One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-19 19:40:23

DarkDrak

Spoonwood, we need to have a talk.

Kinrany wrote:

Spoonwood, everyone assumes that the thread is recent. Even if we could continue the discussion, it's much better to start a new thread and quote and/or link the important parts. Otherwise people will be constantly confused by old comments that were made in a totally different context.

jcwilk wrote:

Stop doing this

cordy wrote:

LOL, i thought this was a new forum thread! big_smile

Saolin wrote:

Oh spoonwood, the one person who's made it his mission to gradually train everyone to check the date of the original post before reading a thread.

From this necroed thread: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6365

jcwilk wrote:

Wonder who necroed this thread from 8 months ago, surprise surprise

spoony - To be clear, people were saying you should just link to dead threads rather than reply to them... not reply to the dead thread with a link to the live thread.

arkajalka wrote:

oh wow didnt even realize

the F spoonwood...

miskas wrote:

Damn Spownwood!  JUST make New Threads and link the old one in your post, DONT REPLAY, You confuse people.

Gogo wrote:

Yeah, I was just reading this topic thinking 'is Jason up to something, more changes?' and then realized it's not a new topic! Please Spoonwood, don't do this.

From this necored thread: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewto … d=5824&p=4

WalrusesConquer wrote:

who keeps necroing topics dammit

Let the thread die and start a new one

From this necroed thread: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewto … d=1401&p=4

Also another thread necroed:
http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewto … d=8320&p=3

I think there was another one but i can't find it. Maybe i'm wrong on this one, but that's not the point.

The point is: Spoon, can you stop necroing threads please?
If i understand you correctly, you do it because you dont think there's anything bad in doing so. You're not wrong, it isnt a bad thing on its own. it's just annoying as hell. People open up threads thinking there's some new discussion, only to find three pages of old news. Why do it when you got a great alternative that people keep telling you about: make new threads and link to the old ones? In practic, it's the same thing: you continue an old discussion, but there's a crucial difference: you dont clickbait people with old stuff; instead you present things as they are.

Last edited by DarkDrak (2019-12-19 22:52:58)

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#2 2019-12-19 20:06:34

Spoonwood

Re: Spoonwood, we need to have a talk.

DarkDrak wrote:

People open up threads thinking there's some new discussion, only to find three pages of old news.

So, I don't just say 'BUMP!'.  I usually have some opinion on what got said in one of those threads.  So, I think there's some new discussion there.  You want to say that what I write is no new information, I guess you can.  But seriously, with the walls of text I sometimes write, you think there's nothing in there?

DarkDrak wrote:

Why do it when you got a great alternative that people keep telling you about: make new threads and link to the old ones?

Because I believe that people are more likely to read the old information if I comment in those threads.  And from you're telling me, they do read the old information after I've posted in the way that I do.  They end up reading more of the old comments or the original post.  I mean, how often do people actually follow links?  I would guess less often than reading comments.

DarkDrak wrote:

In practic, it's the same thing: you continue an old discussion, but there's a crucial difference: you dont clickbait people with old stuff; instead you present things as they are.

Ah, but see the thing is, I'm trying to get people to think about how things could be or how they should be, not how they are.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-19 20:07:39)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-12-19 20:07:38

sigmen4020

My biggest problem with it is that it's confusing as all hell. Earlier I went on the forum and saw this thread at the top:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6365

And my first thoughts were worries that Jason might nerf the maps content again, but then I scroll down and realize it's just another Spoon necro. Never mind the fact that Jason could check these forums randomly, see that thread on the front page and think "Hmm, maybe the map is too rich in ressources now too".

Edit: If you wanted new discussions there, it clearly doesn't seem to be working, since everyone is too distracted by your necroing to respond to your actual points. Just make a new thread or something that compiles your thoughts on stuff said in old threads. There you can then quote the relevant posts from that old thread/threads and link to the original thread.

Many people have suggested you do that instead.

It's distracting to see a bunch of month old threads at the top all the darn time.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-12-19 20:12:11)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#4 2019-12-19 20:11:06

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:

And my first thoughts were worries that Jason might nerf the maps content again ...

It wouldn't surprise me if he did in some way.  "Everything runs out", "Evolve or Die" and all that.  Kinrany and Dodge also were talking about nerfing the map again, and they're on some forum list that is only open to certain individuals as Tarr informed us last night on the discord.

sigmen4020 wrote:

see that thread on the front page and think "Hmm, maybe the map is too rich in ressources now too".

Sure, he could.  But, now you're speaking up about such a concern, aren't you?

Danish Clinch.

#5 2019-12-19 20:24:13

DarkDrak

Spoonwood wrote:

So, I don't just say 'BUMP!'.  I usually have some opinion on what got said in one of those threads.  So, I think there's some new discussion there.  You want to say that what I write is no new information, I guess you can.  But seriously, with the walls of text I sometimes write, you think there's nothing in there?

That's not at all what i meant. What i'm saying is that there are three pages of old information that people have already read months ago. Then there's your new post with some new information/discussion/a new point of view. It's really annoying to read old stuff when you opened the thread to find the new part of it. Am i making sense? I'll try to explain myself better if i don't.

Spoonwood wrote:

Because I believe that people are more likely to read the old information if I comment in those threads.  And from you're telling me, they do read the old information after I've posted in the way that I do.  They end up reading more of the old comments or the original post.  I mean, how often do people actually follow links?  I would guess less often than reading comments.

That's exactly the problem. There's no need for most people to read the old comments again. Maybe scroll past them to remember a bit what the discussion was about. But ending up reading old stuff, expecting to find something new is just annoying.
People do end up following the links to other thread if they're really interested in the argument and want to discuss it. If they dont follow links, then they either already rememebr the grist of it or had no intention to participate the discussion in the first place.

Spoonwood wrote:
DarkDrak wrote:

In practic, it's the same thing: you continue an old discussion, but there's a crucial difference: you dont clickbait people with old stuff; instead you present things as they are.

Ah, but see the thing is, I'm trying to get people to think about how things could be or how they should be, not how they are.

No sorry, i don't see how is this related to what i said. By making new thread and linking to old, you present an old discussion as an old discussion. By necroing a thread, you present an old discussion as a new argument. People still end up thinking about possibilities in both scenatios.

Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

#6 2019-12-19 21:09:28

Spoonwood

DarkDrak wrote:

Then there's your new post with some new information/discussion/a new point of view. It's really annoying to read old stuff when you opened the thread to find the new part of it.

Alright, you feel annoyed.  But I don't know what to do about your annoyance.  Reading those old comments is good in my opinion.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-19 21:12:03)

Danish Clinch.

#7 2019-12-19 21:34:40

DarkDrak

Spoonwood wrote:

Alright, you feel annoyed.

Me and at least 8 other people. Which is why i felt the need to talk about it.

Spoonwood wrote:

Reading those old comments is good in my opinion.

We have divergent opinions here, i guess. That's fine, you dont have to agree with my point. If you can understand it, im ok with that.

Spoonwood wrote:

But I don't know what to do about your annoyance.

Please, just let us decide for ourselves if we want to read them or not. Reading old forum posts 'cause i opened a link to that is clearly my decision, but ending up reading them 'cause a thread is necroed just feels being tricked.

#8 2019-12-19 21:45:19

Spoonwood

DarkDrak wrote:

Please, just let us decide for ourselves if we want to read them or not

Uh... I don't think I'm forcing you to read them or making any sort of threat towards you or giving you reward if you read them either.  Before reading one of these threads that I have revived, you chose to click on a link from the main forums or from the discord didn't you?

Danish Clinch.

#9 2019-12-19 22:10:03

DarkDrak

Spoonwood wrote:

Uh... I don't think I'm forcing you to read them or making any sort of threat towards you or giving you reward if you read them either.  Before reading one of these threads that I have revived, you chose to click on a link from the main forums or from the discord didn't you?

I mean, tecnically, you're right, you aren't forcing anybody to read anything.

It's that, when i see, for example, "The role of males in the game by jasonrohrer", my thoughts are "oh yay, new buffs for males" and as i read through it, they devolve into "waitasec, we've been through this already. 8 months ago. wtf"

That's why i refered to it as "clickbaiting". When i clicked on that thread, I wasnt choosing to read old discussions, i was choosing to read about new upgrades. Which is why, i felt being tricked.

So, you aren't forcind people into reading old comments. You're tricking them into doing that. (Yes, the ones being tricked into it are partially at fault, i'm not gonna deny that. It's also my fault for starting to read the thread before looking at the date of its creation. But the trickster is also at fault here and you can't deny that either)

I'm sorry for being acusatory here, but that's what I feel.
I realise that you want to discuss with others about some aspects of the game, that you would like people to be informed about them too and that, ultimately, we all want Jason to notice some stuff and then to make his better. I also realise that you are necroing threads in good faith. But i feel that, in doing so, you are being inconsiderate to others, especially since you're provided with a simple alternative.

So please, can you stop necroing old threads?

Last edited by DarkDrak (2019-12-19 22:10:58)

#10 2019-12-19 22:13:31

Melea

Spoonwood wrote:
DarkDrak wrote:

Please, just let us decide for ourselves if we want to read them or not

I think his point is that he clicked on a apparently "new", front-page thread because he thought it was all new discussion. Instead the vast majority of that thread is old (possibly laughably outdated) material from months ago.

Starting to read through a "new" thread just to find that the whole thing is a discussion that petered out a long time ago, with poster's premises often based on what is now outdated material...it's annoying. It doesn't matter how interesting your post is - it's gonna be seen as obnoxious by some (most?) folk if you're just going around tacking a new post onto the end of a long-dead thing and clogging up the forum's front page with relatively ancient material.

Please, just make a new thread with your ideas, and put a link to the relevant old thread in your post.

#11 2019-12-19 22:44:00

arkajalka

DarkDrak wrote:

i am gay

You dropped something into my quote box that i didnt even say.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#12 2019-12-19 22:58:19

DarkDrak

arkajalka wrote:
DarkDrak wrote:

i am gay

Me too.

Demn, you're right. Sorry, fixed it. I pinned jcwilk's quote on you while trying to group them.

#13 2019-12-20 00:32:43

jcwilk

Spoonwood wrote:

But seriously, with the walls of text I sometimes write, you think there's nothing in there?

Yes, yes we all do think that.

#14 2019-12-20 02:04:42

testo

100% will read again when "someone" necros this in 6 months.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#15 2019-12-20 02:06:18

testo

Also props to spoony for giving me longest laugh this month.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#16 2019-12-20 02:12:18

Gogo
Banned

Before click we don't know if it's new or old topic. Too much clicking. It's funny, he declares to be so focused on parenting in a game yet he doesn't care about people here. He just pretend or lose himself (I bet his diet have something to do with it tongue).

Last edited by Gogo (2019-12-20 02:13:15)

#17 2019-12-20 02:16:41

Lava

Just start a new topic god damn it. spoon trolling Hella hard from vegan eves to necro threads.

#18 2019-12-20 03:11:02

karltown_veteran

arkajalka wrote:

I'm gay

DarkDrak wrote:

Me too.

arkajalka wrote:

Wow we are both gay. We should be gay together

DarkDrak wrote:

Yes let us have a gay relationship UwU

Last edited by karltown_veteran (2019-12-20 03:12:21)

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#19 2019-12-20 03:57:45

Spoonwood

Melea wrote:

Starting to read through a "new" thread just to find that the whole thing is a discussion that petered out a long time ago, with poster's premises often based on what is now outdated material...it's annoying.

I think that the threads I've bumped are ones made by Jason mostly, if not entirely?  I'm not so sure that Jason based on his premises on antecedants that no longer apply.

Danish Clinch.

#20 2019-12-20 04:03:32

Spoonwood

Gogo wrote:

It's funny, he declares to be so focused on parenting in a game yet he doesn't care about people here.

Look, I welcome other people stating their opinions.

Also, Lava, no I'm not doing what I've done merely to get some sort of rise out of people.

I'm not happy that people feel annoyed, but I still rather have people feel annoyed and read more of the old threads which provide some context than just skip clicking through links.  Why?  Because they're more informed that way.  And I think it's better to be informed and annoyed than uninformed and satisfied.  At least for some things.

Danish Clinch.

#21 2019-12-20 04:03:43

arkajalka

karltown_veteran wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

I'm gay

DarkDrak wrote:

Me too.

arkajalka wrote:

Wow we are both gay. We should be gay together

DarkDrak wrote:

Yes let us have a gay relationship UwU

XD commense gay party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MC0G-Lbuuk

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#22 2019-12-20 07:18:34

happynova

People were asking on a different thread why the forums are a lot less active these days?

For my part, I check in regularly, pretty much whenever I got bored.  And every time I do, I see that it's still overwhelmingly dominated by Spoonwood and his whining and complaining and ridiculously annoying necroing of old threads, and I nope right back out again.

Nice job, buddy.

#23 2019-12-20 07:57:41

FulmenTheFinn

Over at another forum I frequent, https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in … tudio.720/, they ban people who repeatedly necro threads that have been inactive for over 30 days, and lock the necro'd thread. Why moderators aren't doing anything about someone repeatedly necroing over half a year old threads on this board is baffling.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#24 2019-12-20 08:15:37

Spoonwood

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

Over at another forum I frequent, https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in … tudio.720/, they ban people who repeatedly necro threads that have been inactive for over 30 days, and lock the necro'd thread. Why moderators aren't doing anything about someone repeatedly necroing over half a year old threads on this board is baffling.

Perhaps because I've had information in the threads I've revived.  Also, perhaps, because there exists serious discussions by others.  Here's an example where DestinyCall, Kinrany, and I think some others come up with new ideas: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=5824&p=3

Honestly, to me it's baffling that you think that reviving old threads can't have any relevance to present concerns.  Do you think every point got considered in long posts by Jason?  Do you think that everyone spoke up, when some people, as they put it, 'don't want to get involved in the drama'?  Do you think that all old issues somehow magically disappear and get resolved?

Honestly, it's also baffling to me that moderators do that.  It's an imposition on the freedom of speech.  And for what reason?  Because people don't want to think about old issues still present in a new context?

Morti mass bumping threads with some meme ad nauseum is one thing.  But if you took the time to read what I've written, perhaps you would learn that I haven't been doing that.

Danish Clinch.

#25 2019-12-20 08:29:09

DestinyCall

Or perhaps it is because these forums have notoriously lax moderation.

When your audience stages an intervention, maybe it is time to consider changing your approach.   Just saying ...

Board footer