One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-19 10:36:14

Thaulos

#2 2019-12-19 10:44:29

Keyin

Re: El Risitas talks about the Rift

Thanks for making that video, freaking hilarious. I was wondering why cross family cursing became a thing (it undermines war), and the video answers it. lol

#3 2019-12-19 14:04:01

Spoonwood

Awesome video overall.  I do have some comments though:

Enabling feral Eves to have the ability to easily find towns, and them not having any consequences for evil behavior, had been known to be a problem in the weeks following The Come Together Disaster.  I heard that the game once had everyone spawn in the same point in the center of the map who was not a child.  If I've understood that correctly, the problem of feral Eves having an easy ability to find towns perhaps was known to be a potential issue back the, thought perhaps it gotten forgot about.  I don't know.

Dodge made a comment back in May about a finite map:

Dodge wrote:

Make the map limited with limited ressources, earth is round.

An upgrade to the iron mine maybe with a diesel engine that uses kerosene.

Oil nerf but balanced so that getting enough iron is possible

Something beyond oil but very hard to achieve like electricity maybe

A possibility to either win or fail, Sustainable ressources trough making the right choices vs Using all the ressources and running out

Watch everyone cooperate or fight over the limited ressources

That was shortly after The Come Together Disaster, in a post by a player who went by the name of Buggy who had started Twitch streaming OHOL a few weeks earlier and said she specifically started streaming because she thought more people 'should' play the game.  After that she shortly stopped streaming, probably isn't playing, and left a note around her somewhere that she was done playing because of how bad The Come Together Disaster had changed things.

Rodney responded:

RodneyC86 wrote:

A finite earth would be pretty interesting yeah, I would love the world to evolve to having a central city where city/town/village heads convene and argue about resources, it will amount to nothing though, like real life , but maybe it will turn into a conference room stab fest while everyone e is wearing suits. but that's fun shit RP.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6481

Dodge replied to Rodney's comment as follows:

Dodge wrote:

A good use for the fancy clothes

Dodge also talked about a finite map here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6647

Moreover, Jason had the idea of a finite map concept as far back as April:

jasonrohrer wrote:

So, some crazy, off-the wall ideas:

1.  OHOL played on a finite map.

2.  OHOL played on a shrinking map (an island with a rising tide).

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6087

Why was Jason interested in a finite map and resource contention?

jasonrohrer wrote:

As I've said many times, I want your decisions in the game to matter, at all levels.

Why?

Because such things will create interesting and varied stories.  There are already lots of interesting life stories coming out of the game, and I'm extremely proud of that fact, and I love those stories.  But I want MORE.  I want to turn that crazy/interesting story knob until it twists all the way off.  I want no two lives to ever be the same.  Not even a little bit the same.  Not even similar.

Think about it this way:  if your family really matters to you, that doesn't mean that family survival drama or conflict with other families will necessarily be part of every life you live.  You may live some lives where your family is in isolation, and has sufficient resources, and it simply never comes up.  However, it means that it will be possible, and thus part of some of the lives you live.  Oh, in this one life, there was this other family pushing into our village and taking our land, and we had to decide what to do about it.  One more type of story.

(same source as above).

I would guess that Jason wants such, because having such would result in the greatest number of people becoming hooked on OHOL.  The real issue, in my opinion, with the problems that plagued The Rift, and perhaps other proposals is that Jason's desire to have interesting stories isn't always compatible with the nature of the game, specifically the core concepts of parenting and civilization building and the multiplayer aspect of the game. 

Additionally, Ollj objected to The Rift the day before Jason made the News notes here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7366

Someone else might have objected also to a finite map along the way.  I didn't and don't know if I would have, but even if I had, there existed so many other things that Jason had looked at, and really the finite map idea just seemed like one of his brainstorming ideas.  All I know is that the week after Ponds Be Damned Gonna Need a Pump Yesterday (The Pump Overhaul... admittedly fault lines are nice and springs pointing to towns is nice as Gogo has pointed out), with Jason fixing the longstanding "short" object above a "tall" object bug, we had a map with many more resources, and I tried to express it was a mistake to shrink the amount of resources did by turning that bug into a feature.  I did see that the world looked more beautiful with more burdock, milkweed, berries, ponds, rabbits, and the like in it than with fewer and had more potential for people living in a dense area.

Also, I said to Dodge here:

Spoonwood wrote:

The whole rift idea also indicates a problem, since it limits potential growth.  The finite map idea never made a lick of sense, because of that limiting of potential player growth.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7657

But admittedly, that doesn't mean that I had figured out the small map concept as flawed as far back as April.  I might have been uncertain about such at the time, and realized later that it never made any sense.

Perhaps, the real issue with The Rift, was the notion that resource contention made for a good way to create sustainable interest for players.  And from what I can tell, successful games don't seem to have this notion that "everything runs out" will end up working for the game.  Plenty of people have objected to the "everything runs out" concept along the way from what I can tell.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-19 14:12:33)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-12-19 14:41:18

Cantface

Thanks for the giggles, Thaulos! You made me and my better half laugh. :'D binge watching some of your OHOL vids now, good stuff.

Breasticles

#5 2019-12-19 19:03:50

Gogo
Banned

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Epic video.

Board footer