One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-22 10:22:08

jcwilk

Can you defeat Bearena?

I spent much of my life running to belltown because curses and such, but I thought Bearena turned out quite well regardless. Sadly the youngster contender didn't quite come of bow age in time so he presumably illegitimately was released by my old age death, but it was still a glorious match.

Bearena
IMG-20191222-013243.jpg

The title bout
IMG-20191222-015046.jpg

The pre-game show
IMG-20191222-014151.jpg

Sorry for the screen photos, just gave in and started giving hetuw a spin and haven't sorted out screenshots.

Have you hosted a bearena? Share your stories and pics!

Last edited by jcwilk (2019-12-22 10:35:56)

#2 2019-12-22 14:46:02

wondible

Re: Can you defeat Bearena?

Oh, so you are the one trapping people in property gate mazes?

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#3 2019-12-22 14:59:04

Spoonwood

Wondible,

jcwilk talked about doing such on discord also.  I didn't see anything about him making pads either.

CURSE EVE JCWILK

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-12-22 15:41:53

Cantface

I want to give it a try! Something fun and different than the usual murder and mayhem! I love the controlled chaos of the Bearena. I think you created a really fun game (that fertile moms definitely shouldn't play.)

Breasticles

#5 2019-12-22 15:57:09

Melea

I'd try it! Although the organizer shouldn't randomly steal kids or trick newbs to enter the bearena - volunteers only. Best would be having some prize to give the winner (BP? Nice clothes?) and have fresh pads and needle+thread inside to patch up losers.

Trapping people who don't want to play is just griefing of another color, but I think voluntary gladiatorial games can be quite interesting.

#6 2019-12-22 16:55:03

Spoonwood

I agree with Melea.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2019-12-22 18:24:16

Toxolotl

Quality use of 10 ropes. Smh.

#8 2019-12-22 18:44:49

jcwilk

Toxolotl wrote:

I think you need to revisit onetech, friend. The gates are just a long straight shaft. If you see a 4 year old dragging a pair of long straight shafts in from the wilderness over and over and over, or a cart stacked so high with them it's nearly toppling over, say hello!

#9 2019-12-22 18:45:30

sigmen4020

Toxolotl wrote:

You might be out of the loop here. Property gates don’t cost rope anymore, but rather long shafts. So making property gates is pretty cheap now. Here’s the Onetech link:

https://edge.onetech.info/2984-Shaky-Pr … Gate-owned

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-12-22 18:46:17)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#10 2019-12-22 18:54:18

jcwilk

Melea wrote:

I'd try it! Although the organizer shouldn't randomly steal kids or trick newbs to enter the bearena - volunteers only. Best would be having some prize to give the winner (BP? Nice clothes?) and have fresh pads and needle+thread inside to patch up losers.

Trapping people who don't want to play is just griefing of another color, but I think voluntary gladiatorial games can be quite interesting.

Being awarded the privilege of life and continuing their lineage is the most seductive reward of all! Few gladiatorial participants are volunteers, very few indeed.

The stolen children are actually usually the bait, this brave upstart found himself in my care when he followed me in after the lovely desert dwelling child he noticed me carrying off.

Remember kids, never walk through open property gates you don't own unless you plan on staying a long time!

#11 2019-12-22 19:06:19

jcwilk

wondible wrote:

Oh, so you are the one trapping people in property gate mazes?

Practice makes perfect wink Think of it as The Castle Doctrine: OHOL Edition

Last edited by jcwilk (2019-12-22 19:07:51)

#12 2019-12-22 20:24:08

Cantface

Yooooo I don't agree with people being locked behind these and lured in no no. There's been too many times behind locked doors, sealed walls and fences for me in this game! but if I throw myself in the bear pit you won't hear any complaints from me, I should know better at this point. But...I don't lmao and that's why I run out of tool slots all the time too because I'm feckin dumb and forget to keep count. big_smile Never been the best at strategy or survival either.

Also I agree that the Bearena should be a voluntary thing and not some trap, then it's just a typical pit of death and I'd hate to be a bby born in there just hopeless, it's the choice to go in and turn it into a trial battle that makes it fun!

Last edited by Cantface (2019-12-22 20:34:03)

Breasticles

#13 2019-12-22 21:13:41

jcwilk

Cantface wrote:

Yooooo I don't agree with people being locked behind these and lured in no no.

Funny coincidence, "NO NO" was the same thing that little pre-game show bb said when he saw the bear in the next pen beneath him!

Cantface wrote:

I'd hate to be a bby born in there just hopeless, it's the choice to go in and turn it into a trial battle that makes it fun!

Generally speaking, although I did a couple times in the past, I avoid trapping my own children unless I'm forced to out of being bunkered inside from angry villagers. A key element of people trapping is that with optimal play there's absolutely no reason to end up in a property fence trap. So trapping someone since birth is basically cheating. The exception to that is if a trapped mother gives birth then it's just a consequence of the mother's mistake and her genetic score will suffer accordingly.

I try to keep those under my care fed to the best of my ability, assuming they behave, but inevitably a mouth is left wanting now and then. Hence the berry bowl, good for force feeding unfortunate bbs.

Last edited by jcwilk (2019-12-22 21:25:24)

#14 2019-12-22 21:27:07

Cantface

jcwilk wrote:

Funny coincidence, "NO NO" was the same thing that little pre-game show bb said when he saw the bear in the next pen beneath him!

Well I know that wasn't me, I haven't played in a week or so but if you've been doing this for a while you might have actually caught me once or twice lol. I tend to have a special insult in game I've never heard anyone else use and it's skinny penis so if you've heard that before you definitely have caught me! big_smile

Breasticles

#15 2019-12-22 21:45:13

jcwilk

Cantface wrote:
jcwilk wrote:

Well I know that wasn't me, I haven't played in a week or so but if you've been doing this for a while you might have actually caught me once or twice lol. I tend to have a special insult in game I've never heard anyone else use and it's skinny penis so if you've heard that before you definitely have caught me! big_smile

Hmm doesn't sound familiar but I'll keep my ears open. You'd probably remember, I usually use an 8 door design similar to the top half of the bearena (that's the people trapping airlock clusterfuck part) I've tried a few other designs but that one really carries the torch in terms of flexibility vs total footprint. Small footprint is important not just for fitting it into a space (surprisingly hard to find a large enough clear area) but also to minimize the chance of early detection.

The one depicted is the elongated version with 2 tiles per room, more room for dropping things which can become problematic when all the rooms have residents and angry villagers are waiting outside for you to dump things so you can reload the bow. Also the elongated version has non-gate wall segments between pairs of rooms which means you can put a property fence box on there for serving food to the guests. Also the longer rooms mean you can configure it to be a long horseshoe setup which makes trapping someone chasing you with a bow possible. For the compact version just trim it down to be 2 rows narrower. Compact version is 5x5, depicted elongated version is 7x5, both require 8 long shafts and not much else.

Stocking up on arrows is recommended, aside from Bearena equipment I mean. To dispense of unwanted griefers outside lock on to the target first, wait for murder mouth delay to pass, then open the door and fire instantly. Recede back into the establishment to recover, doors can still be operated with bloody fingers. Griefers with knives are harmless in this case, but make sure any with bows haven't locked on to you first. Rinse and repeat until they chill and leave your hotel to operate in peace.

The smallest possible peoplebox that can be operated from the inside without accidentally evicting a resident would be 5x3, basically two rooms/airlocks that connect to each other with each room also leading outside. 5x3 is very marginally smaller than 5x5 so I don't usually go with that unless there's a tiny spot that would be perfect or unless it's too difficult to find nearby long straight shafts (only 3 required rather than 8) or I'm bound by time.

Last edited by jcwilk (2019-12-22 21:56:10)

#16 2019-12-22 22:43:34

Cantface

Anyone that builds and organises fenced towns, sheep pens and buildings I respect because although I fix a few doors here and there and make a couple crappy small pens I am SO BAD at it. No idea why carpentry is the one thing I can't do very well and it's a little embarrassing tbh. Kudos to you, that shit sounds elaborate to me, although it's probably more simple than I think. :V

But yes , Bearena should be added to a list of fun things to do when bored in game, glorious.

Breasticles

#17 2019-12-22 23:15:46

jcwilk

Cantface wrote:

Anyone that builds and organises fenced towns, sheep pens and buildings I respect because although I fix a few doors here and there and make a couple crappy small pens I am SO BAD at it. No idea why carpentry is the one thing I can't do very well and it's a little embarrassing tbh. Kudos to you, that shit sounds elaborate to me, although it's probably more simple than I think. :V

But yes , Bearena should be added to a list of fun things to do when bored in game, glorious.

Practice! Property fences are basically completely free and instant to build and tear down until you set them with a stone. It's great building practice tbh, ohol controls are simple but a bit bizarre, like it's completely insane that there's no way to move in the vanilla client besides clicking which is the same input for picking up/using/etc. Not sure if you use hetuw mod but it makes building property fences so nice... Just put down the long straight shafts first where the doors will go then pick up the twigs and do WASD and space to put down all the walls in seconds.

They're so easy to build that it's worth considering throwing up a quick fence for a foraging outpost if you think you'll be out there for more than 20 minutes. It's annoying af when someone wanders by and helps themselves to your rabbits and milkweed and it takes a total of probably about 60 seconds to build and finalize a large property assuming there are branches nearby. (aside from the 3min + 5min waiting periods)

Last edited by jcwilk (2019-12-22 23:17:08)

#18 2019-12-22 23:56:31

Cantface

jcwilk wrote:

It's great building practice tbh, ohol controls are simple but a bit bizarre, like it's completely insane that there's no way to move in the vanilla client besides clicking which is the same input for picking up/using/etc. Not sure if you use hetuw mod but it makes building property fences so nice... Just put down the long straight shafts first where the doors will go then pick up the twigs and do WASD and space to put down all the walls in seconds.

They're so easy to build that it's worth considering throwing up a quick fence for a foraging outpost if you think you'll be out there for more than 20 minutes. It's annoying af when someone wanders by and helps themselves to your rabbits and milkweed..

I do indeed have a zoom mod although my twin has hetuw I still have awbz I do want to switch at some point though as I prefer the other setup overall. Don't get me wrong, I know how to build most of it, it's the placement that I always and consistently, without fail fuck up and get frustrated with. I usually let the faster ppl set it all up but when no one has made a pen yet I try to do it myself. Most of the time though I end up helping someone else as they take over and I'm just like THANK GOD. My pens are the worst man.

Blocking off an early rabbit hunting zone is a sick idea though! God I wish I had thought of that rather than running ages away to a new patch and setting up a far away camp no-one will steal from lmao! I've been doing it all wrong, thanks so much for the tip! big_smile

Breasticles

#19 2019-12-23 11:45:23

StrongForce

Also try "bear trap"
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8790

My twist on jc's idea

Baby dance!!

#20 2019-12-23 15:04:02

Morti

Has that UO cloth map been tacked to that wall for over 20 years?
b805rsZ.png
Makes me wonder where in storage mine is... You have the pewter pin too?

I just noticed, the wall there is painted cinder blocks... How is that attached to the wall?

#21 2019-12-23 16:31:40

Spoonwood

*gasp* The skull lives!  I swear, necromancer that I am, I did NOT summorn The Morti!  Though, would have been cool if I had that sort of power, but no.  Didn't do it.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-23 16:31:55)

Danish Clinch.

#22 2019-12-23 20:10:43

jcwilk

Morti wrote:

Has that UO cloth map been tacked to that wall for over 20 years?
https://i.imgur.com/b805rsZ.png
Makes me wonder where in storage mine is... You have the pewter pin too?

I just noticed, the wall there is painted cinder blocks... How is that attached to the wall?

Haha! I was wondering if someone would pick out that little background detail, good eye. Definitely didn't expect someone to appreciate the challenge of adhering a porous map to an unstabbable wall though! That's some next level awareness. I covered the back of the map with packing tape so I can stick it to things with double-sided tape, seems to work well and presumably doesn't damage the map (not that it's in good condition or anything)

But no, hasn't been hanging there for 20 years as I've been moving around but I tend to keep it somewhere visible when I can to remind myself of the golden years. I'll always remember the sensation of running around in a virtual, persistent world with thousands of other people for the first time. Who the hell knows how they were able to get so much right on the very first try in totally new territory. They got a lot wrong too but that's okay haha.

Sadly, no, the pin has not stayed with me and people always ask about that when they see the map haha I need to go find one on ebay or something to complete the pair it must be lonely.

#23 2019-12-23 21:21:07

Morti

Spoonwood wrote:

*gasp* The skull lives!  I swear, necromancer that I am, I did NOT summorn The Morti!  Though, would have been cool if I had that sort of power, but no.  Didn't do it.

Hey Spoon. Saw you post in a thread that I'd never come back to the forum. So I did.

Lot of reading to catch up on, most of which has been my own posts over the years; I have to recall what kind of person I was here, it's been that long. A lot of information has come and gone (mostly gone) from my head over the last few months, so, I'm just looking through my old posts, picking and choosing which things I said or did that I felt good about afterwards, and which things I felt, less good about.

Taking those One Hour One Life Inspired Photos, was certainly one of the better things.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6911

So, by reminding me of that, I suppose, in a way, you did sort of, summon me.
But it wasn't just that. Just the fact that it's the season for people to be with their families, made me think of all of you.
ALL of you.

Especially the naughty ones; I'm stealing the coal from your stockings and I'm going to put it all in a pile, load it into a basket, fire up the forge and mak-

I'm going to make a hoe and grow all the fruits and vegetables that go into your favorite dishes.

W5Qlyhs.gif

#24 2019-12-24 03:29:52

Spoonwood

Morti wrote:

Saw you post in a thread that I'd never come back to the forum.

Glad to get proven wrong.  Good to have you around Morti!

Danish Clinch.

Board footer