the top of my head, who have responded positively to me necroing old threads.

PunkyPal wrote:

The other thread you necro'ed today was absolutely not relevant to what you've been harping on about.

It's relevant, because the change decrease the number of potential stories in the large population context.  Also, because extremely long lineages is something that Jason has stated that he has desired on multiple occassions.

PunkyPal wrote:

If I was a moderator, you'd be warned that the next time you resurrect a thread with no merit to be resurrected, you'd be getting a time out. I'm nice. I think most people here are ready to outright ban you.

No, you're not nice.  Your 'time out' would just consist of an attempt at censorship and trying to shut off discussion of certain ideas and issues.  On top of that, Jason in the most recent thread ASKED for responses.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-01-06 00:07:08

Villas

Punkypal you’re talking about yourself, right?
You necroed a post from 2018 some days ago, just to say:

Punkypal wrote:

BOOM! New Year's Eve necro (I couldn't resist). But seriously, plenty of things have been added in the last year. Any items that are worse than these already listed?
Some would say this item is almost useless: https://bit.ly/2QcIrOr
LOL

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3492

I even spent five minutes of my life reading the comments and almost answered a guy who said that marked graves can’t be removed and then I realized it was a necro post from more than a year ago. I reported you, but nothing happened actually. I think we need more people reporting or more active modes. I admit I felt a little bit frustrated after realizing I wasted my time because of a “TROLL LOL”, I remember when Whatever got banned for necroing posts some months ago, they should do that to anyone who necros just to troll people and don’t add anything relevant that worthed more necroing than creating a new topic linking to an old one.

Edit: I also think that some of Spoonwood necro posts are okay ( I didn’t read all of them), at least the ones I read weren’t trolls, he really added something interesting. Although linking old posts in a new one seems more reasonable.

Last edited by Villas (2020-01-06 00:10:22)

#10 2020-01-06 00:12:48

Spoonwood

Villas wrote:

I even spent five minutes of my life reading the comments and almost answered a guy who said that marked graves can’t be removed and then I realized it was a necro post from more than a year ago. I reported you, but nothing happened actually. I think we need more people reporting or more active modes. I admit I felt a little bit frustrated after realizing I wasted my time because of a “TROLL LOL”, I remember when Whatever got banned for necroing posts some months ago, they should do that to anyone who necros just to troll people and don’t add anything relevant that worthed more necroing than creating a new topic linking to an old one.

I have not necroed a thread just to troll people, nor to troll people.  I will also say that even though that was Punkypal's intention, and as I recall, at the time, I believed that necroing the post that he did rather pointless, some of the resulting discussion I found interesting.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2020-01-06 00:27:00

Kinrany

Being able to find at least something good about the thing is not a good argument. It's like defending your actions by arguing that what you're doing is not literally illegal.

#12 2020-01-06 01:14:17

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I'm excited for the day he necros the very first thread. It's going to be a good read.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#13 2020-01-06 01:51:08

karltown_veteran

Not this again. If you get spoonwood started he'll never shut up.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#14 2020-01-06 01:57:18

Spoonwood

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I'm excited for the day he necros the very first thread. It's going to be a good read.

What the 'Evertyhing Runs Out' post?  The ideas there make towns fragile to griefing.  Didn't all of the junipers in The Rift and the milkweed running out, and other things running out, demonstrate that?  Do you really think that Jason believes he can grow the playerbase of his game if he makes things fragile to griefers to that degree again?  The Rift made it so that players couldn't expand into greener pastures.  But, Jason got rid of The Rift and had eternal survival as an expected possibility after changing that (it's not a possibility due to bad luck and/or lineage death by updates at present).  Eternal survival of a lineage or even a very, very long lineage isn't compatible with 'everything runs out'.  Jason apparently wasn't decided about whether or not he meant 'evertyhing runs out' at the time, but do you really think that he thinks such a possibility now?  How could he think such a possibility after going back to the large map and emphasizing eternal survival as a possibility?

Also, wouldn't 'everything runs out' lead to an awful lot of samey-ness in terms of lives?  Oh look.. our water supply ran out... AGAIN!  There's no soil and no compost... for the millionth time.  'Everything runs out' would only fit with a shrunken story space.  Similar, but not necessarily identical, as to what happened during The Rift.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-01-06 02:02:13)

Danish Clinch.

#15 2020-01-06 02:21:30

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Holy shit you know what the very first thread is by heart? Do you just spend all day reading the forums?

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#16 2020-01-06 02:23:36

Spoonwood

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Holy shit you know what the very first thread is by heart? Do you just spend all day reading the forums?

I don't know.  I just saw that Jason made the post in 2017 and others have referenced it in the past.  I reread it after your comment.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2020-01-06 04:31:42

testo

voy178 wrote:

Likehood can be seen as percieved likehood or mathematical likehood. For you to call it mathematically unlikely we would need an statistical analysis and well defined variables like relevancy and activity which is not the case. If you are talking about percieved likehood (or unlikehood), then we have a totally subjective matter. For example I find it very likely for a thread over a year ago to be relevant because several unanswered problems are recurrent and are still present today. So, I would say your assertion is subjective at best.

voy178 wrote:

It may confuse you, but not everyone. Necroing a thread instead of starting a new topic is totally fine imo.

voy178 wrote:

Yeah but why six months? Why not a week? Why not one month?
I see you are just trying to make yourself an easy path to post with minimum effort. Since the game is suposedly being updated once a week I could easily argue all the same you do, that is: everything one week old is irrelevant because there was an update, ergo, we should lock all threads once a week. Does that make any sense to you? Not at all.

I get it, many of you get confused because a topic pops and you expect it to be brand new. Just look at the date and carry on, it is really not *that* hard to read something completely before you post your own opinion.

Last edited by testo (2020-01-06 04:35:00)

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#18 2020-01-06 05:40:23

Dantox

voy178 wrote:

i personally dont disagree with you however i feel that statement isnt 100% accurate since the vision of jason has stayed pretty much the same, so topics about some mechanics and goals still hold relevant to this day, however i can relate that some people isnt on the mood to just read 5 pages worth of information that might/might not be longer relevant.

For me it isnt a problem, i just check the date and if it is worth or not my time.

make bread, no war

#19 2020-01-06 05:51:10

FulmenTheFinn

Having an auto-lock system is probably not even possible with the ~20 year old framework this forum runs on, considering it lacks even basic 2000s forum functionality like buttons for BBCode commands, or multi-quoting. I reckon it'd need to be updated first, which is an undertaking in of itself, and one Jason probably won't do.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#20 2020-01-06 09:28:15

voy178

testo wrote:
voy178 wrote:

Likehood can be seen as percieved likehood or mathematical likehood. For you to call it mathematically unlikely we would need an statistical analysis and well defined variables like relevancy and activity which is not the case. If you are talking about percieved likehood (or unlikehood), then we have a totally subjective matter. For example I find it very likely for a thread over a year ago to be relevant because several unanswered problems are recurrent and are still present today. So, I would say your assertion is subjective at best.

voy178 wrote:

It may confuse you, but not everyone. Necroing a thread instead of starting a new topic is totally fine imo.

voy178 wrote:

Yeah but why six months? Why not a week? Why not one month?
I see you are just trying to make yourself an easy path to post with minimum effort. Since the game is suposedly being updated once a week I could easily argue all the same you do, that is: everything one week old is irrelevant because there was an update, ergo, we should lock all threads once a week. Does that make any sense to you? Not at all.

I get it, many of you get confused because a topic pops and you expect it to be brand new. Just look at the date and carry on, it is really not *that* hard to read something completely before you post your own opinion.

I'm trying to propose a cleaner forum experience. Seeing how you're not interested in contributing ideas for the issue of necroing threads that clearly have NOTHING to do with the current gaming mechanics I don't see why you would even respond to this thread.

Six months is an arbitrary time limit that gives plenty of time to pass before a thread that hasn't received any posts in a long time has lost relevance. We are clearly done with the topic, if we weren't it would have received some activity anywhere in those six months.

If linking threads is too exhausting for you then you could always not link them and just create a thread of the issue you'd like to discuss. There are like 10 milkweed threads going around anyways so I don't see how that would make any difference.

#21 2020-01-06 09:40:03

Spoonwood

voy178 wrote:

We are clearly done with the topic, if we weren't it would have received some activity anywhere in those six months.

It never got evaluated what effects such a change *actually* had on the game.  There exist many other threads like this where the changes proposed or implemented never got evaluated with respect to their in-game effects after they got implemented.  And even with an evaluation, that doesn't mean such an evaluation got done exhaustively.  So, I simply don't think it reasonable to say that this makes for a done topic.

On top of that, Eve-chaining still exists in the low population context, and I've had the new player pop-up a few times for my children (and someone else said that he had such in another low-pop server).  This post does clarify why Jason got rid of Eve-chaining in the large population context.

Furthermore, the topic could get used as a source of thinking about ideas with respect to how the game should or could work.

Lastly, all of the old versions of the game come as available on Jason's Github last I knew.  And anyone, in principle, can set up their own server and invite others to play there.

Danish Clinch.

#22 2020-01-06 09:56:44

Mekkie

I agree with the auto lock.  This place needs it badly.

#23 2020-01-06 11:12:44

testo

voy178 wrote:

I'm trying to propose a cleaner forum experience. Seeing how you're not interested in contributing ideas for the issue of necroing threads that clearly have NOTHING to do with the current gaming mechanics I don't see why you would even respond to this thread.

So basically "I know what is clean forum is and if you don´t agree with me don´t post here".
Why is it so hard to understand: Perception of a clean forum is subjectve. I believe some necro threads can be important to the current game. You can agree or disagree in any of those two sentences.

voy178 wrote:

Six months is an arbitrary time limit that gives plenty of time to pass before a thread that hasn't received any posts in a long time has lost relevance. We are clearly done with the topic, if we weren't it would have received some activity anywhere in those six months.

Yes, six months is an arbitrary time. Who sets that up? because for you to say that some of the latest necros lost relevance means you haven´t read them at all. And lastly, would you really be ok if I resurrected every thread exactly 5 months and 29 days old?  So, would that mean a cleaner forum? Think about it for a second, everyday I start bringing up all 5 month 29 threads because I can still get a valid timeframe and nobody could say "hey you are bringing a topic we are done for because nobody posted in 5 months 29 days". Again that would be nonsense but ok with your proposal. 

voy178 wrote:

If linking threads is too exhausting for you then you could always not link them and just create a thread of the issue you'd like to discuss. There are like 10 milkweed threads going around anyways so I don't see how that would make any difference.

I almost never create threads. I believe to have made less than ten at all here, I´m the type of guy that just jumps in most of the time.
Your last sentences leaves me perplexed though. There 10 milkweed threads yet you rather have 11 for a cleaner forum?. We are clearly watching a different beast here.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#24 2020-01-06 12:57:56

karltown_veteran

Please Jason, autolock threads where Spoonwood and multiple other people have long arguments. The necro discussion is over. Let it be over.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#25 2020-01-06 13:55:41

Amon

Necro-ing topics that are no longer relevant to the current state of the game on issues that have long been resolved, is annoying. But Auto-lock is bad.

Here goes for humour, art, screenshots and stories, mods, mod-making etc. that would suffer with this since these remain relevant regardless of date.
Don't axe everything because of a bad apple.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

Board footer