One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-28 06:08:40

Gogo
Banned

No need to be saviour

I've seen this many times. My village needed rubber (etc.) so I'm taking horse, go search for it. In next few hours this village become abandoned even if I saved them. So what's the point on spending live as a saviour, when they will just move on or die out? I lost motivation.

Last edited by Gogo (2019-12-28 06:09:11)

#2 2019-12-28 06:17:24

DarkDrak

Re: No need to be saviour

What you should do instead is: recruit young girls from your village, fill them up with all the pies you can and then set on a trip to find a new village to settle in.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#3 2019-12-28 07:31:33

DestinyCall

Nothing ever lasts.   All progress is an illusion.   Death is the only constant.

#4 2019-12-28 07:41:37

Star

DestinyCall wrote:

Nothing ever lasts.   All progress is an illusion.   Death is the only constant.

What a positive way to think about it!

Bob <3

#5 2019-12-28 10:38:22

testo

DestinyCall wrote:

Yes something remains. No, progress is not an illusion: its a sedative. Life and death are too parts of the same process.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2019-12-28 15:08:34

Villas

Families are moving frequently, there is a 1000+ tiles straight horizontal road connecting a lot of towns, even if a town is dead, someone will move there eventually. Yesterday I was Eve Brazil, I knew there were a whole lot of abandoned towns, so I ran east, found a living town, had two a babies there, tamed a horse and kept heading east until I found a big dead town which was connected to that 1000+ had a baby there and then I went to bell because I found kerosine hidden behind a bear cave and I knew the Bell Town was running out of water, had my last girl there.

So people eventually find those dead towns and live there. Families die quickly, but there are towns 1 week old + there, so your work will be enjoyed by someone. Even you in the future, you can go there and have your family, tell the history of the town so they will feel connected to it and work harder.

#7 2019-12-28 16:17:43

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

There's no point in anything in this game. Towns die out so quick because progress is too hard.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#8 2019-12-28 19:32:53

Wuatduhf

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

There's no point in anything in this game. Towns die out so quick because progress is too hard.

Yeah, if towns are setup properly they "only" last a few IRL days. That's not short in my opinion, but hey, it's an opinion.

The point to the game is to try and keep towns "alive" long enough that

1) The technology gets "passed forward" to the next town, and so on and so forth, and
2) The playerbase gets enough room to "learn" from their parents, or on their own volition, in a relaxing environment that only sustaining megacities can provide the room for.

When a town has tons of food and tons of water in the Cisterns (which will occur every few generations), there becomes space for parents to feel less pressured to gather, that they can focus on their kids and teaching them new things they may not know, or their kids teaching them something new, etc. etc.

There is a % of the population that is 'enlightened' to how critical aspects of towns work.
There is a % of the population that is 'griefing' however much they can.
There is a % of the population that is 'berrymuncher' and just do whatever they've learned on their own and play extremely care-free despite everyone dying.
The remaining % of the population are players that have yet to fall into one of these stereotypical categories are are just feeling their way through.

The meta of the game at this point is to try to increase the % ratio of 'Enlightened' versus 'Griefers'. This can only happen if the current players that are 'enlightened' are able to pass on knowledge to the rest of society, which will only happen during the windows where towns are well-supplied.

#9 2019-12-28 21:07:23

ollj

building cities is a bad idea to begin with.

#10 2019-12-28 21:16:52

DestinyCall

ollj wrote:

building cities is a bad idea to begin with.

Yeah.   Bears don't need cities to be happy.   We should learn from bears and appreciate the simple things.

#11 2019-12-28 21:48:08

Keyin

DestinyCall wrote:

Yeah.   Bears don't need cities to be happy.   We should learn from bears and appreciate the simple things.

Agreed. In real life we have things like 'comfort' and 'disease' to worry about.  In game the only concern boils down to food and food security.

#12 2019-12-28 21:52:09

Legs

A lot of the time your family has several settlements and some people in the bell town too, so even if your small town dies out it won't end the family line.

When you by yourself could make rubber in a reasonable time frame I'd sometimes go searching to build a newcomen pump for the deepwell. Now that's not really reasonable.

Loco Motion

#13 2019-12-31 04:05:05

pein

we built 3 cisterns and watered some crops
I upgraded the well and emptied out the upgraded well into the cisterns

5 min later we had empty well

so basically 30 buckets of water
now you won't have rubber and horses, it's a bunch of shit you leave behind, nobody will ever go there and survive

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2019-12-31 06:56:34

Gomez

Given the nature of game mechanics the only true survival is to keep moving...every town given enough time becomes uninhabitable. At best we can enjoy brief periods of abundance and leisure to do creative ventures. 

This is why I usually name my Eve Trip and teach my children the way of the nomad as I know it. 

Even abandoned towns can get revitalized if an Eve stumbles upon it....often times I'll be leaving a camp in good order that is dying or almost dead and my brother may say "you know all the eves are dead?" and I reply that doesn't mean I'm gonna quit or trash the camp....I've even had Eves roll up when I'm about to die in a dead town. A lot of work may seem for naught but smart players know how to find and capitalize on work already done.

I think the best thing you can do for any camp is supply it with as much race specific articles as you can and hope it gets found....consider the survival of man as a species rather than a familial bloodline and you efforts still bear fruit.

If you feeling down take a break or a trip, or hell trip on some shrooms.  We all fall down, trip or stumble from time to time life isn't always peaches and cream but its about the journey and the trip try to enjoy and have fun on it from time to time.  Otherwise that shit will grind you down if you focus strictly on the progress and survival.  Shit fails from time to time and that's just part of the trip. So who's to say what the trip means or limit it to one meaning? Only a damn fool... smile

-eve trip

Last edited by Gomez (2019-12-31 07:07:41)

#15 2019-12-31 12:58:36

JasonY

Gomez wrote:

Given the nature of game mechanics the only true survival is to keep every town uninhabitable. At best we can enjoy brief periods of abundance and leisure to do creative ventures. 

I'm gonna trash the camp....I've even had Eves roll up to die in a dead town. A lot of work for naught but smart players know

Take a break or a trip, or hell trip on some shrooms. Have fun on it from time to time.  if you focus on the progress and survival.  Shit fails. So who's to say what the trip means or limit it to one meaning? Only a damn fool... smile

-eve trip

Last edited by JasonY (2019-12-31 13:00:22)

Need Content

#16 2019-12-31 13:04:22

Gogo
Banned

Yeah. Supply for anything that camp needs and suicide, tell kids to move to another towns.

#17 2019-12-31 14:24:16

Spoonwood

JasonY,

I've now reported three of your 'quotes'.  It is simply not fair, nice, or polite to deliberately misquote people as you've been doing for a few days now.  Paraphrasing for the sake of a summary is one thing, but deliberately misquoting people is dishonest.  It's not a matter of opinion either.  In more serious contexts it's also an awfully bad habit to have, as I would guess that it could even rise to the level of libel or slander.

Edit: Alright, it's more than 3 now.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-31 14:26:06)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#18 2020-01-01 01:36:01

JasonY

Spoonwood wrote:

JasonY,

It is simply Paraphrasing for the sake of a summary.  It's matter of opinion. it's also a habit I would slander.

Edit: Alright, it's now.

Last edited by JasonY (2020-01-01 01:38:37)

Need Content

#19 2020-01-01 02:05:36

DestinyCall

I agree, Spoon.    This is getting too annoying.

Reported.

#20 2020-01-01 02:24:21

JasonY

Okay fine, People are crying too hard. I'll stop.

Need Content

Board footer