One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-31 02:01:44

JasonY

Cabbage compost better then berries?

I saw will be able to use shredded cabbage to make compost. Does that mean we should grow cabbage patches once you get established?

Seems easier to grow 6 cabbages and six wheats. Instead of doubling down on carrots and berries.

Last edited by JasonY (2019-12-31 02:04:59)

Need Content

#2 2019-12-31 03:41:36

pein

Re: Cabbage compost better then berries?

the best side is that people can't eat cabbage without a bit of work

so maybe you could use popcorn instead of berries

we seriously need more flooring and less  berries

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-12-31 03:53:07

Spoonwood

Does the town have a kraut board?  Do there exist enough berries to feed sheep?  Also, there's a one minute window between ripe cabbage and seeding cabbage.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-12-31 03:53:12

testo

The bad part will be a lot of soil lost because cabbage blooms, which makes it useless after five minutes (unless you want seeds).
What we need is an exponential penalty for eating berries. Something like berry intoxication or berry allergy after the 3rd or so gen.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#5 2019-12-31 03:54:26

testo

Spoonwood wrote:

Does the town have a kraut board?  Do there exist enough berries to feed sheep?  Also, there's a one minute window between ripe cabbage and seeding cabbage.

Five minutes now sir.
https://onetech.info/1210-Ripe-Cabbage-Plant

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2019-12-31 04:03:47

JasonY

Can't be much different to farming carrots though. It might be better if it was multi-use since you have a whole crock of it as opposed to one bowl.

Another idea I had was putting mashed carrots and berries inside a crock, Fill it up and leave it around sheeps. Later use bowls to feed sheep when you need to. Or simply add a lot of berries to a crock then a bunch of carrots+stomper. Batch crafting as opposed to making everything individually.

Last edited by JasonY (2019-12-31 04:05:22)

Need Content

#7 2019-12-31 06:33:24

Spoonwood

Thanks testo!  I didn't realize that had changed.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2019-12-31 06:54:44

testo

JasonY wrote:

Can't be much different to farming carrots though. It might be better if it was multi-use since you have a whole crock of it as opposed to one bowl.

Another idea I had was putting mashed carrots and berries inside a crock, Fill it up and leave it around sheeps. Later use bowls to feed sheep when you need to. Or simply add a lot of berries to a crock then a bunch of carrots+stomper. Batch crafting as opposed to making everything individually.

This has been suggested several times by now: using crocks as storage. However this doesn´t appeal the game master.

It would be pretty easy to make

- crock of grain (holds 6 bowls of wheat, large containable),
- crock of berry carrot compost (holds 6 bowls, large non containable),
- crock of clay (holds 6 clay pieces, large non containable),
- crock of roasted rabbit (holds 6 roasted rabbits instead of having them laying on the ground, large non containable)
- crock of mutton (holds six cooked mutton, large containable),
- crock of...

- Jack Ass

#9 2019-12-31 06:56:03

DestinyCall

testo wrote:

The bad part will be a lot of soil lost because cabbage blooms, which makes it useless after five minutes (unless you want seeds).
What we need is an exponential penalty for eating berries. Something like berry intoxication or berry allergy after the 3rd or so gen.

Just make people explode if they eat more than ten berries in one lifetime.   

Problem solved.

#10 2019-12-31 06:57:29

testo

Spoonwood wrote:

Thanks testo!  I didn't realize that had changed.

Yeah I had the same idea when I saw this post, like how many times have I missed that timing, so I went to check it. I have lost several cabbage crops in my games hmm

- Jack Ass

#11 2019-12-31 07:59:08

Punkypal

testo wrote:

- crock of grain (holds 6 bowls of wheat, large containable),
- crock of berry carrot compost (holds 6 bowls, large non containable),
- crock of clay (holds 6 clay pieces, large non containable),
- crock of roasted rabbit (holds 6 roasted rabbits instead of having them laying on the ground, large non containable)
- crock of mutton (holds six cooked mutton, large containable),
- crock of...

I think this is a great idea, but....

Would we be able to store excess sheep dung? That would be a crock of shit.

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#12 2019-12-31 12:37:58

miskas

just did the math, Cabbage compost is more expensive than berry carrot compost.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … &range=Z29

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#13 2019-12-31 12:51:44

Spoonwood

miskas wrote:

I'm not following this.  A berry-carrot bowl from domestic sources is (((6/7) + (1/5)) + 1) for the wheat, berries, and carrot, while cabbage is (1 + 1) for the cabbage and wheat.  That assumes that you have the kraut board up already.  So, I would think that berry-carrot compost is more expensive than cabbage compost when coming from domestic sources.  Though, berry-carrot compost coming from wild sources is less expensive than cabbage compost.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2019-12-31 13:39:35

fug

miskas wrote:

As spoon said, can you describe how you're getting the water cost to be so high because:

A). With wild cabbages you can produce unlimited seeds meaning if you just hunted wild cabbages for seeds you could potentially return with 20-40 seeds depending on your horse cart.

B). You can move wild cabbages and bring them to town meaning if you have a bunch of bowls ready you could potentially turn one wild cabbage into an absolute ton of seeds.

As a cabbage guru you should never be seeding them and instead should either have a massive amount of seeds prepped via horse cart gathering or bringing one back and just mass filling bowls.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#15 2019-12-31 15:03:01

testo

fug wrote:
miskas wrote:

As spoon said, can you describe how you're getting the water cost to be so high because:

A). With wild cabbages you can produce unlimited seeds meaning if you just hunted wild cabbages for seeds you could potentially return with 20-40 seeds depending on your horse cart.

B). You can move wild cabbages and bring them to town meaning if you have a bunch of bowls ready you could potentially turn one wild cabbage into an absolute ton of seeds.

As a cabbage guru you should never be seeding them and instead should either have a massive amount of seeds prepped via horse cart gathering or bringing one back and just mass filling bowls.

I believe they are pretty much in the same range, since carrot seeds are abundant in the map (and you gel like 7 for a row or something). Giiven that wild berries are as good as domestic berries one could potentially just soil from the outside. If you account for seeding or not and for other uses meh im almost sure they are close to even. The big kicker is you know cabbage is only going to be used for compost and not for berriers or carroters.

- Jack Ass

#16 2019-12-31 17:47:14

miskas

fug wrote:

you cant replant wild cabbage though and it will decay after 2 min
https://edge.onetech.info/1204-Dug-Wild-Cabbage

previously in my formula, I assumed domestic seeds only (as in all my others calculations)
(I also convey soil to water and iron to water) Iron is domestic soil is domestic as well.

I recalculated with wild seeds and Cabbage consumes 5.69 water. the full domestic berrycarot compost consumes 5.74.
the difference is trivial, I don't believe that someone will go far with a cart and 4 bowls to gather cabbage seeds for that.

(as a wild berry guru I never need to do compost cause I never eat domestic food)

PS: now that we don't really produce Iron and we only gather it from the wild I need to split the total water to iron and water ( just did it )
btw Sisters stew is a waste, just do popcorn

Last edited by miskas (2019-12-31 18:55:37)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

Board footer