One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-02 21:40:17

Alf

How to be an effective, good murderer and wipe out entire villages

Hello guys, gathered in game experience I am posting this thread so all the killers-to-come would have useful tips and tricks.

There are two rules, generally:

1. Only kill on empty tiles. You are a murderer, not a griefer, we do not want that clothes wasted.

2. After you murdered the whole settlement, make sure to pluck out carrots so the soil is not wasted.

Now we can go to some basics:

First of all, as supposedly you will be a baby, your early game focus is to gather as many clothes as you can, so then you could roam in search of weapons, or hide, or just don't starve out during killing cooldown.

Now killing has become extremely diffucult, meaning: much more satysfying. With the cooldown you cannot just simply run into the village center and kill someone, you will be dead then most likely. That means, you have to either try to kill people far from the center, on distant farms or so, and then gradually move towards the middle.

Most important elements of strategy:
Trees are your friends. Practice a bit, and you will learn how to hide behind many trees. Especially maple tree is my favourite, if you click a little below the green part, you can hide behind it completely, you can murder somebody with a bow from there without anybody noticing where did you shoot from. It's rare somebody would around a maple tree standing still, but if there is a chase after you, you could use that.

Weapon hideouts:
You are more likely a sociopath, not a frenzy killer. You need to stash your weapon, walk most likely without a backpack, so people would be less afraid of what you might hold there.

Hide it behind the trees, if you click on the sweet spot, then you will be able to pick the knife through the tree.
Hide it behind the wall corner (these are the best).
If there are not many trees or wall corners in the area, you might hide it behind reeds or so, but there is a high chance somebody would see it in time.
Knife in my opinion is actually better to kill, as for knife you just pick it and kill, for the bow you must take both bow and an arrow, that might give someone enough time to run away.

Some tactics:

1. I need help with a cart.

Do it, when you are very young (but old enough to pick a weapon). Ask somebody (if you don't have a knife, just a bow, preferably a person with a knife) to help you with a cart that you found, but can't pull because you are too young to do that. Make them follow you, get to the place where you stashed your weapon, kill the person fast and hide behind a tree. If you are fast enough, you could take 2 people with that trick in one lifespan.

2. Come with me.

Well, this is actually a general version of the first one, just make somebody follow you to the stashed weapon.

3. Kidnap children.

A village cannot live without its babies. If you are a woman, you can just talk some bullshit to the kids, like you want to show them the village, and they will not jump out of your arms. Just make sure you take them far enough away so they would starve. This will not work in very populous villages.

4. Make the mother follow you.

Kidnap a child, hope it doesn't jump out. The mother would follow you to your weapon stash.

5. Ask questions.

If you want to do this the classic way, knife in your backpack, make sure to have pies/big things (like clothes) in your backpack, that will cover the knife. Poke somebody that is alone, ask him about something, tools location or to teach you how do to something. When they write an answer, simply right click your backpack and stab the guy. Hide behind a tree.

These are just some options, I'm sure you could invent more.

How to kill more effectively with a knife? Aim with your right mouse button on the tile, not on the person. Same with the bow.

If you ever get discovered, somebody sees you or you just missed, undress, make yourself naked or just leave a shoe or something, approach the village from another direction, help a bit with the carrots, and after some time rerun the process. They rarely remember names.

These tips might be very obvious but they are useful. I managed to wipe out several villages with just these simple tricks.

When there are just a couple people in the village left, like one or two, you might try to talk to them about the killer and gain their trust, or just go for the final fight.

Keep in mind, that killing a big village will take your entire lifetime.

What I learned from all of this too, is how to protect yourself from the murderers.
Do a lot of knives, really. It is extremely hard to wipe out a village when many people are armed. Doable though.
Some people tend to hide knives or bows with arrows when they find them, for safety. This makes them even more exposed. Keep the weapons.
If you see a murder grave, tell everybody. Everybody, so they would be prepared and not easily baited. Do not go to see the body alone (I mean, just with the guy that claims, that there is a dead body) but honestly, I don't know why would you even go there. Nothing to look at.
Design a village wisely. If it is not packed, people are easy to pick. Places that are very packed, bakers next to the carrot farm and so on provides witnesses and protection. That means, you would need to make good use of the space that you've got. Do not litter the ground.

I think it is all for the moment, might be a bit chaotic.

#2 2018-04-02 21:55:27

Laura

Re: How to be an effective, good murderer and wipe out entire villages

You really Need a therapist. Quickly.

#3 2018-04-02 22:12:01

llap

I think it wasn't Jason's original intention to run around murdering in the game. But he wanted to see how far a society could develop. And I'm afraid there are negative sides to that too. Without them the game would end quickly, but in the end it would also be unrealistic. So how much I loathe this kind of approach to the game so much I find it possible in order that this is possible. I would only wish that Jason imlement an update, that you don't kill with the knife or the arrow with the first hit but that you are injured first. This is even more realistic and makes it even more difficult for the murderers. Obviously it is the most important topic because it is discussed and complained about in so many topics. So anyway, I hope for an exciting further development of the game and the society that arises in the game. There will always be evil and love. hmm

llap Olli

#4 2018-04-02 22:13:13

Aname

Laura wrote:

Well i like if the murderer dont destroy farms and dont waste clothes. but still i think if someone is naked you can go for a sneak kill if they are ont the farm the most people wont see the blood on youre bow and just ignore it.

but sometimes they see that you have blood on the bow so it isnt a really smart plan but it can be very usefull to wipe out the village.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#5 2018-04-02 22:54:17

Laura

This game isn´t fun anymore.
Today in a town we got 4 Killers in 20 min.

When Jason wont make an update he can Play this game alone hmm

#6 2018-04-03 01:56:42

TrustyWay

I oftenly kill people, for population control, to chase naked stranged that still live like hobos, to empower my family, I kill lazy people that I prevented many times that they should work, for the fun or kill mass murderer doing that for the fun. I find it kinda hard to commit a murder in the middle of a town.

I think the main problem with murderer is the lag, some times you dont even see the guy draws his weapon.

And with the new cool down I have almost died of hunger many time.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-03 10:08:42)

#7 2018-04-03 02:04:16

pein

cmon damn troll.

i got a tip for people who wnat good gear. just step to smae tile as other kid waiting clothes, if you see any fur clothes or crowns, just pick a reed skirt on give on the baby, it swaps out then you can wear it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-04-03 03:15:10

Dchella

Laura wrote:

I agree with this, and I have stopped playing the game almost completely..
I am sick of being on damage control when playing a Civilization BUILDING game. It's annoying having to answer for the bellends who wish to ruin it.

Last edited by Dchella (2018-04-03 03:16:33)

#9 2018-04-03 05:21:10

Lexyvil

I actually felt proud for killing a killer. I felt as if I saved the society I was in.

From that, I learned that having multiple weapons in a village really makes it more prone to be safe from killers when good people use them to defend themselves.

#10 2018-04-03 06:46:30

Laura

Dchella wrote:
Laura wrote:

I agree with this, and I have stopped playing the game almost completely..
I am sick of being on damage control when playing a Civilization BUILDING game. It's annoying having to answer for the bellends who wish to ruin it.

I wish there was a way for a single Player Modus ...
Perhaps i make my own Server ... but i Need a smaller Card and i have no idea how i can do this hmm
I wish Jason would make this =_= i love the style and so but ...
The most kills are here at 8pm-1am - in the morning like 6am-10am is very friendly and handsome.
I live in Germany so the most assholes Show up in my nighttime, maybe a lot of european assholes ^^;

#11 2018-04-03 07:54:15

Alleria

Alf, I've probably killed you half a dozen times in your attempts at griefing. Go play a different game.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#12 2018-04-03 08:07:51

Go! Bwah!

Thanks for the info!

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#13 2018-04-03 10:11:27

Baker

I'm curious about why you don't see mass murder as griefing?

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#14 2018-04-03 10:30:54

Opedoll

llap wrote:

I think it wasn't Jason's original intention to run around murdering in the game. But he wanted to see how far a society could develop. And I'm afraid there are negative sides to that too. Without them the game would end quickly, but in the end it would also be unrealistic. So how much I loathe this kind of approach to the game so much I find it possible in order that this is possible. I would only wish that Jason imlement an update, that you don't kill with the knife or the arrow with the first hit but that you are injured first. This is even more realistic and makes it even more difficult for the murderers. Obviously it is the most important topic because it is discussed and complained about in so many topics. So anyway, I hope for an exciting further development of the game and the society that arises in the game. There will always be evil and love. hmm

You know I have a great Idea! Why can't we just get a maximum stab or shot at 2 instead of one hit, and Jason can create some new update where there is medicine we can make. Hopefully this can HELP balance out the mass murder.

#15 2018-04-03 10:33:21

Aname

Baker wrote:

because he isnt destroying the villiage only its population. he said that you only kill people that are on empty tiles. so you wont destroy the clothes.

and that you have to get all carrots in baskets. Btw let some carrots overgrow so the city can be easily rebuild.

But still just dont murder. It isnt really rewarding to kill a whole village. but still if someone is killing a town it better be the guy who wont destroy the whole village by destroying the clothes and fucking the farm up.

#16 2018-04-03 10:38:16

Aname

Opedoll wrote:
llap wrote:

You know I have a great Idea! Why can't we just get a maximum stab or shot at 2 instead of one hit, and Jason can create some new update where there is medicine we can make. Hopefully this can HELP balance out the mass murder.

Yea it makes the game way better. because its pretty annoying when you kill the griefer but he already killed all the girls. so youre village is doomed to die out.

#17 2018-04-03 10:54:58

Siolfor the Jackal

I don't know, when you're just murdering because you can, then it still seems like griefing to me. You may as well be destroying a town by killing the people maintaining it. And I'm a little tired of hearing about how it's realistic or whatever. As far as I'm aware, murder in ancient history was more about resources and not for shits and giggles.

#18 2018-04-03 11:57:40

Alf

To be honest, I do not kill only, when I play. Most of the time I am one of the peaceful citizens and focus on longer-lasting goals, like walls, wells, flooring. I believe killing might be a kind of a roleplay approach (though I do it for some change in the gameplay). There just are people with issues in the world, people causing harm, that is a fact. When I go on a spree, it's more like a challenge than giggles. Motives could be found. When you compare guys with knives in their backpacks, fully dressed, to you - only in a reed skirt, that might be the reason you would want to kill one of them. It is nice to be higher in the hierarchy and being nice clothed and armed determines it.

I would love to switch from an inside murderer to a plundering barbarian but so far, there is hardly a point doing that, as you cannot really conquer anything or make your family benefit from such actions. When I ask my children if we would form such tribe, they refuse most of the time. In my opinion, that is a bit obstructing the roleplay part.

Last edited by Alf (2018-04-03 11:58:26)

#19 2018-04-03 12:43:23

Alleria

Aname wrote:
Baker wrote:

...and that you have to get all carrots in baskets. Btw let some carrots overgrow so the city can be easily rebuild...

Friendly reminder that seeded carrots have a despawn timer now. Gotta pick those things fast...

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#20 2018-04-03 12:47:48

Aname

Alleria wrote:
Aname wrote:
Baker wrote:

...and that you have to get all carrots in baskets. Btw let some carrots overgrow so the city can be easily rebuild...

Friendly reminder that seeded carrots have a despawn timer now. Gotta pick those things fast...

yea thats what i meant.

#21 2018-04-03 13:51:57

quaity

What I have noticed, is that if I flash a knife occasionally, people don't f*** with me. Or if I have a bunch of bows and arrows around. You bet if I see anyone running around with a bow around me, I will be picking one up as well. Fight to survive!

Last edited by quaity (2018-04-03 13:52:17)

#22 2018-04-04 09:07:18

Lum

Laura wrote:

Says the one who wrote an entire post about how they were going to become a murderer too lol

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#23 2018-04-04 22:10:49

Babipoki

Laura wrote:

Make it me and Jason. So that's two.

#24 2018-04-04 22:58:08

Math3vv

Babipoki wrote:
Laura wrote:

i cant wait for "killers" to find out they need to build a town first in order to get a knife, hope that town gets murderd befor they make it

#25 2018-04-04 23:03:31

TrustyWay

Math3vv wrote:
Babipoki wrote:
Laura wrote:

i cant wait for "killers" to find out they need to build a town first in order to get a knife, hope that town gets murderd befor they make it

Nah they were using bow without cool down and fice of range, even worst.

Board footer